Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  Another problem of Covid?

Topic:  Another problem of Covid?
Author
Message
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,250

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/25/2020 11:20:53 PM 
A study just came out on the use of HCQ, when given early.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S147789...

Since this is the football board, I won't go into the results of the main part of the study, but if any are interested, they can follow the link and read the study. Buried in the study is this interesting finding:

French Study of HCQ wrote:
...We performed 2,065 low-dose computed tomography (CT) scans highlighting lung lesions in 592 of the 991 (59.7%) patients with minimal clinical symptoms (NEWS score = 0). ...


So, 991 patients had minimal clinical symptoms. Of those who didn't report any apparent symptoms, 60% actually had lung lesions, which were detected on a CT scan. The presence of lung lesions, even though they might be insignificant for an average person, might affect the athletic performance of a top athlete. Will we see players who have to give up their sport because they no longer have the lung capacity they once had?


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,546

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/26/2020 8:22:09 AM 
L.C. wrote:
A study just came out on the use of HCQ, when given early.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S147789...

Since this is the football board, I won't go into the results of the main part of the study, but if any are interested, they can follow the link and read the study. Buried in the study is this interesting finding:

French Study of HCQ wrote:
...We performed 2,065 low-dose computed tomography (CT) scans highlighting lung lesions in 592 of the 991 (59.7%) patients with minimal clinical symptoms (NEWS score = 0). ...


So, 991 patients had minimal clinical symptoms. Of those who didn't report any apparent symptoms, 60% actually had lung lesions, which were detected on a CT scan. The presence of lung lesions, even though they might be insignificant for an average person, might affect the athletic performance of a top athlete. Will we see players who have to give up their sport because they no longer have the lung capacity they once had?


Yeah, I think this is an interesting, and under thought through piece of all of this. We really don't know the long-term effects of this disease. I suspect that a lot of athletes would reconsider going into 'the bubble' or coming back early if they thought there was a chance it would impact their career longevity.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,250

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/26/2020 10:50:25 AM 
Similarly a study out of China showed that 20% of recovered patients had heart damage. I don't know the details on that one, though. Was that 20% of serious cases? 20% of all cases? How severe was the heart damage? Also, there are reports that complete kidney failure is common in the ICU. Kidneys are capable of healing themselves, but will the recover all the way to fully functional? How about the liver, and the lining of the blood vessels?

It will take at least a year, unfortunately, before we can assess the situation accurately. Will the long term damage be concentrated among the elderly and those with co-morbidities, or will it affect young, healthy people as well? Will some or all of the long term damage heal slowly over time? We just don't know. Awhile back, Bloomberg posited that perhaps Covid will turn out to be our generation's polio. The data doesn't support that yet, but there are reasons to be concerned.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 6,925

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/26/2020 12:59:23 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
L.C. wrote:
A study just came out on the use of HCQ, when given early.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S147789...

Since this is the football board, I won't go into the results of the main part of the study, but if any are interested, they can follow the link and read the study. Buried in the study is this interesting finding:

French Study of HCQ wrote:
...We performed 2,065 low-dose computed tomography (CT) scans highlighting lung lesions in 592 of the 991 (59.7%) patients with minimal clinical symptoms (NEWS score = 0). ...


So, 991 patients had minimal clinical symptoms. Of those who didn't report any apparent symptoms, 60% actually had lung lesions, which were detected on a CT scan. The presence of lung lesions, even though they might be insignificant for an average person, might affect the athletic performance of a top athlete. Will we see players who have to give up their sport because they no longer have the lung capacity they once had?


Yeah, I think this is an interesting, and under thought through piece of all of this. We really don't know the long-term effects of this disease. I suspect that a lot of athletes would reconsider going into 'the bubble' or coming back early if they thought there was a chance it would impact their career longevity.


I don't know. Football players put up with the likelihood that they'll have long-term brain damage. The effect of Covid probably doesn't concern them.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Mike Johnson
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: North Canton, OH
Post Count: 1,492

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/26/2020 1:14:34 PM 
Today's NYT reports multiple positive test results among players at Kansas State - whose president doubts 12 games will be played - Clemson, LSU, Texas. Same article reports that Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia have refused to disclose test results.


http://www.facebook.com/mikejohnson.author

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,321

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/26/2020 1:42:54 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
L.C. wrote:
A study just came out on the use of HCQ, when given early.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S147789...

Since this is the football board, I won't go into the results of the main part of the study, but if any are interested, they can follow the link and read the study. Buried in the study is this interesting finding:

French Study of HCQ wrote:
...We performed 2,065 low-dose computed tomography (CT) scans highlighting lung lesions in 592 of the 991 (59.7%) patients with minimal clinical symptoms (NEWS score = 0). ...


So, 991 patients had minimal clinical symptoms. Of those who didn't report any apparent symptoms, 60% actually had lung lesions, which were detected on a CT scan. The presence of lung lesions, even though they might be insignificant for an average person, might affect the athletic performance of a top athlete. Will we see players who have to give up their sport because they no longer have the lung capacity they once had?


Yeah, I think this is an interesting, and under thought through piece of all of this. We really don't know the long-term effects of this disease. I suspect that a lot of athletes would reconsider going into 'the bubble' or coming back early if they thought there was a chance it would impact their career longevity.


I don't know. Football players put up with the likelihood that they'll have long-term brain damage. The effect of Covid probably doesn't concern them.


“Likelihood”. You have the data to back up such a claim?
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,250

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/26/2020 3:36:33 PM 
Here's another article about this subject:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eff...

Reuters wrote:
...
While coronavirus symptoms typically resolve in two or three weeks, an estimated 1 in 10 experience prolonged symptoms, Dr. Helen Salisbury of the University of Oxford wrote in the British Medical Journal on Tuesday.
...
“If you previously ran 5k three times a week and now feel breathless after a single flight of stairs, or if you cough incessantly and are too exhausted to return to work, then the fear that you may never regain your previous health is very real,” she wrote.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,321

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/26/2020 4:12:38 PM 
L.C. wrote:
Here's another article about this subject:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eff...

Reuters wrote:
...
While coronavirus symptoms typically resolve in two or three weeks, an estimated 1 in 10 experience prolonged symptoms, Dr. Helen Salisbury of the University of Oxford wrote in the British Medical Journal on Tuesday.
...
“If you previously ran 5k three times a week and now feel breathless after a single flight of stairs, or if you cough incessantly and are too exhausted to return to work, then the fear that you may never regain your previous health is very real,” she wrote.



Got a good friend who has had a lot of these problems, spent 12 days in the hospital end of last month. Started as blood clotting issues in his lungs. Since it’s been one problem after another, he’s yet to be tested.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,250

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/26/2020 7:00:25 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
L.C. wrote:
Here's another article about this subject:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eff...

Reuters wrote:
...
While coronavirus symptoms typically resolve in two or three weeks, an estimated 1 in 10 experience prolonged symptoms, Dr. Helen Salisbury of the University of Oxford wrote in the British Medical Journal on Tuesday.
...
“If you previously ran 5k three times a week and now feel breathless after a single flight of stairs, or if you cough incessantly and are too exhausted to return to work, then the fear that you may never regain your previous health is very real,” she wrote.



Got a good friend who has had a lot of these problems, spent 12 days in the hospital end of last month. Started as blood clotting issues in his lungs. Since it’s been one problem after another, he’s yet to be tested.

I'm sorry to hear that, Billy. I hope he recovers, and can get back to full health.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,250

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/29/2020 7:29:35 PM 
Won't be long before we find out the longer term effects of Covid19 on athletes. It seems that now 37 football players at Clemson have tested positive:
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/06/26/nearly-one-... /
I hope they all have a full recovery.

Is better to get it now, than not? Some think yes, but there is no consensus
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/06/fact-or-fictio...

Last Edited: 6/29/2020 7:38:36 PM by L.C.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 6,925

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/29/2020 9:28:02 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Pataskala wrote:


I don't know. Football players put up with the likelihood that they'll have long-term brain damage. The effect of Covid probably doesn't concern them.


“Likelihood”. You have the data to back up such a claim?


https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/archives/2019/august/stu...

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-care-news/articles/201...

https://news.virginia.edu/content/subconcussions-cause-ch...

https://www.fastcompany.com/90458266/researchers-pinpoint...

Last Edited: 6/29/2020 9:36:49 PM by Pataskala


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,321

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/29/2020 11:12:11 PM 
Let a case breakout within a team in September and the season will be over. That’s what these folks (many fail to get), they will cancel seasons if teams come down with outbreaks, this isn’t the flu, you get it on Monday of game 3, you may be done.
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,025

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/30/2020 10:41:16 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Let a case breakout within a team in September and the season will be over. That’s what these folks (many fail to get), they will cancel seasons if teams come down with outbreaks, this isn’t the flu, you get it on Monday of game 3, you may be done.


Agree - and requires the question to be asked - are teams looking to create their own, isolated herd immunity now so as to be protected in September?

Does that change if say, Clemson University has to throw everyone off campus in late September because there has been a massive outbreak of the virus amongst the student body as whole?

The chances of the academic and athletic season going smoothly in the fall are slim.

Last Edited: 6/30/2020 10:41:46 AM by cc-cat

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,546

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/30/2020 10:56:35 AM 
cc-cat wrote:

Agree - and requires the question to be asked - are teams looking to create their own, isolated herd immunity now so as to be protected in September?

Does that change if say, Clemson University has to throw everyone off campus in late September because there has been a massive outbreak of the virus amongst the student body as whole?

The chances of the academic and athletic season going smoothly in the fall are slim.


Agree, as well. I think the only approach that's remotely feasible is the 'bubble' approach, but even that has a lot of flaws. It requires a lot of people to run a college football program. Beyond the players and coaches, there are chefs, support staff, security staff, trainers, doctors, Urban Meyer's lifestyle guru. Oh, and pretty sure the players are supposed to be students, too.

It's really hard to imagine a scenario where you can create a bubble that doesn't have to have dozens of people going in and out every day. Hard to see a path for college football that makes a ton of sense. Right now, the only plan that I can see that involves playing the games requires the NCAA to just say f*ck it and decide they'll take the risk.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,250

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 6/30/2020 2:33:24 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Let a case breakout within a team in September and the season will be over. That’s what these folks (many fail to get), they will cancel seasons if teams come down with outbreaks, this isn’t the flu, you get it on Monday of game 3, you may be done.


I think even more will depend on the recovery of the already infected athletes. If all, or almost all recover completely in a couple of weeks, and are back to 100%, that will make a season very likely. If a number of them have incomplete recovery, and have issues that will keep them from competing, that will end any discussion of having a season at all.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,546

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 7/1/2020 10:40:14 AM 
L.C. wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Let a case breakout within a team in September and the season will be over. That’s what these folks (many fail to get), they will cancel seasons if teams come down with outbreaks, this isn’t the flu, you get it on Monday of game 3, you may be done.


I think even more will depend on the recovery of the already infected athletes. If all, or almost all recover completely in a couple of weeks, and are back to 100%, that will make a season very likely. If a number of them have incomplete recovery, and have issues that will keep them from competing, that will end any discussion of having a season at all.



As of now, the military is not allowing enlistments from anybody who contracted Covid. It's a temporary policy, but one that's driven by longterm concerns.
Back to Top
  
Mike Johnson
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: North Canton, OH
Post Count: 1,492

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 7/1/2020 11:33:56 AM 
This morning NPR reported that a Dover HS player tested positive for Covid and that the school has canceled its football season.


http://www.facebook.com/mikejohnson.author

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,013

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 7/1/2020 12:03:55 PM 
Mike Johnson wrote:
This morning NPR reported that a Dover HS player tested positive for Covid and that the school has canceled its football season.


Just talked with an administrator in the New Philly system. They just shut down summer workouts.

https://www.timesreporter.com/news/20200630/dover-footbal...

Last Edited: 7/1/2020 12:13:00 PM by Alan Swank

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,402

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 7/1/2020 12:16:11 PM 
According to the Canton Repository, they have shut down practice for a quarantine period. No mention of season cancellation.


Back to Top
  
ou79
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 549

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 7/1/2020 1:01:42 PM 
In Belmont County a similar thing happened which caused Shadyside, Bellaire, Martins Ferry and I think St. Clairsville to quarantine for 2 weeks. Also, I believe Caldwell just did the same thing.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,321

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 7/2/2020 7:28:23 AM 
ou79 wrote:
In Belmont County a similar thing happened which caused Shadyside, Bellaire, Martins Ferry and I think St. Clairsville to quarantine for 2 weeks. Also, I believe Caldwell just did the same thing.


This problem is the exact same problem colleges and Universities are going to have. And that is keeping their athletes from doing Teenage and college things. In the Belmont County case, a bunch went to the beached brought it ho,e. In the University setting, getting the athletes to avoid crowds, parties, malls, cities, etc is proving to be very difficult.
Back to Top
  
Mike Johnson
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: North Canton, OH
Post Count: 1,492

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 7/2/2020 11:18:42 AM 
This morning's NYT reports that Morehouse University has canceled its season. Its president, after thinking things through, concluded that if player safety is paramount, his decision was the responsible one.


http://www.facebook.com/mikejohnson.author

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,250

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 7/2/2020 4:10:12 PM 
And, even as administrators try to find ways to keep the students safe, the students sometime act like these students in Alabama who held "Covid parties" where they invite someone confirmed positive, and then take bets on who will get sick first:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/alabama-college-...


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
MonroeClassmate
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2010
Post Count: 1,278

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 7/2/2020 7:16:35 PM 
Any historians here know what high schools, colleges and universities did back in 1918 when the flu was killing the young (average age 26) vs current pandemic where the average age is 80?

Cancellations? Lock downs? Classes cancelled?

On a separate note, what is the legal risk to any university that mandates that students live on campus for a period of time? Some student is forced to live in a triple, virtually no physical distancing, contracts the illness and passes away. Isn't that a potential liability that could cost the university millions?

Could a parent, especially a parent with a child with existing comorbidity get out of living in a dorm? Should universities do away with the mandatory dorm requirement and make it voluntary?

Happy 4th of July weekend ALL.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 6,925

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Another problem of Covid?
   Posted: 7/2/2020 9:29:13 PM 
L.C. wrote:
And, even as administrators try to find ways to keep the students safe, the students sometime act like these students in Alabama who held "Covid parties" where they invite someone confirmed positive, and then take bets on who will get sick first:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/alabama-college-...


I would chalk that up to the kids being under 22 and thus their brains aren't yet fully developed, but some adults aren't any smarter.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 26 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties