Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  Faculty vote no confidence in Gee

Topic:  Faculty vote no confidence in Gee
Author
Message
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 2,624

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Faculty vote no confidence in Gee
   Posted: 9/7/2023 6:58:33 AM 
https://pge.post-gazette.com/.pf/showstory/202309060134/3

Saying his actions will harm the university.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 14,016

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Faculty vote no confidence in Gee
   Posted: 9/7/2023 10:35:22 AM 
giacomo wrote:
https://pge.post-gazette.com/.pf/showstory/202309060134/3

Saying his actions will harm the university.


How this guy ever got as many presidential gigs has he has will always be a mystery to me. Though this is very impressionistic, he always seemed like a caricature of a college president to me.


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
OUPride
General User

Member Since: 9/21/2010
Post Count: 562

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Faculty vote no confidence in Gee
   Posted: 9/7/2023 10:42:42 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
giacomo wrote:
https://pge.post-gazette.com/.pf/showstory/202309060134/3

Saying his actions will harm the university.


How this guy ever got as many presidential gigs has he has will always be a mystery to me. Though this is very impressionistic, he always seemed like a caricature of a college president to me.


Being a huckster and shameless self-promoter who walked into the perfect situation--Ohio State at the end of the 80s when all the hard work had already been done and ready for him to take credit for the results.
Back to Top
  
Campus Flow
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,952

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Faculty vote no confidence in Gee
   Posted: 9/7/2023 10:46:04 AM 
10 million of that 45 million is attributed to higher insurance premiums. The medical costs of faculty are then transferred over to what families have to pay to attend college. A single payer system or even a system where you rolled over to medicare at age 50 or 55 would save universities a lot of money.

OU went through a cuts cycle 3 years ago and has done so before. What is different in Ohio is the state has 12 million people and can easily support 5 or 6 state universities at capacity. Toledo, Cleveland St, Akron, Wright are really struggling. OU is in that middle zone where its competitive to bring the students in the door against Miami, UC, OSU and Kent State. OSU can lower its standards if need be to fill out its freshman class targets with no problem and without impact to its reputation. This is a problem for Miami because the whole attraction of going there is its a higher ranked college.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 14,016

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Faculty vote no confidence in Gee
   Posted: 9/7/2023 10:56:44 AM 
OUPride wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
giacomo wrote:
https://pge.post-gazette.com/.pf/showstory/202309060134/3

Saying his actions will harm the university.


How this guy ever got as many presidential gigs has he has will always be a mystery to me. Though this is very impressionistic, he always seemed like a caricature of a college president to me.


Being a huckster and shameless self-promoter who walked into the perfect situation--Ohio State at the end of the 80s when all the hard work had already been done and ready for him to take credit for the results.


Though others on here will disagree, I think you and I might agree that your description of Gee fits Vernon Alden relatively well. Baker set the ground work and started the University's growth spurt. Then, Alden came along and used the nationwide student enrollment surge to shamelessly self promote, with the help his crack-PR crew, a image of this wonder-working college president who was taking a backwaters school in the foothills of the Alleghenies to world prominence. It was mostly smoke and mirrors.

[Let me add that Alden did do one good thing. It's a long story that only SBH and bobcatsquared would be interest in, but I would never have met my wonderful wife it it wasn't for Vern the Fern, as we use to call him.]


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
OUPride
General User

Member Since: 9/21/2010
Post Count: 562

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Faculty vote no confidence in Gee
   Posted: 9/7/2023 11:21:06 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
OUPride wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
giacomo wrote:
https://pge.post-gazette.com/.pf/showstory/202309060134/3

Saying his actions will harm the university.


How this guy ever got as many presidential gigs has he has will always be a mystery to me. Though this is very impressionistic, he always seemed like a caricature of a college president to me.


Being a huckster and shameless self-promoter who walked into the perfect situation--Ohio State at the end of the 80s when all the hard work had already been done and ready for him to take credit for the results.


Though others on here will disagree, I think you and I might agree that your description of Gee fits Vernon Alden relatively well. Baker set the ground work and started the University's growth spurt. Then, Alden came along and used the nationwide student enrollment surge to shamelessly self promote, with the help his crack-PR crew, a image of this wonder-working college president who was taking a backwaters school in the foothills of the Alleghenies to world prominence. It was mostly smoke and mirrors.

[Let me add that Alden did do one good thing. It's a long story that only SBH and bobcatsquared would be interest in, but I would never have met my wonderful wife it it wasn't for Vern the Fern, as we use to call him.]


I can absolutely see that comparison. I will say that Gee did manage what he was handed well. OSU had equaled Miami in admission stats by the mid 90s and had all the momentum moving forward. He also completed the fundraising campaign that the previous guy had started, which at the time became the largest ever by a public university. He didn't screw things up, but he was in no way some miracle worker who caused it all, which is how he portrayed himself. He seems to have attempted to be that guy at WVU and failed spectacularly.

Back to Top
  
OUPride
General User

Member Since: 9/21/2010
Post Count: 562

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Faculty vote no confidence in Gee
   Posted: 9/7/2023 11:22:48 AM 
Campus Flow wrote:
10 million of that 45 million is attributed to higher insurance premiums. The medical costs of faculty are then transferred over to what families have to pay to attend college. A single payer system or even a system where you rolled over to medicare at age 50 or 55 would save universities a lot of money.

OU went through a cuts cycle 3 years ago and has done so before. What is different in Ohio is the state has 12 million people and can easily support 5 or 6 state universities at capacity. Toledo, Cleveland St, Akron, Wright are really struggling. OU is in that middle zone where its competitive to bring the students in the door against Miami, UC, OSU and Kent State. OSU can lower its standards if need be to fill out its freshman class targets with no problem and without impact to its reputation. This is a problem for Miami because the whole attraction of going there is its a higher ranked college.


I always thought the whole attraction of going to Miami was to be surrounded exclusively by other students who look and think exactly the same way you do.
Back to Top
  
mf279801
General User

Member Since: 8/6/2010
Location: Newark, DE
Post Count: 2,452

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Faculty vote no confidence in Gee
   Posted: 9/9/2023 10:29:21 PM 
Is my cynical self correct in thinking that if you combine a Faculty Senate no-confidence vote with $2, you've got enough to buy a cup of (gas station) coffee?
Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 6,341

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Faculty vote no confidence in Gee
   Posted: 9/10/2023 3:16:18 AM 
Should at Buc-ee's.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 9  of 9 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties