Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  Pac 12

Topic:  Pac 12
Author
Message
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,071

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Pac 12
   Posted: 8/11/2020 5:50:47 PM 
Lost in the news today is that the Pac-12 will not start basketball until after the new year. Will see how that picks up traction as well.
Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,525

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/12/2020 4:45:20 PM 
Is not a good optic for the non-conference portion of the future schedule. Either that or you're going to see high school basketball on steroids soon with 3 games a week and potentially going Friday/Saturday to squeeze in games.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,119

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/12/2020 6:19:57 PM 
cc-cat wrote:
Lost in the news today is that the Pac-12 will not start basketball until after the new year. Will see how that picks up traction as well.


This is what the Ivy League decided a month ago.

Back to Top
  
.
General User

Member Since: 2/3/2005
Post Count: 2,558

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/15/2020 3:30:58 PM 
I think it hurts basketball less from a fan standpoint than starting football late. A lot of people donít start paying attention to basketball until conference play.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,053

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/15/2020 9:41:45 PM 
Interesting bubble concept being pushed for OOC games by Houston's coach: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/2... .

Under this concept, the host team would invite one team from its conference and two teams from each of nine other conferences, for a total of 20 teams. Then, the teams would be split into two ten-team divisions consisting of one team from each conference. Each team would play up to eight OOC games. All games would be played at the host school during the first three weeks of December. Some accommodation may have to be made for schools with finals in December, but given the NBA's and NHL's success with the bubble concept, it may be doable.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,451

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/15/2020 10:44:23 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
Interesting bubble concept being pushed for OOC games by Houston's coach: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/2... .

Under this concept, the host team would invite one team from its conference and two teams from each of nine other conferences, for a total of 20 teams. Then, the teams would be split into two ten-team divisions consisting of one team from each conference. Each team would play up to eight OOC games. All games would be played at the host school during the first three weeks of December. Some accommodation may have to be made for schools with finals in December, but given the NBA's and NHL's success with the bubble concept, it may be doable.


You have any idea what it cost to House an entire program and feed them? This is stupid silly in the world of non profit education.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,053

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/16/2020 12:23:19 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Interesting bubble concept being pushed for OOC games by Houston's coach: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/2... .

Under this concept, the host team would invite one team from its conference and two teams from each of nine other conferences, for a total of 20 teams. Then, the teams would be split into two ten-team divisions consisting of one team from each conference. Each team would play up to eight OOC games. All games would be played at the host school during the first three weeks of December. Some accommodation may have to be made for schools with finals in December, but given the NBA's and NHL's success with the bubble concept, it may be doable.


You have any idea what it cost to House an entire program and feed them? This is stupid silly in the world of non profit education.


How much did it cost to send our team to St Bonnie, Iona, Villanova, and Myrtle Beach (four or five days) last year? Or to Jamaica (three to five days), Xavier, Detroit and Purdue the year before?

Remember, a team would be taking a bus or plane to and back just once, so transportation costs would be less than a regular OOC schedule. Host schools likely would provide some dorm rooms and some meals. I'm not saying this would work for all schools, but it could work for some.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,525

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/17/2020 9:55:21 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Interesting bubble concept being pushed for OOC games by Houston's coach: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/2... .

Under this concept, the host team would invite one team from its conference and two teams from each of nine other conferences, for a total of 20 teams. Then, the teams would be split into two ten-team divisions consisting of one team from each conference. Each team would play up to eight OOC games. All games would be played at the host school during the first three weeks of December. Some accommodation may have to be made for schools with finals in December, but given the NBA's and NHL's success with the bubble concept, it may be doable.


You have any idea what it cost to House an entire program and feed them? This is stupid silly in the world of non profit education.


Depends on how you work the angle. If you can get buy-in from a local city along with ESPN or some cable company to cover the events, it makes a venture potentially worthwhile.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,451

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/17/2020 10:09:04 PM 
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Interesting bubble concept being pushed for OOC games by Houston's coach: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/2... .

Under this concept, the host team would invite one team from its conference and two teams from each of nine other conferences, for a total of 20 teams. Then, the teams would be split into two ten-team divisions consisting of one team from each conference. Each team would play up to eight OOC games. All games would be played at the host school during the first three weeks of December. Some accommodation may have to be made for schools with finals in December, but given the NBA's and NHL's success with the bubble concept, it may be doable.


You have any idea what it cost to House an entire program and feed them? This is stupid silly in the world of non profit education.


Depends on how you work the angle. If you can get buy-in from a local city along with ESPN or some cable company to cover the events, it makes a venture potentially worthwhile.


Good luck with that.
Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,525

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/18/2020 10:33:11 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Interesting bubble concept being pushed for OOC games by Houston's coach: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/2... .

Under this concept, the host team would invite one team from its conference and two teams from each of nine other conferences, for a total of 20 teams. Then, the teams would be split into two ten-team divisions consisting of one team from each conference. Each team would play up to eight OOC games. All games would be played at the host school during the first three weeks of December. Some accommodation may have to be made for schools with finals in December, but given the NBA's and NHL's success with the bubble concept, it may be doable.


You have any idea what it cost to House an entire program and feed them? This is stupid silly in the world of non profit education.


Depends on how you work the angle. If you can get buy-in from a local city along with ESPN or some cable company to cover the events, it makes a venture potentially worthwhile.


Good luck with that.


Actually am trying right now up this way to work with a few schools to host one in Toledo for over X-Mas break. Probably won't happen, but it's a good exercise since our business is slow until next June tbh.
Back to Top
  
SVAC83
General User

Member Since: 10/1/2019
Post Count: 27

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/18/2020 8:17:11 PM 
actually some company that has two of the big preseason conference tourneys is pushing this idea. if his early season tourneys gets cancelled. i would also think that this may be the way you see basketball league play be. i could very easily see a plan where basketball teams go in to a bubble on there campus for 3 days. then go to a school sight like ohio u. when they get there practice a day you would put like 6 teams at sight and every team would play like 4 or 5 games in like a 8 day period. do this 2 or 3 three times and your league season would be done.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,053

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/18/2020 8:56:08 PM 
Last week Mark Emmert raised the possibility that March Madness will be played in one or more bubbles. That would likely kill the First Four games at Dayton and maybe the eight first/second round sites. It seems likely they would try for 16-18 teams at each regional site, with games played over a week or 10-day period. It would be easier logistically to have bubbles in just the four regional cities (Denver, Minneapolis, Brooklyn and Memphis).

Also, the NCAA is looking to have a decision in mid-September regarding the start of the 20-21 season. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-08-...


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,771

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/19/2020 7:09:06 AM 
Pataskala wrote:

It would be easier logistically to have bubbles in just the four regional cities (Denver, Minneapolis, Brooklyn and Memphis).


Given the number of shootings/murders in NYC this year,any "bubbles" better
be "bullet proof".

Back to Top
  
Joe McKinley
General User



Member Since: 11/15/2004
Post Count: 442

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/19/2020 12:17:22 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
Last week Mark Emmert raised the possibility that March Madness will be played in one or more bubbles. That would likely kill the First Four games at Dayton and maybe the eight first/second round sites. It seems likely they would try for 16-18 teams at each regional site, with games played over a week or 10-day period. It would be easier logistically to have bubbles in just the four regional cities (Denver, Minneapolis, Brooklyn and Memphis).

Also, the NCAA is looking to have a decision in mid-September regarding the start of the 20-21 season. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-08-...


I think this is the most likely scenario based on what we know now and when decisions need to be made in order to be able to host a safe tournament.

What do you think about a one-year expansion of number of teams? I can see a 96 team tournament without an NIT. That would allow four pods of 24 teams each. Top eight in each pod would have a bye. The remaining 16 teams play a round with winners advancing. Assuming there are no conference tournaments, the auto bid goes to the regular season winner and a committee selects the rest of the teams.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,053

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Pac 12
   Posted: 8/19/2020 8:57:29 PM 
Joe McKinley wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Last week Mark Emmert raised the possibility that March Madness will be played in one or more bubbles. That would likely kill the First Four games at Dayton and maybe the eight first/second round sites. It seems likely they would try for 16-18 teams at each regional site, with games played over a week or 10-day period. It would be easier logistically to have bubbles in just the four regional cities (Denver, Minneapolis, Brooklyn and Memphis).

Also, the NCAA is looking to have a decision in mid-September regarding the start of the 20-21 season. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-08-...


I think this is the most likely scenario based on what we know now and when decisions need to be made in order to be able to host a safe tournament.

What do you think about a one-year expansion of number of teams? I can see a 96 team tournament without an NIT. That would allow four pods of 24 teams each. Top eight in each pod would have a bye. The remaining 16 teams play a round with winners advancing. Assuming there are no conference tournaments, the auto bid goes to the regular season winner and a committee selects the rest of the teams.


That seems to be a lot of teams for a bubble. Instead, they more likely would try to placate some of the first/second round sites, and maybe Dayton, by having an NIT with two pods of 16 or four pods of eight, with the final four playing in NYC.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 15  of 15 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties