Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  Hagan

Topic:  Hagan
Author
Message
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 4,384

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Hagan
   Posted: 1/19/2020 1:28:27 PM 
https://thevikingage.com/2019/12/21/four-2020-draft-sleep... /


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,542

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Hagan
   Posted: 1/20/2020 12:26:28 AM 
Interesting analysis. Thanks for posting, allen!


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 4,384

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Hagan
   Posted: 1/21/2020 2:27:17 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Interesting analysis. Thanks for posting, allen!


You’re welcome Catfan


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
bshot44
General User



Member Since: 2/12/2012
Post Count: 2,147

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Hagan
   Posted: 1/22/2020 5:54:37 PM 
Not sure how much stock I'm putting into ol' Luke Parrish's analysis ...

"He can force turnovers when the team needs it most ... "

So why was Ohio one of the worst in the country at creating turnovers this year?

"Hagan is a very strong tackler who can wrap up ... "

This guy must have only watched highlight reels. Hagan hasn't been a strong tackler since he arrived in Athens. The guy also referred to him as a heat-seeking missile ... that is more accurate. Hagan literally tries to destroy anything he sees ... which, in some cases, is great. In others ... when a simple tackle is necessary ... you see him getting dragged down the field for 5-7 extra yards.

I still don't think Hagan gets drafted ... but will get his shot as an UDFA in a mini-camp/training camp. I hope it works out. The more Bobcats in the NFL, the better! But I'm in the camp that he was over-hyped after a really impressive freshman year. I'm not saying he was bad ... but he just wasn't as good as many made him out to be.

This may be too broad ... but if he was that good, why did Ohio's secondary as a whole stink for a good part of his four years?
Back to Top
  
Bobcatboy5
General User

Member Since: 6/14/2017
Post Count: 165

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Hagan
   Posted: 1/22/2020 6:43:23 PM 
bshot44 wrote:
Not sure how much stock I'm putting into ol' Luke Parrish's analysis ...

"He can force turnovers when the team needs it most ... "

So why was Ohio one of the worst in the country at creating turnovers this year?

"Hagan is a very strong tackler who can wrap up ... "

This guy must have only watched highlight reels. Hagan hasn't been a strong tackler since he arrived in Athens. The guy also referred to him as a heat-seeking missile ... that is more accurate. Hagan literally tries to destroy anything he sees ... which, in some cases, is great. In others ... when a simple tackle is necessary ... you see him getting dragged down the field for 5-7 extra yards.

I still don't think Hagan gets drafted ... but will get his shot as an UDFA in a mini-camp/training camp. I hope it works out. The more Bobcats in the NFL, the better! But I'm in the camp that he was over-hyped after a really impressive freshman year. I'm not saying he was bad ... but he just wasn't as good as many made him out to be.

This may be too broad ... but if he was that good, why did Ohio's secondary as a whole stink for a good part of his four years?


It was horrible because there are four/five other guys in the secondary who couldn’t get their head around to save their life. If you watch film, he’s caused some fumbles that haven’t went our way. Also, I’d like to see the percentage on how many times the ball was thrown his way, it didn’t seem like it happened very often.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 5,906

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Hagan
   Posted: 1/22/2020 8:49:05 PM 
Bobcatboy5 wrote:
bshot44 wrote:
Not sure how much stock I'm putting into ol' Luke Parrish's analysis ...

"He can force turnovers when the team needs it most ... "

So why was Ohio one of the worst in the country at creating turnovers this year?

"Hagan is a very strong tackler who can wrap up ... "

This guy must have only watched highlight reels. Hagan hasn't been a strong tackler since he arrived in Athens. The guy also referred to him as a heat-seeking missile ... that is more accurate. Hagan literally tries to destroy anything he sees ... which, in some cases, is great. In others ... when a simple tackle is necessary ... you see him getting dragged down the field for 5-7 extra yards.

I still don't think Hagan gets drafted ... but will get his shot as an UDFA in a mini-camp/training camp. I hope it works out. The more Bobcats in the NFL, the better! But I'm in the camp that he was over-hyped after a really impressive freshman year. I'm not saying he was bad ... but he just wasn't as good as many made him out to be.

This may be too broad ... but if he was that good, why did Ohio's secondary as a whole stink for a good part of his four years?


It was horrible because there are four/five other guys in the secondary who couldn’t get their head around to save their life. If you watch film, he’s caused some fumbles that haven’t went our way. Also, I’d like to see the percentage on how many times the ball was thrown his way, it didn’t seem like it happened very often.



A Forced Fumble is credited if the ball is recovered by the defense or not, so regardless of wether or not the “fumble went our way” as you suggest, Hagan forced 7 Fumbles in his 4 years, but 5 of those were as a Freshman, 1 as a Sophomore, 0 as a Junior and 1 this past year. Most all of his production came as a Freshman.

That being said, he will get his opportunity, and I’m sure we will all wish him well.
Back to Top
  
Bobcatboy5
General User

Member Since: 6/14/2017
Post Count: 165

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Hagan
   Posted: 1/22/2020 11:07:31 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Bobcatboy5 wrote:
bshot44 wrote:
Not sure how much stock I'm putting into ol' Luke Parrish's analysis ...

"He can force turnovers when the team needs it most ... "

So why was Ohio one of the worst in the country at creating turnovers this year?

"Hagan is a very strong tackler who can wrap up ... "

This guy must have only watched highlight reels. Hagan hasn't been a strong tackler since he arrived in Athens. The guy also referred to him as a heat-seeking missile ... that is more accurate. Hagan literally tries to destroy anything he sees ... which, in some cases, is great. In others ... when a simple tackle is necessary ... you see him getting dragged down the field for 5-7 extra yards.

I still don't think Hagan gets drafted ... but will get his shot as an UDFA in a mini-camp/training camp. I hope it works out. The more Bobcats in the NFL, the better! But I'm in the camp that he was over-hyped after a really impressive freshman year. I'm not saying he was bad ... but he just wasn't as good as many made him out to be.

This may be too broad ... but if he was that good, why did Ohio's secondary as a whole stink for a good part of his four years?


It was horrible because there are four/five other guys in the secondary who couldn’t get their head around to save their life. If you watch film, he’s caused some fumbles that haven’t went our way. Also, I’d like to see the percentage on how many times the ball was thrown his way, it didn’t seem like it happened very often.



A Forced Fumble is credited if the ball is recovered by the defense or not, so regardless of wether or not the “fumble went our way” as you suggest, Hagan forced 7 Fumbles in his 4 years, but 5 of those were as a Freshman, 1 as a Sophomore, 0 as a Junior and 1 this past year. Most all of his production came as a Freshman.

That being said, he will get his opportunity, and I’m sure we will all wish him well.


I know what a forced fumble is. I’m saying that not all of them will be noticed because we didn’t recover them.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 5,906

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Hagan
   Posted: 1/23/2020 3:28:05 PM 
Bobcatboy5 wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Bobcatboy5 wrote:
bshot44 wrote:
Not sure how much stock I'm putting into ol' Luke Parrish's analysis ...

"He can force turnovers when the team needs it most ... "

So why was Ohio one of the worst in the country at creating turnovers this year?

"Hagan is a very strong tackler who can wrap up ... "

This guy must have only watched highlight reels. Hagan hasn't been a strong tackler since he arrived in Athens. The guy also referred to him as a heat-seeking missile ... that is more accurate. Hagan literally tries to destroy anything he sees ... which, in some cases, is great. In others ... when a simple tackle is necessary ... you see him getting dragged down the field for 5-7 extra yards.

I still don't think Hagan gets drafted ... but will get his shot as an UDFA in a mini-camp/training camp. I hope it works out. The more Bobcats in the NFL, the better! But I'm in the camp that he was over-hyped after a really impressive freshman year. I'm not saying he was bad ... but he just wasn't as good as many made him out to be.

This may be too broad ... but if he was that good, why did Ohio's secondary as a whole stink for a good part of his four years?


It was horrible because there are four/five other guys in the secondary who couldn’t get their head around to save their life. If you watch film, he’s caused some fumbles that haven’t went our way. Also, I’d like to see the percentage on how many times the ball was thrown his way, it didn’t seem like it happened very often.



A Forced Fumble is credited if the ball is recovered by the defense or not, so regardless of wether or not the “fumble went our way” as you suggest, Hagan forced 7 Fumbles in his 4 years, but 5 of those were as a Freshman, 1 as a Sophomore, 0 as a Junior and 1 this past year. Most all of his production came as a Freshman.

That being said, he will get his opportunity, and I’m sure we will all wish him well.


I know what a forced fumble is. I’m saying that not all of them will be noticed because we didn’t recover them.


What I’m saying is in the last 3 years he had 2 FF, not what I’d call a turnover machine.
Back to Top
  
Kevin Finnegan
General User

Member Since: 2/4/2005
Location: Rockton, IL
Post Count: 712

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Hagan
   Posted: 1/23/2020 3:50:24 PM 
Actually read the recap/review and wondered if somebody just watched his freshman year and wrote that up. I wish all this had been illustrated in his junior/senior seasons, but I didn't see it at least.
Back to Top
  
CatsUp
General User

Member Since: 4/15/2019
Post Count: 169

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Hagan
   Posted: 1/23/2020 4:19:28 PM 
Is it possible that playing his freshman year with a defense that included Poling, Moore, Brown, Sayles, Basham, etc. enabled him to focus more on stripping the ball, not covering for others, etc. Worth mentioning I think.
Back to Top
  
ExCat21
General User

Member Since: 9/29/2014
Post Count: 604

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Hagan
   Posted: 1/23/2020 9:41:55 PM 
CatsUp wrote:
Is it possible that playing his freshman year with a defense that included Poling, Moore, Brown, Sayles, Basham, etc. enabled him to focus more on stripping the ball, not covering for others, etc. Worth mentioning I think.


Bingo! He had less assignments and more opps to make plays as a freshman. As those guys left he became a band-aid to what's here now. More responsibilities and less freedom in the backfield the past few years to help over top. Off topic but still relevant, this is why I advocate adding 3-4 defense to our 4-3. There are years where we have more/better LBs than D-Lineman and then the next year better D-Lineman than LBs, Corners & Safeties vice versa. I think we could gain a competitive edge adding that wrinkle to our defense and help us in years where a position is low in numbers.
Back to Top
  
TrueFan
General User

Member Since: 10/16/2016
Post Count: 83

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Hagan
   Posted: 1/24/2020 1:06:29 PM 
Kevin Finnegan wrote:
Actually read the recap/review and wondered if somebody just watched his freshman year and wrote that up. I wish all this had been illustrated in his junior/senior seasons, but I didn't see it at least.


It’s possible, but it’s not like he had the “WORST “ JR/SR season.. GEESH. One thing I did notice he was more focused on going for the strip, than the tackle. He was “trying “ to make a play that we were demanding. Unfortunately just like we watch film, so do they. They tell their players to hold on to that ball, and “clearly “ they don’t throw in his direction. What’s the saying? “ They got film on him now”. As far as tackling techniques, hopefully someone at the next level can help him with that. Damn, our leading tackler is the safety. I wonder who is going to step up and save us from Kent State next year? Good luck young man, I look forward to watching you at the next level.. #7
Back to Top
  
Maddog13
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Post Count: 392

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Hagan
   Posted: 1/28/2020 8:38:10 AM 
My assessment of Hagan is that he was frequently around the ball; appears to have been a man amongst boys with an NFL like physical build; and has natural athletic talent. The question though is whether he has that drive, level of aggression, and single focus that NFL scouts seem to be looking for. That is fine by me if he doesn't, because I like well rounded people who have multiple interests. I would love to see how he does against higher level competition. While watching LSU and Clemson compete in the National Championship game, I was blown away by how aggressive, intense, and seemingly super human both the secondary and wide receivers in that game on both sides were. Good Lord, the speed seen in that game was almost blinding.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 13  of 13 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties