Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  RE: TOS to Ohio?

Topic:  RE: TOS to Ohio?
Author
Message
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,257

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/28/2021 11:06:26 AM 
rpbobcat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Bobcat Love wrote:
Rolling out the search to Texas Tech, New Mexico, and the fine institutions of the Dakotas in the Fall of '22....every derelict Tier 5 College Administrator is getting their CV ready for us. UGH.


I get the point here, but the appointment people are happy with went to Northeastern, Temple, and his only academic experience is at Ohio. Those aren't credentials that would bowl you over.

There's obviously a benefit to hiring an 'insider' who knows the University, so I have no actual quibble with the hire. But his credentials don't jump off the page for an academic.


The two schools of thought here were that the next President should have an Academic or Business background.

Mr.Sherman is an Academic,but his educational expertise is in business.

Now he's got 2 years to prove himself.



Is he interested in taking the job permanently or is he just a caretaker until they get a permanent replacement two years down the road? Caretakers rarely make their own mark.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 7,510

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/28/2021 11:08:18 AM 
Pataskala wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Bobcat Love wrote:
Rolling out the search to Texas Tech, New Mexico, and the fine institutions of the Dakotas in the Fall of '22....every derelict Tier 5 College Administrator is getting their CV ready for us. UGH.


I get the point here, but the appointment people are happy with went to Northeastern, Temple, and his only academic experience is at Ohio. Those aren't credentials that would bowl you over.

There's obviously a benefit to hiring an 'insider' who knows the University, so I have no actual quibble with the hire. But his credentials don't jump off the page for an academic.


The two schools of thought here were that the next President should have an Academic or Business background.

Mr.Sherman is an Academic,but his educational expertise is in business.

Now he's got 2 years to prove himself.



Is he interested in taking the job permanently or is he just a caretaker until they get a permanent replacement two years down the road? Caretakers rarely make their own mark.


Article I read gave the impression he’s just the care taker.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,851

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/28/2021 12:53:44 PM 

[/QUOTE]

Caretakers rarely make their own mark. [/QUOTE]


Harry Crewson would disagree.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 11,658

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/28/2021 10:54:29 PM 
My sources tell me that the Board of Trustees by giving him a two-year contract wanted to make it clear that he wasn't just a "caretaker." They expect him to make meaningful and needed changes. They also are definitely not giving him the title of "interim president," which Harry Crewson was pinned with but which was later officially removed from his title. I knew Dr. Crewson. He was a neighbor when I grew up in Athens. One time in later years I was a guest in his home, and I referred to his presidency as "interim." Big mistake! He bristled at my statement and told me in no uncertain terms that he was not an "interim president." I then found out that though that was how his appointment was initially announced that university records now show him simply as president, not interim president. Semantics, maybe, but to Harry it was an important distinction. Though his term was short, he made meaningful changes and had the full authority of president while he held the office. Let us hope that Dr. Sherman does as well. And, I believe if the university begins to prosper again under his leadership that it's possible he might have his contracted extended to a longer, more typical term. The Trustees are not going to drop him if he appears to be the best person to guide our ship of state. The Trustees appear to be open to several different scenarios depending on how things unfold. Stay tuned . . . I think in terms of Alma Mater we live in interesting times.

Finally, I agree with my friend rpbobcat that kicking Nellis to the curb was the necessary first step in righting the ship. The jury is, obviously, still out on Sherman, but I'm cautiously optimistic that he will be the right person at the right time.

Last Edited: 5/28/2021 11:05:25 PM by OhioCatFan


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
OUPride
General User

Member Since: 9/21/2010
Post Count: 499

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/29/2021 7:20:07 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
My sources tell me that the Board of Trustees by giving him a two-year contract wanted to make it clear that he wasn't just a "caretaker." They expect him to make meaningful and needed changes. They also are definitely not giving him the title of "interim president," which Harry Crewson was pinned with but which was later officially removed from his title. I knew Dr. Crewson. He was a neighbor when I grew up in Athens. One time in later years I was a guest in his home, and I referred to his presidency as "interim." Big mistake! He bristled at my statement and told me in no uncertain terms that he was not an "interim president." I then found out that though that was how his appointment was initially announced that university records now show him simply as president, not interim president. Semantics, maybe, but to Harry it was an important distinction. Though his term was short, he made meaningful changes and had the full authority of president while he held the office. Let us hope that Dr. Sherman does as well. And, I believe if the university begins to prosper again under his leadership that it's possible he might have his contracted extended to a longer, more typical term. The Trustees are not going to drop him if he appears to be the best person to guide our ship of state. The Trustees appear to be open to several different scenarios depending on how things unfold. Stay tuned . . . I think in terms of Alma Mater we live in interesting times.

Finally, I agree with my friend rpbobcat that kicking Nellis to the curb was the necessary first step in righting the ship. The jury is, obviously, still out on Sherman, but I'm cautiously optimistic that he will be the right person at the right time.


I agree entirely. I stuck up for Nellis in the past only because I felt he inherited a ticking time bomb from the last guy. It's clear now that he didn't forcefully dive into addressing those issues and instead viewed the role as some kind of caretaker while he cashed the checks. We really need a guy with some vision, a guy with the view that he needs to roll up his sleeves, get dirty and throw a few punches. Apologies in advance for the OSU analogy (it's my reference point from working in the Ohio Senate), but we need to find our Ed Jennings. Everyone in Columbus lionized Gee (at least until his comically disastrous second go around), but it was the guy before him that righted the ship and made OSU what it is today. McDavis would have been a good Gee 1.0; the only problem is that he wasn't preceded by a Jennings.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 7,510

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/29/2021 10:49:41 AM 
OCF, I agree with you on the “intent” with the two year contract and making him a “real” President, shows something positive towards commitment. Announcing the timeline for the search for the “next” President shows the opposite. He effectively is a lame duck.
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 3,052

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/29/2021 1:40:34 PM 
I'm looking forward to hearing what Mr.Sherman has to say about this whole situation.

I would also think that,if he's interested,and doing a good job,he could be one of the candidates unearthed in a "Nationwide Search".

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 3,052

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 6/11/2021 6:45:21 AM 
According to The Post,Nellis will be taking Paid Professional Leave and won't be
in a classroom until "at least 2022".

According to the article for about the net year,including the sabaticl,he gets a salary of $489,357.00.

Not a bad deal.
Back to Top
  
cbus cat fan
General User

Member Since: 12/2/2011
Post Count: 1,098

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 6/11/2021 9:59:52 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
According to The Post,Nellis will be taking Paid Professional Leave and won't be
in a classroom until "at least 2022".

According to the article for about the net year,including the sabaticl,he gets a salary of $489,357.00.

Not a bad deal.


This is why Higher Ed gets a bad name, not to mention why tuition is so high. The exiled President of the university gets a salary roughly 2-3x that of the state's highest paid elected official. What lofty services are required for this most generous salary; a sabbatical. You can't make this stuff up.

Last Edited: 6/11/2021 10:02:37 PM by cbus cat fan

Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 3,844

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 6/12/2021 8:43:13 AM 
cbus cat fan wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
According to The Post,Nellis will be taking Paid Professional Leave and won't be
in a classroom until "at least 2022".

According to the article for about the net year,including the sabaticl,he gets a salary of $489,357.00.

Not a bad deal.


This is why Higher Ed gets a bad name, not to mention why tuition is so high. The exiled President of the university gets a salary roughly 2-3x that of the state's highest paid elected official. What lofty services are required for this most generous salary; a sabbatical. You can't make this stuff up.


So it operates just like a corporation, in other words.

Back to Top
  
cbus cat fan
General User

Member Since: 12/2/2011
Post Count: 1,098

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 6/12/2021 10:40:25 AM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
cbus cat fan wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
According to The Post,Nellis will be taking Paid Professional Leave and won't be
in a classroom until "at least 2022".

According to the article for about the net year,including the sabaticl,he gets a salary of $489,357.00.

Not a bad deal.


This is why Higher Ed gets a bad name, not to mention why tuition is so high. The exiled President of the university gets a salary roughly 2-3x that of the state's highest paid elected official. What lofty services are required for this most generous salary; a sabbatical. You can't make this stuff up.


So it operates just like a corporation, in other words.



No, not really, Higher Ed is pretty much paid for by those attending the university and the citizens of that state funding it.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 61  of 61 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             




Copyright ©2021 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties