Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22

Topic:  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
Author
Message
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,182

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/19/2022 6:58:42 PM 
Joe Foss wrote:
82-69 final for Ohio. Great game for Gabby Burris, who scored 26 on 10-15 shooting. Erica Johnson had 17, including 3-5 from three.

Four teams are now within a half-game of each other for 6th through 9th place. Three of them are tied with .500 records. Ball State (7-7) holds 6th since they are 3-0 against NIU (8-8) and Ohio (7-7). Ohio is in 8th with an 0-3 record against NIU and Ball State. Bowling Green (7-8) is 9th. Ohio holds an additional edge against BG since they swept the 2 games against the Falcons, and hold the head to head tiebreaker.

The MAC has not yet scheduled a make-up game between Ball State and Ohio. The two teams are both open on Monday, February 28, as well as on Monday, March 7. With the standings so tight, the league may decide to put that make-up game on the schedule.


Gabby did have a really good game. I believe the announcers said that her 26 points was career high. YaYa, IMHO, is really coming along nicely in her development. I'm very high on her, and on Madi. Another encouraging thing is that at one point CeCe made 7 out of 8 free throws; but, of course, she spoiled that run at the end of the game missing multiple charity tosses. Overall, though it was a good game by our women! Go OHIO!


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Joe Foss
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 120

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/21/2022 5:53:17 PM 
Ohio is up 25-24 at the half in Akron. Sloppy game with poor shooting from both teams, except for Akron's MAC POY candidate Jordyn Dawson. She is keeping her team in it with nearly a double-double at the half with 16 pts and 9 boards.
Back to Top
  
Joe Foss
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 120

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/21/2022 7:22:36 PM 
Final Ohio 69, Akron 66. A back and forth fourth quarter saw Ohio pull out to a 5 point lead at the under 5 timeout, only to have Akron go on a run to go up by 5 with just over 3 minutes to go. No problem - the Bobcats erased Akron's lead in about a minute of play, then Erica Johnson made a very long 3 at 1:09 to provide a 67-64 lead. Gabby Burris nailed it down with 2 free throws to make a Zips' basket at the buzzer meaningless.

Cece Hooks left a second half reminder in Akron as to who the reigning POY is in this league with 22 second half points. She finished with 28 and 13 boards. Jordyn Dawson was held to 6 second half points.

The week doesn't get any easier for Ohio, as they travel to Buffalo on Wednesday, then have a return engagement with Akron on Saturday at the Convo. But their 8-7 record pushes them up a few spots in the standings, and makes things look a whole lot better than they did two games ago.

Last Edited: 2/21/2022 7:24:36 PM by Joe Foss

Back to Top
  
Cellis033
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2021
Location: Powell, OH
Post Count: 856

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/21/2022 8:06:51 PM 
Joe Foss wrote:
Final Ohio 69, Akron 66. A back and forth fourth quarter saw Ohio pull out to a 5 point lead at the under 5 timeout, only to have Akron go on a run to go up by 5 with just over 3 minutes to go. No problem - the Bobcats erased Akron's lead in about a minute of play, then Erica Johnson made a very long 3 at 1:09 to provide a 67-64 lead. Gabby Burris nailed it down with 2 free throws to make a Zips' basket at the buzzer meaningless.

Cece Hooks left a second half reminder in Akron as to who the reigning POY is in this league with 22 second half points. She finished with 28 and 13 boards. Jordyn Dawson was held to 6 second half points.

The week doesn't get any easier for Ohio, as they travel to Buffalo on Wednesday, then have a return engagement with Akron on Saturday at the Convo. But their 8-7 record pushes them up a few spots in the standings, and makes things look a whole lot better than they did two games ago.


Will definitely see about getting a group together to go to the womens game on Saturday! Wish they could draw a bigger student crowd.


Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
O-Zone Leader
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kent read, Kent write, Can't be a state!
Bowling Green isn't a state either.

Back to Top
  
WxM
General User

Member Since: 1/21/2020
Post Count: 66

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/22/2022 3:43:13 AM 
Cellis033 wrote:
Joe Foss wrote:
Final Ohio 69, Akron 66. A back and forth fourth quarter saw Ohio pull out to a 5 point lead at the under 5 timeout, only to have Akron go on a run to go up by 5 with just over 3 minutes to go. No problem - the Bobcats erased Akron's lead in about a minute of play, then Erica Johnson made a very long 3 at 1:09 to provide a 67-64 lead. Gabby Burris nailed it down with 2 free throws to make a Zips' basket at the buzzer meaningless.

Cece Hooks left a second half reminder in Akron as to who the reigning POY is in this league with 22 second half points. She finished with 28 and 13 boards. Jordyn Dawson was held to 6 second half points.

The week doesn't get any easier for Ohio, as they travel to Buffalo on Wednesday, then have a return engagement with Akron on Saturday at the Convo. But their 8-7 record pushes them up a few spots in the standings, and makes things look a whole lot better than they did two games ago.


Will definitely see about getting a group together to go to the womens game on Saturday! Wish they could draw a bigger student crowd.

I hope you can. With the much smaller overall crowd sizes, it makes it that much easier for just a few students to have an impact. People on the court can actually hear what you say. And the people who do show up, are likely to be really interested, which means they should be much easier for you to lead in cheers. The energy and enthusiasm is there among those who do show up; they just need it directed.

I know it has been a challenging season, but most every time the "full strength" version of this team takes the floor--as full strength as it will ever be this year--they prove they can play with anyone in their league. In just two games, they've went from out of the tournament to tied for fourth. They could realistically end up in third...or back out of the tournament. A little extra student support could go a long way.
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,126

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/22/2022 10:33:30 AM 
That was a big time response when they went down late in the 4th. I'll be honest, I was shoveling the dirt onto their season's grave at that point, but the ladies responded and took the game back. It felt like a game they had to have at this point.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 4,838

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/22/2022 11:21:21 AM 
Right now, the difference between the four seed and missing the tournament is a half game. Literally half the conference is in a logjam. If the tournament started today, 16-9 Kent State would be out.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 4,838

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/22/2022 11:27:43 AM 
Everyone in the conference has played 16 games except us and Ball State, who have played 15 games. We're both 8-7, tied for fourth place, and had a game against each other postponed. I'm surprised there's yet to be an announcement of a reschedule for next Monday in Muncie with the stakes being so pivotal. Right now, it's working out in both teams' favor to not have a potential loss and be tied for the ninth seed.
Back to Top
  
stub
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 913

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/22/2022 11:53:10 AM 
100%Cat wrote:
That was a big time response when they went down late in the 4th. I'll be honest, I was shoveling the dirt onto their season's grave at that point, but the ladies responded and took the game back. It felt like a game they had to have at this point.


I was feeling the same way until the quick comeback at the end, with Erica's beyond the top of the key dagger. And a sweet second half by Cece.

Back to Top
  
Cellis033
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2021
Location: Powell, OH
Post Count: 856

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/22/2022 12:16:11 PM 
WxM wrote:
Cellis033 wrote:
Joe Foss wrote:
Final Ohio 69, Akron 66. A back and forth fourth quarter saw Ohio pull out to a 5 point lead at the under 5 timeout, only to have Akron go on a run to go up by 5 with just over 3 minutes to go. No problem - the Bobcats erased Akron's lead in about a minute of play, then Erica Johnson made a very long 3 at 1:09 to provide a 67-64 lead. Gabby Burris nailed it down with 2 free throws to make a Zips' basket at the buzzer meaningless.

Cece Hooks left a second half reminder in Akron as to who the reigning POY is in this league with 22 second half points. She finished with 28 and 13 boards. Jordyn Dawson was held to 6 second half points.

The week doesn't get any easier for Ohio, as they travel to Buffalo on Wednesday, then have a return engagement with Akron on Saturday at the Convo. But their 8-7 record pushes them up a few spots in the standings, and makes things look a whole lot better than they did two games ago.


Will definitely see about getting a group together to go to the womens game on Saturday! Wish they could draw a bigger student crowd.

I hope you can. With the much smaller overall crowd sizes, it makes it that much easier for just a few students to have an impact. People on the court can actually hear what you say. And the people who do show up, are likely to be really interested, which means they should be much easier for you to lead in cheers. The energy and enthusiasm is there among those who do show up; they just need it directed.

I know it has been a challenging season, but most every time the "full strength" version of this team takes the floor--as full strength as it will ever be this year--they prove they can play with anyone in their league. In just two games, they've went from out of the tournament to tied for fourth. They could realistically end up in third...or back out of the tournament. A little extra student support could go a long way.


I agree with this. Going to be promoting the heck out of the Saturday game. Huge
implications with maintaining our MAC tourney berth. I will be so excited if we get both basketball teams in!

Last Edited: 2/22/2022 12:16:35 PM by Cellis033


Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
O-Zone Leader
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kent read, Kent write, Can't be a state!
Bowling Green isn't a state either.

Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,738

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/24/2022 10:41:41 AM 
Updated standings and remaining games:
1. Toledo 16-1, @EMU, NIU, WMU
2. Buffalo 13-4, @Kent, @Akron, BG
3. Akron 11-6, @Ohio, UB, Miami
4. Ball State 9-7, NIU, @CMU, EMU
5t. Kent State 9-8, UB, at BG, Ohio
5t. Northern Illinois 9-8, @BSU, @UT, CMU
7t. Ohio 8-8, Akron, Miami, @KSU
8t. Western Michigan 8-9 CMU, EMU, @UT
8t. Bowling Green 8-9, @Miami, KSU, @UB
10t. Miami 4-13, BG, @Ohio, @Akron
10t. Eastern Michigan 4-13, UT, @WMU, @BSU
12. Central Michigan 2-15, @WMU, BSU, @NIU

Ball State and Western Michigan both have 2 remaining games against teams out of the tourney mix. Ball State is in really good shape. Ohio, NIU and BG both have 1 game against one of the top 3 that should be in, one of the bottom 3 and one against a team fighting for the tourney. Kent State has one against the top and two against the middle, so probably the hardest schedule of those six battling for 4-9.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,182

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/24/2022 12:02:21 PM 
An observation about the Buffalo game. It seemed to me that until the final five minutes of the game some our top players were playing more individual than team ball. There was more one-on-one action and less passing to an open teammate. But once we started the press and got more aggressive on defense, we started to also play more team ball on offense. This is not the first game where I've seen our top players do what appeared to me to be too much "ball hogging." Are these valid observations? I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a coach's eye for such things, just your average fan-level observation.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Joe Foss
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 120

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/26/2022 7:30:09 PM 
I left today's 88-77 loss to Akron thinking that the Bobcats' chance to make the MAC tournament had been ended. But after looking at the other results today, it appears that not only are they still in the race, they still control their own destiny. Ohio is currently in 9th, but a home win Wednesday against Miami followed by a road win at Kent State next Saturday would put them in. There are other possibilities, but that is the only one that does not depend on help from another team.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,182

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/27/2022 12:25:38 AM 
Joe Foss wrote:
I left today's 88-77 loss to Akron thinking that the Bobcats' chance to make the MAC tournament had been ended. But after looking at the other results today, it appears that not only are they still in the race, they still control their own destiny. Ohio is currently in 9th, but a home win Wednesday against Miami followed by a road win at Kent State next Saturday would put them in. There are other possibilities, but that is the only one that does not depend on help from another team.


I attended today's game with my wife. Both of us left feeling that the team this year just doesn't have the what it takes to be very successful even if they do make the tournament. We've got a lot of good individual players, but they have not jelled into a good team. Not sure why this is true, but if you look at my previous post a day or so ago, you'll see at least some of my personal speculation.

I'm in kind of a basketball downer right now after two very disappointing performances by OHIO b-ballers in the last two days. I'm trying to get psyched for some CBI action and maybe some WNIT, if we are very lucky.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,738

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/27/2022 11:57:50 AM 
Updated standings and remaining games:
1. Toledo 17-1, NIU, WMU
2. Buffalo 14-4, @Akron, BG
3. Akron 12-6, UB, Miami
4. Northern Illinois 10-8, @UT, CMU
5. Ball State 9-8, @CMU, EMU
6t. Kent State 9-9, at BG, Ohio
6t. Western Michigan 9-9 EMU, @UT
6t. Bowling Green 9-9, KSU, @UB
9. Ohio 8-9, Miami, @KSU
10t. Miami 4-14, @Ohio, @Akron
10t. Eastern Michigan 4-14, @WMU, @BSU
12. Central Michigan 2-16, BSU, @NIU

Two wins obviously guarantees Ohio gets in. One win in the last two could do it if any of Kent State, Western or BG goes 0-2.
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,126

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 2/28/2022 11:32:21 AM 
UpSan Bobcat wrote:
Updated standings and remaining games:
1. Toledo 17-1, NIU, WMU
2. Buffalo 14-4, @Akron, BG
3. Akron 12-6, UB, Miami
4. Northern Illinois 10-8, @UT, CMU
5. Ball State 9-8, @CMU, EMU
6t. Kent State 9-9, at BG, Ohio
6t. Western Michigan 9-9 EMU, @UT
6t. Bowling Green 9-9, KSU, @UB
9. Ohio 8-9, Miami, @KSU
10t. Miami 4-14, @Ohio, @Akron
10t. Eastern Michigan 4-14, @WMU, @BSU
12. Central Michigan 2-16, BSU, @NIU

Two wins obviously guarantees Ohio gets in. One win in the last two could do it if any of Kent State, Western or BG goes 0-2.


I hate having to rely on other teams to lose, but I could definitely see BG dropping both of those games.
Back to Top
  
Joe Foss
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 120

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 3/2/2022 9:19:44 PM 
Final Ohio 73, Miami 64. The Bobcats threw in their last chip, activating Peyton Guice to play her first game of the season. According to Marty Bannister, that will cost her a season of eligibility for what may end up being only 2 games played. But she made an immediate impact, taking two charges and picking up a steal, playing with the energy that this defense has to be played with in order to be effective. Knocking down a late three didn't hurt a bit, either.

At 9-9, Ohio is in 8th place, just ahead of 9-10 Kent State, who lost tonight. The Bobcats must win at Kent State on Saturday to make the tournament. There is no longer a chance of making it if they lose. Of course, Kent State is also in a must-win situation.
Back to Top
  
GroverBall
General User

Member Since: 12/3/2012
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 1,189

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 3/2/2022 10:14:20 PM 
Thanks for the recap Joe. Game on Saturday is at 1:00 on ESPN+. Go Cats!
Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,738

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 3/3/2022 7:46:58 AM 
Updated standings and remaining games:
1. Toledo 18-1, WMU
2. Buffalo 15-4, BG
3. Akron 12-7, Miami
4. Ball State 10-8, EMU
5t. Northern Illinois 10-9, CMU
5t. Western Michigan 10-9 @UT
5t. Bowling Green 10-9, @UB
8. Ohio 9-9, @KSU
9. Kent State 9-10, Ohio
10t. Miami 4-15, @Akron
10t. Eastern Michigan 4-15, @BSU
12. Central Michigan 2-17, @NIU

All of the teams previously tied for sixth won except for Kent State, so winner between Ohio and Kent State gets the final spot.
Back to Top
  
WxM
General User

Member Since: 1/21/2020
Post Count: 66

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 3/3/2022 9:13:21 AM 
A bigger crowd than usual. Maybe because it was Miami, maybe because it was essentially the first MAC tournament game, or maybe because it was the last home game of the year. Lots of turnout from various sports teams, including football and basketball.

Really going to miss seeing Gabby Burris play. She's become BVP of the women's team.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 4,838

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 3/3/2022 9:29:00 AM 
UpSan Bobcat wrote:
Updated standings and remaining games:
1. Toledo 18-1, WMU
2. Buffalo 15-4, BG
3. Akron 12-7, Miami
4. Ball State 10-8, EMU
5t. Northern Illinois 10-9, CMU
5t. Western Michigan 10-9 @UT
5t. Bowling Green 10-9, @UB
8. Ohio 9-9, @KSU
9. Kent State 9-10, Ohio
10t. Miami 4-15, @Akron
10t. Eastern Michigan 4-15, @BSU
12. Central Michigan 2-17, @NIU

All of the teams previously tied for sixth won except for Kent State, so winner between Ohio and Kent State gets the final spot.


If I'm reading this right, there is a chance for as high as the five seed with a win.

The decision for Guice to burn a year of eligibility on possibly only two games actually doesn't sound like that big of an ask. If she had taken a medical redshirt, she still would have had sophomore eligibility next year. Instead, she'll be a junior in her fourth year with the program. Provided she stays healthy, that's two more years and a whole lot of basketball she can still give to the program.

I said several weeks ago at pretty much our lowest point with all the injuries that I still give them a fighting chance against anyone in the league, and if they could get just one player back, ANYONE, they would have enough to compete for a title. I wasn't expecting that one player to be Guice. 16 minutes in her return to the floor with some scoring off the bench, no turnovers, that's a great sign.

Do or die Saturday.
Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,738

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 3/3/2022 10:08:36 AM 
shabamon wrote:
UpSan Bobcat wrote:
Updated standings and remaining games:
1. Toledo 18-1, WMU
2. Buffalo 15-4, BG
3. Akron 12-7, Miami
4. Ball State 10-8, EMU
5t. Northern Illinois 10-9, CMU
5t. Western Michigan 10-9 @UT
5t. Bowling Green 10-9, @UB
8. Ohio 9-9, @KSU
9. Kent State 9-10, Ohio
10t. Miami 4-15, @Akron
10t. Eastern Michigan 4-15, @BSU
12. Central Michigan 2-17, @NIU

All of the teams previously tied for sixth won except for Kent State, so winner between Ohio and Kent State gets the final spot.


If I'm reading this right, there is a chance for as high as the five seed with a win.

The decision for Guice to burn a year of eligibility on possibly only two games actually doesn't sound like that big of an ask. If she had taken a medical redshirt, she still would have had sophomore eligibility next year. Instead, she'll be a junior in her fourth year with the program. Provided she stays healthy, that's two more years and a whole lot of basketball she can still give to the program.

I said several weeks ago at pretty much our lowest point with all the injuries that I still give them a fighting chance against anyone in the league, and if they could get just one player back, ANYONE, they would have enough to compete for a title. I wasn't expecting that one player to be Guice. 16 minutes in her return to the floor with some scoring off the bench, no turnovers, that's a great sign.

Do or die Saturday.


A win probably puts Ohio at 6, which would be ideal. Toledo and Buffalo have been really good, although Ohio has one win against each of them. If Western or Bowling Green get against those top two teams, Ohio's potential seed would drop to 7 or 8. If Northern Illinois loses to last place Central, Ohio could jump up to as high as fifth.

That's a good point about Guice. She's already getting one extra year because of COVID. The chances she wants to stick around for six years probably aren't high, so might as well get at least a few games out of her this year if she's ready, and she looked it.

As for this week's opponent, Ohio beat Kent State 70-64 the first time Jan. 12. Hooks had a big fourth quarter to help pull it out. Mace also had a pretty nice game. Johnson had a bad shooting game.
Back to Top
  
Joe Foss
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 120

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 3/3/2022 10:29:22 AM 
Joe Foss wrote:
At 9-9, Ohio is in 8th place, just ahead of 9-10 Kent State, who lost tonight. The Bobcats must win at Kent State on Saturday to make the tournament. There is no longer a chance of making it if they lose.


I think I'll have to hedge on that statement, based on what I'm reading on other boards about a pandemic seeding tiebreaker that the MAC may have adopted. I haven't been able to find anything official put out by the MAC, so the following information is from "BullBoy", posting on the CSNMACbbs. Essentially, he says that rather than using winning percentage as a means of ranking teams that have played an unequal number of games, the MAC has redefined what a "tie" is. Teams will now be considered tied if they are within a half-game of each other. As he puts it, teams will be considered "tied with anyone they are either tied in the loss column with and within one in the win column or anyone they are tied within the win column, and within one loss."

If that is a correct statement of the new rule, and if it applies to women's basketball as well as men's, about which BullBoy was posting, it might affect Ohio and Kent State. If Ohio wins, they would be 10-9, and Kent State would be 9-11. Since the two teams would not be tied in either the win or the loss column, the rule would not apply, and Ohio would make the tournament as at least the 8th seed (possibly higher depending on other results Saturday).

But if Ohio loses, Kent State would be 10-10, and Ohio 9-10. That looks like Kent State would be in with a better winning percentage, and Ohio out. But the pandemic rule treats the two teams as if they were tied, and tiebreakers go into effect. If the tie were only between the two teams, Ohio would get in, because the two teams split head-to-head but Ohio has the "best" win with a victory over #1 Toledo.

However, there will be more than one team with a 10-10 record after Saturday, since four teams already have 10 wins and two of them (Ball State and NIU) play each other. So if Kent State wins on Saturday, they would be tied on actual record with at least one, and possibly as many as three, teams, as well as being "tied" with Ohio due to the pandemic rule. Multi-team tiebreakers would then go into effect. I haven't tried to break that tie due to the many possibilities, but it's worth noting that Ohio is 0-2 against both NIU and WMU, and 2-0 against BGSU.

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,182

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 3/3/2022 11:22:36 AM 
Thanks, Joe, for all that detail on tie-breakers and the pandemic rule. It's enough to make my head spin.

Didn't I hear Marty say on the broadcast that the decision to play Guice was made in consultation with her family? That made it sound like she didn't really want to stay around for six years and wants her eligibility to end when she would be targeted for graduation. Doesn't sound all that strange to me. Not everyone is like BVP and wants to play through two master's degrees, and perhaps, the start of a Ph.D. program next year! ;-)


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
WxM
General User

Member Since: 1/21/2020
Post Count: 66

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Women's Basketball 2021-22
   Posted: 3/3/2022 11:28:11 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Thanks, Joe, for all that detail on tie-breakers and the pandemic rule. It's enough to make my head spin.

Didn't I hear Marty say on the broadcast that the decision to play Guice was made in consultation with her family? That made it sound like she didn't really want to stay around for six years and wants her eligibility to end when she would be targeted for graduation. Doesn't sound all that strange to me. Not everyone is like BVP and wants to play through two master's degrees, and perhaps, the start of a Ph.D. program next year! ;-)

Saw a clip of her speaking with Jake H. She said lots of her family members wanted her to sit out the rest of this year, since it was only two games guaranteed. A couple of times she repeated the phrase, "the best decision for me." Apparently she believes the best decision for her is to get done with this phase of her life sooner rather than later.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  151 - 175  of 199 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties