Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  The OZONE?

Topic:  The OZONE?
Author
Message
boydhallbobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 232

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 7:30:22 AM 
Seemed like there was a decent crowd last night, but do they get excited about anything? I know we lost last night, but there were several comeback runs that should have got them on their feet and...nothing! Frustrating. I know some of you will say "Put a winner on the floor and they'll come"...That's probably true, but dang..Show a little passion. It's sad when a 70 year old man is the most rowdy person in the section.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,396

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 8:41:08 AM 
There's nothing lamer in college sports than a student section that sits.

Unfortunately, I think kids today have become too cool for this kind of thing, unless you win at a high, nationally relevant level. It might not be enough to be a watchable, still entertaining 20 win, conference semis, CBI team to get students excited.
Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 708

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 9:05:29 AM 
shabamon wrote:
There's nothing lamer in college sports than a student section that sits.

Unfortunately, I think kids today have become too cool for this kind of thing, unless you win at a high, nationally relevant level. It might not be enough to be a watchable, still entertaining 20 win, conference semis, CBI team to get students excited.


Agree with everything you stated.

Pssst...welcome to the only thing that matters is March (because those are nationally broadcast games against high, nationally relevant teams) club.

I'd bet $100 you couldn't find 100 students at OU who even know what the CBI is. Is that like, an alternative to CBD, but for beer?

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 9:51:27 AM 
Not trying to be a smart ass but why does it matter if they sit or stand or come or not and why do grown adult males care anyway? I went to the game, enjoyed watching it, got excited a few times when we made great plays, commented when the other team made some great ones, stayed to the end and as Annie sang, "the sun will come up tomorrow."

Last Edited: 1/22/2020 9:53:24 AM by Alan Swank

Back to Top
  
Bobcat2019
General User

Member Since: 9/4/2019
Post Count: 12

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 10:00:16 AM 
boydhallbobcat wrote:
Seemed like there was a decent crowd last night, but do they get excited about anything? I know we lost last night, but there were several comeback runs that should have got them on their feet and...nothing! Frustrating. I know some of you will say "Put a winner on the floor and they'll come"...That's probably true, but dang..Show a little passion. It's sad when a 70 year old man is the most rowdy person in the section.


I feel
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,396

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 10:01:59 AM 
Alan Swank wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass by why does it matter if they sit or stand or come or not and why do grown adult males care anyway? I went to the game, enjoyed watching it, got excited a few times when we made great plays, commented when the other team made some great ones, stayed to the end and as Annie sang, "the sun will come up tomorrow."


A big loud crowd led by the students is part of the total entertainment package. It's not just about the game on the floor. Not that us old folks are owed that, but as a former front and center O Zoner myself, I know just how fun college basketball can be if you let your inhibitions go a little bit, and I find it a bit disappointing that kids today don't look at things the same way.

Last Edited: 1/22/2020 10:03:47 AM by shabamon

Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,280

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 10:12:48 AM 
shabamon wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass by why does it matter if they sit or stand or come or not and why do grown adult males care anyway? I went to the game, enjoyed watching it, got excited a few times when we made great plays, commented when the other team made some great ones, stayed to the end and as Annie sang, "the sun will come up tomorrow."


A big loud crowd led by the students is part of the total entertainment package. It's not just about the game on the floor. Not that us old folks are owed that, but as a former front and center O Zoner myself, I know just how fun college basketball can be if you let your inhibitions go a little bit, and I find it a bit disappointing that kids today don't look at things the same way.


A lively student section is everything to the program. The players want to play in front of passionate fans and want their classmates behind them. Recruits eat it up. Older fans and children LOVE the atmosphere and entertainment that a good student section brings. Most of us on this board are diehards that only need the game itself to entertain us...but so many others need so much more.

Also, our best "old" fans are former student section crazies. You rarely (ever?) run into a Bobcat fan that didn't really care as a student and picked it up as an alumni. If they can't be bothered to stand up and cheer and a 20 year old, they won't be bothered to come or even watch it on TV as a 30 year old.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 10:44:44 AM 
shabamon wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass by why does it matter if they sit or stand or come or not and why do grown adult males care anyway? I went to the game, enjoyed watching it, got excited a few times when we made great plays, commented when the other team made some great ones, stayed to the end and as Annie sang, "the sun will come up tomorrow."


I find it a bit disappointing that kids today don't look at things the same way.



Again, simply trying to get my head around this - why do you find it disappointing? Those of us in our 60s and 70s are often criticized for our disappointment in the younger generations for not being into or getting excited about a variety of things that we thought were so important. I'm not criticizing I'm just trying to get a handle on the reason for the disappointment and if perhaps it's the same thing as what those over a certain age are criticized for.

Back to Top
  
Bobcat2019
General User

Member Since: 9/4/2019
Post Count: 12

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 11:01:30 AM 
Alan Swank wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass by why does it matter if they sit or stand or come or not and why do grown adult males care anyway? I went to the game, enjoyed watching it, got excited a few times when we made great plays, commented when the other team made some great ones, stayed to the end and as Annie sang, "the sun will come up tomorrow."


I find it a bit disappointing that kids today don't look at things the same way.



Again, simply trying to get my head around this - why do you find it disappointing? Those of us in our 60s and 70s are often criticized for our disappointment in the younger generations for not being into or getting excited about a variety of things that we thought were so important. I'm not criticizing I'm just trying to get a handle on the reason for the disappointment and if perhaps it's the same thing as what those over a certain age are criticized for.



I'm 19 and I am disappointed in the lack of participation in the student section. The Ozone used to be bumpin and I want that back. You'd be surprised the amount of students that say they would stand if other people were standing. Seems only a few people are brave enough to do it as of right now.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,396

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 11:15:06 AM 
Alan Swank wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass by why does it matter if they sit or stand or come or not and why do grown adult males care anyway? I went to the game, enjoyed watching it, got excited a few times when we made great plays, commented when the other team made some great ones, stayed to the end and as Annie sang, "the sun will come up tomorrow."


I find it a bit disappointing that kids today don't look at things the same way.



Again, simply trying to get my head around this - why do you find it disappointing? Those of us in our 60s and 70s are often criticized for our disappointment in the younger generations for not being into or getting excited about a variety of things that we thought were so important. I'm not criticizing I'm just trying to get a handle on the reason for the disappointment and if perhaps it's the same thing as what those over a certain age are criticized for.



Just an observation not specific to OU, basketball, or sports in general. Gen Z seems a bit too inhibited and self-conscious to let loose.

Ruck said it better than I did. A big, energetic student presence is gold to an athletic department. In any business, if you're not able to generate new, loyal customers, you will die.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat2019
General User

Member Since: 9/4/2019
Post Count: 12

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 11:19:08 AM 
shabamon wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass by why does it matter if they sit or stand or come or not and why do grown adult males care anyway? I went to the game, enjoyed watching it, got excited a few times when we made great plays, commented when the other team made some great ones, stayed to the end and as Annie sang, "the sun will come up tomorrow."


I find it a bit disappointing that kids today don't look at things the same way.



Again, simply trying to get my head around this - why do you find it disappointing? Those of us in our 60s and 70s are often criticized for our disappointment in the younger generations for not being into or getting excited about a variety of things that we thought were so important. I'm not criticizing I'm just trying to get a handle on the reason for the disappointment and if perhaps it's the same thing as what those over a certain age are criticized for.



Just an observation not specific to OU, basketball, or sports in general. Gen Z seems a bit too inhibited and self-conscious to let loose.

Ruck said it better than I did. A big, energetic student presence is gold to an athletic department. In any business, if you're not able to generate new, loyal customers, you will die.


Agree 100%. My buddy and I talked about that last night after the game. We have to get students out of their bubble and live life a little.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,447

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 12:00:13 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass by why does it matter if they sit or stand or come or not and why do grown adult males care anyway? I went to the game, enjoyed watching it, got excited a few times when we made great plays, commented when the other team made some great ones, stayed to the end and as Annie sang, "the sun will come up tomorrow."


I find it a bit disappointing that kids today don't look at things the same way.



Again, simply trying to get my head around this - why do you find it disappointing? Those of us in our 60s and 70s are often criticized for our disappointment in the younger generations for not being into or getting excited about a variety of things that we thought were so important. I'm not criticizing I'm just trying to get a handle on the reason for the disappointment and if perhaps it's the same thing as what those over a certain age are criticized for.



Not speaking for Shab, but as a former member of the OZone also, it's a little disappointing just because of where it was and what DLowe and others made it become. When I was in school there was an undocumented expectation that if you're gonna sit down there, you're gonna be rowdy.

Some of my fondest memories were cold winter nights, finishing my shift at Shively Dining Hall and then going to the Convo for a midweek game to get a little crazy and let loose.

Western Michigan's Ben Reed flipped us off in 2005. We've never seen anything close to that in this era. It's not just about being rowdy and being loud. You felt like you were part of the team getting in the other players' heads. And then when we did "Winning Team, Losing Team" everyone loved it.

Last Edited: 1/22/2020 12:01:51 PM by GoCats105

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On US33 between Athens and Madison Co., OH
Post Count: 7,403

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 12:07:44 PM 
shabamon wrote:
Just an observation not specific to OU, basketball, or sports in general. Gen Z seems a bit too inhibited and self-conscious to let loose.

Ruck said it better than I did. A big, energetic student presence is gold to an athletic department. In any business, if you're not able to generate new, loyal customers, you will die.


I'm gonna sound like an old man when I ask this, but how much of the "bit too inhibited and self-conscious to let loose" has to do with phones and cameras being everywhere, and the fear of embarrassing yourself, or potentially worse?

I did some dumb things I did at that age like everyone else. I'd like to think that with camera's everywhere, I would have been a little different.
Back to Top
  
Ohio69
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,747

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 1:11:15 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:


Again, simply trying to get my head around this - why do you find it disappointing?


It is simply way more fun when fans are engaged and loud. I was hoping the whole DLowe's Crew Ozone thing from last year would carry over. And they would push the convo to be more raucous. But, that seems to have fizzled quickly.

90% of the fans don't even stand up and clap for the fight song. That's just weird. What the?

Also, I know you gotta pay the bills but the promotions during time outs are anti-excitement/fun/raucousness. Bobcats go on a run. Time out. I'm likely already standing because I'm excited. Do we get the fight song to get people up and cheering and moving and loud? Nope. We get silence and three people trying to see who can wrap a burrito the fastest or whatever. Yawn....








Can somebody hit a pull up jumper for me?.....

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,396

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 1:27:34 PM 
Ohio69 wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:


Again, simply trying to get my head around this - why do you find it disappointing?



Also, I know you gotta pay the bills but the promotions during time outs are anti-excitement/fun/raucousness. Bobcats go on a run. Time out. I'm likely already standing because I'm excited. Do we get the fight song to get people up and cheering and moving and loud? Nope. We get silence and three people trying to see who can wrap a burrito the fastest or whatever. Yawn....



Do we still play Zombie Nation sometimes?
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 6,830

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 2:15:46 PM 
Maybe it's just coincidence but the demise of the OZone seems to have coincided with the decline of Ohio's party school image.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: Akron (sleeper agent)
Post Count: 4,744

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 2:17:25 PM 
OU_Country wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Just an observation not specific to OU, basketball, or sports in general. Gen Z seems a bit too inhibited and self-conscious to let loose.

Ruck said it better than I did. A big, energetic student presence is gold to an athletic department. In any business, if you're not able to generate new, loyal customers, you will die.


I'm gonna sound like an old man when I ask this, but how much of the "bit too inhibited and self-conscious to let loose" has to do with phones and cameras being everywhere, and the fear of embarrassing yourself, or potentially worse?

I did some dumb things I did at that age like everyone else. I'd like to think that with camera's everywhere, I would have been a little different.


I think this is a big part of the problem.

The key to the O Zone getting people engaged is making it fun again.

Students in organizations on campus today run a big risk of Jenny Hall-Jones sending them a cease-and-desist letter if they attempt to do anything other than sit in their seats and quietly take notes.


I've seen crazier things happen.

Black 41 Flash Reverse

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,611

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 3:19:36 PM 
The Optimist wrote:
...Students in organizations on campus today run a big risk of Jenny Hall-Jones sending them a cease-and-desist letter if they attempt to do anything other than sit in their seats and quietly take notes.


Yes, couldn't telling a ref he's blind, or telling a player on the other team that his hairdo makes him look like a girl, be considered hazing under JHJ's ever expanding and elusive definition? And, the Ozone has said much worse things about refs and opposing players. Much worse.

Last Edited: 1/22/2020 3:20:27 PM by OhioCatFan


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 3:50:21 PM 
Ohio69 wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:


Again, simply trying to get my head around this - why do you find it disappointing?




Also, I know you gotta pay the bills but the promotions during time outs are anti-excitement/fun/raucousness. Bobcats go on a run. Time out. I'm likely already standing because I'm excited. Do we get the fight song to get people up and cheering and moving and loud? Nope. We get silence and three people trying to see who can wrap a burrito the fastest or whatever. Yawn....









To that point, here are a few paragraphs of the letter I sent to Schaus when he asked for input on the basketball program game day experience last year.

"Game flow is a problematic area when we are trying to create spirit and enthusiasm and a home court advantage. Thank you for getting rid of “stand for defense.” As a former athlete and coach, that practice would have served as great motivation for my team and me to score as quickly as possible to “sit those folks down” or to deliver a common 70’s statement – “in your face.” I’m afraid “Roar to 1804” is as equally ineffective except for those wanting a cheap hot dog.

Having subbed as a volleyball announcer, I’m aware of the requirements of the game script/log especially as it pertains to promotions and advertisements which are a large part of the necessary revenue stream for your department. There have been many times though when adherence to the script has actually killed the spirit and enthusiasm and home court advantage that we are trying to build.

I didn’t take notes of the specific games or times in the games this year, but on more than one occasion, the Bobcats battled back to make a game close, tie the game or go ahead and the other team was forced to call a time out or a dead ball and the resulting media time out resulted in a stoppage in play. Either a pre-scheduled promotion was trotted out, a scripted announcement was made, or a recorded song was played when a blaring tune by the 110 or a more appropriate recorded song could have been played thus building on crowd noise and enthusiasm as opposed to fans returning to their seated position in their seats. A well-trained technical director who understands the ebb and flow of the game would be a huge step in improving the in-game experience. There were too many occasions where the 110 and the DJ/sound board operator were in conflict."


Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,447

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 3:56:41 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
Ohio69 wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:


Again, simply trying to get my head around this - why do you find it disappointing?




Also, I know you gotta pay the bills but the promotions during time outs are anti-excitement/fun/raucousness. Bobcats go on a run. Time out. I'm likely already standing because I'm excited. Do we get the fight song to get people up and cheering and moving and loud? Nope. We get silence and three people trying to see who can wrap a burrito the fastest or whatever. Yawn....









To that point, here are a few paragraphs of the letter I sent to Schaus when he asked for input on the basketball program game day experience last year.

"Game flow is a problematic area when we are trying to create spirit and enthusiasm and a home court advantage. Thank you for getting rid of “stand for defense.” As a former athlete and coach, that practice would have served as great motivation for my team and me to score as quickly as possible to “sit those folks down” or to deliver a common 70’s statement – “in your face.” I’m afraid “Roar to 1804” is as equally ineffective except for those wanting a cheap hot dog.

Having subbed as a volleyball announcer, I’m aware of the requirements of the game script/log especially as it pertains to promotions and advertisements which are a large part of the necessary revenue stream for your department. There have been many times though when adherence to the script has actually killed the spirit and enthusiasm and home court advantage that we are trying to build.

I didn’t take notes of the specific games or times in the games this year, but on more than one occasion, the Bobcats battled back to make a game close, tie the game or go ahead and the other team was forced to call a time out or a dead ball and the resulting media time out resulted in a stoppage in play. Either a pre-scheduled promotion was trotted out, a scripted announcement was made, or a recorded song was played when a blaring tune by the 110 or a more appropriate recorded song could have been played thus building on crowd noise and enthusiasm as opposed to fans returning to their seated position in their seats. A well-trained technical director who understands the ebb and flow of the game would be a huge step in improving the in-game experience. There were too many occasions where the 110 and the DJ/sound board operator were in conflict."




I'm not really sure what you want them to do about the game script when it comes to the promotions. Those advertisers are paying for that time to get their product in at a certain slot. I'm guessing some of the slots are more expensive than others a.k.a. more likely that eyeballs are on the court, such as end of game situations. No matter who the technical director is, you have to give the people writing your checks their time they paid for.

The 110/DJ thing can absolutely be cleaned up, though. I agree there.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 4:45:31 PM 
GoCats105 wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
Ohio69 wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:


Again, simply trying to get my head around this - why do you find it disappointing?




Also, I know you gotta pay the bills but the promotions during time outs are anti-excitement/fun/raucousness. Bobcats go on a run. Time out. I'm likely already standing because I'm excited. Do we get the fight song to get people up and cheering and moving and loud? Nope. We get silence and three people trying to see who can wrap a burrito the fastest or whatever. Yawn....









To that point, here are a few paragraphs of the letter I sent to Schaus when he asked for input on the basketball program game day experience last year.

"Game flow is a problematic area when we are trying to create spirit and enthusiasm and a home court advantage. Thank you for getting rid of “stand for defense.” As a former athlete and coach, that practice would have served as great motivation for my team and me to score as quickly as possible to “sit those folks down” or to deliver a common 70’s statement – “in your face.” I’m afraid “Roar to 1804” is as equally ineffective except for those wanting a cheap hot dog.

Having subbed as a volleyball announcer, I’m aware of the requirements of the game script/log especially as it pertains to promotions and advertisements which are a large part of the necessary revenue stream for your department. There have been many times though when adherence to the script has actually killed the spirit and enthusiasm and home court advantage that we are trying to build.

I didn’t take notes of the specific games or times in the games this year, but on more than one occasion, the Bobcats battled back to make a game close, tie the game or go ahead and the other team was forced to call a time out or a dead ball and the resulting media time out resulted in a stoppage in play. Either a pre-scheduled promotion was trotted out, a scripted announcement was made, or a recorded song was played when a blaring tune by the 110 or a more appropriate recorded song could have been played thus building on crowd noise and enthusiasm as opposed to fans returning to their seated position in their seats. A well-trained technical director who understands the ebb and flow of the game would be a huge step in improving the in-game experience. There were too many occasions where the 110 and the DJ/sound board operator were in conflict."




I'm not really sure what you want them to do about the game script when it comes to the promotions. Those advertisers are paying for that time to get their product in at a certain slot. I'm guessing some of the slots are more expensive than others a.k.a. more likely that eyeballs are on the court, such as end of game situations. No matter who the technical director is, you have to give the people writing your checks their time they paid for.

The 110/DJ thing can absolutely be cleaned up, though. I agree there.


The game script is easy if you simply write flexibiltiy into the advertising contract. You'd be shocked how little those promos cost. This isn't the Superbowl where millions are being paid for specific time slots. I was going to do an onfield promotion a few years back where I'd race three students 50 yards in my Smart Car. It was going to be a tie into text book winnings. Cost was only $6000 to $8000 total for six home games.
Back to Top
  
CatsUp
General User

Member Since: 4/15/2019
Post Count: 185

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 5:13:52 PM 
Certainly we could get creative and use most of that big new scoreboard for something other than a giant tv screen. I would think this could be done and still maintain some excitement. Having businesses sponsor replays (which seem to be few) would be a start.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,895

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 5:34:43 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
I’m afraid “Roar to 1804” is as equally ineffective except for those wanting a cheap hot dog.


So that is you who's responsible for putting an end to the cheap hot dogs?

(Before SBH jumps all over me, Alan and others know I may have been the first Bobcat fan to speak out against both Stand for Defense and Roar for 1804)
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,447

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 5:51:24 PM 
CatsUp wrote:
Certainly we could get creative and use most of that big new scoreboard for something other than a giant tv screen. I would think this could be done and still maintain some excitement. Having businesses sponsor replays (which seem to be few) would be a start.


THIS. We put up this beautiful new scoreboard and it's not even being used to its full potential. This can also solve a lot of the sponsorship timeout issues that Alan is talking about.

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The OZONE?
   Posted: 1/22/2020 6:23:48 PM 
The Optimist wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Just an observation not specific to OU, basketball, or sports in general. Gen Z seems a bit too inhibited and self-conscious to let loose.

Ruck said it better than I did. A big, energetic student presence is gold to an athletic department. In any business, if you're not able to generate new, loyal customers, you will die.


I'm gonna sound like an old man when I ask this, but how much of the "bit too inhibited and self-conscious to let loose" has to do with phones and cameras being everywhere, and the fear of embarrassing yourself, or potentially worse?

I did some dumb things I did at that age like everyone else. I'd like to think that with camera's everywhere, I would have been a little different.


I think this is a big part of the problem.

The key to the O Zone getting people engaged is making it fun again.

Students in organizations on campus today run a big risk of Jenny Hall-Jones sending them a cease-and-desist letter if they attempt to do anything other than sit in their seats and quietly take notes.


I sit right across from the Ozone, 6 rows up and on the aisle. When they used to do original stuff (not bounce, bounce, pass, pass), it was a hoot - a fine example of youthful exuberance and creativity. Then it got stale. Why? This is my opinion but when the powers that be in the athletic department who were extremely conservative began to "babysit" the group and set the rules, things went south. Combine that with a lackluster record on the court and it just died. With all due respect to a great Bobcat, they tried the DLo thing but that didn't register or resonate with the students. It was adults telling kids how to have a party. Give the game back to the kids and let's see what they come up with. Right now, the two guys standing and the old man are a reason not to get involved.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 92 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2 | 3 | 4    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties