Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  RE: Youth Sports

Topic:  RE: Youth Sports
Author
Message
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,583

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Youth Sports
   Posted: 8/7/2019 6:19:15 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:

In fact, Iím writing this after running up and down the basketball court for about an hour and half.


So that would have been once in each direction ? :-)

(Sorry,couldn't resist)

Back to Top
  
Buck.Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2017
Post Count: 365

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Youth Sports
   Posted: 8/7/2019 9:30:41 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
I implied that the parents were turning them into snowflakes by their helicopter parenting. Thatís quite clear if you read what I wrote in context.


This is not what you were inferring at all. You literally wrote "These poor snowflakes can't walk a few houses down the street on their own". You are putting down CHILDREN.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,049

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Youth Sports
   Posted: 8/7/2019 11:10:57 AM 
Buck.Cat wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
I implied that the parents were turning them into snowflakes by their helicopter parenting. Thatís quite clear if you read what I wrote in context.


This is not what you were inferring at all. You literally wrote "These poor snowflakes can't walk a few houses down the street on their own". You are putting down CHILDREN.


+1
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,613

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Youth Sports
   Posted: 8/7/2019 11:12:14 AM 
Buck.Cat wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
I implied that the parents were turning them into snowflakes by their helicopter parenting. Thatís quite clear if you read what I wrote in context.


This is not what you were inferring at all. You literally wrote "These poor snowflakes can't walk a few houses down the street on their own". You are putting down CHILDREN.


But, you have to read how I introduced the statement to get the context: "Yes, helicopter parenting is a real societal problem these days. One small example:..."

You seem good at taking quotes out of context. I'm not the only one you've done that to.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,613

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Youth Sports
   Posted: 8/7/2019 11:18:06 AM 
rpbobcat wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:

In fact, Iím writing this after running up and down the basketball court for about an hour and half.


So that would have been once in each direction ? :-)

(Sorry,couldn't resist)



Ha-ha! Actually, I have no problem running up and down the court. My problem is knowing what to do with the basketball on the rare occasion that a teammate passes it to me.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Ohio69
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,747

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Youth Sports
   Posted: 8/8/2019 11:05:28 AM 

I recently heard Athens Middle School didn't get enough interest to field a girl's soccer team.

It is amazing how rarely I see children outside in my Athens neighborhood, which is filled with 9-12+ year old children. I kick my kids out of the house as much as possible. Normally there is only one other family's kids outside. I assume the rest are playing video games or at some sort of marathon club sport game-day somewhere.

Also, just a few weeks ago someone called the cops on two 9 year olds walking down the street (from one of their houses to the other) "unsupervised" in my neighborhood. Sigh.




Can somebody hit a pull up jumper for me?.....

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,782

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Youth Sports
   Posted: 8/8/2019 11:14:45 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
Sounds like the 50s and 60s in a spare neighborhood lot. Can't remember the last time I saw a bunch of kids playing pickup baseball or football.


And into the 70s on the neighborhood little league field. Very little evidence of this now.

However, I spent the weekend at a 12U baseball tournament in Warsaw, OH. The games were played on 3 fields that were part of a little community park, including a swimming pool, basketball/tennis courts, pavilion with band stage, shelter houses, etc.. Very old-school Americana. I had a nice conversation not unlike the topic on this thread with the tournament organizer and he told me that a day/night doesn't go by during the summer when the fields aren't being used by local kids for pickup games. Maybe because it's Amish country, maybe not. But what some of us did 40-60 years ago isn't entirely a thing of the past.

On a side note, the Newark team, which is made up of Rec League players, beat a travel team from East Holmes 2 times Sunday to take home the tournament championship.


Warsaw and the River View school district are a throwback to a bygone era. For over 40 years, they had one of the most competitive girls sports programs in the state. Our own Carolyn Mast was a graduate. They were the class of the MVL and sent many kids on to play college ball. Interestingly enough, that district also has armed teachers in their buildings. There's a pocket up in that part of the state where this is common.

Anyway, it was very clear in OCF's post that the helicoptering and bulldozing parents have turned these kids into "snowflakes." The drop off and pick up lines at schools have gotten out of control. I've seen lines as long as a quarter mile with some parents lining up 45 minutes early to be first in line or near the front.

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,583

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Youth Sports
   Posted: 8/8/2019 11:28:04 AM 
Alan Swank wrote:


Anyway, it was very clear in OCF's post that the helicoptering and bulldozing parents have turned these kids into "snowflakes." The drop off and pick up lines at schools have gotten out of control. I've seen lines as long as a quarter mile with some parents lining up 45 minutes early to be first in line or near the front.


Just got done designing a new a drop off "loop" for a K-8 school, to provide more room for cars to "stack".

The old one had cars stacking into the street,blocking traffic.

The parents didn't care.

To improve the stacking we had to move the drop off point to about 100' from
the school's front door.

Some parents actually complained that it was to far for the kids to walk.




Back to Top
  
Ohio69
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,747

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Youth Sports
   Posted: 8/8/2019 3:34:05 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:


Anyway, it was very clear in OCF's post that the helicoptering and bulldozing parents have turned these kids into "snowflakes." The drop off and pick up lines at schools have gotten out of control. I've seen lines as long as a quarter mile with some parents lining up 45 minutes early to be first in line or near the front.


Just got done designing a new a drop off "loop" for a K-8 school, to provide more room for cars to "stack".

The old one had cars stacking into the street,blocking traffic.

The parents didn't care.

To improve the stacking we had to move the drop off point to about 100' from
the school's front door.

Some parents actually complained that it was to far for the kids to walk.






100 feet! Man, they would not like the walk into the Convo... LOL....


Can somebody hit a pull up jumper for me?.....

Back to Top
  
Kevin Finnegan
General User

Member Since: 2/4/2005
Location: Rockton, IL
Post Count: 730

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Youth Sports
   Posted: 8/8/2019 4:54:20 PM 
I feel like this is on a slippery slope to a political deluge, which I don't want.

However, before we go bashing this youngest generation, let's realize that they have the lowest teenage birth rate in quite some time (https://www.cdc.gov/teenpregnancy/about/index.htm ), lowest teenage drug use (https://teens.drugabuse.gov/blog/post/teens-drug-use-lowe... ), and teenage violent crime is way, way down (https://www.childstats.gov/americaschildren/tables/beh5.asp ).

Maybe, these overbearing parents (and yes, I've got my own stories of parents coddling their children too much) have had some positive outcomes with their parenting styles.

For those crying ageism, that's a two way street. Can't complain about people bashing the older generation while taking potshots based on almost purely on anecdotal data at another generation.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,613

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Youth Sports
   Posted: 8/8/2019 7:03:22 PM 
finnOhio wrote:
I feel like this is on a slippery slope to a political deluge, which I don't want.

However, before we go bashing this youngest generation, let's realize that they have the lowest teenage birth rate in quite some time (https://www.cdc.gov/teenpregnancy/about/index.htm ), lowest teenage drug use (https://teens.drugabuse.gov/blog/post/teens-drug-use-lowe... ), and teenage violent crime is way, way down (https://www.childstats.gov/americaschildren/tables/beh5.asp ).

Maybe, these overbearing parents (and yes, I've got my own stories of parents coddling their children too much) have had some positive outcomes with their parenting styles.

For those crying ageism, that's a two way street. Can't complain about people bashing the older generation while taking potshots based on almost purely on anecdotal data at another generation.


The poster buck.cat has a long record of bashing folks because of "old age." He's done it to me and others. I wasn't saying everyone who disagrees with me is an ageist. I was saying he was. I made a comment here about parents treating their children in such a way that they become snowflakes, and buck.cat resorts to his usual attack on me as an old, out-of-touch man.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 36  of 36 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties