Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  RE: TOS to Ohio?

Topic:  RE: TOS to Ohio?
Author
Message
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 11,658

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/15/2021 1:34:49 PM 
OUPride wrote:
I don't know much about the current board composition, but I hardly think that Dewine has appointed much of the board since he's only been in office for a little over two years.

What I can tell about the board is that it is very incestuous in that almost all the members are Ohio alums. That kind of insularity can breed complacency. I'd like to see a mix of Ohio alums and prominent alums of other schools.


By statute, a majority of the board has to be Ohio alumni. I believe, though this could have changed since I last looked, that we are the only state school that has this requirement written into law. Of course, to your point, that still leaves four slots for non-alumni. I don't disagree that alma mater diversity in these slots would be a good idea.

https://www.ohio.edu/trustees/membership-selection


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
OUPride
General User

Member Since: 9/21/2010
Post Count: 499

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/15/2021 1:56:19 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
OUPride wrote:
I don't know much about the current board composition, but I hardly think that Dewine has appointed much of the board since he's only been in office for a little over two years.

What I can tell about the board is that it is very incestuous in that almost all the members are Ohio alums. That kind of insularity can breed complacency. I'd like to see a mix of Ohio alums and prominent alums of other schools.


By statute, a majority of the board has to be Ohio alumni. I believe, though this could have changed since I last looked, that we are the only state school that has this requirement written into law. Of course, to your point, that still leaves four slots for non-alumni. I don't disagree that alma mater diversity in these slots would be a good idea.

https://www.ohio.edu/trustees/membership-selection


Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting a bunch of OSU, Miami or UC alums on the board. More alums of top privates and out of state publics to bring in the proverbial "fresh set of eyes" would, however, be beneficial in my opinion.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 11,658

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/15/2021 1:59:57 PM 
OUPride wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
OUPride wrote:
I don't know much about the current board composition, but I hardly think that Dewine has appointed much of the board since he's only been in office for a little over two years.

What I can tell about the board is that it is very incestuous in that almost all the members are Ohio alums. That kind of insularity can breed complacency. I'd like to see a mix of Ohio alums and prominent alums of other schools.


By statute, a majority of the board has to be Ohio alumni. I believe, though this could have changed since I last looked, that we are the only state school that has this requirement written into law. Of course, to your point, that still leaves four slots for non-alumni. I don't disagree that alma mater diversity in these slots would be a good idea.

https://www.ohio.edu/trustees/membership-selection


Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting a bunch of OSU, Miami or UC alums on the board. More alums of top privates and out of state publics to bring in the proverbial "fresh set of eyes" would, however, be beneficial in my opinion.


I agree totally with this line of thinking.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,515

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/15/2021 5:05:04 PM 
A nine year term is an awfully long term.
Back to Top
  
cbus cat fan
General User

Member Since: 12/2/2011
Post Count: 1,098

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/15/2021 10:41:30 PM 
When I think of Ohio's public universities, the game of Jenga come to mind. The tower looks beautifual at first, but we are fast approaching a collapse of monumental proportions in the next economic downturn. OCF, Alan and OUPride, have a better handle on the specifics, but a couple of things keep coming to mind. First off, OU Pride's mention of the fact that Ohio has more doctoral programs in the state univerity system than does California, a state more than 3x our size.

Even some of the vaunted Ohio 5 schools are scratching their heads concerning their future budgets and expectations. One administrator there told me that she has seen a marked rise in the number of administartors in the last 20 years. However, a lot of that is due to "student affirming" posisitions as she put it; stress counselors, special tutors and counselors positions that didn't exist 20 years ago.

Last night I was at big celebration event with some friends and neighbors, a couple of them had students in Athens and they were quite happy. However, the group really listened attentively to a couple of adults who had students at Cincinnati. When they explained their apprentice type programs and the jobs that came with it, they had every high school parent's full attention.

Our problems have been a long time coming, though we have a lot of loyalty and a medical school with a growing reputation, we also have some of our more famous programs like Journalism in a downward trajectory because the whole print media is on the ropes. Couple that with a region that is experiencing a long term population decline, all the while the country is in the throes one of the sharpest 10 year birth declines the nation has ever seen.

It seems as if UC years ago saw a lot of coming. They focused on student and parents concerns about getting a job. They have moved mountains while we are moving at a glacial pace. The whole thing is sad. We are living with decision that were made 50-60 years ago by governors, legislators, and university presidents who are long dead. It is not too late to turn it around, but it isn't getting any easier; a comprehensive plan is truly needed.

Last Edited: 5/15/2021 10:44:34 PM by cbus cat fan

Back to Top
  
OUPride
General User

Member Since: 9/21/2010
Post Count: 499

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/15/2021 11:41:18 PM 
cbus cat fan wrote:
When I think of Ohio's public universities, the game of Jenga come to mind. The tower looks beautifual at first, but we are fast approaching a collapse of monumental proportions in the next economic downturn. OCF, Alan and OUPride, have a better handle on the specifics, but a couple of things keep coming to mind. First off, OU Pride's mention of the fact that Ohio has more doctoral programs in the state univerity system than does California, a state more than 3x our size.

Even some of the vaunted Ohio 5 schools are scratching their heads concerning their future budgets and expectations. One administrator there told me that she has seen a marked rise in the number of administartors in the last 20 years. However, a lot of that is due to "student affirming" posisitions as she put it; stress counselors, special tutors and counselors positions that didn't exist 20 years ago.

Last night I was at big celebration event with some friends and neighbors, a couple of them had students in Athens and they were quite happy. However, the group really listened attentively to a couple of adults who had students at Cincinnati. When they explained their apprentice type programs and the jobs that came with it, they had every high school parent's full attention.

Our problems have been a long time coming, though we have a lot of loyalty and a medical school with a growing reputation, we also have some of our more famous programs like Journalism in a downward trajectory because the whole print media is on the ropes. Couple that with a region that is experiencing a long term population decline, all the while the country is in the throes one of the sharpest 10 year birth declines the nation has ever seen.

It seems as if UC years ago saw a lot of coming. They focused on student and parents concerns about getting a job. They have moved mountains while we are moving at a glacial pace. The whole thing is sad. We are living with decision that were made 50-60 years ago by governors, legislators, and university presidents who are long dead. It is not too late to turn it around, but it isn't getting any easier; a comprehensive plan is truly needed.


There are four guaranteed winners when the Jenga tower comes crashing down: Ohio State, Case, Kenyon and Oberlin. Everybody else is in play. Some are in a stronger position than others: UC, Fiami, the other three of the "Ohio5" and I believe Ohio University are that next group. UC, I believe, is probably the best positioned of that next group. Sadly, I believe that Ohio might be in the weakest position in it. That is why the next presidential hire is so utterly crucial to the future of OUr university. We have to to up our research profile, compete with Fiami and UC for top Ohio kids and up our rankings big time.
Back to Top
  
Club Hyatt
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,287

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/16/2021 10:27:17 AM 
cbus cat fan wrote:
When I think of Ohio's public universities, the game of Jenga come to mind. The tower looks beautifual at first, but we are fast approaching a collapse of monumental proportions in the next economic downturn. OCF, Alan and OUPride, have a better handle on the specifics, but a couple of things keep coming to mind. First off, OU Pride's mention of the fact that Ohio has more doctoral programs in the state univerity system than does California, a state more than 3x our size.

Even some of the vaunted Ohio 5 schools are scratching their heads concerning their future budgets and expectations. One administrator there told me that she has seen a marked rise in the number of administartors in the last 20 years. However, a lot of that is due to "student affirming" posisitions as she put it; stress counselors, special tutors and counselors positions that didn't exist 20 years ago.

Last night I was at big celebration event with some friends and neighbors, a couple of them had students in Athens and they were quite happy. However, the group really listened attentively to a couple of adults who had students at Cincinnati. When they explained their apprentice type programs and the jobs that came with it, they had every high school parent's full attention.

Our problems have been a long time coming, though we have a lot of loyalty and a medical school with a growing reputation, we also have some of our more famous programs like Journalism in a downward trajectory because the whole print media is on the ropes. Couple that with a region that is experiencing a long term population decline, all the while the country is in the throes one of the sharpest 10 year birth declines the nation has ever seen.


The main threat is the cost model OU has run with a.k.a two year dorm requirement, 5 years to graduate and packing the campus to the brim is all in question.

Free community college is a game changer because it makes sense to go that route rather than pay two years to sit in the dorms at a state university. That cuts your total graduation costs by 2/3rds. Community colleges in more diverse states though tend to have greater public acceptance. Community college in Ohio from what I can recall is more about educating non-traditional students so its frowned upon by middle and upper middle class parents. Will that be true if its completely free?

The cultural shift away from colleges being the place where you go to find your partner and more just a way to get your career started makes it less of a hang out experience which is where OU excelled over the city colleges. I'm sure the lower enrollment figures play a factor there. OU to its credit has made a significant investment in STEM fields which helps.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
cbus cat fan
General User

Member Since: 12/2/2011
Post Count: 1,098

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/16/2021 2:10:05 PM 
Interesting perspetives OUPride and Club Hyatt.

OU Pride, the Ohio 5 administrator told me that Dennison and Oberlin are in the best shape of their group with Ohio Wesleyan being in the worst shape, though still far better off than most public or private schools. Public schools like Akron must be in a world of hurt, not to mention private schools like Rio Grande. How long can places like that survive? No one wants to be the next Urbana which went belly up. Franklin tried to resurrect them and add a nice rural campus to their portfolio, but it cost them millions. I doubt anyone ever tries that Florence Nightingale approach again.

Club Hyatt, I can tell you this about Columbus State. In my circle of friends and neighbors, I can't begin to name the stories I have heard in the last few years of students who went out of state to school, went to a Division II college for football, basketball, volleyball etc and then realized it wasn't as fun as the old days in high school. They then went to Columbus State for a year until they figured out their long term plan and went to a larger public or private school. They saved lots of money and now have a plan. They and their parents speak highly of Columbus State, so that dynamic is definitely changing.
Back to Top
  
Maddog13
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Post Count: 506

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/16/2021 3:34:13 PM 
Ohio needs a President with high tech and research connections. On-line classes and programs that include cutting edge certificate programs need to be formed. Ohio also needs to expand it's international reach to include business, diplomacy, and shared technology between countries. Perhaps, some connections to the Military industrial complex might help, though it would ruffle the feathers of the more progressive wings of the Ohio community; after all, adding a little more mystery and intrigue to Southeastern Ohio on top of everything else shouldn't create too much of a problem (unless something gets free from a lab on campus and creates havoc in and around the Hocking Hills).
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,515

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/16/2021 5:41:35 PM 
Very interesting thread. Lots of comments about research but very little about the only experience that matters for most college students - the undergraduate classroom experience and how that translates into a good job in ones field upon graduation.

I'd like to see a young - mid to late 40s - dynamic but genuine president who chooses to live in the president's house, is out and about, has a spouse who gets very involved in the local community, and who is truly and outwardly committed to learning and teaching. Like a good basketball or football coach, a student's teacher. So they only stay here 5 to 7 years, can you imagine what 5 to 7 years of excitement could do for this place. There are up and comers out there that fit that bill. We just need to cast a very wide net and find one.
Back to Top
  
cbus cat fan
General User

Member Since: 12/2/2011
Post Count: 1,098

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/16/2021 7:15:39 PM 
Very true Alan, the interesting thing to me is that I don't recall ever hearing more positive comments about the university than I do now from students and parents. On a personal note, my dealings with the university has never been better. Both faculty and administration have been extremely helpful with me on matters. Yet we are facing some very serious challenges, not the least of which is attracting students in a rural setting (which I personally think is attractive, but those who favor a more urban setting may disagree.) Also the demographic challenges we face are huge. Some 60 years ago Florida was nearly half Ohio's size, now they are nearly double our size. Our nation is experiencing the lowest birth rate in our history. We have to address this situation with new recruiting methods.

Alan's point about the undergradute experience is very true. The Cincinnati apprenticeship and job plan has been resonating with students and their parents for some time, and it continues to impress parents and students who are appraoching college decisions for the first time. I realize the university makes money on dorms, but something has to give. We have to make off campus housing attractive, the University of Dayton ghetto was completely revitalized and most landlords bought out by the university to make it attractive. UD which is far more costly than our beloved Alma mater is having no trouble attracting students. Yet, the Marianist religious order is one of the smaller education oriented orders in the Catholic Church. They only have a couple of high schools in the United States. They are dwarfed by the Jesuits and Dominicans, and yet UD is doing just fine attracting a diverse student body from all over the country.

As I have said before, our adminsitration and the new President needs to go to places like Dayton, Cincinnati and even smaller places like Findlay to see what is working for them. We have no time to lose.

Last Edited: 5/16/2021 7:23:29 PM by cbus cat fan

Back to Top
  
Ohio69
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,820

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/19/2021 7:22:09 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
I'd like to see a young - mid to late 40s - dynamic but genuine president who chooses to live in the president's house, is out and about, has a spouse who gets very involved in the local community, and who is truly and outwardly committed to learning and teaching. Like a good basketball or football coach, a student's teacher. So they only stay here 5 to 7 years, can you imagine what 5 to 7 years of excitement could do for this place. There are up and comers out there that fit that bill. We just need to cast a very wide net and find one.


Mid to late 40s? Would any faculty members respect someone that age?



Can somebody hit a pull up jumper for me?.....

Back to Top
  
Kevin Finnegan
General User

Member Since: 2/4/2005
Location: Rockton, IL
Post Count: 855

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/25/2021 4:09:18 PM 
I know political topics can quickly go astray, but a number of schools have brought in political figures to lead universities in the past. Would OHIO have the ability/interest to recruit someone like John Kasich, who has name recognition both in the state and nationally?
Back to Top
  
OUPride
General User

Member Since: 9/21/2010
Post Count: 499

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/25/2021 5:01:17 PM 
Kevin Finnegan wrote:
I know political topics can quickly go astray, but a number of schools have brought in political figures to lead universities in the past. Would OHIO have the ability/interest to recruit someone like John Kasich, who has name recognition both in the state and nationally?


I'm not sure how much political clout he'd bring us at the statehouse since he's pretty much an apostate in his own political party for not pledging fealty to Trump.

Also, there's the lifelong affiliation with OSU. He's rotated in and out of their administration in between political office. I think if he has a future in Ohio higher ed, it's probably on OSU's board.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,515

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/26/2021 10:18:50 PM 
Ohio69 wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
I'd like to see a young - mid to late 40s - dynamic but genuine president who chooses to live in the president's house, is out and about, has a spouse who gets very involved in the local community, and who is truly and outwardly committed to learning and teaching. Like a good basketball or football coach, a student's teacher. So they only stay here 5 to 7 years, can you imagine what 5 to 7 years of excitement could do for this place. There are up and comers out there that fit that bill. We just need to cast a very wide net and find one.


Mid to late 40s? Would any faculty members respect someone that age?




If they had the right credentials (whatever that means or whatever that's worth) and a commitment to undergraduate teaching. As someone who worked in public schools for almost 40 years, an educational leader is what I'd prefer over most anything else.

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,220

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/27/2021 5:04:14 PM 
It's Hugh Sherman.
Back to Top
  
cbus cat fan
General User

Member Since: 12/2/2011
Post Count: 1,098

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/27/2021 6:03:51 PM 
Wow, lots of moving parts here. Things must have really started to deteriorate that the original plan to let President Nellis stay on until next spring was nixed. It seems the administrator that I spoke with was on to something about the basketball camp fiasco only being the start of the craziness and the axe grinding to come from various disgruntled administrators and faculty across the campus. It seems the Trustees felt they had to stop the bleeding and the uncertainity with a two year appointment. It would appear the budget and enrollment decline would be the first order of business, not sure if they are asking him for a long term plan, since it is only a two year appointment.

It seems Pesident Sherman must have some of the business experience they were looking for with his background in both the US and Europe, not to mention he was educated in both the US and Canada. It will be interesting to see how the dust settles with these rapidly changing events.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,851

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/27/2021 6:25:53 PM 
Great choice.
Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: Akron (sleeper agent)
Post Count: 5,161

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/27/2021 7:48:05 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
It's Hugh Sherman.

Great choice.

College of Business>Scripps.

:-)


I've seen crazier things happen.

Black 41 Flash Reverse

Back to Top
  
Taiwan BC
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Kaohsiung
Post Count: 328

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/27/2021 8:17:43 PM 
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2021/05/27/ohio-unive... /
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 11,658

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/27/2021 10:51:45 PM 
Could he be related to Lancaster's favorite son? Asking for a friend from Fairfield County. ;-)


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 852

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/27/2021 11:14:01 PM 
Rolling out the search to Texas Tech, New Mexico, and the fine institutions of the Dakotas in the Fall of '22....every derelict Tier 5 College Administrator is getting their CV ready for us. UGH.
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 3,052

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/28/2021 6:46:35 AM 
The Optimist wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
It's Hugh Sherman.

Great choice.

College of Business>Scripps.

:-)


I don't know anything about Mr.Sherman.
But,from reading about him,he has an impressive set of credentials.

I do like the fact that he knows O.U.

Of course,I'v been in the "anyone but Nellis camp",since he was announced as
President.

Let's see how this guy does.
He's got what amounts to a 2 year "probation".
Hopefully he turns out to be really good,and loses the "interim" title.

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,220

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/28/2021 7:10:31 AM 
Bobcat Love wrote:
Rolling out the search to Texas Tech, New Mexico, and the fine institutions of the Dakotas in the Fall of '22....every derelict Tier 5 College Administrator is getting their CV ready for us. UGH.


I get the point here, but the appointment people are happy with went to Northeastern, Temple, and his only academic experience is at Ohio. Those aren't credentials that would bowl you over.

There's obviously a benefit to hiring an 'insider' who knows the University, so I have no actual quibble with the hire. But his credentials don't jump off the page for an academic.
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 3,052

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to Ohio?
   Posted: 5/28/2021 8:12:31 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Bobcat Love wrote:
Rolling out the search to Texas Tech, New Mexico, and the fine institutions of the Dakotas in the Fall of '22....every derelict Tier 5 College Administrator is getting their CV ready for us. UGH.


I get the point here, but the appointment people are happy with went to Northeastern, Temple, and his only academic experience is at Ohio. Those aren't credentials that would bowl you over.

There's obviously a benefit to hiring an 'insider' who knows the University, so I have no actual quibble with the hire. But his credentials don't jump off the page for an academic.


The two schools of thought here were that the next President should have an Academic or Business background.

Mr.Sherman is an Academic,but his educational expertise is in business.

Now he's got 2 years to prove himself.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 50  of 61 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3    Next >
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             




Copyright ©2021 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties