Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Olympic Sports/Other Sports
Topic:  Akron's Mens Soccer

Topic:  Akron's Mens Soccer
Author
Message
BOB&BEARCAT
General User

Member Since: 1/28/2006
Location: CINCINNATI, OH
Post Count: 112

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/12/2015 12:19:59 AM 
Akron's Mens Soccer team lost in the 10th round of PK'S in the Naional Smifinals. No Goals in the First 120 Minutes. Great achievement for a MAC
Team.
Back to Top
  
OhioStunter
General User



Member Since: 2/18/2005
Location: Chicago
Post Count: 2,516

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/12/2015 1:10:22 AM 
I watched the final 8 minutes of regulation, the two OTs and the 10-round shootout. That was a tough loss for Akron.
Back to Top
  
BOB&BEARCAT
General User

Member Since: 1/28/2006
Location: CINCINNATI, OH
Post Count: 112

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/12/2015 6:52:48 AM 
They need a better way to determine a winner rather than the PK system.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Mac
General User

Member Since: 2/3/2012
Location: Centerville, OH
Post Count: 140

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/12/2015 8:44:07 AM 
Did Ohio ever have a men's soccer team that competed at Div.1? I remember reading one of their forums and some had stated they would of traded the 2010 National title for a SWEET SIXTEEN run in basketball!
Back to Top
  
Ohio69
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,747

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/12/2015 12:58:09 PM 
BOB&BEARCAT wrote:
They need a better way to determine a winner rather than the PK system.


Why not just keep playing until someone scores?




Can somebody hit a pull up jumper for me?.....

Back to Top
  
oldkatz
General User

Member Since: 12/22/2004
Post Count: 1,187

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/12/2015 2:20:44 PM 
Bobcat Mac wrote:
Did Ohio ever have a men's soccer team that competed at Div.1? I remember reading one of their forums and some had stated they would of traded the 2010 National title for a SWEET SIXTEEN run in basketball!


Yep. Hosted an NCAA round at Peden in the 70's. Bob Bradley was the last coach of the program which was downgraded to club in the very early 80's.


"All my inside sources tell me I have no inside sources." Salvatore "money bucks" Mafiosiano.

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/12/2015 5:33:54 PM 
Akron has a proud tradition in this sport, having won the national championship in 2010:

http://akron.com/akron-ohio-sports-news.asp?aID=11111


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Robert Fox
General User

Member Since: 11/16/2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Post Count: 1,983

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/12/2015 6:33:57 PM 
Ohio69 wrote:
BOB&BEARCAT wrote:
They need a better way to determine a winner rather than the PK system.


Why not just keep playing until someone scores?





Probably because of game length. At the end of regulation and double overtime periods, the teams have been on the field for no less than 110 minutes--probably more like 115 minutes. That's straight through playing with the exception of a 15 minute half time.
Back to Top
  
Only one OHIO
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Avon, OH
Post Count: 135

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/13/2015 8:39:09 PM 
I'm not a fan of Akron basketball but was definitely rooting for them here. I watched the OT and penalty kicks. Yeah there has got to be a better way then penalty kicks to settle a tie.
Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,435

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/13/2015 9:38:16 PM 
Hockey reduces the number of players on the ice to make scoring more likely in overtime.
Back to Top
  
Robert Fox
General User

Member Since: 11/16/2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Post Count: 1,983

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/14/2015 8:31:14 AM 
UpSan Bobcat wrote:
Hockey reduces the number of players on the ice to make scoring more likely in overtime.


I like that idea. No clue why it's not being done for soccer.
Back to Top
  
OhioStunter
General User



Member Since: 2/18/2005
Location: Chicago
Post Count: 2,516

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/14/2015 6:47:53 PM 
Robert Fox wrote:
UpSan Bobcat wrote:
Hockey reduces the number of players on the ice to make scoring more likely in overtime.


I like that idea. No clue why it's not being done for soccer.


In broomball at Bird Arena, the OT rule was there were no goalies.

Back to Top
  
Robert Fox
General User

Member Since: 11/16/2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Post Count: 1,983

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/15/2015 8:12:08 AM 
OhioStunter wrote:
Robert Fox wrote:
UpSan Bobcat wrote:
Hockey reduces the number of players on the ice to make scoring more likely in overtime.


I like that idea. No clue why it's not being done for soccer.


In broomball at Bird Arena, the OT rule was there were no goalies.



Don't think I would support that idea. Your goal keeper may be your strongest asset on a team. To remove that player would/could totally change your team dynamic.
Back to Top
  
Bobcatbob
General User



Member Since: 12/21/2004
Location: Coolville, OH
Post Count: 1,292

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/15/2015 8:18:53 AM 
Robert Fox wrote:


Don't think I would support that idea. Your goal keeper may be your strongest asset on a team. To remove that player would/could totally change your team dynamic.


And penalty kicks don't? My impression of the penalty kick / hockey shoot-out scenario is that is the most unfair and the most demeaning to the goalies; the people generally responsible for saving your a%$ during regulation in the first place.
Back to Top
  
Robert Fox
General User

Member Since: 11/16/2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Post Count: 1,983

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/15/2015 8:37:19 AM 
Bobcatbob wrote:
Robert Fox wrote:


Don't think I would support that idea. Your goal keeper may be your strongest asset on a team. To remove that player would/could totally change your team dynamic.


And penalty kicks don't? My impression of the penalty kick / hockey shoot-out scenario is that is the most unfair and the most demeaning to the goalies; the people generally responsible for saving your a%$ during regulation in the first place.


I didn't say PKs don't. In fact, I'm supporting the idea of doing away with PKs.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,898

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/18/2015 6:31:44 PM 
How about, in overtime, take one player per team off the field every 5 minutes. Start 11 v. 11, then go 10 v. 10 after 5 minutes, 9 v. 9 5 minutes later, etc. . .? Sudden death, perhaps.
Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 3,661

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/19/2015 10:26:19 AM 
...or scatter a series of landmines on the field...
Back to Top
  
Robert Fox
General User

Member Since: 11/16/2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Post Count: 1,983

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Akron's Mens Soccer
   Posted: 12/21/2015 8:56:14 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
How about, in overtime, take one player per team off the field every 5 minutes. Start 11 v. 11, then go 10 v. 10 after 5 minutes, 9 v. 9 5 minutes later, etc. . .? Sudden death, perhaps.


I might support this idea too. Most anything is better than PKs.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 18  of 18 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'Ohio Olympic Sports/Other Sports' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties