Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball Recruiting
Topic:  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer

Topic:  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
Author
Message
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,767

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 5/10/2016 10:59:49 AM 
OU_Country wrote:
Reading Sterling Manley's recruitment thread, and a comment Rodney Culver made has made me ponder on something. Typically, how much does being one of the first in on the recruiting process come into play on what a player makes a decision?

Because UB recently offered, and Miami, Kent, and Toledo have within the MAC as well, I'm wondering how much the fact that Ohio has been talking to him the longest comes into play? I'm just curious to the thoughts of some on here based on past observations. It seems like Saul & Co. are very high on Manley.






Oh I'm sure it plays a huge part of it. That and staying committed to them and letting them know how much you want them. DJ Cooper comes to mind in this regard.

Back to Top
  
brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Post Count: 1,621

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 5/10/2016 9:01:59 PM 
OU-C, I think it is important to be there first, particularly if your are first among equals. But being first doesn't matter if Ohio offers a kid, but then Duke and Carolina do too.

What's more important is if you like the kid, sticking with him after he's injured. I would expect that Saul showed this kid a LOT of love after he went down this winter.

Perfect case in point is on the womens' side, when the girl we got from New Albany signed. I think she missed an entire season. Had committed to a big school, but they got cold feet and cut her loose. Bolden continued to go after her. The result, she has a great senior year, named first team D-1 all Ohio, and is heading to Athens...
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,767

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 5/11/2016 7:11:21 AM 
brucecuth wrote:
OU-C, I think it is important to be there first, particularly if your are first among equals. But being first doesn't matter if Ohio offers a kid, but then Duke and Carolina do too.

What's more important is if you like the kid, sticking with him after he's injured. I would expect that Saul showed this kid a LOT of love after he went down this winter.

Perfect case in point is on the womens' side, when the girl we got from New Albany signed. I think she missed an entire season. Had committed to a big school, but they got cold feet and cut her loose. Bolden continued to go after her. The result, she has a great senior year, named first team D-1 all Ohio, and is heading to Athens...


Another example: Doug Taylor.

Back to Top
  
Bobcat61
General User

Member Since: 5/24/2005
Post Count: 209

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 5/12/2016 6:37:01 PM 
Watch when he follows his older sister( now a soph ) at Xavier

Don't bet your rent money------ only everything else

Want to read great central Ohio basketball------

Get 270Hoops. It is free

Zach Fleer is the best in the business
Back to Top
  
brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Post Count: 1,621

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 5/26/2016 9:25:31 PM 
Manley receives offer from X, per Zach Fleer...
Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On the road between Athens and Madison County
Post Count: 7,728

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 5/27/2016 10:50:28 AM 
brucecuth wrote:
Manley receives offer from X, per Zach Fleer...



Well crap. That's a tough one to beat there. Sister at X, enormous basketball school. Let's hope they don't have the program of study he's interested in.

Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,767

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 6/1/2016 12:40:44 PM 
Verbal commits officially showing new offers from Xavier and ODU.

Last Edited: 6/1/2016 12:44:21 PM by GoCats105

Back to Top
  
bornacatfan
General User



Member Since: 8/3/2006
Post Count: 5,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 6/8/2016 9:48:46 PM 
GoCats105 wrote:
brucecuth wrote:
OU-C, I think it is important to be there first, particularly if your are first among equals. But being first doesn't matter if Ohio offers a kid, but then Duke and Carolina do too.

What's more important is if you like the kid, sticking with him after he's injured. I would expect that Saul showed this kid a LOT of love after he went down this winter.

Perfect case in point is on the womens' side, when the girl we got from New Albany signed. I think she missed an entire season. Had committed to a big school, but they got cold feet and cut her loose. Bolden continued to go after her. The result, she has a great senior year, named first team D-1 all Ohio, and is heading to Athens...


Another example: Doug Taylor.



Hmmm... another example Will Thomas.....oh yeah....big school swoops in late...look familiat?

To X....would not be a bad decision for him. SuX for us.

Last Edited: 6/8/2016 9:54:38 PM by bornacatfan


never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Winter comes and asks how you spent your summer.....

The game loves and rewards those who love and reward the game

Back to Top
  
brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Post Count: 1,621

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 6/13/2016 3:26:36 PM 
Offer from Dayton, per PickCentral twitter. Sadly, I think he's beginning to move away from out price range...
Back to Top
  
RSBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,052

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 6/13/2016 10:31:48 PM 
Surprised an awesome sports player name post has yet to come up.......

Saul could still have a shot - This could be a REAL fun place to play for 4 years (less if get early NBA draft look - that could likely happens here faster than UD, X, or IU - eh?)


RS Bobcat

Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 5,272

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 6/13/2016 10:35:35 PM 
? Not following you RS.
Back to Top
  
brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Post Count: 1,621

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 6/14/2016 6:04:41 PM 
RSBobcat wrote:
Surprised an awesome sports player name post has yet to come up.......

Saul could still have a shot - This could be a REAL fun place to play for 4 years (less if get early NBA draft look - that could likely happens here faster than UD, X, or IU - eh?)


Here we go again. Often when we recruit a kid, and he starts getting offers from larger or better or more publicized schools, posters start the why-would-he-wanna-go-there argument. They'll hint that maybe he'd get more playing time early at Ohio, which of course in a way denigrates his talents by hinting that maybe he's not good enough to play at those other schools, at least not right away.

Why would Manley wanna go to an X or UD? Because if he's the competitor I think he is, one thing he'll consider is the competition he'll face. Competitors wanna measure themselves against the best, and face it, the MAC is not the best. Year in and year out, X and UD play better schedules.

And oh yes, these are fun places to play too. UD sells out every home game, with an average attendance of almost 13,000, with a tremendous atmosphere. X's average is over 10,000. Ours is barely 6000, average, which means on some nites it's a lot less.

Look, if Saul really wants this kid, let's go get him! But let's also recognize that there are very legitimate reasons for him to look at, and possibly accept, another offer.

Finally, Manley and the NBA in the same sentence? Just stop it.

Last Edited: 6/14/2016 9:29:07 PM by brucecuth

Back to Top
  
RSBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,052

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 6/15/2016 9:06:20 PM 
Jeff McKinney wrote:
? Not following you RS.


Per the no name comments - Common topic over the years on BA - Great sports names and/or unique/strange names (i.e. Spindle Graves). "Sterling" (i.e. exceptional) "Manley" (i.e. Stud). A little league baseball teammate of mine for years when I was a kid had a great baseball name - "Buddy Crank" (yes - he hit it hard).

Per Saul could have a chance - Why not? If the kid has game and that is his goal - with potential for more early career PT here vs the top tier teams could be an advantage - he would not be the first at OHIO or in the MAC to have that happen. The odds of course pretty slim - but I would not count Saul (or OHIO University) totally out quite yet. Especially after a full day here with my son and Bobcat Orientation. Wow - OHIO put on a Great Show - Impressive!

Last Edited: 6/15/2016 9:06:52 PM by RSBobcat


RS Bobcat

Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,767

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 6/16/2016 7:37:07 AM 
brucecuth wrote:
RSBobcat wrote:
Surprised an awesome sports player name post has yet to come up.......

Saul could still have a shot - This could be a REAL fun place to play for 4 years (less if get early NBA draft look - that could likely happens here faster than UD, X, or IU - eh?)


Here we go again. Often when we recruit a kid, and he starts getting offers from larger or better or more publicized schools, posters start the why-would-he-wanna-go-there argument. They'll hint that maybe he'd get more playing time early at Ohio, which of course in a way denigrates his talents by hinting that maybe he's not good enough to play at those other schools, at least not right away.

Why would Manley wanna go to an X or UD? Because if he's the competitor I think he is, one thing he'll consider is the competition he'll face. Competitors wanna measure themselves against the best, and face it, the MAC is not the best. Year in and year out, X and UD play better schedules.

And oh yes, these are fun places to play too. UD sells out every home game, with an average attendance of almost 13,000, with a tremendous atmosphere. X's average is over 10,000. Ours is barely 6000, average, which means on some nites it's a lot less.

Look, if Saul really wants this kid, let's go get him! But let's also recognize that there are very legitimate reasons for him to look at, and possibly accept, another offer.

Finally, Manley and the NBA in the same sentence? Just stop it.



I get your main point, but the attendance numbers thing is skewed. I've been to good Xavier games (Butler, UD, UC) and bad Xavier games (LaSalle, Fordham, URI) and they do not sell out every game. They might say they average over 10K, which is their capacity, but they really don't. Some of those games might have 7K at best. Maybe that's changed since they moved to the Big East from the A-10, but I can't imagine every game averages a capacity sell out.

Back to Top
  
ohio9704
General User

Member Since: 2/11/2006
Post Count: 1,329

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 6/18/2016 3:14:45 PM 
offer from PITT
Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On the road between Athens and Madison County
Post Count: 7,728

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 9/22/2016 4:01:17 PM 
Offers from Mizzou, Tennessee, and Creighton in the last week or so.
Back to Top
  
ohio9704
General User

Member Since: 2/11/2006
Post Count: 1,329

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 9/26/2016 9:24:59 PM 
Offer from UNC
Back to Top
  
brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Post Count: 1,621

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 9/27/2016 11:07:36 AM 
ohio9704 wrote:
Offer from UNC


Yeaaahhh, I think we can close this thread now...

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On the road between Athens and Madison County
Post Count: 7,728

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 9/28/2016 10:42:52 AM 
brucecuth wrote:
ohio9704 wrote:
Offer from UNC


Yeaaahhh, I think we can close this thread now...




And with it the debate on the caliber of talent Saul & staff are recruiting.


Back to Top
  
OUVan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Bethesda, MD
Post Count: 5,425

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 9/29/2016 9:08:03 AM 
OU_Country wrote:



And with it the debate on the caliber of talent Saul & staff are recruiting.




Personally, I think the play of Block, Dartis and Taylor last year should have done that.
Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On the road between Athens and Madison County
Post Count: 7,728

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 9/29/2016 9:15:24 AM 
OUVan wrote:
OU_Country wrote:


And with it the debate on the caliber of talent Saul & staff are recruiting.



Personally, I think the play of Block, Dartis and Taylor last year should have done that.


You'll get no argument from me on that.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,363

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 9/29/2016 3:28:23 PM 
However, none of those were offered by a school in the class of UNC.

Speaking of which, having seen Manley on a couple of occasions, I'm surprised UNC has offered. Any verification of this?
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,767

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 9/30/2016 8:48:00 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
However, none of those were offered by a school in the class of UNC.

Speaking of which, having seen Manley on a couple of occasions, I'm surprised UNC has offered. Any verification of this?


http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/sterling-manley



Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,363

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 9/30/2016 9:34:30 AM 
GoCats105,

I don't follow these offers on these various sites. Do you think they are
accurate? Is this info provided by the recruit or the school? I would be more inclined to believe it if it's the school that is putting this out.
Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 6,648

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2017 6'8" PF Sterling Manley (Pickerington Central HS) - Ohio Offer
   Posted: 9/30/2016 9:45:34 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
GoCats105,

I don't follow these offers on these various sites. Do you think they are
accurate? Is this info provided by the recruit or the school? I would be more inclined to believe it if it's the school that is putting this out.


From the Columbus Dispatch: http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2016/09/3...


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 50  of 67 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball Recruiting' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2021 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties