Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  Next year

Topic:  Next year
Author
Message
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: 69.5 miles from Peden Stadium
Post Count: 6,691

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Next year
   Posted: 11/13/2019 10:02:24 AM 
Can't help thinking that with no experienced QBs, lines that have been less than impressive, a defense that can't buy a takeaway and big question marks on special teams, we'll be ranked pretty low in the division going into next year. If they schedule midweek games based on their likely effect on the division races, maybe we'll get some Saturday games in November after all.


Actually, the phrase is "Ohio on the Charles."

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,322

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/13/2019 10:31:03 AM 
Pataskala wrote:
Can't help thinking that with no experienced QBs, lines that have been less than impressive, a defense that can't buy a takeaway and big question marks on special teams, we'll be ranked pretty low in the division going into next year. If they schedule midweek games based on their likely effect on the division races, maybe we'll get some Saturday games in November after all.


The silver lining! Also, don’t forget that being ranked low In preseason rankings can be a blessing in disguise, since the MAC is so unpredictable.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
ChiCat2018
General User

Member Since: 8/27/2018
Post Count: 49

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/13/2019 10:43:44 AM 
I'm sure Kurtis or Joe will get some game reps before the season is over. Getting the extra practices that come with a bowl appearance will also go a long way

Last Edited: 11/13/2019 11:39:17 AM by ChiCat2018

Back to Top
  
OhioBobcat
General User

Member Since: 1/20/2006
Post Count: 1,064

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/13/2019 11:55:21 AM 
ChiCat2018 wrote:
I'm sure Kurtis or Joe will get some game reps before the season is over. Getting the extra practices that come with a bowl appearance will also go a long way


This, and I wouldn't count out a grad transfer or Juco QB being added either. In fact, I pretty much expect it.
Back to Top
  
OhioBobcat
General User

Member Since: 1/20/2006
Post Count: 1,064

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/13/2019 11:58:11 AM 
Pataskala wrote:
We'll be ranked pretty low in the division going into next year.


I disagree. Ohio will be returning a lot of starters on both sides of the ball next year. And BG and Akron will be picked below Ohio as well.
Back to Top
  
ChiCat2018
General User

Member Since: 8/27/2018
Post Count: 49

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/13/2019 12:16:37 PM 
Realistically we're only losing 3 starters on offense and 4 on defense. Hopefully go .500 in OOC, stay healthy, develop as a team and I'm pretty confident with the talent/experience on the field going into MAC play.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,322

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/13/2019 12:23:05 PM 
As a long time Cub fan, I'm very adept at the "Wait 'till next year" mantra. But, the Cubs proved that if you mouth it long enough, eventually it will come true! ;-)


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
bigtillyoopsupsideurhead
General User



Member Since: 12/1/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 1,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/13/2019 2:37:36 PM 
On paper it's probably the fewest players we've lost in a decade.

Rourke, Hagan, and Pleasants are three big losses, but the majority of the team is back (for better or worse).

Having a game-ready QB will be the difference between another 6-6 season or playing in the MAC title game.

Back to Top
  
Kevin Finnegan
General User

Member Since: 2/4/2005
Location: Rockton, IL
Post Count: 695

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/13/2019 3:26:50 PM 
The good news/bad news about having a brand-new QB next year is that often our first year with a QB is their best year (at least record-wise) with OHIO. Tettleton started in 2011 and went 10-4 (our only 10 win season under Solich). He reached 9 wins the following year, then ended his career with a 7-6 season. Rourke, in 2017, went 9-4. He duplicated that this year, but is in jeopardy of our first losing season since 2008. Point being, having a returning QB, which is often a barometer of greater future success, has not been so for us since Boo Jackson.
Back to Top
  
Mark Lembright '85
General User

Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Lyndhurst, OH
Post Count: 2,323

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/13/2019 8:31:09 PM 
finnOhio wrote:
The good news/bad news about having a brand-new QB next year is that often our first year with a QB is their best year (at least record-wise) with OHIO. Tettleton started in 2011 and went 10-4 (our only 10 win season under Solich). He reached 9 wins the following year, then ended his career with a 7-6 season. Rourke, in 2017, went 9-4. He duplicated that this year, but is in jeopardy of our first losing season since 2008. Point being, having a returning QB, which is often a barometer of greater future success, has not been so for us since Boo Jackson.


Good point, although I don’t think Rourke regressed at all this year; the defense did, big time.
Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On US33 between Athens and Madison Co., OH
Post Count: 7,130

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/13/2019 9:28:17 PM 
Next year, we revert back to the old days and come solely to tailgate and for the band! 😂😂😂😂
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 1,292

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/14/2019 10:59:13 AM 
It doesn't matter who we have back...we do this every year. As long as the vanilla coaching staff is back WE WILL NOT COMPETE FOR A MAC TITLE!!!
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: 69.5 miles from Peden Stadium
Post Count: 6,691

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/14/2019 11:38:08 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
As a long time Cub fan, I'm very adept at the "Wait 'till next year" mantra. But, the Cubs proved that if you mouth it long enough, eventually it will come true! ;-)


So it'll happen in 2039? Or maybe 2076?


Actually, the phrase is "Ohio on the Charles."

Back to Top
  
Urban Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/14/2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Count: 506

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/15/2019 1:50:44 AM 
I guarantee we will have a MACC by 2099!


URBAN BOBCAT

Back to Top
  
OUcats82
General User



Member Since: 1/9/2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,542

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/15/2019 8:30:59 AM 
It does seem like the team always does best when expectations are nill. Seasons have ended up going down the dumper when they've been picked to win the MACC/East.

While having Rourke back was awesome, it's obvious the staff didn't do enough to reload and coach up the talent that was lost last year-especially on defense.

This year's team seemed to be a little too mentally weak for my tastes. Hopefully getting slapped around in some defeats and getting their pockets picked in others will drive them in the offseason to improve in all areas.

Part of me wants to take solace in the fact that they lost all 3 MAC games by a total of 9 points. But they also only won two of them by a total of 8 points.

2-4 at home is unacceptable.


Ohio-The State University

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: 69.5 miles from Peden Stadium
Post Count: 6,691

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/15/2019 10:40:54 AM 
OUcats82 wrote:
It does seem like the team always does best when expectations are nill. Seasons have ended up going down the dumper when they've been picked to win the MACC/East.

While having Rourke back was awesome, it's obvious the staff didn't do enough to reload and coach up the talent that was lost last year-especially on defense.

This year's team seemed to be a little too mentally weak for my tastes. Hopefully getting slapped around in some defeats and getting their pockets picked in others will drive them in the offseason to improve in all areas.

Part of me wants to take solace in the fact that they lost all 3 MAC games by a total of 9 points. But they also only won two of them by a total of 8 points.

2-4 at home is unacceptable.


Six takeaways in ten games and a -8 turnover margin is also unacceptable.


Actually, the phrase is "Ohio on the Charles."

Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,367

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/20/2019 9:12:31 AM 
I really like our running backs and receivers including tight ends who are coming back. I think we’ll be okay offensively even without any returning QB experience,u
Back to Top
  
Doc Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,585

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/20/2019 9:20:29 AM 
colobobcat66 wrote:
I really like our running backs and receivers including tight ends who are coming back. I think we’ll be okay offensively even without any returning QB experience,u


And our D looks good with all 3 starting linebackers. I really like Thompson.....saw him deliver a monster hit or two last night.

OUr biggest ? next year might be the D line. We lose a couple and we seem to be getting no pass rush. My hope is that young studs like Burton and Daxon will be ready to play.
Back to Top
  
OhioBobcat
General User

Member Since: 1/20/2006
Post Count: 1,064

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/20/2019 9:27:41 AM 
Bobcat1998 wrote:
It doesn't matter who we have back...we do this every year. As long as the vanilla coaching staff is back WE WILL NOT COMPETE FOR A MAC TITLE!!!


How do you even make a statement like that when Ohio actually DOES compete for one year in and year out??? Look at the last decade alone, where Ohio was in Detroit for nearly half of those years and was in the upper half of the standings in all of those years. You’ve never seen anything like what BG and Akron are doing right now from Ohio, and further, no one from the East has been to Detroit more than Ohio has in that time. What’s more, NIU may be the only team from the entire MAC to advance to Detroit more than Ohio in that span. Ohio is always in the race and often in the game to decide the title. Ohio is the epitome of a team competing for a MAC title.
Back to Top
  
Bobcatboy5
General User

Member Since: 6/14/2017
Post Count: 137

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year (NT)
   Posted: 11/20/2019 10:07:52 AM 

Last Edited: 11/20/2019 10:10:14 AM by Bobcatboy5

Back to Top
  
Bobcatboy5
General User

Member Since: 6/14/2017
Post Count: 137

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/20/2019 10:09:58 AM 
colobobcat66 wrote:
I really like our running backs and receivers including tight ends who are coming back. I think we’ll be okay offensively even without any returning QB experience,u


Kurtis made a couple good reads on the read option play they were running last night. He also showed some speed when he kept it himself.
Back to Top
  
bshot44
General User



Member Since: 2/12/2012
Post Count: 2,107

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/20/2019 11:49:43 AM 
OhioBobcat wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
It doesn't matter who we have back...we do this every year. As long as the vanilla coaching staff is back WE WILL NOT COMPETE FOR A MAC TITLE!!!


How do you even make a statement like that when Ohio actually DOES compete for one year in and year out??? Look at the last decade alone, where Ohio was in Detroit for nearly half of those years and was in the upper half of the standings in all of those years. You’ve never seen anything like what BG and Akron are doing right now from Ohio, and further, no one from the East has been to Detroit more than Ohio has in that time. What’s more, NIU may be the only team from the entire MAC to advance to Detroit more than Ohio in that span. Ohio is always in the race and often in the game to decide the title. Ohio is the epitome of a team competing for a MAC title.


Ummmm ... not sure what you're looking at?

Last ten years ... MAC title game appearances for East

BG 3
Ohio 2
Miami 2
Akron 1
Kent 1
Buffalo 1

That's not dominant as you portrayed.

20% of the time the last decade Ohio has been in the game to decide the title. That's not great.

But yes ... Ohio does not have the valleys that Miami, Kent, Akron and BG have seen in the last decade .... but they haven't exactly been living the high life dominating the worst division in football.

They're good enough to consistently finish in the top half of the worst division in college football.

Yeah.

Let's celebrate.
Back to Top
  
OhioBobcat
General User

Member Since: 1/20/2006
Post Count: 1,064

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/20/2019 2:43:04 PM 
bshot44 wrote:
OhioBobcat wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
It doesn't matter who we have back...we do this every year. As long as the vanilla coaching staff is back WE WILL NOT COMPETE FOR A MAC TITLE!!!


How do you even make a statement like that when Ohio actually DOES compete for one year in and year out??? Look at the last decade alone, where Ohio was in Detroit for nearly half of those years and was in the upper half of the standings in all of those years. You’ve never seen anything like what BG and Akron are doing right now from Ohio, and further, no one from the East has been to Detroit more than Ohio has in that time. What’s more, NIU may be the only team from the entire MAC to advance to Detroit more than Ohio in that span. Ohio is always in the race and often in the game to decide the title. Ohio is the epitome of a team competing for a MAC title.


Ummmm ... not sure what you're looking at?

Last ten years ... MAC title game appearances for East

BG 3
Ohio 2
Miami 2
Akron 1
Kent 1
Buffalo 1

That's not dominant as you portrayed.

20% of the time the last decade Ohio has been in the game to decide the title. That's not great.

But yes ... Ohio does not have the valleys that Miami, Kent, Akron and BG have seen in the last decade .... but they haven't exactly been living the high life dominating the worst division in football.

They're good enough to consistently finish in the top half of the worst division in college football.

Yeah.

Let's celebrate.


Let me rephrase it. From 2006-2016 Ohio was in the MACC 4 times. From 2006 until present day (2019), Ohio's 4 appearances are more than any other team in the entire MAC aside from NIU (CMU would tie OU if they get to Detroit this year).

Most MACC appearances since 2006 (West opponent for 2019 is TBA):

NIU - 7
OU - 4
BG - 3
MU - 3
CMU - 3
UB - 2
UT - 1
WMU - 1
BSU - 1
KSU - 1
UA -1
EMU - 0

On top of that, even in years that Ohio doesn't get to Detroit, the Bobcats are always in contention for the MACC. During that span Ohio has finished 1st or 2nd in 10 out of those 14 seasons and has never finished as low as 5th or 6th place. In fact, since 2009 Ohio has never finished in the bottom half of the division and what's more, since 2014 has only finished in first or second.

Ohio's MAC East Finishes since 2006:
First - 4 times
Second - 6 times
Third - 2 times
Fourth - 2 times
Fifth - 0 times
Sixth - 0 times

So for the past decade and a half, Ohio has proven year-in and year-out to be a contender for the MACC, whether anyone likes the fact or not.

Back to Top
  
doubledribble
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2010
Post Count: 503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/20/2019 2:57:26 PM 
Bshot..knowbody is "celebrating" as you suggest. Anyone that has watched this coaching staff's teams over their tenure at Ohio, has zero credibility if they cannot see that Ohio has competed year in and year out to bring a MACC to Ohio. To everyones disapointment, coaches, players and fans alike, it hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, Ohio has established a program that other schools have openly tried to emulate. We are obviously doing things the right way. I am with the program through the ups and downs that is collegiate athletics. My experience competing for MAC championships helped me to understand how difficult reaching that goal is. This experience of fighting to reach championship levels of performance taught me important life's lessons that have served me well in my career. I am certain that many of our Bobcats who have represented Ohio in the past 15 years have learned those same lessons and are bettter young men for their Bobcat experience. We have a program that we all should be very proud of. Under Frank's leadership, Bobcat's will continue to strive to do things the right way in their pursuit of MACC championships that we all are looking forward to experiencing. All aboard, enjoy the ride, Go Bobcats!
Back to Top
  
OhioBobcat
General User

Member Since: 1/20/2006
Post Count: 1,064

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Next year
   Posted: 11/20/2019 4:40:46 PM 
doubledribble wrote:
Bshot..knowbody is "celebrating" as you suggest. Anyone that has watched this coaching staff's teams over their tenure at Ohio, has zero credibility if they cannot see that Ohio has competed year in and year out to bring a MACC to Ohio. To everyones disapointment, coaches, players and fans alike, it hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, Ohio has established a program that other schools have openly tried to emulate. We are obviously doing things the right way. I am with the program through the ups and downs that is collegiate athletics. My experience competing for MAC championships helped me to understand how difficult reaching that goal is. This experience of fighting to reach championship levels of performance taught me important life's lessons that have served me well in my career. I am certain that many of our Bobcats who have represented Ohio in the past 15 years have learned those same lessons and are bettter young men for their Bobcat experience. We have a program that we all should be very proud of. Under Frank's leadership, Bobcat's will continue to strive to do things the right way in their pursuit of MACC championships that we all are looking forward to experiencing. All aboard, enjoy the ride, Go Bobcats!


Well said
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 56 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2 | 3    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties