Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  Armani Rogers

Topic:  Armani Rogers
Author
Message
OUcats82
General User



Member Since: 1/9/2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,615

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/14/2020 7:23:39 AM 
Armani Rogers, a rumored QB transfer from UNLV, Tweeted this last night:

"After entering the transfer portal, it was very important to myself and family to identify and determine many factors on making a decision on where I will finish my college career. After long thought and prayer, I have made a final decision.

With the 2020 football season approaching, I would like to thank Coach Solich and Coach Albin for the opportunity and also announce that I will be transferring to Ohio University.

Go Bobcats
Armani Rogers"

If this is indeed a done deal, welcome to Ohio and Athens, Armani! Looking forward to seeing you in green and white!


Ohio-The State University

Back to Top
  
OUs LONG Driver
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Copley, OH
Post Count: 584

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/14/2020 8:07:18 AM 
Called it in the Transfer Portal Thread. We definitely needed some additional depth at QB and having an experienced guy in the room has to help.
Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 6,420

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/14/2020 9:19:48 AM 

 


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
OUcats82
General User



Member Since: 1/9/2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,615

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/14/2020 9:31:23 AM 
That's the one-thank you for posting, Ted!


Ohio-The State University

Back to Top
  
OhioBobcat
General User

Member Since: 1/20/2006
Post Count: 1,138

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/14/2020 9:47:07 AM 
I knew a transfer QB was coming, it was only a matter of time when. This one took a little longer than expected, but based on everything going on, it makes sense.
Back to Top
  
BryanHall
General User

Member Since: 9/11/2010
Post Count: 197

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/14/2020 11:42:54 AM 
My guess is that the team will make every attempt to redshirt Harris this year. This would allow Rourke 2.0 to compete with Rogers. If neither is that impressive, Harris comes in with a year in the system with a chance to win the job as a true Freshman. This could change due to injuries or if Harris is so much better early in the camp.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,514

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/14/2020 11:49:47 AM 
BryanHall wrote:
My guess is that the team will make every attempt to redshirt Harris this year. This would allow Rourke 2.0 to compete with Rogers. If neither is that impressive, Harris comes in with a year in the system with a chance to win the job as a true Freshman. This could change due to injuries or if Harris is so much better early in the camp.


I think you can almost guarantee a redshirt from somebody. Harris is going to be coming in as a grad transfer and probably wouldn't be coming here without ideas of playing time in his head.

Definitely brings a dual threat aspect along with him, but struggled with accuracy and injuries. Still, he has talent. Was Mountain West Freshman of the Year in 2017.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/armani-roger...

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-football/u... /

If he doesn't win the starting job, I imagine he could help in other ways offensively like Phil Bates did.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,062

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/14/2020 12:56:15 PM 
Quite a culture change -- from glitz, glamour and desert to quiet, rural and trees.

Injuries limited him to only ten games the past two seasons. Poor performance also seemed to be part of why he stayed on the bench after he healed up last season (393 passing yds; 2 TDs & 3 INTs in four games). Hope he has a bounce-back year.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,538

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/14/2020 3:45:42 PM 
The Bobcats also announced the transfer of Villanova defensive end Michael Taylor. He's had 1.5 sacks and 12 tackles in 2 years. He was rated an 80 by 247Sports coming out of high school and had offers from Army, Bucknell, Holy Cross and Maine.
Back to Top
  
OhioBobcat
General User

Member Since: 1/20/2006
Post Count: 1,138

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/14/2020 6:46:15 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
Quite a culture change -- from glitz, glamour and desert to quiet, rural and trees.

Injuries limited him to only ten games the past two seasons. Poor performance also seemed to be part of why he stayed on the bench after he healed up last season (393 passing yds; 2 TDs & 3 INTs in four games). Hope he has a bounce-back year.


I made a similar comment in the recruiting thread about this. Talk about a potential culture shock - going from Las Vegas, Nevada to Athens, Ohio. Not to mention the fact that heís also from Los Angeles. It kind of makes me wonder if he knows anything about Athens. Iím doubting heís ever been there and with Covid, many transfers are unable to even visit their new schools. Donít get me wrong, I love Athens for all that it is (or isnít for that matter)- thatís exactly what I like about it. But itís certainly not for everyone. Iíve been to UNLV, itís a stoneís throw away from The Strip and planes landing into Vegas essential fly right over campus. Heís going from that to bricks clacking under car tires and crickets at night. Whether he likes it or not, heís certainly in store for a major change of scenery, thatís for sure.
Back to Top
  
BryanHall
General User

Member Since: 9/11/2010
Post Count: 197

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/14/2020 7:12:44 PM 
I didn't realize his dad played 10 years in the NFL (from UNLV site).

PERSONAL: Armani Lee Rogers was born in Buffalo, NY ... The son of Leslie and Sam Rogers ... Has three older brothers: Sam Jr., Tremaine and Aaron, one older sister, Ariel, and one younger brother Zane ... Father was a linebacker and played for the Colorado Buffaloes and then went on to the NFL and played for the Buffalo Bills (seven seasons), San Diego Chargers (one) and Atlanta Falcons (two) Ö Samís 10-year pro career included 30 sacks and nine fumble recoveries ... Armaniís brother Aaron played defensive back at Humboldt State Ö Majored in urban studies.

Does Ohio have an Urban Studies major?

I do know It's irrelevant since it seems like he is a grad transfer.
Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: Akron (sleeper agent)
Post Count: 4,849

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/14/2020 9:28:21 PM 
BryanHall wrote:
I didn't realize his dad played 10 years in the NFL (from UNLV site).

PERSONAL: Armani Lee Rogers was born in Buffalo, NY ... The son of Leslie and Sam Rogers ... Has three older brothers: Sam Jr., Tremaine and Aaron, one older sister, Ariel, and one younger brother Zane ... Father was a linebacker and played for the Colorado Buffaloes and then went on to the NFL and played for the Buffalo Bills (seven seasons), San Diego Chargers (one) and Atlanta Falcons (two) Ö Samís 10-year pro career included 30 sacks and nine fumble recoveries ... Armaniís brother Aaron played defensive back at Humboldt State Ö Majored in urban studies.

Does Ohio have an Urban Studies major?

I do know It's irrelevant since it seems like he is a grad transfer.


I majored in finance and took a bunch of geography classes aiming for a minor in that because they had an urban planning major and I was interested in real estate development. Iím guessing that is similar to urban studies but in the geography department rather than sociology?


I've seen crazier things happen.

Black 41 Flash Reverse

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,772

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/15/2020 6:54:29 AM 
The Optimist wrote:

I majored in finance and took a bunch of geography classes aiming for a minor in that because they had an urban planning major and I was interested in real estate development. Iím guessing that is similar to urban studies but in the geography department rather than sociology?


As far as I know,Urban Studies goes includes a number of areas including things like sociology,history,economics.

Urban Planning,at least based on the classes I took,tends to be somewhat more
"technical".

New Jersey licenses Professional Planners.
Some of PP's I work with got their degree in Urban Planning and Design at Rutgers.
A lot took a different path of getting their B.S. in Engineering or Landscape Architecture then a Masters in Planning.

Never met any planner who started with an Urban Studies degree.
I have met a couple who work in public administration.


Back to Top
  
71 BOBCAT
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 1,419

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/15/2020 7:05:05 AM 
For me I was surprised with this news as I was under the impression that we were all set with the 3 QB's.
Does this news indicate that the coaches were concerned that the QB's on the roster were not strong enough candidates to run the offense?





GO BOBCATS
Back to Top
  
CatsUp
General User

Member Since: 4/15/2019
Post Count: 204

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/15/2020 9:16:36 AM 
71 BOBCAT wrote:
For me I was surprised with this news as I was under the impression that we were all set with the 3 QB's.
Does this news indicate that the coaches were concerned that the QB's on the roster were not strong enough candidates to run the offense?





GO BOBCATS


My initial thoughts are that this has as much to do with the lack of experience of the others as anything. If the coaches are confident that one or more of them are the future, I DO hope the plan will be to get them more game experience this year than we normally do in such situations.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,460

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/15/2020 11:01:33 AM 
CatsUp wrote:
71 BOBCAT wrote:
For me I was surprised with this news as I was under the impression that we were all set with the 3 QB's.
Does this news indicate that the coaches were concerned that the QB's on the roster were not strong enough candidates to run the offense?





GO BOBCATS


My initial thoughts are that this has as much to do with the lack of experience of the others as anything. If the coaches are confident that one or more of them are the future, I DO hope the plan will be to get them more game experience this year than we normally do in such situations.



If coaches were confident, why actively recruit a one year player?
Back to Top
  
Doc Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,660

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/15/2020 7:02:35 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
CatsUp wrote:
71 BOBCAT wrote:
For me I was surprised with this news as I was under the impression that we were all set with the 3 QB's.
Does this news indicate that the coaches were concerned that the QB's on the roster were not strong enough candidates to run the offense?





GO BOBCATS


My initial thoughts are that this has as much to do with the lack of experience of the others as anything. If the coaches are confident that one or more of them are the future, I DO hope the plan will be to get them more game experience this year than we normally do in such situations.



If coaches were confident, why actively recruit a one year player?


If you watch highlight reels of this guy you may get your answer as to why we brought him aboard.
Back to Top
  
Bobcatzblitz
General User

Member Since: 7/21/2010
Post Count: 1,616

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/15/2020 8:09:09 PM 
This is huge. The kid is EXCITING.
Back to Top
  
MakeEmDance
General User

Member Since: 7/15/2020
Post Count: 5

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/16/2020 2:40:42 PM 
It says on ESPN that he is from LA

Was thinking LA to NV. How is he going to fair in OH winters!?

Interesting QB medley.
Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 4,529

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/16/2020 3:51:14 PM 
Boo Jackson was from LA, he will be fine. He needs s to learn the playbook, fine tune his accuracy and be a leader.


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
Doc Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,660

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/16/2020 4:18:23 PM 
MakeEmDance wrote:
It says on ESPN that he is from LA

Was thinking LA to NV. How is he going to fair in OH winters!?

Interesting QB medley.


His dad played in the NFL with Buffalo so Iím sure heíll be quite aware what to expect.....itís looking more each day that he will be playing in the spring anyway.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,460

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/16/2020 10:50:28 PM 
allen wrote:
Boo Jackson was from LA, he will be fine. He needs s to learn the playbook, fine tune his accuracy and be a leader.


And do all that with no ability to participate at all with receivers until maybe the first practice.
Back to Top
  
smc22
General User

Member Since: 12/17/2013
Post Count: 59

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/17/2020 6:22:57 PM 
great pickup...... he was amazing for UNLV for awhile. and then i don't know what happened. i understand he may have hadaccuracy issues as QB. but i think it's a matter of using him properly

UNLV seems like a layup for a good mid-major football team. maybe even an upgrade to pac 12 if it ever expands..... but they seemingly can never make it work.. is being that close to the las vegas strip seen as a negative by moms?....... it seems bizarre how bad they've been for so long. should be #1 non-BCS conference school for LA recruits IMO

i wouldn't worry about athens, ohio and culture shock etc.... minnesota golden gophers work in tons of HS recruits from florida... you are there to play football and go to class, not lounge by the pool.

Back to Top
  
Rufusbobcat94
General User

Member Since: 6/13/2018
Post Count: 205

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/17/2020 9:08:05 PM 
I'm glad they got him. He's a big dude and is fast and athletic. Ohio's surrounding cast is better than he has had at UNLV on the whole and the MAC competition may be easier on the whole than the MWC. Ohio has a ton of weapons returning, Rogers would benefit from that.

Unless someone just kills it, I see at least two qbs getting significant reps in 2020 if the season is played. He might be able to deliver at least some production in a partial role.

Accuracy is a really thorny issue. I dont recall QBs in general improving much over the course of a career. Rourke was an exception, spending three years in the same system and improved 6 percent from first to third year.

Tettleton and Boo did not really improve in accuracy over two to three years as a starter.

Rogers will be at least a little better at Ohio but with a career accuracy south of 50%, I'm concerned
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,062

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Armani Rogers
   Posted: 7/17/2020 9:39:13 PM 
Rufusbobcat94 wrote:
I'm glad they got him. He's a big dude and is fast and athletic. Ohio's surrounding cast is better than he has had at UNLV on the whole and the MAC competition may be easier on the whole than the MWC. Ohio has a ton of weapons returning, Rogers would benefit from that.

Unless someone just kills it, I see at least two qbs getting significant reps in 2020 if the season is played. He might be able to deliver at least some production in a partial role.

Accuracy is a really thorny issue. I dont recall QBs in general improving much over the course of a career. Rourke was an exception, spending three years in the same system and improved 6 percent from first to third year.

Tettleton and Boo did not really improve in accuracy over two to three years as a starter.

Rogers will be at least a little better at Ohio but with a career accuracy south of 50%, I'm concerned


I saw article that he was injured and missed the last six games of his soph season then had a knee injury in the fourth game of last season. He healed up but his performance in those four games apparently kept him on the bench.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 33 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties