Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: The OZONE?

Topic:  RE: The OZONE?
Author
Message
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,432

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 7:04:00 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Just an observation not specific to OU, basketball, or sports in general. Gen Z seems a bit too inhibited and self-conscious to let loose.

Ruck said it better than I did. A big, energetic student presence is gold to an athletic department. In any business, if you're not able to generate new, loyal customers, you will die.


I'm gonna sound like an old man when I ask this, but how much of the "bit too inhibited and self-conscious to let loose" has to do with phones and cameras being everywhere, and the fear of embarrassing yourself, or potentially worse?

I did some dumb things I did at that age like everyone else. I'd like to think that with camera's everywhere, I would have been a little different.


I think this is a big part of the problem.

The key to the O Zone getting people engaged is making it fun again.

Students in organizations on campus today run a big risk of Jenny Hall-Jones sending them a cease-and-desist letter if they attempt to do anything other than sit in their seats and quietly take notes.


I sit right across from the Ozone, 6 rows up and on the aisle. When they used to do original stuff (not bounce, bounce, pass, pass), it was a hoot - a fine example of youthful exuberance and creativity. Then it got stale. Why? This is my opinion but when the powers that be in the athletic department who were extremely conservative began to "babysit" the group and set the rules, things went south. Combine that with a lackluster record on the court and it just died. With all due respect to a great Bobcat, they tried the DLo thing but that didn't register or resonate with the students. It was adults telling kids how to have a party. Give the game back to the kids and let's see what they come up with. Right now, the two guys standing and the old man are a reason not to get involved.



+1

That, and it turned into swearing at players. Creativity levels just went straight to the F word and that was it.

As I would said before, I would disband the O-Zone, and let kids figure out what they want to do with the space. If a cult group arises, so be it, just don't corporatize it. As I also said after the O-Zone debacle, it did no favors keeping the name, it should have been killed.

If we should be doing anything as a message board, perhaps getting them involved in the O-Zone section of the page and other threads might be a good idea for getting them involved in OU things. Just spitballing here
Back to Top
  
Bobcat2019
General User

Member Since: 9/4/2019
Post Count: 12

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 8:00:16 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Just an observation not specific to OU, basketball, or sports in general. Gen Z seems a bit too inhibited and self-conscious to let loose.

Ruck said it better than I did. A big, energetic student presence is gold to an athletic department. In any business, if you're not able to generate new, loyal customers, you will die.


I'm gonna sound like an old man when I ask this, but how much of the "bit too inhibited and self-conscious to let loose" has to do with phones and cameras being everywhere, and the fear of embarrassing yourself, or potentially worse?

I did some dumb things I did at that age like everyone else. I'd like to think that with camera's everywhere, I would have been a little different.


I think this is a big part of the problem.

The key to the O Zone getting people engaged is making it fun again.

Students in organizations on campus today run a big risk of Jenny Hall-Jones sending them a cease-and-desist letter if they attempt to do anything other than sit in their seats and quietly take notes.


I sit right across from the Ozone, 6 rows up and on the aisle. When they used to do original stuff (not bounce, bounce, pass, pass), it was a hoot - a fine example of youthful exuberance and creativity. Then it got stale. Why? This is my opinion but when the powers that be in the athletic department who were extremely conservative began to "babysit" the group and set the rules, things went south. Combine that with a lackluster record on the court and it just died. With all due respect to a great Bobcat, they tried the DLo thing but that didn't register or resonate with the students. It was adults telling kids how to have a party. Give the game back to the kids and let's see what they come up with. Right now, the two guys standing and the old man are a reason not to get involved.



Well that was a little harsh but your opinion is your opinion.
Back to Top
  
GroverBall
General User

Member Since: 12/3/2012
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 837

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 8:26:21 PM 
I respectfully disagree with Alan and would encourage anyone in the student section to stand to support the Bobcats. If people don't want to sit behind people who are standing there are PLENTY of other places to sit. Students who want to stand and want to enjoy the game their way in the section that has supported that behavior since as long as I can remember should be encouraged to do so. While I will always enjoy games in the Convo, I agree with others on this thread that the game experience is enhanced by a raucous, engaged crowd led by a student section that lets the opposing team, and fans watching elsewhere on devices, know that they care about the outcome of the game. I also think that such an atmosphere must help recruiting. Personally I think that the last thing we need is the discouragement of fans that are working to enhance the game atmosphere. 2019, keep it up.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,895

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 8:39:26 PM 
I've always thought there are few things better than the under 4 minute time out in a late, close game in front of packed Convo crowd as the 110 plays Long Train Running with trombone players dancing on the court. Seems like just last year although I'm sure it's been closer to 10-plus years since Bobcat fans last experienced this.

Even Alan has to agree, no?
Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 4,887

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 8:48:38 PM 
The athletic dept could learn a few things about game atmosphere, music, etc, by attending a few Ohio hockey games and taking notes.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 10:26:39 PM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
I've always thought there are few things better than the under 4 minute time out in a late, close game in front of packed Convo crowd as the 110 plays Long Train Running with trombone players dancing on the court. Seems like just last year although I'm sure it's been closer to 10-plus years since Bobcat fans last experienced this.

Even Alan has to agree, no?


Agreed 100% but now Stand Up and Cheer (sometimes), has been moved from the 8:00 time out to the 4:00. As for fans watching on TV, because of camera placement, what they see is a half empty courtside platinum and first level gold section not the student section. No one is discourging anyone from standing. It just looks funny when only two students and a guy older than me are doing so. B to B has it right, let the student section reinvent itself organically. If that won't work, perhaps the original student cheering section, the Crazy Cats, can make a guest appearance. They'll want a senior discount on tickets though.
Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: Akron (sleeper agent)
Post Count: 4,744

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 10:46:02 PM 
I'd support playing Long Train Running at the 8 and the 4. Leave the promotions for earlier in the game.

Going along with what others in the thread have said, stadium atmosphere is EVERYTHING.


I've seen crazier things happen.

Black 41 Flash Reverse

Back to Top
  
GroverBall
General User

Member Since: 12/3/2012
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 837

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 11:11:37 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
bobcatsquared wrote:
I've always thought there are few things better than the under 4 minute time out in a late, close game in front of packed Convo crowd as the 110 plays Long Train Running with trombone players dancing on the court. Seems like just last year although I'm sure it's been closer to 10-plus years since Bobcat fans last experienced this.

Even Alan has to agree, no?


No one is discourging anyone from standing.


Don't you think your comments below might discourage someone from standing?

"Right now, the two guys standing and the old man are a reason not to get involved."


"I don't get the whole standing thing. If you are the only guy in section standing, sit down. Stand for great plays and when the energy is high in the arena but not like that old guy or the guy with the virginity shirt the other night. They looked like fools."



Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 1,819

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/23/2020 7:58:29 AM 
Bobcat2019, I praise your efforts and wish we had more with your enthusiasm down there in the student section. Keep at it.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/23/2020 8:20:32 AM 
GroverBall wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
bobcatsquared wrote:
I've always thought there are few things better than the under 4 minute time out in a late, close game in front of packed Convo crowd as the 110 plays Long Train Running with trombone players dancing on the court. Seems like just last year although I'm sure it's been closer to 10-plus years since Bobcat fans last experienced this.

Even Alan has to agree, no?


No one is discourging anyone from standing.


Don't you think your comments below might discourage someone from standing?

"Right now, the two guys standing and the old man are a reason not to get involved."


"I don't get the whole standing thing. If you are the only guy in section standing, sit down. Stand for great plays and when the energy is high in the arena but not like that old guy or the guy with the virginity shirt the other night. They looked like fools."





Not at all. We go to lots and I mean lots of concerts. I've heard bands say that they feed off of the energy of the crowd. It's been said here that teams feed off of the energy of the fans. I get that. If I'm at an Eagles concert, there are times to stand and there are times to sit. You sit during Deparado but everyone in the house is on their feet when Joe Walsh plays the first few notes of Rocky Mountain Way which has become an Eagles song for many. Pick a group and you'll come up with a similar scenario. Applying that to basketball, every trip down the floor doesn't necessitate standing. Great plays do. A great comeback does.

Full disclosure. I'm 6'5" and I'm very cognizant of the fact that when I stand, people behind me can't see including some who are standing so I limit my standing to great plays or what I would call an "appropriate time."

Back to Top
  
CatsUp
General User

Member Since: 4/15/2019
Post Count: 185

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/23/2020 9:50:25 AM 
Why not designate (with signs) the student section, or a major part of it in case not all students want to stand, "Student Section/Standing Friendly Zone". Then there won't be any surprises for people who sit there for whatever reason. I believe being close to the action and having some extra freedom at the games is a perk for being a student.

No offense intended to anyone but to have a comparable vantage point (not my case by the way-I'm a little above that) on the other side, Ohio Athletics requires more money. Granted there might be other advantages (more comfortable than bleacher seats, Rohr Room access, etc.) but the view and actual game experience is similar. Consequently, I don't think those who do not pay the premium should necessarily be "entitled" to sit in the student section or the bleachers on the west side for that matter. Quite frankly, if one finds themselves in the designated area and don't like students standing, I think they should move. For those students who are tall and want to stand, they should move to the back rows of the section. If I'm not mistaken that would be right in front of the concourse and standing would be a non-issue there.

For not very well attended December games, I do think more leniency about the bleachers is certainly reasonable.

Otherwise, in other areas of the arena, I agree about there being appropriate times to stand in order to be generally courteous to your neighbors in the stands. But, even then, I think "that envelope should be pushed" to some extent when standing is in response to some aspect of the game.

Perhaps I have misinterpreted some details here but this is the way I feel about the situation.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,895

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/23/2020 10:11:00 AM 
Alan Swank wrote:
If that won't work, perhaps the original student cheering section, the Crazy Cats, can make a guest appearance. They'll want a senior discount on tickets though.


A small fraction of the original Crazy Cats will be in attendance this Saturday. Not quite yet eligible for senior discounts.
Back to Top
  
KyleWvr13
General User



Member Since: 11/9/2010
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 376

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/23/2020 1:48:38 PM 
So hypothetically speaking, if someone were to sit accross the O-ZONE and bring a poster board with a message reading "O-ZONE IS LAZY, PROVE ME WRONG!", would that horrifically backfire or get some students agitated enough to actually make some noise, or get in trouble with the administration?

Probably the latter...
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,447

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/23/2020 1:59:22 PM 
KyleWvr13 wrote:
So hypothetically speaking, if someone were to sit accross the O-ZONE and bring a poster board with a message reading "O-ZONE IS LAZY, PROVE ME WRONG!", would that horrifically backfire or get some students agitated enough to actually make some noise, or get in trouble with the administration?

Probably the latter...


It probably would backfire, but I love this idea. You could even use the "Change My Mind" Meme for this. A big poster of it.
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,280

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/23/2020 2:06:46 PM 
I would take it a step further and make the sign says "THE OZONE IS DEAD. PROVE ME WRONG."


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
boydhallbobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 232

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/23/2020 2:12:23 PM 
It would be cool if someone would take charge and get shirts made. That would be a start. Even if they don't cheer, at least look like a student section. This might build a bond. Start with 50 shirts. Sell them at a home game for $5 or whatever to the first 50 that bring their student ID. Maybe block of a section specifically for those that have shirts? Is that possible? If that takes off, maybe purchase 50 more and block another section of the bleachers off...
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/23/2020 2:16:38 PM 
boydhallbobcat wrote:
It would be cool if someone would take charge and get shirts made. That would be a start. Even if they don't cheer, at least look like a student section. This might build a bond. Start with 50 shirts. Sell them at a home game for $5 or whatever to the first 50 that bring their student ID. Maybe block of a section specifically for those that have shirts? Is that possible? If that takes off, maybe purchase 50 more and block another section of the bleachers off...


That's essentially what the effort was the last two times. Not sure why it didn't take off other than it was run by the adults in the room versus an orgnic student initiative. Considering the band investigateion is still ongoing, I can see where the earlier post about being afraind of getting busted/doing something wrong might be very valid.

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,396

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/23/2020 2:24:25 PM 
Can anyone confirm if the O Zone is still a student organization, complete with a student-run leadership board?
Back to Top
  
Bobcat2019
General User

Member Since: 9/4/2019
Post Count: 12

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/23/2020 2:32:38 PM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
I would take it a step further and make the sign says "THE OZONE IS DEAD. PROVE ME WRONG."


Yeah.... Iíve thought about doing this a lot.... probably wouldnít be the smartest move though
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,396

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/23/2020 2:52:15 PM 
Bobcat2019 wrote:
Andrew Ruck wrote:
I would take it a step further and make the sign says "THE OZONE IS DEAD. PROVE ME WRONG."


Yeah.... Iíve thought about doing this a lot.... probably wouldnít be the smartest move though


Not from you, at least.
Back to Top
  
Pete Chouteau
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2004
Location: Northeast Middling Amalgamation
Post Count: 1,422

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/23/2020 9:01:07 PM 
Somebody needs to go rogue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrrrrgh-Pirate-Bobcat-Jolly-Rog...
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/24/2020 10:22:12 AM 
shabamon wrote:
Can anyone confirm if the O Zone is still a student organization, complete with a student-run leadership board?


It is not and has not been for a few years.

Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 708

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/24/2020 12:31:34 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Can anyone confirm if the O Zone is still a student organization, complete with a student-run leadership board?


It is not and has not been for a few years.



Well there's your problem.

I agree it has to be something which organically comes from the students. It can't be something the "adults" force on them - even if that's coming from the athletic department.

But it also won't take off unless it has some formal leadership and organization to it, so they can work WITH the athletic department and come up with a real vision, strategy, goals - complete with scheduled meetings, tracking attendance, BUDGETS etc.

Start with the organic/fun/cool part then add some structure to allow it to be implemented and care and feeding and watch it grow.

I think the hardest part is going to be the first part. Finding 5-6 kids who are interested in starting a group is one thing. Finding the first 30-50 students who are both a) interested enough and b) find it cool enough to follow a mid-tier mid-major before March is going to be really REALLY tough unless said students think up something creative. Here's to hoping.

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,396

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/24/2020 12:43:49 PM 
GraffZ06 wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Can anyone confirm if the O Zone is still a student organization, complete with a student-run leadership board?


It is not and has not been for a few years.



Well there's your problem.

I agree it has to be something which organically comes from the students. It can't be something the "adults" force on them - even if that's coming from the athletic department.

But it also won't take off unless it has some formal leadership and organization to it, so they can work WITH the athletic department and come up with a real vision, strategy, goals - complete with scheduled meetings, tracking attendance, BUDGETS etc.

Start with the organic/fun/cool part then add some structure to allow it to be implemented and care and feeding and watch it grow.

I think the hardest part is going to be the first part. Finding 5-6 kids who are interested in starting a group is one thing. Finding the first 30-50 students who are both a) interested enough and b) find it cool enough to follow a mid-tier mid-major before March is going to be really REALLY tough unless said students think up something creative. Here's to hoping.



Bobcat2019, I don't know what year you are, but if you're serious about revitalizing the section, I would encourage you to explore this path for next year. Students need to lead the direction of the O Zone and the athletics department needs to listen to and facilitate your ideas, not the other way around. This is how things used to work in the heyday.
Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 721

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/26/2020 2:16:18 AM 
shabamon wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass by why does it matter if they sit or stand or come or not and why do grown adult males care anyway? I went to the game, enjoyed watching it, got excited a few times when we made great plays, commented when the other team made some great ones, stayed to the end and as Annie sang, "the sun will come up tomorrow."


A big loud crowd led by the students is part of the total entertainment package. It's not just about the game on the floor. Not that us old folks are owed that, but as a former front and center O Zoner myself, I know just how fun college basketball can be if you let your inhibitions go a little bit, and I find it a bit disappointing that kids today don't look at things the same way.



The students at Texas Tech were crazy at their game tonight. Guess it just depends on how much is at stake. They were playing Kentucky.

Check out the 1:15 mark of these highlights...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiowEKq-QoQ
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 50  of 92 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties