Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?

Topic:  Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
Author
Message
RPKirtland
General User

Member Since: 10/14/2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Count: 233

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 2/22/2024 1:32:50 PM 
Wild story:

https://twitter.com/JustinGarciaFL/status/176073146046053...

Is this the first BobcatAttack poster to receive federal charges?

Lord knows there's about another 10 of you that probably deserve them...


Went a little too far west, let's go SJ Earthquakes!

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,471

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 2/22/2024 3:57:01 PM 
Damn hate to hear this!!
Back to Top
  
MedinaCat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Lakewood, OH
Post Count: 740

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 2/22/2024 5:23:57 PM 
RPKirtland wrote:
Wild story:

https://twitter.com/JustinGarciaFL/status/176073146046053...

Is this the first BobcatAttack poster to receive federal charges?

Lord knows there's about another 10 of you that probably deserve them...


Pretty sure Bud Householder posted on the original version of Bobcatattack.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,471

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 2/22/2024 6:15:32 PM 
MedinaCat wrote:
RPKirtland wrote:
Wild story:

https://twitter.com/JustinGarciaFL/status/176073146046053...

Is this the first BobcatAttack poster to receive federal charges?

Lord knows there's about another 10 of you that probably deserve them...


Pretty sure Bud Householder posted on the original version of Bobcatattack.


Seriously? Well he wins the prize. At least Tim has a defense and hopefully the Constitution behind him. Householder was straight up crook that stole tax dollars for next 30 years.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 9,152

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 2/22/2024 11:02:49 PM 
Here's the Washington Post article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/media/2024/02/22/tim... /


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 3,504

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 2/23/2024 7:14:03 AM 
The story is all over the internet.

Just Google "Tim Burke".
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,696

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 2/23/2024 8:25:49 AM 
We had a thread about this, didn't we? At the time all we had was Burke's defense and no details of the indictment.

Here is a good acticle that outlines tha main points - https://www.tampabay.com/news/2024/02/23/tampa-tim-burke-... /


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,471

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 2/23/2024 4:19:44 PM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
We had a thread about this, didn't we? At the time all we had was Burke's defense and no details of the indictment.

Here is a good acticle that outlines tha main points - https://www.tampabay.com/news/2024/02/23/tampa-tim-burke-... /



Seems from at least two places I read today that the Feds hang a lot of weight on the fact they do not call him a journalist. Their claim there may be a stretch given the work heís done over the years and the modern age of digital media.
Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 6,341

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 2/25/2024 2:46:34 AM 
RPKirtland wrote:
Is this the first BobcatAttack poster to receive federal charges?


Do they have had to be registered to BA at the time?


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,696

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 3/11/2024 4:12:14 PM 
And now Burke's former employer Deadspin is dead.

Since we are already in Siberia, I will say it. Deadspin is a great case study in how to ruin a perfectly good thing by unnecessarily turning political, a transition Burke was a big part of at Deadspin.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
mf279801
General User

Member Since: 8/6/2010
Location: Newark, DE
Post Count: 2,452

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 3/11/2024 7:14:40 PM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
And now Burke's former employer Deadspin is dead.

Since we are already in Siberia, I will say it. Deadspin is a great case study in how to ruin a perfectly good thing by unnecessarily turning political, a transition Burke was a big part of at Deadspin.


Turns out that defending your right to publish a Hulk Hogan sex tape by proclaiming (vehemently) that you'd love to publish an 8-year old's sex tape also isn't a great idea
Back to Top
  
Donuts
General User

Member Since: 9/22/2010
Post Count: 715

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 3/12/2024 7:49:34 AM 
At least Burke hasnít lost his ability to be a smug, Iím smarter than everyone person. He is the poster child for why Deadspin fell out of popularity. At some point, that persona and outlook on the world is exhausting. He was always looking for the next clip to try to deliver a one-liner as a constantly online person.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,749

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 3/12/2024 8:41:59 AM 
I in no way believe Tim Burke is a "journalist." Accessing - through legal or illegal means - video or other private content for presentation with zero context is a form of hacking IMO.


Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 6,115

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 3/12/2024 9:27:09 AM 
Donuts wrote:
At least Burke hasnít lost his ability to be a smug, Iím smarter than everyone person. He is the poster child for why Deadspin fell out of popularity. At some point, that persona and outlook on the world is exhausting. He was always looking for the next clip to try to deliver a one-liner as a constantly online person.


Constantly online person? That's his job. He's an expert in digital media and people pay him to find and archive video.

Deadspin was at its height with Burke a part of it. It built an audience of people who liked sports but were also not afraid to be cynical about sports culture. Turns out there's a lot of overlap with that audience and people who are cynical and critical of politics, culture, and media. Typically left-leaning people. No one returned to Deadspin because they stuck to sports. If you want talented editorial content that celebrates sports, you have plenty of other options. Did you ever see Burke's Sinclair Media video? It was a huge traffic driver for Deadspin yet has nothing to do with sports.

Deadspin's downfall truly begins when they were purchased by G/O Media. A very common story for media companies is their eventual sale to a venture capital firm that has little to no interest in the story or the mission of the properties they are buying. That was the case with G/O media and their CEO.

If you're really wanting to dig deep on this, I highly recommend former editor Megan Greenwell's article The Adults in the Room that describes just how exactly new ownership siphoned any value out of the company while simultaneously not understanding what they owned or how it worked. It's been scrubbed from the Deadspin site, but she does have it up on her own site:

https://www.megangreenwell.com/the-adults-in-the-room


It also didn't help that a very common refrain when an athlete discusses anything remotely in the political arena, especially if it's left-leaning, is "stick to sports." Well, the staff took that and rebelled against the Stick to Sports mandate. G/O responded by firing the editor, and the staff resigned en masse. Burke had already left for other ventures by this point but remained friendly with that staff.

Or you can hear Burke talk about this situation himself in this interview with the Scripps School: https://youtu.be/HSNP1iKH2SU?si=n4wztpZCpxP45PgM&t=693

Months later, they reformed under the company Defector, which is employee-owned and carries on much of the spirit of the old Deadspin. Despite launching during the pandemic, they've managed to survive and thrive. Deadspin had no constituency anymore. As a long term reader I jumped ship along with all the staff after the ĎStick to Sportsí debacle. Without the original readers it really left only SEO optimized crap yet still remained a punching bag for the conservative opponents.

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 6,115

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 3/12/2024 9:28:20 AM 
SBH wrote:
I in no way believe Tim Burke is a "journalist." Accessing - through legal or illegal means - video or other private content for presentation with zero context is a form of hacking IMO.




The content wasn't private. If you had the URL, you could access it.
Back to Top
  
Donuts
General User

Member Since: 9/22/2010
Post Count: 715

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 3/12/2024 10:15:21 AM 
He was and is exhausting. Being cynical about everything, 24/7, is only going to appeal to a very small fraction of the population. One of the worst things about social media, and the online culture in general, is that a lot of journalists had this new platform to be amateur comedians with bad one-liners. Deadspin was the very extreme version of it. Burke is the poster child of this.
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,696

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 3/12/2024 1:04:58 PM 
Got to agree with a lot of what Donuts said, I have already stated my dislike for Burke's entire vibe even from before we was a public (ish) figure. The entire Daily Show like genre of "comedy" where they just take out of context clips and quotes to make political points, throw in a few curse words and some sarcasm and call it "comedy"...I just find it all ridiculous and tiresome.

But I also appreciate the insights offered by shab on the history of deadspin. I was not aware of most of that, and it sounds like it didn't help.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,284

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 3/12/2024 1:29:13 PM 
I never paid much attention to Burke or Deadspin.

It seems like a lot of people here don't like him. But that's not a reason to send somebody to jail for 60 years.

It sounds like he was sent this link by somebody who found it publicly published online, and used it to report on how Fox News & Tucker Carlson edited the content of that Kanye West interview.

Journalists rely on leaked documents constantly. Feels like a very slippery slope for journalism if you start to define accessing any digital media that lives behind a password as illegal hacking.

Let's take a very famous instance of investigative journalism: the Boston Globe was leaked documents that showed that the Archbishop of Boston had covered up accusations against a priest who had repeatedly molested children. Back then, "leaking" a doc meant a person gave it to them physically. Let's say that took place in 2023 and the same source that leaked those documents sent reporters at the Globe a link to access those documents. Is that hacking?

To me, it feels like a pretty slippery slope to say with certainty it is.

Back to Top
  
ts1227
General User

Member Since: 2/28/2006
Location: Tallmadge, OH
Post Count: 853

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 3/16/2024 9:24:44 PM 
shabamon wrote:
Donuts wrote:
At least Burke hasnít lost his ability to be a smug, Iím smarter than everyone person. He is the poster child for why Deadspin fell out of popularity. At some point, that persona and outlook on the world is exhausting. He was always looking for the next clip to try to deliver a one-liner as a constantly online person.


Constantly online person? That's his job. He's an expert in digital media and people pay him to find and archive video.

Deadspin was at its height with Burke a part of it. It built an audience of people who liked sports but were also not afraid to be cynical about sports culture. Turns out there's a lot of overlap with that audience and people who are cynical and critical of politics, culture, and media. Typically left-leaning people. No one returned to Deadspin because they stuck to sports. If you want talented editorial content that celebrates sports, you have plenty of other options. Did you ever see Burke's Sinclair Media video? It was a huge traffic driver for Deadspin yet has nothing to do with sports.

Deadspin's downfall truly begins when they were purchased by G/O Media. A very common story for media companies is their eventual sale to a venture capital firm that has little to no interest in the story or the mission of the properties they are buying. That was the case with G/O media and their CEO.

If you're really wanting to dig deep on this, I highly recommend former editor Megan Greenwell's article The Adults in the Room that describes just how exactly new ownership siphoned any value out of the company while simultaneously not understanding what they owned or how it worked. It's been scrubbed from the Deadspin site, but she does have it up on her own site:

https://www.megangreenwell.com/the-adults-in-the-room


It also didn't help that a very common refrain when an athlete discusses anything remotely in the political arena, especially if it's left-leaning, is "stick to sports." Well, the staff took that and rebelled against the Stick to Sports mandate. G/O responded by firing the editor, and the staff resigned en masse. Burke had already left for other ventures by this point but remained friendly with that staff.

Or you can hear Burke talk about this situation himself in this interview with the Scripps School: https://youtu.be/HSNP1iKH2SU?si=n4wztpZCpxP45PgM&t=693

Months later, they reformed under the company Defector, which is employee-owned and carries on much of the spirit of the old Deadspin. Despite launching during the pandemic, they've managed to survive and thrive. Deadspin had no constituency anymore. As a long term reader I jumped ship along with all the staff after the ĎStick to Sportsí debacle. Without the original readers it really left only SEO optimized crap yet still remained a punching bag for the conservative opponents.




I followed Deadspin probably starting in 06-07, I believe Leitch started it in 2005. Most of what you said hits it - the angle they came in with made for enjoyable reading, it was the same stuff covered elsewhere with a little bit of cynicism and snark.

As you mentioned, thatís going to wade into political or cultural waters sometimes, which was no big deal. I do have to say in the couple years before Hulk Hoganís dong sunk them that they did lean into the politics much heavier than in the past, and that does (and did) get tiring fast. I was reading it less before it exploded, and I generally line up with their political views. Now, the solution wasnít to go to the other extreme, it was to work it back to the sweet spot that worked. I think both G/O and the staff that walked were both idiots.




Last Edited: 3/16/2024 9:25:45 PM by ts1227

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 6,341

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 3/17/2024 6:01:45 PM 
Just a point of clarification that Gawker, not Deadspin, published the Hulk Hogan tape.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
ts1227
General User

Member Since: 2/28/2006
Location: Tallmadge, OH
Post Count: 853

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Tim Burke Hit With FBI Charges?!?
   Posted: 3/17/2024 10:13:26 PM 
JSF wrote:
Just a point of clarification that Gawker, not Deadspin, published the Hulk Hogan tape.


Correct, Deadspin was collateral damage being under their umbrella at the time.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 21  of 21 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties