Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread

Topic:  Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
Author
Message
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 5,726

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/4/2016 3:32:25 PM 

Use this thread to talk about anything travel-related (Bobcat Bash, ticket info, hotels, places to eat/drink). 

Dollar General Bowl Website

Ohio Bowl Central

Bobcat Bash - OHIO Football is headed back to 'Bama for the Dollar General Bowl! Join fellow alumni and friends as we Stand Up and Cheer for the Bobcats in their matchup with the Troy University Trojans! Prior to the game, the OHIO Alumni Association will be hosting a pre-game Bobcat Bash, beginning at 4 p.m. (three hours prior to kickoff). Registration to the Bobcat Bash includes an all-you-can-eat buffet and two drink tickets redeemable for alcoholic beverages. The cost is $20 for attendees ages 13 and older, $10 for children ages 5-12, and free for children ages 4 and under.

The Bobcat Bash will be held in the east parking lot of Ladd-Peebles Stadium. Our site is approximately 100 feet from the stadium. We will be outdoors, so please plan accordingly for December weather in Mobile, AL. Average daytime temperatures are 60 degress, with the low typically being in the mid-40s.

Purchase Tickets - $45 for reserved tickets. Tickets for Kids (tickets will be donated to underprivileged youth in the area) $25 each. Tickets for Military (tickets will be donated to military members in the area) $25 each.

Bus Trip - Ohio Athletics is proud to offer a bus trip that will allow fans to attend the game and experience Alabama. The travel package is $50 for current students, and $150 for members of the general public. The trip includes:

-Bus transportation (departing the evening of Wednesday, December 21)
-One night (Thursday, December 22) stay at the Holiday Inn Express beachfront hotel in Orange Beach, Alabama
-Transportation to the game in Mobile
-Bus transportation home (departing following the game).

Buses will depart from the following locations, where fans will be able to leave their cars overnight if needed. All buses will depart the evening of Wednesday, December 21. 

Northeast Ohio
Walmart - Macedonia, Ohio
8160 Macedonia Commons Boulevard
Macedonia, Ohio 44056
Departure Time – 6:00 pm 

Athens
Walmart
929 East State Street
Athens, Ohio 45701
Departure Time – 6:30 pm 

Central Ohio
Walmart - Columbus, Ohio
2700 Bethel Road
Columbus, Ohio 43220
Departure Time – 8:45 pm 

Southwest Ohio
Walmart - Beavercreek, Ohio
3360 Pentagon Boulevard
Beavercreek, Ohio 45431
Departure Time – 10:45 pm

Availability is limited, and sellout demand is anticipated. To register, students must call 800-575-2287. Registration deadline is Friday, December 16 at 5:00 pm.

Please note that the trip is subject to cancellation if there is not sufficient demand.

 

 

Last Edited: 12/13/2016 4:19:48 PM by Ted Thompson


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
DXer
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Post Count: 123

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/4/2016 8:12:24 PM 
Hi,

I'm the Bobcat here in Mobile. I'll be more than happy to chime in and give you the local perspective on any questions anyone has about travel to Mobile and the entire bowl game event.

Be sure to be here at least the day before the game so you can be here for the Mardi Gras Parade at 6:30 pm. It is a full fledged Mardi Gras parade, not a small version of one. It is really neat to experience, and will bring tens of thousands of locals downtown for the event. The 110 will march in the parade and then have an outdoor concert/pep rally following the parade. Will be an outstanding time for everyone.

The annual Mayor's Luncheon for the game is at noon on the day before the game, too. We get about 2000 to attend this event every year. Steve Spurrier is the main speaker for the event. The 110 will also make an appearance and play during the luncheon.

Troy is only about 2-1/2 hours NE of Mobile and they will bring a crowd to the game. They travel well. It would be great if Ohio fans would match them in numbers.
Back to Top
  
mcbin
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: columbus, OH
Post Count: 931

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/4/2016 9:03:05 PM 
Dauphin Street has been calling my name for a few years now. I'll be there.

And just like old clothing style becomes new again as time goes by... Well now so is my avatar!

Last Edited: 12/4/2016 9:03:59 PM by mcbin

Back to Top
  
DXer
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Post Count: 123

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/4/2016 10:04:37 PM 
Let's have Dauphin St. become Court St. South for the week before Christmas. Dauphin St. has developed significantly since the Bobcats were last here 10 years ago.
Back to Top
  
Preeze
General User

Member Since: 9/12/2016
Post Count: 8

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/5/2016 2:39:57 PM 
The easy part is over, booked through Expedia.
The hard part telling 310lb lineman spent all Christmas dinner money on airfare!
Back to Top
  
DXer
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Post Count: 123

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/5/2016 9:07:13 PM 
A tip about flying into Mobile. The Mobile airport is a small regional airport, so the prices can be high. Nearby Pensacola many times offers very significant savings for the same destination at the same time, so many locals here will quite often fly out of Pensacola instead of Mobile. The Pensacola airport is just under an hour from downtown Mobile, and it is interstate highway all the way. So if you are planning on renting a car anyway to drive around to explorer the Mobile area while here, you might want to compare prices with Pensacola. SW Air flies between Columbus and Pensacola.

Gulfport, Mississippi also offers an option to look at. It is just over an hour from downtown Mobile. Sometimes they are cheaper, too, but not as often as Pensacola. However, there are ten large casinos in the Biloxi area on the way from the Gulfport airport, so this could be an option for anyone who likes to stop and play a little blackjack or hit the slots.
Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,125

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/8/2016 2:52:12 PM 
I will be there
Back to Top
  
Uncle Wes
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 3,668

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/10/2016 9:46:05 AM 
Pricing out flights on Skyscanner for 12/22-12/24. Finding flights from Atlanta and Jacksonville to be the cheapest at $256 and $312 respectively. New Orleans is $405 but may be worth it with the drive only 2 1/2 hours. You could do a day in New Orleans and hit the National World War II museum then get a place for the night of the game in Mobile. They've opened some more sections up since Ohio was there for the New Orleans Bowl but still waiting on the liberation pavilion.

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/expansion/liberation-pav...




Bobcat Sustainability
2018 Quentin Poling, 7th Round (Miami Dolphins)
2017 Tarell Basham, 3rd Round (Indianapolis Colts)
2017 Blair Brown, 5th Round (Jacksonville Jaguars)
2014 Travis Carrie, 7th Round (Oakland Raiders)
2013 Eric Herman, 7th Round (New York Giants)
2012 LaVon Brazil, 6th Round (Indianapolis Colts)
2010 Taylor Price, 3rd Round (NE Patriots)
2009 Mike Mitchell, 2nd Round (Oakland Raiders)
2008 Landon Cohen, 7th Round (Detroit Lions)

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 4,852

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/12/2016 5:29:25 PM 
Uncle Wes wrote:
Pricing out flights on Skyscanner for 12/22-12/24. Finding flights from Atlanta and Jacksonville to be the cheapest at $256 and $312 respectively. New Orleans is $405 but may be worth it with the drive only 2 1/2 hours. You could do a day in New Orleans and hit the National World War II museum then get a place for the night of the game in Mobile. They've opened some more sections up since Ohio was there for the New Orleans Bowl but still waiting on the liberation pavilion.

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/expansion/liberation-pav...





As a member of the WWII Museum since 2001, I strongly encourage everyone to take in this amazing museum, easily the nations best in my opinion.
Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 3,381

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/12/2016 6:38:10 PM 
I can't believe I'm considering this... and only slightly at that, but...this insane bus trip... Has anyone taken the bus and can speak to the overall experience/amenities? Does anyone know if the buses have wifi (like megabus)? power outlets? Is beer allowed? Is the included hotel cost assuming 2/room?
Back to Top
  
MobileBama
General User

Member Since: 11/13/2006
Location: Mobile, AL
Post Count: 6

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/12/2016 8:19:11 PM 
Welcome back to Mobile Bobcats. Terrible date but it is what it is.

Ben do you remember the crawfish boil? Hope your travels are less adventurous this year. Let me know if you or anyone wants to grab some beers while in town.

Looks like ya'll have a local Bobcat fan but if I can help please don't hesitate to ask. I highly recommend staying downtown so you're on the parade route and easy walking distance to bars/restaurants. Let me know if you have lodging questions. Battle House, Hampton Inn and Candlewood Suites are all showing rooms available and not terrible rates. If you want to be downtown but are on a budget check out Quality Inn. It's not fancy but safe and clean. It will probably be loud as all rooms share a open balcony and usually a party hotel but not too bad.

I highly suggest making reservations at Dumbwaiter Restaurant on Dauphin Street. It's fantastic and just a few blocks from downtown hotels
http://www.dumbwaiterrestaurant.com /

We have a really nice boutique movie theater downtown which serves beer and wine
It's A Wonderful Life (11am) and Manchester by the Sea (2,6, 8:45pm) are being shown while ya'll are in town http://www.crescenttheater.com /





I noticed the student bus is staying in Orange Beach. I HIGHLY suggest any student going to check out the Flora Bama which is just a few miles down the road. It's a pretty cool bar on the Alabama - Florida line right on the beach overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. A good live band is playing there Thursday night. Lead singer is a fraternity brother of mine. Some folks may mention the Hangout but it's really dead this time of year as is almost all of the beach. Get a bushwhacker!

Obviously won't be as crowded as summer but still fun if you have a big group of fans


If you're not into nightlife and want to shop, eat, watch a movie or ice skate check out The Wharf not far from hotel - http://alwharf.com /

Mobile is about an hour and 15 minutes drive so hanging out in Orange Beach is best option.





Last Edited: 12/12/2016 9:07:27 PM by MobileBama

Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 4,468

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/12/2016 9:48:12 PM 
Welcome back, MobileBama. Thanks for the info.
Back to Top
  
Scott Woods
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: On the banks of the Ohio, OH
Post Count: 191

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/13/2016 9:53:50 AM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
I can't believe I'm considering this... and only slightly at that, but...this insane bus trip... Has anyone taken the bus and can speak to the overall experience/amenities? Does anyone know if the buses have wifi (like megabus)? power outlets? Is beer allowed? Is the included hotel cost assuming 2/room?


I can only comment on the recent bus trip to the MACC game. They were Lakefront buses. They had no power outlets, but they did have wifi and it was OK at times. We were given almost no information about the trip before hand. I called and didn't get much help. After we boarded the bus, we got some information on stops, etc. and that no alcohol was allowed. However, people did have it and it wasn't stopped/discouraged in any way that I could see. It was decent as far as buses go and I was able to get *some* sleep on the way home. Glad I did it as it was the only way I was going to make that game because I wasn't going to drive up and back and I did need to be back early Saturday.


Religion morality and knowledge being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged.

So enter that daily thou mayest grow in knowledge wisdom and love. So depart that daily thou mayest better serve thy fellowmen thy country and thy God.

Back to Top
  
Valley Cat
General User



Member Since: 12/28/2004
Location: Jackson Twp., OH
Post Count: 813

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/13/2016 3:44:53 PM 
I'm also considering boarding the bus from Cleveland. Thanks for the info. A Christmas Eve return is my only hurdle.
Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,128

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/14/2016 8:46:38 PM 
Scott Woods wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
I can't believe I'm considering this... and only slightly at that, but...this insane bus trip... Has anyone taken the bus and can speak to the overall experience/amenities? Does anyone know if the buses have wifi (like megabus)? power outlets? Is beer allowed? Is the included hotel cost assuming 2/room?


I can only comment on the recent bus trip to the MACC game. They were Lakefront buses. They had no power outlets, but they did have wifi and it was OK at times. We were given almost no information about the trip before hand. I called and didn't get much help. After we boarded the bus, we got some information on stops, etc. and that no alcohol was allowed. However, people did have it and it wasn't stopped/discouraged in any way that I could see. It was decent as far as buses go and I was able to get *some* sleep on the way home. Glad I did it as it was the only way I was going to make that game because I wasn't going to drive up and back and I did need to be back early Saturday.


This sounds similar to the student bus trip to the New Orleans Bowl. It was almost impossible to sleep on the bus. It was frustrating because it took forever with the bus stopping every couple hours, and every stop took way too long because everyone from several buses gets off and uses the bathroom somewhere. Then there were driver changes, which sometimes resulted in more waiting. There were grad students who were "in charge" and they had to tell everyone that alcohol was not allowed, but after a while, no one even tried to hide that they had it. There were TVs throughout, and various movies were shown according to what was brought. If I had been 20 like most people on the bus instead of 28 at the time, it probably wouldn't been quite as bad. Not sure if this would be the same or if there would be separate buses for adults and students.
Back to Top
  
D.A.
General User

Member Since: 8/6/2010
Location: Rockport, MA
Post Count: 1,113

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/15/2016 5:36:29 PM 
This loser and his loser wife are attending this loser of a bowl game despite the fact that the bowl is beneath both us and my illustrious alma mater, with its rich and storied history of top notch bowl appearances.

Wanna tailgate with some losers like us, drop me a PM. We'll try not to disappoint you all with our spread, which we will make sure is catered by only the most posh of establishments with artisanal cheeses, top shelf liquor, finest craft beers and wines that are rated 95+ by Wine Enthusiast, so that we can meet your expectations.


The Few, The Proud, The Bobcats!

And for the record, I hate tOSU, and Ricordati and Torgerson are DB's.

"This isn't just another walkover from the MAC."  Kirk Herbstreit, another DB, on College Football Gameday

Back to Top
  
mcbin
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: columbus, OH
Post Count: 931

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/15/2016 6:28:30 PM 
MobileBama wrote:
Welcome back to Mobile Bobcats. Terrible date but it is what it is.

Ben do you remember the crawfish boil? Hope your travels are less adventurous this year. Let me know if you or anyone wants to grab some beers while in town.


I remember the crawfish boil well and hope I can find another one in the short time we're down there again this time. And no travel adventures this time around! I will look you up for sure for beers.
Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,125

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/16/2016 4:57:01 PM 
As a former bus rider, if you're looking to throw down in Bama I'd recommend it. Definitely fun and a great way to get to know folks. The rates are good and hopefully having alums on the bus makes it fun.

Would encourage you to split your buses at your first stop to make sure if people are looking to partake in adult beverages that they are on one bus. The St. Pete buses were notoriously rowdy and was probably the craziest trip in my life that I've been on. It was Animal House on wheels I will admit, no thanks to our student body president who just had to make it a headline piece of news...... ;)
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 4,852

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/16/2016 8:07:07 PM 
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
As a former bus rider, if you're looking to throw down in Bama I'd recommend it. Definitely fun and a great way to get to know folks. The rates are good and hopefully having alums on the bus makes it fun.

Would encourage you to split your buses at your first stop to make sure if people are looking to partake in adult beverages that they are on one bus. The St. Pete buses were notoriously rowdy and was probably the craziest trip in my life that I've been on. It was Animal House on wheels I will admit, no thanks to our student body president who just had to make it a headline piece of news...... ;)


I'm sure just what the college students would want a bunch of middle aged folks riding the bus with them and partying.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,420

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/16/2016 9:03:29 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
I'm sure just what the college students would want a bunch of middle aged folks riding the bus with them and partying.


Get off my bus!
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 4,852

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/17/2016 8:46:38 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
I'm sure just what the college students would want a bunch of middle aged folks riding the bus with them and partying.


Get off my bus!


;-D
Back to Top
  
MedinaCat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Lakewood, OH
Post Count: 703

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/19/2016 11:57:31 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
As a former bus rider, if you're looking to throw down in Bama I'd recommend it. Definitely fun and a great way to get to know folks. The rates are good and hopefully having alums on the bus makes it fun.

Would encourage you to split your buses at your first stop to make sure if people are looking to partake in adult beverages that they are on one bus. The St. Pete buses were notoriously rowdy and was probably the craziest trip in my life that I've been on. It was Animal House on wheels I will admit, no thanks to our student body president who just had to make it a headline piece of news...... ;)


I'm sure just what the college students would want a bunch of middle aged folks riding the bus with them and partying.


Sorry to break this to you, but if your not a millennial, you are an "old person." At least that is what I have gleaned from my 3 millennial children.

Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 4,886

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/19/2016 2:35:09 PM 
MedinaCat wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
As a former bus rider, if you're looking to throw down in Bama I'd recommend it. Definitely fun and a great way to get to know folks. The rates are good and hopefully having alums on the bus makes it fun.

Would encourage you to split your buses at your first stop to make sure if people are looking to partake in adult beverages that they are on one bus. The St. Pete buses were notoriously rowdy and was probably the craziest trip in my life that I've been on. It was Animal House on wheels I will admit, no thanks to our student body president who just had to make it a headline piece of news...... ;)


I'm sure just what the college students would want a bunch of middle aged folks riding the bus with them and partying.


Sorry to break this to you, but if your not a millennial, you are an "old person." At least that is what I have gleaned from my 3 millennial children.



I'm 32 and got called "old" by someone who was 24.


"Puppies, walks in the park, March wins; those are all my favorite things." - Saul Phillips

Back to Top
  
mf279801
General User

Member Since: 8/6/2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Post Count: 2,008

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/19/2016 3:10:16 PM 
GoCats105 wrote:
MedinaCat wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
As a former bus rider, if you're looking to throw down in Bama I'd recommend it. Definitely fun and a great way to get to know folks. The rates are good and hopefully having alums on the bus makes it fun.

Would encourage you to split your buses at your first stop to make sure if people are looking to partake in adult beverages that they are on one bus. The St. Pete buses were notoriously rowdy and was probably the craziest trip in my life that I've been on. It was Animal House on wheels I will admit, no thanks to our student body president who just had to make it a headline piece of news...... ;)


I'm sure just what the college students would want a bunch of middle aged folks riding the bus with them and partying.


Sorry to break this to you, but if your not a millennial, you are an "old person." At least that is what I have gleaned from my 3 millennial children.



I'm 32 and got called "old" by someone who was 24.



So...you're saying it was an accurate call-out?
Signed: 33 year old
Back to Top
  
MobileBama
General User

Member Since: 11/13/2006
Location: Mobile, AL
Post Count: 6

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Dollar General Bowl Game Travel Thread
   Posted: 12/20/2016 9:41:22 AM 
Bowl week weather looks pretty good:

Today: 59/41 Cloudy
Wednesday: 66/50 Sunny
Thursday: 67/42 Partly Cloudy
Friday: 66/53 Sunny
Saturday: 73/56 Sunny
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 32 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties