Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)

Topic:  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
Author
Message
RedhawkFanPleaseBeNice
General User



Member Since: 10/21/2019
Post Count: 1

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 10:02:13 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:


If you can't tell the difference between using a name and using an exaggerated skin color then I don't know what to tell you.


So,if Miami called their teams "The Miami Natives" would that be O.K. ?

Maybe,when they were considering the name change,Miami should have found out what
the descendents of the Miami's, who are now the "Miami Tribe of Oklahoma" thought about the team name.





As I understand it and remember it, Miami had the longstanding support of the Miami Tribe. They even had a representative of the tribe who would do a genuine war dance in native garb at some of their games. I remember seeing this on more that one occasion. However, at one point the tribe withdrew their support, and that's when they made the name change. So on that level, Miami's decision seems reasonable to me.

As a side note, it's interesting the term "redskin" is actually an English translation of an Indian word (forget which tribal language). This traces way back to some of the first meetings of the aboriginal peoples and the Europeans. The tribe in question called the Europeans a word translated into English as "paleface" and then they coined the expression translated as "redskin" to refer to themselves. Let me say that I haven't researched this etymology myself, but was told this by an expert in the field. If true, it's quite interesting and puts, perhaps, a slightly different context for these discussions.


I personally have always heard that it wasn't the tribe themselves who pressured the university to change their name, but it was the PC police. Miami's website says otherwise: https://miamioh.edu/miami-tribe-relations/history / Either way, I don't think Miami will ever wear the redskin name again, even though there is a giant redskin logo still plastered on the back of the press box at Yager stadium.
Back to Top
  
bobcatgrad
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Post Count: 216

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 10:03:40 AM 
SBH wrote:
Change their mascot to a red skin potato and the problem is solved.


Or just give up on the whole Native American-themed name altogether and choose a name of something that actually exists (unlike a Red Hawk) and go with the Red Plungers.

A plunger can be red. And, what's more, it sucks.

Last Edited: 11/4/2019 10:09:58 AM by bobcatgrad

Back to Top
  
AlumDadDad
General User



Member Since: 10/18/2015
Post Count: 239

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 10:08:22 AM 
And...back to football...

OUr guys need to smash the J Crew-wearin' preppies in the mouth on the opening kickoff and continually throughout the game. Keep it up until the game is OUrs and Fiami sulks back to their bus to cry in their Perrier.

Get Frank his record and put Ohio squarely in the East Division driver's seat.

There - I feel better!

The unfortunate thing about Fiami's change of name is that the old one lent itself to modification into a rather derogatory version not repeatable on a family website.
Back to Top
  
AlumDadDad
General User



Member Since: 10/18/2015
Post Count: 239

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 10:17:29 AM 
RedhawkFanPleaseBeNice wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:


If you can't tell the difference between using a name and using an exaggerated skin color then I don't know what to tell you.


So,if Miami called their teams "The Miami Natives" would that be O.K. ?

Maybe,when they were considering the name change,Miami should have found out what
the descendents of the Miami's, who are now the "Miami Tribe of Oklahoma" thought about the team name.





As I understand it and remember it, Miami had the longstanding support of the Miami Tribe. They even had a representative of the tribe who would do a genuine war dance in native garb at some of their games. I remember seeing this on more that one occasion. However, at one point the tribe withdrew their support, and that's when they made the name change. So on that level, Miami's decision seems reasonable to me.

As a side note, it's interesting the term "redskin" is actually an English translation of an Indian word (forget which tribal language). This traces way back to some of the first meetings of the aboriginal peoples and the Europeans. The tribe in question called the Europeans a word translated into English as "paleface" and then they coined the expression translated as "redskin" to refer to themselves. Let me say that I haven't researched this etymology myself, but was told this by an expert in the field. If true, it's quite interesting and puts, perhaps, a slightly different context for these discussions.


I personally have always heard that it wasn't the tribe themselves who pressured the university to change their name, but it was the PC police. Miami's website says otherwise: https://miamioh.edu/miami-tribe-relations/history / Either way, I don't think Miami will ever wear the redskin name again, even though there is a giant redskin logo still plastered on the back of the press box at Yager stadium.


I have a couple of friends who are Miami Alums...we're friends 49 weeks of the year (one football and two basketball game weeks excluded). I don't think they'll ever forgive the university for the change.
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,091

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 12:45:46 PM 
We are 7 point favorites.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
ExCat21
General User

Member Since: 9/29/2014
Post Count: 576

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 1:23:26 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
finnOhio wrote:
Pretty cool facts about Miami vs. OHIO game:

https://www.ohio.edu/news/2019/10/bobcats-nationally-tele...

--Only game on the 150th anniversary of college football. We should be wearing throwback jerseys for sure.

--Frank looking to become winningest MAC coach in history. Sure, it'd be great if he had the conference championship to match, but this is pretty awesome.


Real cool idea: Wear blue and white. Those were the original OHIO colors that were used for years, until an early FB coach, who may have been either a new faculty member or a graduate student, could not find blue and white uniforms, so he ordered them from the supplier of his undergrad Alma Mater -- Dartmouth. And, the uniforms were Dartmouth green, of course. The very first OHIO football teams probably had blue and white uniforms. This story about the uniform color change with the ordering of the Dartmouth uniforms is repeated in several early stories about the program. I at one time interviewed Mrs. Charles G. O'Bleness, the widow of the manager of the first OHIO football team in early 1890s, and she supplied me with much information, some of which is probably legend, but probably as close as we'll get to the actual facts. That the school colors were blue and white is documented in many, many places, and is not a matter of dispute.


I wrote about this in another thread. I'm thrilled that you found this info. I read about this when I was there as a former student-athlete. OU was originally Blue and White. Thank you!!!

The original story: https://www.ohiobobcats.com/information/traditions

Last Edited: 11/4/2019 1:26:23 PM by ExCat21

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,258

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 1:49:25 PM 
ExCat21 wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
finnOhio wrote:
Pretty cool facts about Miami vs. OHIO game:

https://www.ohio.edu/news/2019/10/bobcats-nationally-tele...

--Only game on the 150th anniversary of college football. We should be wearing throwback jerseys for sure.

--Frank looking to become winningest MAC coach in history. Sure, it'd be great if he had the conference championship to match, but this is pretty awesome.


Real cool idea: Wear blue and white. Those were the original OHIO colors that were used for years, until an early FB coach, who may have been either a new faculty member or a graduate student, could not find blue and white uniforms, so he ordered them from the supplier of his undergrad Alma Mater -- Dartmouth. And, the uniforms were Dartmouth green, of course. The very first OHIO football teams probably had blue and white uniforms. This story about the uniform color change with the ordering of the Dartmouth uniforms is repeated in several early stories about the program. I at one time interviewed Mrs. Charles G. O'Bleness, the widow of the manager of the first OHIO football team in early 1890s, and she supplied me with much information, some of which is probably legend, but probably as close as we'll get to the actual facts. That the school colors were blue and white is documented in many, many places, and is not a matter of dispute.


I wrote about this in another thread. I'm thrilled that you found this info. I read about this when I was there as a former student-athlete. OU was originally Blue and White. Thank you!!!

The original story: https://www.ohiobobcats.com/information/traditions


Thanks for the link. I'd like to see the documentation about the student vote. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I have not run across that particular part of the story before. The things I've read indicated that the reason for the change was that it was hard to find uniforms in blue and white, and so the coach opted for green and white because of his Dartmouth connection. Never saw anything about a student vote.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,958

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 2:34:24 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
ExCat21 wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
finnOhio wrote:
Pretty cool facts about Miami vs. OHIO game:

https://www.ohio.edu/news/2019/10/bobcats-nationally-tele...

--Only game on the 150th anniversary of college football. We should be wearing throwback jerseys for sure.

--Frank looking to become winningest MAC coach in history. Sure, it'd be great if he had the conference championship to match, but this is pretty awesome.


Real cool idea: Wear blue and white. Those were the original OHIO colors that were used for years, until an early FB coach, who may have been either a new faculty member or a graduate student, could not find blue and white uniforms, so he ordered them from the supplier of his undergrad Alma Mater -- Dartmouth. And, the uniforms were Dartmouth green, of course. The very first OHIO football teams probably had blue and white uniforms. This story about the uniform color change with the ordering of the Dartmouth uniforms is repeated in several early stories about the program. I at one time interviewed Mrs. Charles G. O'Bleness, the widow of the manager of the first OHIO football team in early 1890s, and she supplied me with much information, some of which is probably legend, but probably as close as we'll get to the actual facts. That the school colors were blue and white is documented in many, many places, and is not a matter of dispute.


I wrote about this in another thread. I'm thrilled that you found this info. I read about this when I was there as a former student-athlete. OU was originally Blue and White. Thank you!!!

The original story: https://www.ohiobobcats.com/information/traditions


Thanks for the link. I'd like to see the documentation about the student vote. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I have not run across that particular part of the story before. The things I've read indicated that the reason for the change was that it was hard to find uniforms in blue and white, and so the coach opted for green and white because of his Dartmouth connection. Never saw anything about a student vote.

Student votes don't always matter. Back in 1972, the students at Northwestern were opposed to their nickname of "Wildcats" because too many other schools had it, so they had a vote, and a 59% majority voted to change the nickname to "Purple Haze". Nothing changed, however.
https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/northweste... /

Last Edited: 11/5/2019 5:59:40 PM by L.C.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
MonroeClassmate
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2010
Post Count: 1,185

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 6:30:39 PM 
SBH wrote:
Change their mascot to a red skin potato and the problem is solved.


I recall reading of a prominent Miami alum saying to change the name to the Redskin Peanuts.

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,230

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/5/2019 11:00:06 AM 
Someone help me: Can I somehow stream tomorrow's ESPN2 telecast? Spectrum finally pissed me off enough that I cut the cord entirely. I pay for ESPN+ but apparently this won't allow me to see the ESPN2 feed.

I really don't want to have to join the Akron Association of Ohio University Women (average age 68 and undoubtedly offering an all-you-can consume tea and crumpets bar) for their watch party...




Last Edited: 11/5/2019 11:02:25 AM by SBH

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,104

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/5/2019 11:14:42 AM 
Sign up for Hulu Live?

I agree, it's BS that paying for ESPN+ alone doesn't grant you access to all ESPN app content.

Last Edited: 11/5/2019 11:15:28 AM by shabamon

Back to Top
  
ExCat21
General User

Member Since: 9/29/2014
Post Count: 576

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/5/2019 12:43:04 PM 
SBH wrote:
Someone help me: Can I somehow stream tomorrow's ESPN2 telecast? Spectrum finally pissed me off enough that I cut the cord entirely. I pay for ESPN+ but apparently this won't allow me to see the ESPN2 feed.

I really don't want to have to join the Akron Association of Ohio University Women (average age 68 and undoubtedly offering an all-you-can consume tea and crumpets bar) for their watch party...






If you have Android....you can go to google and type in Mobdro. Download the app and accept permissions and you 1080P on your phone. I always cast it to the TV and it works great. Sorry....not for APPLE or IOS.

Last Edited: 11/5/2019 12:44:07 PM by ExCat21

Back to Top
  
Bobcatzblitz
General User

Member Since: 7/21/2010
Post Count: 1,588

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/5/2019 1:25:46 PM 
https://sportsurge.net
Back to Top
  
El Gato Roberto
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 665

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/5/2019 2:18:39 PM 
Buy a Roku stick.

https://www.roku.com /


"The name's Ohio University, but everybody calls me Ohio. Any of you guys call me Ohio U, and I'll kill you."

Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,338

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/5/2019 3:34:32 PM 
shabamon wrote:
Sign up for Hulu Live?

I agree, it's BS that paying for ESPN+ alone doesn't grant you access to all ESPN app content.


If you sign up for a one-week trial for Hulu Live tomorrow (or YouTube TV), it will last through the game next Tuesday, so you can get two games for one trial.

I know everyone wants to be able to sign up for ESPN+ and get all ESPN content, but do you really expect to get all of the ESPN networks for $5/month? This is a couple years old here, but at the time, ESPN alone through a cable provider came at a cost of $7.21 per month. Just one channel. The whole network of ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and SEC) cost a subscriber on average $9.06 per month, whether they watch them or not. You can get much cheaper cable packages if they exclude live sports channels, especially ESPN.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cable-satellite-tv-sub-fe...
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,230

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/5/2019 3:40:10 PM 
El Gato Roberto wrote:
Buy a Roku stick.

https://www.roku.com /


With Roku, you still need to document an existing cable TV provider account to activate ESPN streams.

Last Edited: 11/5/2019 3:40:23 PM by SBH

Back to Top
  
El Gato Roberto
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 665

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/5/2019 6:25:35 PM 
Yeah, sorry about that...I take my basic cable that comes with my internet package for granted.


"The name's Ohio University, but everybody calls me Ohio. Any of you guys call me Ohio U, and I'll kill you."

Back to Top
  
Bobcatboy5
General User

Member Since: 6/14/2017
Post Count: 129

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/5/2019 6:56:13 PM 
Not wearing the black jerseys tomorrow kinda makes me sad
Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 3,604

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/5/2019 8:36:47 PM 
Bobcatboy5 wrote:
Not wearing the black jerseys tomorrow kinda makes me sad


I'm all in on Green. That's our color. the blackout thing has become trite.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: 69.5 miles from Peden Stadium
Post Count: 6,643

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/5/2019 9:46:39 PM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Bobcatboy5 wrote:
Not wearing the black jerseys tomorrow kinda makes me sad


I'm all in on Green. That's our color. the blackout thing has become trite.


I thought the black jerseys from five or six years ago were a lot cooler than the more recent ones. Back then they were black except for the shoulders which had a green mesh and the numerals had a green trim. The most recent ones I remember were all black with white letters. Meh.


Actually, the phrase is "Ohio on the Charles."

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,258

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/5/2019 10:44:24 PM 
Never was a particular fan of the black jerseys. The players initially really liked them, so I felt if they liked the uniforms who was I to make a fuss about it. It should be blue and white tomorrow if we want to have truly throw-back uniforms that represent the earliest days of OHIO football to celebrate the beginning of the game.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,404

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/6/2019 6:39:12 AM 
Going O.T. for this post.

The college football fans out here,especially those who went to Rutgers or Princeton, are really upset that neither school was able to find a way to schedule a game tonight.

Of course,with the way RU is playing,they could play each other.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,104

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/6/2019 8:24:24 AM 
Desmond Howard in the broadcast booth, Holly Rowe on the sideline.
Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 6,154

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/6/2019 9:35:33 AM 

 


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 6,154

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/6/2019 9:36:42 AM 

 


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 75  of 185 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties