Ohio Football
Topic:  Chances of football being canceled for 2020

Topic:  Chances of football being canceled for 2020
Author
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004

Message Not Read  Chances of football being canceled for 2020
   Posted: 3/23/2020 8:36:46 AM 
I think we're looking at a very real possibility of football being shut down for a year if this crisis extends into the summer months. The financial meltdown will seriously stress most universities, which are over-leveraged as it is.

Last Edited: 3/23/2020 8:38:19 AM by SBH

Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010

Message Not Read  RE: Chances of football being canceled for 2020
   Posted: 3/23/2020 11:07:14 AM 
I'm guessing that at least the first month will be cancelled. If they're looking for a July or August peak for Covid-19, it would likely be September before practice can begin. But I do expect there to be at least a partial season. The NCAA is hurting for cash with the loss of March Madness. They have too much money in TV rights fees to cancel the entire football season if they can help it. If the full season is cancelled the NCAA would have to either refund some of the rights fees or extend the contracts. Neither option helps them.

We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005

Posted: 3/23/2020 1:13:33 PM 
I expect it to be cancelled.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ― Epictetus

Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004

Posted: 3/23/2020 2:00:18 PM 
SBH wrote:
I think we're looking at a very real possibility of football being shut down for a year if this crisis extends into the summer months. The financial meltdown will seriously stress most universities, which are over-leveraged as it is.

Are you saying from a financial standpoint or from a health and safety issue?

allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006

Posted: 3/23/2020 2:38:39 PM 
Hopefully, we have a vaccine in place soon. This is a real possibility though

Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

SBH
General User

Posted: 3/23/2020 2:40:40 PM 
All informed authorities (excepting Trump) say a vaccine is a year away at best.

I think cancellation will be driven by health issues. Very real possibility there is no on-campus Fall quarter.

Andrew Ruck
General User

Member Since: 12/22/2004

Posted: 3/24/2020 10:56:26 AM 
Japan/Korean/Chinese pro leagues are starting back up. Could be a good indication that we'll get going by mid-summer and not disrupt football.

Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

ytownbobcat
General User

Member Since: 8/7/2006

Posted: 3/29/2020 9:54:08 AM 
I think that there is little chance college football is cancelled.Summer workout sessions and fall camp could be curtailed.

rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006

Posted: 3/29/2020 12:47:41 PM 
ytownbobcat wrote:
I think that there is little chance college football is cancelled.Summer workout sessions and fall camp could be curtailed.

There's an article in today's The Record by Steve Berkowitz of USA Today discussing this.

Friday night the NCAA and two of their medical professionals discussed the Covid-19 situation.

Right now the NCAA is focused on what activities athletes can do now,while
following Social Distancing and other rules.

The article talks about when ,by following what other countries are doing,team
activities can resume.

No mention of any impact on the actual football season.

BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012

Posted: 3/29/2020 3:41:48 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
ytownbobcat wrote:

There's an article in today's The Record by Steve Berkowitz of USA Today discussing this.

Friday night the NCAA and two of their medical professionals discussed the Covid-19 situation.

Right now the NCAA is focused on what activities athletes can do now,while
following Social Distancing and other rules.

The article talks about when ,by following what other countries are doing,team
activities can resume.

No mention of any impact on the actual football season.

Is the Bobcat weight room still open, last week a couple poster hinted that it was and workouts still progressing if you knew the right people?

SBH
General User

Posted: 3/31/2020 7:50:44 PM 
Dean of students at Miami has indicated that it is possible there will be no on-campus instruction this fall. I'd say likelihood of 2020 season is declining.

Alan Swank
General User

Posted: 3/31/2020 8:00:50 PM 
SBH wrote:
Dean of students at Miami has indicated that it is possible there will be no on-campus instruction this fall. I'd say likelihood of 2020 season is declining.

Posted under General OU discussion:

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200330/coronavirus-not-cl...

L.C.
General User

Posted: 4/1/2020 11:10:00 AM 
If everyone actually followed the self-isolation guidelines, it is possible that this could be largely defeated in 5-12 weeks. The lower we can get the R0, the faster it can be stopped. However, the US is a free country, and that can't/won't happen. There will be people that think self-isolation is silly, and who won't do it, or people that think self-isolation is only for the elderly or infirm, and won't do it. There will be people that think they know better, and who will deliberately host super spreader events:
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/04/01/pittsburgh-pas... /

Enough people will refuse to follow the guidelines to keep the R0 above 1. (R0 is the number of persons, on average, that each infected person infects. If it is under 1, it dies out. 1 is steady state. Above one, it is growing.) If R0 stays above one, and I think it will, we will have to stay in self isolation to some degree for the full 18 months until there is a vaccine, and the death toll will continue to rise, far, far exceeding the 200,000 estimate, which is based on people actually following the guidelines. Also, the damage to the economy will be immense from the fact that we won't be able to ever end the social isolation mandate.

No, I don't think there will be football this fall. Hopefully there will be a vaccine, and there will be football in 2021, however.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ― Epictetus

UpSan Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 8/30/2005

Posted: 4/1/2020 11:31:20 AM 
China is returning to close to normalcy after three or four months. There are new cases, which seem to be almost entirely people entering the country. Will there be another outbreak now that they are relaxing requirements? Is there some other reason why it would affect America longer? I really have no idea. I don't know if anyone knows what to expect for sure.

Alan Swank
General User

Posted: 4/1/2020 1:58:43 PM 
UpSan Bobcat wrote:
China is returning to close to normalcy after three or four months. There are new cases, which seem to be almost entirely people entering the country. Will there be another outbreak now that they are relaxing requirements? Is there some other reason why it would affect America longer? I really have no idea. I don't know if anyone knows what to expect for sure.

The difference is the forced isolation in China. Our freedoms may doom us some day.

L.C.
General User

Posted: 4/1/2020 5:53:42 PM 
Here are the IMHE forecasts:
https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

They call for 97,000 deaths by August 1, with a range between 40,000 and 180,000. These assumptions to not take into account anything after that, including a possible return of the virus in the Fall.

Robert Fox
General User

Member Since: 11/16/2004

Posted: 4/1/2020 6:03:36 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
Our freedoms may doom us some day.

What is the alternative? Are we looking at China with envy?

L.C.
General User

Posted: 4/1/2020 8:21:15 PM 
Robert Fox wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:

I think more with sadness, recognizing that it is inevitable that what we have will end someday, and it's replacement will most likely look more like China.

Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010

Posted: 4/2/2020 6:40:56 PM 
The Dispatch ran a story the other day about O$U's 1918 football schedule that was shortened by the flu pandemic that year. The schedule was about cut in half and they wound up playing three or four games because of interstate travel restrictions. They played a couple of games, then games were cancelled for about a month. They were able to play a November game against Denison but a game at Northwestern the next week was cancelled.

Because "stay home" orders are being left up to the states, we might see some parts of the country opening up by late summer but others might still be pretty much shut into the fall. If that's the case, the MAC may be in the best position to at least play a full conference schedule. The MAC has only five states to deal with -- Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and New York. It's the most compact conference in 1A. The rest of the conferences are a lot more spread out than the MAC.

We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004

Posted: 4/2/2020 7:27:14 PM 
L.C. wrote:
Here are the IMHE forecasts:
https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

They call for 97,000 deaths by August 1, with a range between 40,000 and 180,000. These assumptions to not take into account anything after that, including a possible return of the virus in the Fall.

Can't emphasize this enough. Most health experts, for what it's worth, expect the virus to have a second wave this fall. What happens when the first D-1 player tests positive (and we'll be doing a LOT more testing by then)?

Alan Swank
General User

Posted: 4/3/2020 10:07:50 AM 
Robert Fox wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:

Good question. Personal responsibility. I know that looks different to different people but we as a society have to realize that the rules pertain to everyone. Classic example. I can see the stop sign at the corner from where I type. It's amazing in a residential neighborhood with one way in (East State Street) and one way out, how many people blatantly disregard the stop sign. I'm not talking about a rolling stop but just driving right through at 20 mph. Rules are in place for a reason. When people don't follow them is when we get what we think we know about what they are doing in China.

SBH
General User

Posted: 4/3/2020 10:13:30 AM 
If school is shut down in the fall, there will be a world of hurt. This might include suspension of all ICA activities/programs for 2020-21, IMO. The financial implications for the overall institution (and all universities) will be too serious to continue to invest $$ in sports.

Alan Swank
General User

Posted: 4/3/2020 11:49:01 AM 
SBH wrote:
If school is shut down in the fall, there will be a world of hurt. This might include suspension of all ICA activities/programs for 2020-21, IMO. The financial implications for the overall institution (and all universities) will be too serious to continue to invest $$ in sports.

Considering that student fees support so many sports programs, without those fees, there won't be money in the budget to field teams.

https://www.journalgazette.net/sports/colleges/20200403/o...

BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012

Posted: 4/3/2020 1:15:09 PM 
SBH wrote:

In the article linked in ant other thread about Miami, they mentioned they are off 20% in admissions this year. I know in February we were down 10% in year over year applications, these numbers may skyrocket.

On another note, one of Athletics most vocal critics has reportedly told her students they all get As and shes not doing any on-line work.

Alan Swank
General User

Posted: 4/3/2020 2:21:27 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
SBH wrote:

In the article linked in ant other thread about Miami, they mentioned they are off 20% in admissions this year. I know in February we were down 10% in year over year applications, these numbers may skyrocket.

On another note, one of Athletics most vocal critics has reportedly told her students they all get As and shes not doing any on-line work.

Breaking news:

https://www.thepostathens.com/article/2020/04/summer-cour...

Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 31 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics

Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties