Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  Last possession

Topic:  Last possession
Author
Message
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: Akron (sleeper agent)
Post Count: 4,744

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Last possession
   Posted: 1/28/2020 9:57:22 PM 
Not ideal


I've seen crazier things happen.

Black 41 Flash Reverse

Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 3,661

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Last possession
   Posted: 1/28/2020 10:00:30 PM 
we got a wide open look for one of our best shooters. He missed. He swishes it and we're in OT. What more do you want. I'm sure NIU had something to do with how late that look was and they made us work for shots most of the night.

Personally I was thrilled to see a guy like German have only an average night against us. but we still didn't win.

Last Edited: 1/28/2020 10:01:16 PM by Deciduous Forest Cat

Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: Akron (sleeper agent)
Post Count: 4,744

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Last possession
   Posted: 1/28/2020 10:12:03 PM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
we got a wide open look for one of our best shooters. He missed. He swishes it and we're in OT. What more do you want. I'm sure NIU had something to do with how late that look was and they made us work for shots most of the night.

Personally I was thrilled to see a guy like German have only an average night against us. but we still didn't win.


Nothing ideal about a mid-range jumper with 4 seconds left on shot clock on a 17 second possession.

Let BVP drive or go for a 3. I doubt a mid-range jumper with no chance to foul if we miss is how we drew it up but that just means we didn't execute...


I've seen crazier things happen.

Black 41 Flash Reverse

Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 1,990

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Last possession
   Posted: 1/29/2020 7:42:28 AM 
This has been frustrating. You have the ball late with a chance to tie or win against UB and N. Illinois and your two best players (Preston and BVP) don't get a shot off. That can't happen the next time Ohio finds itself in this situation.


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
Eagle66
General User

Member Since: 3/13/2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Post Count: 1,009

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Last possession
   Posted: 1/29/2020 7:58:48 AM 
Watching it live, I thought NIU played good defense and took away the primary play. It looked to me like they were trying to get a baseline drive and a kick for 3 (probably for Dartis). When that didn't materialize, they took what they could get.

Full disclosure, I worked a long shift and was exhausted last night. So I might not be remembering everything 100% accurately this morning and be totally full of crap haha
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,280

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Last possession
   Posted: 1/29/2020 8:07:02 AM 
They clearly had a play drawn up for a baseline pass to Dartis, but they sniffed it out very well and he had no chance to fire. After that it got confused and messy, but I agree with DFC...the end result was a wide open extremely make-able look by what should be a very capable shooter.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 1,819

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Last possession
   Posted: 1/29/2020 8:09:09 AM 
Eagle66 wrote:
Watching it live, I thought NIU played good defense and took away the primary play. It looked to me like they were trying to get a baseline drive and a kick for 3 (probably for Dartis). When that didn't materialize, they took what they could get.

Full disclosure, I worked a long shift and was exhausted last night. So I might not be remembering everything 100% accurately this morning and be totally full of crap haha


I'm with you, I saw the same thing. The play was to hit Dartis in the corner for 3 and it wasn't there. I honestly was pleased with the shot they did get, a wide open and very makeable shot for a solid shooter. I would have been terrified to see the ball go to BVP anywhere near the rim knowing he was going to get mauled and sent to the line.
Back to Top
  
El Gato Roberto
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 708

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Last possession
   Posted: 1/29/2020 8:11:13 AM 
NIU is solid, defensively. They fiercely defended the arc all game. On the last play, although JPs drive to the baseline surprised them, they were ready to defend Jordan on the opposite side. Our guys should get credit as they improvised and found BRod an open look. Im going to give NIU credit for breaking down the play, but our team is going to need to learn how to finish, eventually. Its a work in progress and I continue to feel optimistic about the future. Go Cats!


"The name's Ohio University, but everybody calls me Ohio. Any of you guys call me Ohio U, and I'll kill you."

Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 6,340

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Last possession
   Posted: 1/29/2020 10:50:44 AM 

I watched the play a couple of times this morning. As others have pointed out, looks like they designed a skip pass to Dartis for a 3-pointer and the win. Dartis started to drive and could have had a shot or draw and drop to BVP but he stumbled going into the lane so he passed back to Preston. I thought Preston had a lane to the hoop (or again a drop to BVP as McCarty left him to give help on the drive) and should have taken the shot. I think Roderick was going in to crash the glass when Preston fired the pass at him. Still stroked the shot, just got back iron. 


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
El Gato Roberto
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 708

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Last possession
   Posted: 1/29/2020 11:51:28 AM 
Ted Thompson wrote:
I watched the play a couple of times this morning. As others have pointed out, looks like they designed a skip pass to Dartis for a 3-pointer and the win. Dartis started to drive and could have had a shot or draw and drop to BVP but he stumbled going into the lane so he passed back to Preston. I thought Preston had a lane to the hoop (or again a drop to BVP as McCarty left him to give help on the drive) and should have taken the shot. I think Roderick was going in to crash the glass when Preston fired the pass at him. Still stroked the shot, just got back iron.


Thanks, Ted. Yes. There was a bit of indecision, now that you describe the replay (I saw it once live). It is abundantly clear that they need to learn to make game-winning plays. Theyll figure it out.

Fun fact. In 2005 so took my then 8 year old son to the FIU/OU game (while on vacation in Florida). We lost that game in OT on a missed last-second shot (and miserable non-call). Last night my, now adult, son joined me again. We savored the irony of a similar finish. We also agree wed take a MAC Tourney run with a last-sec BVP tip-in (yeah he wears #5) and a trip to the dance. #Buffalosucks

OK. Had to share. Back to reality. Go Cats.


"The name's Ohio University, but everybody calls me Ohio. Any of you guys call me Ohio U, and I'll kill you."

Back to Top
  
OUcats82
General User



Member Since: 1/9/2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,575

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Last possession
   Posted: 1/29/2020 12:00:10 PM 
Does it feel like it has been forever since we beat NIU in hoops or football?


Ohio-The State University

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 11  of 11 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties