Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  MAC Season Cancelled

Topic:  MAC Season Cancelled
Author
Message
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 1,303

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 10:15:11 AM 
Brett McMurphy
@Brett_McMurphy

Aug 8
Huge news: Mid-American cancels fall football season because of COVID player health & safety concerns, sources told
@Stadium
. MAC took a huge financial hit when Power 5ís cut nonconference games & intends to try & play in spring, sources said #RIPMACtion

Last Edited: 8/8/2020 10:15:33 AM by LuckySparrow


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
bigtillyoopsupsideurhead
General User



Member Since: 12/1/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 1,913

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 10:45:05 AM 
Real reason they cancelled, without power 5 buy games they would lose big money.
Back to Top
  
ohio9704
General User

Member Since: 2/11/2006
Post Count: 1,301

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 10:57:04 AM 
Not a comment about the decision, I am a teacher/coach, so I get the tough decision (how can you force remote learning, but then say we can hit each other at 3 PM). This should mean this league takes a long look at FCS going forward or league membership changes. Might mean all Group of Five are told to step up or move to FCS. Might mean an unholy alliance with some Conference USA or American Conference schools that want to continue the financial commitment.
Back to Top
  
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 1,303

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 11:00:27 AM 
bigtillyoopsupsideurhead wrote:
Real reason they cancelled, without power 5 buy games they would lose big money.


That's it right there. And a Spring Season ain't happening, folks.


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,460

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 11:03:59 AM 
All fall sports are cancelled
Back to Top
  
Chad E Guess D.C.
General User

Member Since: 12/3/2005
Post Count: 28

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 11:17:52 AM 
Money or not from power 5 games, this is the best thing for them to do.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,451

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 11:28:44 AM 
Gonna be some massive athletic dept cutbacks now.
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,072

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 11:58:10 AM 
Look for AAC to be next. How many and how quickly will others follow?
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,120

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 12:02:52 PM 
ohio9704 wrote:
Not a comment about the decision, I am a teacher/coach, so I get the tough decision (how can you force remote learning, but then say we can hit each other at 3 PM). This should mean this league takes a long look at FCS going forward or league membership changes. Might mean all Group of Five are told to step up or move to FCS. Might mean an unholy alliance with some Conference USA or American Conference schools that want to continue the financial commitment.


Lots of public schools doing exactly that - remote till 3 then athletics at 3:15.
Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,538

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 12:54:14 PM 
https://watchstadium.com/sources-mac-cancels-fall-college...

NIU's president, who has a medical background, insisted NIU would not play. Everyone eventually came around to her side. I think other conferences will start to do the same.
Back to Top
  
ytownbobcat
General User

Member Since: 8/7/2006
Post Count: 1,107

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 2:02:35 PM 
Very disappointed but it is the correct decision. I am proud that our conference put student / athlete well being ahead of financial ramifications.
What happens in the spring? Stay tuned.
Back to Top
  
OhioBobcat
General User

Member Since: 1/20/2006
Post Count: 1,138

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 3:35:07 PM 
I donít like the decision but I also fully understand and support the decision at the same time.
Back to Top
  
oldkatz
General User

Member Since: 12/22/2004
Post Count: 1,198

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 4:04:06 PM 
According to ESPN, the MAC has canceled ALL Fall sports and is working on a plan to move them to a Spring season. Could be quite a sports facility log jam.


"All my inside sources tell me I have no inside sources." Salvatore "money bucks" Mafiosiano.

Back to Top
  
ZIPsCAT
General User

Member Since: 9/3/2014
Post Count: 34

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 5:02:18 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
ohio9704 wrote:
Not a comment about the decision, I am a teacher/coach, so I get the tough decision (how can you force remote learning, but then say we can hit each other at 3 PM). This should mean this league takes a long look at FCS going forward or league membership changes. Might mean all Group of Five are told to step up or move to FCS. Might mean an unholy alliance with some Conference USA or American Conference schools that want to continue the financial commitment.


Lots of public schools doing exactly that - remote till 3 then athletics at 3:15.


For now. It's an easy call to make to let kids practice over the summer while you still have a month (most schools have pushed back to Labor Day). It's just kicking the can down the road for the inevitable cancellation decision.

Last Edited: 8/8/2020 5:04:40 PM by ZIPsCAT

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,062

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 5:07:07 PM 
B10 commish wants spring football season: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2020/0... /


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,526

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 7:36:31 PM 
Been saying we should go FCS on this board for years. Now is the time
Back to Top
  
Mark Lembright '85
General User

Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Lyndhurst, OH
Post Count: 2,374

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 8:40:25 PM 
LCís done the analysis several times and can speak to this far better than I can, but a move down to FCS would be an even bigger financial mistake and a financial burden than being in FBS. Ohio goes down to FCS and no more TV money. If Ohio is to go to a lower football division to save money, it needs to go lower than FCS.
Back to Top
  
Maddog13
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Post Count: 413

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 8:56:07 PM 
I literally fell out of my chair in response to the news. I didn't think the MAC had it in them, but good for them. It is the right call.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,120

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 10:26:39 PM 
Mark Lembright '85 wrote:
LCís done the analysis several times and can speak to this far better than I can, but a move down to FCS would be an even bigger financial mistake and a financial burden than being in FBS. Ohio goes down to FCS and no more TV money. If Ohio is to go to a lower football division to save money, it needs to go lower than FCS.


Assuming the MAC office takes nothing which is probably an eroneous assumption, we only get $800,000 a year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/03/20/ap... /

Last Edited: 8/8/2020 10:31:21 PM by Alan Swank

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,062

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 11:01:47 PM 
The MAC deal with ESPN goes to 2027 and the CBSSN deal goes through 2023. Both would be worth a lot less if the MAC drops to 1AA. A big part of the ESPN deal is the midweek November package. ESPN does only one 1AA football regular season game a week, Thursday or Friday nights with the Ivy. I don't think CBSSN does any. Both would want to renegotiate downward.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 1,303

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/8/2020 11:31:57 PM 
What is the evidence that this is the "right decision?" The data has shown that the virus is not that dangerous to college kids. I guess the MAC couldn't swing the financials so they played the virus fear card. Smart PR play, I suppose, since shutting down/cancelling is seen as the virtuous thing to do these days - especially because they beat other FBS conferences to the punch. But what's the long term cost of shutting down? Also, can someone please explain why kids are safer at home without supervision than on a college campus under supervision with medical treatment at the ready?

Why not play a conference schedule on ESPN family of networks? Limited or no crowd. Players can opt out without losing a year.

The conference is all but dead in my eyes.

Last Edited: 8/8/2020 11:34:07 PM by LuckySparrow


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,062

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/9/2020 12:45:14 AM 
LuckySparrow wrote:
What is the evidence that this is the "right decision?" The data has shown that the virus is not that dangerous to college kids. I guess the MAC couldn't swing the financials so they played the virus fear card. Smart PR play, I suppose, since shutting down/cancelling is seen as the virtuous thing to do these days - especially because they beat other FBS conferences to the punch. But what's the long term cost of shutting down? Also, can someone please explain why kids are safer at home without supervision than on a college campus under supervision with medical treatment at the ready?

Why not play a conference schedule on ESPN family of networks? Limited or no crowd. Players can opt out without losing a year.

The conference is all but dead in my eyes.


For one: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/08/athletes... /


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 1,303

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/9/2020 1:24:16 AM 
Pataskala wrote:
LuckySparrow wrote:
What is the evidence that this is the "right decision?" The data has shown that the virus is not that dangerous to college kids. I guess the MAC couldn't swing the financials so they played the virus fear card. Smart PR play, I suppose, since shutting down/cancelling is seen as the virtuous thing to do these days - especially because they beat other FBS conferences to the punch. But what's the long term cost of shutting down? Also, can someone please explain why kids are safer at home without supervision than on a college campus under supervision with medical treatment at the ready?

Why not play a conference schedule on ESPN family of networks? Limited or no crowd. Players can opt out without losing a year.

The conference is all but dead in my eyes.


For one: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/08/athletes... /


That is an article littered with narrative, "may not," "concerned about," "raises the possibility," "many questions remain unanswered," and "nfectious-disease and cardiovascular experts do not have enough data to make conclusions about how covid-19 might affect an athleteís heart."

Since that was the first piece of evidence you lead with - am I to presume that is your strongest piece of evidence?


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,673

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/9/2020 9:04:15 AM 
LuckySparrow wrote:
What is the evidence that this is the "right decision?" The data has shown that the virus is not that dangerous to college kids. I guess the MAC couldn't swing the financials so they played the virus fear card. Smart PR play, I suppose, since shutting down/cancelling is seen as the virtuous thing to do these days - especially because they beat other FBS conferences to the punch. But what's the long term cost of shutting down? Also, can someone please explain why kids are safer at home without supervision than on a college campus under supervision with medical treatment at the ready?

Why not play a conference schedule on ESPN family of networks? Limited or no crowd. Players can opt out without losing a year.

The conference is all but dead in my eyes.


What, exactly, is the argument in favor of putting students at risk just to lose a bunch of money? Ohio University has limited resources and just entered a very serious budgetary crisis with no clear end in site. What's the justification for pumping a bunch of money into the precautionary measures necessary to play? Why put those resources towards football?

Why do all of that to roll the dice on the virus being "not that dangerous for college kids"? Is the best case scenario even good?
Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On US33 between Athens and Madison Co., OH
Post Count: 7,533

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: MAC Season Cancelled
   Posted: 8/9/2020 9:07:16 AM 
LuckySparrow wrote:

The conference is all but dead in my eyes.


For clarification, is the conference dead to you personally because of this, OR do you think the conference will die because of this decision?

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 105 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties