Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan

Topic:  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
Author
Message
ExVideoCat
General User

Member Since: 9/4/2021
Post Count: 101

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/5/2021 7:57:25 PM 
GoCats105 wrote:
SBH wrote:
I expect a university with a highly respected communication school to be able to produce professional videos. Sorry. Every other MAC school can do it.



I get what ExVideoCat is saying, but I have to agree. We want to be an FBS school and a top MAC program we need to start acting like it.


But you see how this is an athletics problem, not a WOUB problem. WOUB couldíve told athletics to kick rocks when they asked for a copy of the presser, but they didnít. WOUB shouldnít have to edit videos for athletics, and since athletics doesnít have any video people currently you get what you get. Just direct your criticism at the right place. Is it athletics fault that they havenít filled video positions yet? Absolutely. Is it WOUBís job to edit pressers for athletics? No.

I just want to let you guys (maybe not you specifically) know how incredibly difficult you made my job at times and when you complain as much as you do, how that weighs on our burn out. Some schools upload pressers, some donít. Itís not required (even though it sort of is now since the MAC requires it), but what should be the easiest thing I had to do during a week became the biggest pain in my butt. I wanted to live stream these but since we didnít have and couldnít afford the equipment at the time to stream in stereo that got nixed. Then the emails flooded in that you couldnít hear the question. I tried to just use the mic on the camera, but that wasnít good enough. FB wasnít that big of a deal, but for MBB I had to run around to collect equipment in the two minutes between the game ending and presser starting to get a stupid microphone that could be passed around. Then when I tried to upload just one big press conference with time stamps you could click in the video to go from coach to players, that wasnít good enough and it had to be two separate videos (which when youíre trying to go home or work on videos at 11 PM after a game, that extra time adds up and heaven forbid we donít put that thing out the second it happens). Iím honestly surprised angry emails didnít come in about us not doing post game football press conferences and me having to try and find a way to swing that too. All of those changes werenít changes I wanted to make. They all came after emails from probably one average Joe that has no idea of the internals of the department but we had to bend over backwards to please them.

Itís a good thing this message board seemingly only cares about the two sports I left a student to cover or youíd really be imploding right now. FH has 3 wins at home and no highlights or videos. Soccer has 4 wins at home with no highlights or videos. VB has one whole win this season at home and it might be their only one and no video or highlights. Nothing to commemorate Carlstonís first win back.

It may seem like at times no one responds to your complaints, but I can guarantee you that we were at least having conversations about them (and I personally was checking the boards hoping for a smidge of positive reception about a video I made, but it was seemingly never good enough.. Example, I didnít use Russ for a video, I used a hip hop instrumental, the press conference wasnít bright enough when I had the camera maxed out but you didnít know that thereís only like 8 lights in the room we shoot those in.)

You wanna be a top FBS school? Maybe the members of the board here should pull together the funds for an endowment position to supplement the lack of income and resources we had and then you guys can call all the shots you want since you pay for it.

On the way out, I suggested obtaining 2 or 3 GAs that could help the one single video person. To date, it doesnít seem like theyíre going to do that and just go back to the one person for 16 sports model. Personally, if thatís the route they go, I hope the position is never filled and I can kick back and watch you complain about all the WOUB videos and how theyíre not up to FBS standard when they have NOTHING to do with athletics.

*End rant*

Last Edited: 10/5/2021 8:00:36 PM by ExVideoCat

Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,953

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 9:19:17 AM 
ExVideoCat wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
SBH wrote:
I expect a university with a highly respected communication school to be able to produce professional videos. Sorry. Every other MAC school can do it.



I get what ExVideoCat is saying, but I have to agree. We want to be an FBS school and a top MAC program we need to start acting like it.


But you see how this is an athletics problem, not a WOUB problem. WOUB couldíve told athletics to kick rocks when they asked for a copy of the presser, but they didnít. WOUB shouldnít have to edit videos for athletics, and since athletics doesnít have any video people currently you get what you get. Just direct your criticism at the right place. Is it athletics fault that they havenít filled video positions yet? Absolutely. Is it WOUBís job to edit pressers for athletics? No.

I just want to let you guys (maybe not you specifically) know how incredibly difficult you made my job at times and when you complain as much as you do, how that weighs on our burn out. Some schools upload pressers, some donít. Itís not required (even though it sort of is now since the MAC requires it), but what should be the easiest thing I had to do during a week became the biggest pain in my butt. I wanted to live stream these but since we didnít have and couldnít afford the equipment at the time to stream in stereo that got nixed. Then the emails flooded in that you couldnít hear the question. I tried to just use the mic on the camera, but that wasnít good enough. FB wasnít that big of a deal, but for MBB I had to run around to collect equipment in the two minutes between the game ending and presser starting to get a stupid microphone that could be passed around. Then when I tried to upload just one big press conference with time stamps you could click in the video to go from coach to players, that wasnít good enough and it had to be two separate videos (which when youíre trying to go home or work on videos at 11 PM after a game, that extra time adds up and heaven forbid we donít put that thing out the second it happens). Iím honestly surprised angry emails didnít come in about us not doing post game football press conferences and me having to try and find a way to swing that too. All of those changes werenít changes I wanted to make. They all came after emails from probably one average Joe that has no idea of the internals of the department but we had to bend over backwards to please them.

Itís a good thing this message board seemingly only cares about the two sports I left a student to cover or youíd really be imploding right now. FH has 3 wins at home and no highlights or videos. Soccer has 4 wins at home with no highlights or videos. VB has one whole win this season at home and it might be their only one and no video or highlights. Nothing to commemorate Carlstonís first win back.

It may seem like at times no one responds to your complaints, but I can guarantee you that we were at least having conversations about them (and I personally was checking the boards hoping for a smidge of positive reception about a video I made, but it was seemingly never good enough.. Example, I didnít use Russ for a video, I used a hip hop instrumental, the press conference wasnít bright enough when I had the camera maxed out but you didnít know that thereís only like 8 lights in the room we shoot those in.)

You wanna be a top FBS school? Maybe the members of the board here should pull together the funds for an endowment position to supplement the lack of income and resources we had and then you guys can call all the shots you want since you pay for it.

On the way out, I suggested obtaining 2 or 3 GAs that could help the one single video person. To date, it doesnít seem like theyíre going to do that and just go back to the one person for 16 sports model. Personally, if thatís the route they go, I hope the position is never filled and I can kick back and watch you complain about all the WOUB videos and how theyíre not up to FBS standard when they have NOTHING to do with athletics.

*End rant*


I appreciate these deep thoughts every time you dive into them and it's like preaching to the choir around here as far as ponying up to make sure we have the funds to get the coverage we want. I think sometimes folks assume Ohio can just set up a camera and mic, let it roll and bingo bango you have a press conference readily available for public use.

I think maybe for a time this department and fans were spoiled when we had Evan Shaw in house and his team was producing some great content for the entire AD. You gotta have a person willing to put in the work and a passion for the job. Right now Ohio doesn't. I agree with your points that we should be directing our complaints towards those responsible, but we (collective Ohio fandom and alum, we) need to do our part in helping these guys.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,799

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 9:47:12 AM 
Listen, I'm not harping on about some guy at WOUB or a video guy who feels (and likely is) overworked.

My point is that when I watch coach press conferences and other video content from other MAC schools, theirs is far superior these days. Last week's press conference - camera crooked, sound atrocious - was embarrassing.

Compare that with Akron's press conference videos. We look like a junior high school in comparison...and Akron is known throughout NE Ohio as "Hilltop High." Many of their academic programs and associated technology are horrible. Yet they put us to shame.

I certainly understand VideoGuy's irritation but do not appreciate the "Hey, that's not my responsibility" crap that too often comes from folks who work in higher education. Ohio is a brand. Our video product should burnish that brand.



Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 4,210

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 10:02:41 AM 
SBH wrote:
Listen, I'm not harping on about some guy at WOUB or a video guy who feels (and likely is) overworked.

My point is that when I watch coach press conferences and other video content from other MAC schools, theirs is far superior these days. Last week's press conference - camera crooked, sound atrocious - was embarrassing.

Compare that with Akron's press conference videos. We look like a junior high school in comparison...and Akron is known throughout NE Ohio as "Hilltop High." Many of their academic programs and associated technology are horrible. Yet they put us to shame.

I certainly understand VideoGuy's irritation but do not appreciate the "Hey, that's not my responsibility" crap that too often comes from folks who work in higher education. Ohio is a brand. Our video product should burnish that brand.





Exactly. The little things matter. "All In" and "Relentless" were cool, but I don't need that level of care. Making sure the A/V quality for a press conference is good enough that it's not a distraction, updating the heights and weights on the basketball roster, announcing three new basketball player signings, announcing the complete basketball schedule (unless there are contracts still finalizing - only 28 teams in the country still have not announced their full schedule including us) updating the women's basketball roster with our new players.

I don't need a human interest feature story on the website or in video every other day, but when there are three men's basketball players who have been signed for months and there hasn't been a corresponding piece on the website saying so, we're not meeting bare minimums.


EDIT: I just saw a new men's basketball game was added that we didn't previously know....

Last Edited: 10/6/2021 10:07:52 AM by shabamon

Back to Top
  
ExVideoCat
General User

Member Since: 9/4/2021
Post Count: 101

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 10:10:37 AM 
SBH wrote:
Listen, I'm not harping on about some guy at WOUB or a video guy who feels (and likely is) overworked.

My point is that when I watch coach press conferences and other video content from other MAC schools, theirs is far superior these days. Last week's press conference - camera crooked, sound atrocious - was embarrassing.

Compare that with Akron's press conference videos. We look like a junior high school in comparison...and Akron is known throughout NE Ohio as "Hilltop High." Many of their academic programs and associated technology are horrible. Yet they put us to shame.

I certainly understand VideoGuy's irritation but do not appreciate the "Hey, that's not my responsibility" crap that too often comes from folks who work in higher education. Ohio is a brand. Our video product should burnish that brand.





But once again, itís not our video product from an athletics perspective. Thatís just WOUB giving us something to cover our butt. Akron has a full timer. Any full timer that has in person pressers should be able to competently do this. If you want a good example, CMU lost their full timer. Nothing on their YouTube. Toledo doesnít post them. Ohio State doesnít post them. Memphis is still doing Zooms.

WOUB is put in a really bad spot because thereís zero oversight of their sports department. Itís students teaching students. What their professors teach them in class Iíll never know, but I can tell you in a lot of my interactions with WOUB students when Iíd show or tell them something it blew their mind because it never was taught to them. Iíve heard good things about one of the WOUB employees whose name is escaping me, but I can say with relative certainty almost none of the J-school cares or knows about sports. If they did, theyíd see their student with a sideways camera and tell them how to fix it. Theyíd tell them how to shoot the games better. They donít though. Itís on the students to figure out. Not to talk completely bad about my former employer, but everyone talks about how good the J-school is but I never saw it. The students I interacted with that will succeed are the ones that went out and grinded themselves, asked questions, sought help from professionals. Those that didnít, wonít. Iíll say that in my time there (about 4 years) the number of people I know will fail (or extremely struggle) far outnumbered those I think will succeed.
Back to Top
  
ExVideoCat
General User

Member Since: 9/4/2021
Post Count: 101

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 10:28:11 AM 
shabamon wrote:
SBH wrote:
Listen, I'm not harping on about some guy at WOUB or a video guy who feels (and likely is) overworked.

My point is that when I watch coach press conferences and other video content from other MAC schools, theirs is far superior these days. Last week's press conference - camera crooked, sound atrocious - was embarrassing.

Compare that with Akron's press conference videos. We look like a junior high school in comparison...and Akron is known throughout NE Ohio as "Hilltop High." Many of their academic programs and associated technology are horrible. Yet they put us to shame.

I certainly understand VideoGuy's irritation but do not appreciate the "Hey, that's not my responsibility" crap that too often comes from folks who work in higher education. Ohio is a brand. Our video product should burnish that brand.





Exactly. The little things matter. "All In" and "Relentless" were cool, but I don't need that level of care. Making sure the A/V quality for a press conference is good enough that it's not a distraction, updating the heights and weights on the basketball roster, announcing three new basketball player signings, announcing the complete basketball schedule (unless there are contracts still finalizing - only 28 teams in the country still have not announced their full schedule including us) updating the women's basketball roster with our new players.

I don't need a human interest feature story on the website or in video every other day, but when there are three men's basketball players who have been signed for months and there hasn't been a corresponding piece on the website saying so, we're not meeting bare minimums.


EDIT: I just saw a new men's basketball game was added that we didn't previously know....


Kinda responding to GoCats tooÖ Alsooooooooo as a lowly video nerd I donít deal with the website. Like Iíve said before they did lose an SID position in favor of a Director of Content position (that I was super opposed to), so with Ashcraft leaving over the summer theyíre down to one single SID.

So I tried to take us back to what we had when Evan was here. Evan initially only had to deal with football. If I couldíve done that Iíd have been set. It wasnít until I believe his last year here that they added MBB to the mix and even with the load of just those two sports Iíd have been great. It wasnít until Evan left that more sports started getting added into the mix. I think Evan also had a staff of 3 or so people plus students to help him on one or two sports vs later in the department where the coverage multiplied times 8 and the staff shrunk to one and now none.

Things will never get better (unless you find someone that loves this more than life itself) without getting them more help. Youíll go back to getting good press conferences (maybe), youíll have your FB and MBB previews because theyíre sold and have to be done (quality might not be great), and itíll probably go back to Russ recaps if I had to guess because most of the people that applied to a previous opening came from a news background. When someone is eventually hired, youíll go back to getting your core guaranteed things that have to happen, but with no help, after year one that person is going to be burnt out.

Iím at Purdue (non-Athletics) now, and they have probably 4-5 people that cover their 16 sports. That doesnít include their supervisor plus a full time motion graphics person, graphic designer (if you knew Ohioís situation there your blood would boil) and assistant to him plus a full time photographer (and thatís just all I openly know about). They donít do their video board shows (thatís outsourced). They donít do BTN network stuff (thatís outsourced). For the demands placed on me and our teams wanting to compete against schools with staffs built like that, youíve gotta have more help. Itís not just the fans we have to please, but also 16 full coaching staffs who all think their sport is the most important and every video request has to be done (canít say no).

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On the road between Athens and Madison County
Post Count: 7,899

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 10:34:34 AM 
In this whole video and staffing conversation it dawned on me to ask this question: I thought the point of being FBS for football was to have more resources for stuff like this?

Don't hate me for saying it, but it seems like that really should be part of the conversation when it comes to stuff like this.
Back to Top
  
ExVideoCat
General User

Member Since: 9/4/2021
Post Count: 101

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 1:36:24 PM 
OU_Country wrote:
In this whole video and staffing conversation it dawned on me to ask this question: I thought the point of being FBS for football was to have more resources for stuff like this?

Don't hate me for saying it, but it seems like that really should be part of the conversation when it comes to stuff like this.


I mean you're technically not wrong, but we do/did have more of a staff than a lot of FCS (and even some within the conference).

So Youngstown has 1, Dayton (surprisingly) has 2, and Duquesne may very well have no one right now to my research.

If you look around the conference, Miami mayyyyyy have 2... Maybe 3 (last I knew Steve Baker was in charge of video too in addition to his broadcasting stuff). Akron has one (looks like they're hiring a second though). Toledo has 2, maybe a 3rd.

It all comes down to how you spread your bodies. When I was at Ohio, Miami didn't do their E3 productions... We did though. Akron covered everyone, but it was a guy talking into a mic (Chad is a great guy, but it was quick easy content) where as we did more heavily edited content. A lot of places use templates or freelance out their motion graphics, we didn't. If you look at teams like Ball State FH, they don't have a single video made for them (they technically have SportsLink, but that isn't the athletic department). BGSU Soccer? Not a thing. I bet you though that those same accounts FB/MBB (maybe even WBB) will be loaded.

It's not a shot intended at any team being lesser than another, but more so when you only have one person how thin do you want to spread them? I pitched a FB/MBB focus since they hold a solid solid portion of our following, and then get the other sports when it's a big game or a slow week... Something along those lines to lessen the load a bit. Wasn't good enough. Every game had to have highlights (even though a lot of places don't do highlights anymore since you watch it live a lot of times), if someone wanted a practice or lifting video I had to get that... You get the idea. It also wasn't okay to say no to an idea. If VB came to us during the middle of FB/MBB crossover wanting something I'd just be working more to get it done.

The way they're setting themselves up now is arguably worse than before. You lost a person that COULD shoot and edit if needed in favor of someone who can't, and you're also placing the burden of E3 onto your shooter and editor which I NEVER had to touch unless a student asked for help or something like that.

On the way out, all I heard was about all these students that were going to flock in when I left. I'm glad to see the the sports I left someone with are doing well (even though they could be doing more), but I don't see any students covering anything other than FB currently and only 1 is really doing the work.
Back to Top
  
MonroeClassmate
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2010
Post Count: 1,368

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 1:43:26 PM 
Will the game day experience be improved?

Will Albin bring his return man to the sideline instead of risking the Homecoming muffed punt?

Will there be anything en chanting as part of the experience Saturday?

Last Edited: 10/6/2021 1:44:11 PM by MonroeClassmate

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 4,210

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 1:58:52 PM 
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Will the game day experience be improved?

Will Albin bring his return man to the sideline instead of risking the Homecoming muffed punt?

Will there be anything en chanting as part of the experience Saturday?


Find out on the next exciting episode - of DragonBall Z!
Back to Top
  
AlumDadDad
General User



Member Since: 10/18/2015
Post Count: 337

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 2:15:14 PM 
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Will the game day experience be improved?


I sure hope so...
MonroeClassmate wrote:

Will Albin bring his return man to the sideline instead of risking the Homecoming muffed punt?

Just had to open up the old CMU Homecoming/Travis Carrie wound?
MonroeClassmate wrote:

Will there be anything en chanting as part of the experience Saturday?

Besides the Alumni Band...probably not


Last Edited: 10/6/2021 3:33:50 PM by AlumDadDad

Back to Top
  
OhioAlumX2
General User

Member Since: 10/9/2018
Post Count: 18

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 4:34:07 PM 
ExVideoCat Appreciate the insight and passion...the point is that it should be better but resources are not put into it for lots of reasons. The WOUB kids were not always rudderless and the department did more or seemed to from the outside when the commitment was there (read $). It just isn't a good product. Lots of reasons why it can't be better (some of which I learned from your posts) but it was better.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 7,425

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 4:54:36 PM 
ExVideoCat wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
In this whole video and staffing conversation it dawned on me to ask this question: I thought the point of being FBS for football was to have more resources for stuff like this?

Don't hate me for saying it, but it seems like that really should be part of the conversation when it comes to stuff like this.


I mean you're technically not wrong, but we do/did have more of a staff than a lot of FCS (and even some within the conference).

So Youngstown has 1, Dayton (surprisingly) has 2, and Duquesne may very well have no one right now to my research.

If you look around the conference, Miami mayyyyyy have 2... Maybe 3 (last I knew Steve Baker was in charge of video too in addition to his broadcasting stuff). Akron has one (looks like they're hiring a second though). Toledo has 2, maybe a 3rd.

It all comes down to how you spread your bodies. When I was at Ohio, Miami didn't do their E3 productions... We did though. Akron covered everyone, but it was a guy talking into a mic (Chad is a great guy, but it was quick easy content) where as we did more heavily edited content. A lot of places use templates or freelance out their motion graphics, we didn't. If you look at teams like Ball State FH, they don't have a single video made for them (they technically have SportsLink, but that isn't the athletic department). BGSU Soccer? Not a thing. I bet you though that those same accounts FB/MBB (maybe even WBB) will be loaded.

It's not a shot intended at any team being lesser than another, but more so when you only have one person how thin do you want to spread them? I pitched a FB/MBB focus since they hold a solid solid portion of our following, and then get the other sports when it's a big game or a slow week... Something along those lines to lessen the load a bit. Wasn't good enough. Every game had to have highlights (even though a lot of places don't do highlights anymore since you watch it live a lot of times), if someone wanted a practice or lifting video I had to get that... You get the idea. It also wasn't okay to say no to an idea. If VB came to us during the middle of FB/MBB crossover wanting something I'd just be working more to get it done.

The way they're setting themselves up now is arguably worse than before. You lost a person that COULD shoot and edit if needed in favor of someone who can't, and you're also placing the burden of E3 onto your shooter and editor which I NEVER had to touch unless a student asked for help or something like that.

On the way out, all I heard was about all these students that were going to flock in when I left. I'm glad to see the the sports I left someone with are doing well (even though they could be doing more), but I don't see any students covering anything other than FB currently and only 1 is really doing the work.


Really? Dayton is flush with cash and has a non-scholarship football team and a basketball team that produces more money then we ever have. One of the benefits of not having FBS football.
Back to Top
  
71 BOBCAT
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 1,562

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 5:08:48 PM 
I was just looking over the CMU game notes and discovered that they only have 3 seniors in the starting lineup. I find this very interesting considering that all seniors last year could have returned under the NCAA Covid Policy.
I would expect that there seems to be some lack of game experience.
This could most definitely have an impact in this game.




GO BOBCATS


Back to Top
  
ExVideoCat
General User

Member Since: 9/4/2021
Post Count: 101

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 9:41:29 PM 
OhioAlumX2 wrote:
ExVideoCat Appreciate the insight and passion...the point is that it should be better but resources are not put into it for lots of reasons. The WOUB kids were not always rudderless and the department did more or seemed to from the outside when the commitment was there (read $). It just isn't a good product. Lots of reasons why it can't be better (some of which I learned from your posts) but it was better.


The relationship was so beautiful when Evan was here. Theyíre the ones that actually made the content for teams not named football. Those students worked with Evan too, so he was able to work with them on a more personal level than I when I just passed them a tip in passing.

I made a big pitch to rebuild that relationship and go back to sharing their content, working with the students that had interest to get better(wouldíve added some responsibility to me, but wouldíve helped me not have to be everywhere), but the powers that be on our side decided that they didnít want to do that so that time, effort, and meetings on my part was a waste of time. Wouldíve helped get more people in too because the university doesnít promote us as a place students can learn like they do for WOUB. Wouldíve given us an in with high schoolers to be able to have help for a full four years.

I come across as a scorned lover haha, but itís just kind of fun to me to see things play out exactly how I told them it would if changes werenít made. Itís a mass exodus leaving the profession, and the changes that need to be made would stop that, but I think the powers that be just donít want to be the bad person and explain to people why things arenít a certain way anymore.

Losing an SID for a content position was just kind of a bonehead thing anyways. The person doesnít create any of the content, they literally just hit post. SIDs did that before and there wasnít a problem (other than a disagreement on what videos to make), but if we want to talk about FBS and staffingÖ Even at the FCS level thereís at least 3 full time SIDs. The fact that we now have one trying to manage everything is absurd.

Last Edited: 10/6/2021 9:42:25 PM by ExVideoCat

Back to Top
  
BobcatLackey2017
General User

Member Since: 9/17/2021
Post Count: 13

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/6/2021 10:34:09 PM 
ExVideoCat wrote:
OhioAlumX2 wrote:
ExVideoCat Appreciate the insight and passion...the point is that it should be better but resources are not put into it for lots of reasons. The WOUB kids were not always rudderless and the department did more or seemed to from the outside when the commitment was there (read $). It just isn't a good product. Lots of reasons why it can't be better (some of which I learned from your posts) but it was better.


The relationship was so beautiful when Evan was here. Theyíre the ones that actually made the content for teams not named football. Those students worked with Evan too, so he was able to work with them on a more personal level than I when I just passed them a tip in passing.

I made a big pitch to rebuild that relationship and go back to sharing their content, working with the students that had interest to get better(wouldíve added some responsibility to me, but wouldíve helped me not have to be everywhere), but the powers that be on our side decided that they didnít want to do that so that time, effort, and meetings on my part was a waste of time. Wouldíve helped get more people in too because the university doesnít promote us as a place students can learn like they do for WOUB. Wouldíve given us an in with high schoolers to be able to have help for a full four years.

I come across as a scorned lover haha, but itís just kind of fun to me to see things play out exactly how I told them it would if changes werenít made. Itís a mass exodus leaving the profession, and the changes that need to be made would stop that, but I think the powers that be just donít want to be the bad person and explain to people why things arenít a certain way anymore.

Losing an SID for a content position was just kind of a bonehead thing anyways. The person doesnít create any of the content, they literally just hit post. SIDs did that before and there wasnít a problem (other than a disagreement on what videos to make), but if we want to talk about FBS and staffingÖ Even at the FCS level thereís at least 3 full time SIDs. The fact that we now have one trying to manage everything is absurd.



Iím all for bringing back Tom Symonds. I never paid attention to his body of work so he could be great or terrible at his job for all I know but that guy was incredibly funny so Iím sold on the idea. And just out of curiosity when were you there? I donít think Evan Shaw has been with the University for nearly a decade if not longer.

Last Edited: 10/6/2021 10:36:31 PM by BobcatLackey2017

Back to Top
  
ExVideoCat
General User

Member Since: 9/4/2021
Post Count: 101

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/7/2021 8:44:33 AM 
BobcatLackey2017 wrote:
ExVideoCat wrote:
OhioAlumX2 wrote:
ExVideoCat Appreciate the insight and passion...the point is that it should be better but resources are not put into it for lots of reasons. The WOUB kids were not always rudderless and the department did more or seemed to from the outside when the commitment was there (read $). It just isn't a good product. Lots of reasons why it can't be better (some of which I learned from your posts) but it was better.


The relationship was so beautiful when Evan was here. Theyíre the ones that actually made the content for teams not named football. Those students worked with Evan too, so he was able to work with them on a more personal level than I when I just passed them a tip in passing.

I made a big pitch to rebuild that relationship and go back to sharing their content, working with the students that had interest to get better(wouldíve added some responsibility to me, but wouldíve helped me not have to be everywhere), but the powers that be on our side decided that they didnít want to do that so that time, effort, and meetings on my part was a waste of time. Wouldíve helped get more people in too because the university doesnít promote us as a place students can learn like they do for WOUB. Wouldíve given us an in with high schoolers to be able to have help for a full four years.

I come across as a scorned lover haha, but itís just kind of fun to me to see things play out exactly how I told them it would if changes werenít made. Itís a mass exodus leaving the profession, and the changes that need to be made would stop that, but I think the powers that be just donít want to be the bad person and explain to people why things arenít a certain way anymore.

Losing an SID for a content position was just kind of a bonehead thing anyways. The person doesnít create any of the content, they literally just hit post. SIDs did that before and there wasnít a problem (other than a disagreement on what videos to make), but if we want to talk about FBS and staffingÖ Even at the FCS level thereís at least 3 full time SIDs. The fact that we now have one trying to manage everything is absurd.



Iím all for bringing back Tom Symonds. I never paid attention to his body of work so he could be great or terrible at his job for all I know but that guy was incredibly funny so Iím sold on the idea. And just out of curiosity when were you there? I donít think Evan Shaw has been with the University for nearly a decade if not longer.


Football Miami 2017 was my first day on the job and the Purdue Fort Wayne baseball series this past April was my last.

I said something in an earlier post about the famous line in athletics of "we've always done it this way," so I was moderately aware of the work Evan did from the time I stepped on campus (even though if it wasn't for the relationship they had with WOUB, if I was in his shoes I'd have never done a half hour show). He's still with the university... Sort of. I met up with him when I was making our content crossover from news to the more creative stuff. He works with WOUB (does the "Our Town" show for WOUB) and teaches a sports cinemaphotography class (they finally after all these years decided to lean into a guy that shot/shoots for the NFL). *Catch 22 of that sports cinemaphotography class is, I already had connections with the students that were talented, so it didn't really provide any sort of help that I needed... Most got their reps for his class doing Gridiron/Hardwood.*

I also saw A LOT of what he did when I was making our online archive system (all sports, and some footage goes back to the 1930s... BUT, since all the video people left, I don't think anyone can give access to anyone knew that comes in so that thing is about to be a lot of work down the drain haha).

There hasn't been a ton of turnover in the video department overall (it's only really existed since probably 2010 or 2011). Yeah, you loose your GAs and interns like clockwork, but I mean it went Evan, Tanner Smith, then Jason Chiappino at the tippy top (I think Ohio got super lucky here because every one of those guys graduated from here and probably took a home team discount) and then all I can think of full time wise under them was myself under Jason and then Derek Mishiro under Tanner (Derek I think may have done some post grad work here as he started as an intern and then was full time for a year), but we only had a staff of 2 people because they threw ESPN into the mix. When we had those old lower boards, myself and Jason made the stuff for it and a marketing intern ran it. It wasn't until we got the new board in the Convo they decided to hire a motion graphics person/board op (she was a recent Ohio grad/ran here, so I'm not sure if she just was getting her foot in the door for a first job and wanted to come back to the home team or what... Never thought to ask). Then you had Don Moore (professor from OU Southern) as the ESPN professor since it's inception until he retired this past year. Now that all of us are gone, they're having to build from complete scratch.

Last Edited: 10/7/2021 8:45:09 AM by ExVideoCat

Back to Top
  
AlumDadDad
General User



Member Since: 10/18/2015
Post Count: 337

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/7/2021 9:20:53 AM 
Lots of interesting discussion here, but back to the game at hand. Pretty massive drift...

This will be a good test for the team. CMU is obviously a better team than Akron, but I don't feel like they're top tier in the MAC. Winnable game, but the improvement has to continue for the team to win this one.

Coach mentioned the OL injuries, sounds like Sink and Daneker (sp?) won't be back. Anyone have insight in Thompson and Wood at LB? Season ending or not?
Back to Top
  
ExVideoCat
General User

Member Since: 9/4/2021
Post Count: 101

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/7/2021 10:01:27 AM 
AlumDadDad wrote:
Lots of interesting discussion here, but back to the game at hand. Pretty massive drift...

This will be a good test for the team. CMU is obviously a better team than Akron, but I don't feel like they're top tier in the MAC. Winnable game, but the improvement has to continue for the team to win this one.

Coach mentioned the OL injuries, sounds like Sink and Daneker (sp?) won't be back. Anyone have insight in Thompson and Wood at LB? Season ending or not?


Kurt is definitely out for the season. Reading between the lines, it seems like Keye is too.

The only thing I'm basing my prediction on is we don't do well against CMU on homecoming.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,091

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/7/2021 11:06:27 AM 
ExVideoCat wrote:
AlumDadDad wrote:
Lots of interesting discussion here, but back to the game at hand. Pretty massive drift...

This will be a good test for the team. CMU is obviously a better team than Akron, but I don't feel like they're top tier in the MAC. Winnable game, but the improvement has to continue for the team to win this one.

Coach mentioned the OL injuries, sounds like Sink and Daneker (sp?) won't be back. Anyone have insight in Thompson and Wood at LB? Season ending or not?


Kurt is definitely out for the season. Reading between the lines, it seems like Keye is too.

The only thing I'm basing my prediction on is we don't do well against CMU on homecoming.


Or non-homecoming.

It was encouraging to see some variety in the offense last week. But with CMU's run defense (28th in 1A) they'll have to add a few other things. CMU doesn't have a great pass defense so maybe Rourke/Rogers can downfield on them.

We need an almost perfect game. No giveaways, few penalties, no missed kicks.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 6,707

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/7/2021 11:08:10 AM 

Injury report: Richardson's status for Saturday uncertain


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
KJOhio
General User



Member Since: 1/24/2006
Location: Barnesville, OH
Post Count: 46

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/7/2021 12:22:47 PM 
CMU now at -5
Back to Top
  
AlumDadDad
General User



Member Since: 10/18/2015
Post Count: 337

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/7/2021 1:05:21 PM 
Jackie O's back in Peden this week!
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 11,465

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/7/2021 8:56:06 PM 
Ted Thompson wrote:
https://www.cm-life.com/article/2021/10/central-michigan-...


Weren't we getting the same stories out of Rubber City last week about Irons? I'd guess that Richardson will play.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,091

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 6 Thread: Central Michigan
   Posted: 10/7/2021 10:38:12 PM 
Looks like sports coverage at the Mt. Pleasant Morning Sun took the same kind of hit from the pandemic that Arkley did at the Mess. Their only college football stories all week have been from the AP and their story on the CMU-MOFO game was written by an asst AD for communications at CMU. They used to have two or three insight stories about CMU athletics each week. Their sports editor covers local high school and Alma College sports.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 50  of 127 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             




Copyright ©2021 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties