Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution

Topic:  OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
Author
Message
GroverBall
General User

Member Since: 12/3/2012
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 1,189

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 1/31/2022 6:37:00 PM 
Ohio University reaches the top classification level with 140 other institutions:

https://www.ohio.edu/news/2022/01/ohio-university-joins-h...

https://carnegieclassifications.iu.edu/lookup/srp.php?clq...

This is a big deal Bobcats.
Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 5,746

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 1/31/2022 10:43:31 PM 
Great to hear!
Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: CLE
Post Count: 5,422

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/1/2022 6:47:36 AM 
That sounds like quite the honor!

Is this a distinction we've held before or is this a first?


I've seen crazier things happen.

Back to Top
  
GroverBall
General User

Member Since: 12/3/2012
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 1,189

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/1/2022 12:22:56 PM 
The Optimist wrote:
That sounds like quite the honor!

Is this a distinction we've held before or is this a first?


Pretty sure this is a first, I know university administrations have been aiming for higher classification for decades. I believe Dr. Ping led our last jump.
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 3,180

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/1/2022 1:47:29 PM 
Was a little (more then a little actually) surprised to see Kent State and Buffalo on the list.

Don't tend to think of them as high level research institutions.

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,097

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/1/2022 2:03:36 PM 
Not surprised by Buffalo but initially so for Kent until I considered their Liquid Crystals Institute.

Back to Top
  
mf279801
General User

Member Since: 8/6/2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Post Count: 2,338

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/1/2022 4:07:12 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
Was a little (more then a little actually) surprised to see Kent State and Buffalo on the list.

Don't tend to think of them as high level research institutions.



Buffalo certainly is. Don’t think of them as a directional NY school. They’re the flagship of the SUNY system (or co-flagship with Stony Brook). I might be somewhat biased (my graduate degree is from Buffalo), but Buffalo has a substantially higher profile than we do for research

Last Edited: 2/1/2022 4:09:18 PM by mf279801

Back to Top
  
RSBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,218

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/1/2022 9:53:03 PM 
mf279801 wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
Was a little (more then a little actually) surprised to see Kent State and Buffalo on the list.

Don't tend to think of them as high level research institutions.



Buffalo certainly is. Don’t think of them as a directional NY school. They’re the flagship of the SUNY system (or co-flagship with Stony Brook). I might be somewhat biased (my graduate degree is from Buffalo), but Buffalo has a substantially higher profile than we do for research


Yet - In spite of the apparent high level of research - The question lingers - "What is Buffalo?" :)


RS Bobcat

Back to Top
  
mf279801
General User

Member Since: 8/6/2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Post Count: 2,338

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/1/2022 10:13:22 PM 
RSBobcat wrote:
mf279801 wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
Was a little (more then a little actually) surprised to see Kent State and Buffalo on the list.

Don't tend to think of them as high level research institutions.



Buffalo certainly is. Don’t think of them as a directional NY school. They’re the flagship of the SUNY system (or co-flagship with Stony Brook). I might be somewhat biased (my graduate degree is from Buffalo), but Buffalo has a substantially higher profile than we do for research


Yet - In spite of the apparent high level of research - The question lingers - "What is Buffalo?" :)



Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buf...
Back to Top
  
Cellis033
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2021
Location: Powell, OH
Post Count: 857

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/1/2022 11:13:08 PM 
This certification means we are on the same level of research institution as Yale and MIT. TAKE THAT NERDS!

Last Edited: 2/1/2022 11:13:20 PM by Cellis033


Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
O-Zone Leader
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kent read, Kent write, Can't be a state!
Bowling Green isn't a state either.

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 6,074

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/1/2022 11:18:56 PM 
mf279801 wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
Was a little (more then a little actually) surprised to see Kent State and Buffalo on the list.

Don't tend to think of them as high level research institutions.



Buffalo certainly is. Don’t think of them as a directional NY school. They’re the flagship of the SUNY system (or co-flagship with Stony Brook). I might be somewhat biased (my graduate degree is from Buffalo), but Buffalo has a substantially higher profile than we do for research


UB is lowkey a very good school. Got into the AAU a few years ago.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
Recovering Journalist
General User

Member Since: 8/17/2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Post Count: 1,768

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/2/2022 9:27:13 AM 
The State University of New York at Buffalo was also just declared a flagship institution and is the largest in New York. AAU membership is a big deal and Buffalo has the highest academic rankings in the conference. Given all of that, it is truly an outlier in the MAC. On paper, the biggest school in a big state would be a P5 member. In fact, of the 30 most populous states, the only other exception is UMass.
Back to Top
  
Club Hyatt
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,378

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/2/2022 5:50:41 PM 
Recovering Journalist wrote:
The State University of New York at Buffalo was also just declared a flagship institution and is the largest in New York. AAU membership is a big deal and Buffalo has the highest academic rankings in the conference. Given all of that, it is truly an outlier in the MAC. On paper, the biggest school in a big state would be a P5 member. In fact, of the 30 most populous states, the only other exception is UMass.


Buffalo actually is #93 in the latest addition of the USNWR ahead of Fiami. AAU membership they do have but they are on the lower end of that membership which is reevaluated so they could drop back out of it.

MAC generally comprises mid tier universities. Miami of everyone in the MAC had the most momentum of being perceived as a upper tier university but they could never quite get there without med/law schools. They are a very good mid tier university and the same I believe could be said for Buffalo and Ohio.

EMU/Akron are poor excuses for a mid tier university and are using MAC membership to help prop up their images compared to lower tier offerings. At least that is why I felt they've been steadfast about keeping football and staying in the MAC when they feel more like a Horizon League university.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
OUPride
General User

Member Since: 9/21/2010
Post Count: 509

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/2/2022 7:25:59 PM 
Club Hyatt wrote:
Recovering Journalist wrote:
The State University of New York at Buffalo was also just declared a flagship institution and is the largest in New York. AAU membership is a big deal and Buffalo has the highest academic rankings in the conference. Given all of that, it is truly an outlier in the MAC. On paper, the biggest school in a big state would be a P5 member. In fact, of the 30 most populous states, the only other exception is UMass.


Buffalo actually is #93 in the latest addition of the USNWR ahead of Fiami. AAU membership they do have but they are on the lower end of that membership which is reevaluated so they could drop back out of it.

MAC generally comprises mid tier universities. Miami of everyone in the MAC had the most momentum of being perceived as a upper tier university but they could never quite get there without med/law schools. They are a very good mid tier university and the same I believe could be said for Buffalo and Ohio.

EMU/Akron are poor excuses for a mid tier university and are using MAC membership to help prop up their images compared to lower tier offerings. At least that is why I felt they've been steadfast about keeping football and staying in the MAC when they feel more like a Horizon League university.


Here's a good snapshot view of where research universities stand on the food chain using nine metrics that rank everything from research dollars to fundraising to faculty quality and median SAT scores. You can look at a ranking of all universities together or just private or just public. You're right that Buffalo is kind of near the bottom, but I'd guess that Kansas or Missouri would be next up on the chopping block.


https://mup.umass.edu/sites/default/files/mup-2019-top-am...

As for Miami, I've stated it here before. They benefited immensely from their former President rigging the system as Regents Chair in the 60s and 70s to make them the only selective public university in the state. Once they lost that advantage, they've plummeted back to their historical norm of being just another "Four Corners" college. Also, while Fiami lacks a med and law school, they are also a complete non-entity as a Ph.D granting research university.

Anyways, this is a great and significant achievement for Ohio. It's not AAU membership, but it is something truly substantive that will help our national preception, ability to grow our research footprint and to attract students and faculty.

Last Edited: 2/2/2022 7:27:14 PM by OUPride

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,087

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/3/2022 10:23:53 PM 
Now that we are a Tier I research institution, we would now qualify for membership into the Big10. We should move on stadium expansion now and make that move.
Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 3,923

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/4/2022 8:49:37 AM 
Someone help me out here... Is this the same as the Tier ranking that is often used to rank schools? Are we officially a Tier I Research Institution or is that a separate categorization?
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,614

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/5/2022 8:31:35 AM 
Here's a bit more clarity on the matter. I wonder how much of an influence the Edison Center has on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_research_universiti...
Back to Top
  
Club Hyatt
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,378

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/8/2022 7:48:51 AM 
OUPride wrote:
Club Hyatt wrote:
Recovering Journalist wrote:
The State University of New York at Buffalo was also just declared a flagship institution and is the largest in New York. AAU membership is a big deal and Buffalo has the highest academic rankings in the conference. Given all of that, it is truly an outlier in the MAC. On paper, the biggest school in a big state would be a P5 member. In fact, of the 30 most populous states, the only other exception is UMass.


Buffalo actually is #93 in the latest addition of the USNWR ahead of Fiami. AAU membership they do have but they are on the lower end of that membership which is reevaluated so they could drop back out of it.

MAC generally comprises mid tier universities. Miami of everyone in the MAC had the most momentum of being perceived as a upper tier university but they could never quite get there without med/law schools. They are a very good mid tier university and the same I believe could be said for Buffalo and Ohio.

EMU/Akron are poor excuses for a mid tier university and are using MAC membership to help prop up their images compared to lower tier offerings. At least that is why I felt they've been steadfast about keeping football and staying in the MAC when they feel more like a Horizon League university.


Here's a good snapshot view of where research universities stand on the food chain using nine metrics that rank everything from research dollars to fundraising to faculty quality and median SAT scores. You can look at a ranking of all universities together or just private or just public. You're right that Buffalo is kind of near the bottom, but I'd guess that Kansas or Missouri would be next up on the chopping block.


Buffalo is ranked in between Illinois-Chicago and the University of Hawaii in federal research dollars. Significantly below the University of Cincinnati. Its not correct to brand Buffalo as being among the very top universities in the country on the basis of having AAU membership. The same for Ohio with the R1 designation.

I do like the broadening out of the MAC academic reputation over the last couple of decades. Buffalo, Ohio, Kent with the R1s. Medical schools at WMU and CMU. It might not be long before WMU earns a R1 with the 500 million dollar academic gift. Toledo of course is one of the few universities with a medical, law, pharmacy and engineering college.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,187

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OHIO Named Carnegie Research 1 Institution
   Posted: 2/8/2022 10:36:49 AM 
Club Hyatt wrote:
OUPride wrote:
Club Hyatt wrote:
Recovering Journalist wrote:
The State University of New York at Buffalo was also just declared a flagship institution and is the largest in New York. AAU membership is a big deal and Buffalo has the highest academic rankings in the conference. Given all of that, it is truly an outlier in the MAC. On paper, the biggest school in a big state would be a P5 member. In fact, of the 30 most populous states, the only other exception is UMass.


Buffalo actually is #93 in the latest addition of the USNWR ahead of Fiami. AAU membership they do have but they are on the lower end of that membership which is reevaluated so they could drop back out of it.

MAC generally comprises mid tier universities. Miami of everyone in the MAC had the most momentum of being perceived as a upper tier university but they could never quite get there without med/law schools. They are a very good mid tier university and the same I believe could be said for Buffalo and Ohio.

EMU/Akron are poor excuses for a mid tier university and are using MAC membership to help prop up their images compared to lower tier offerings. At least that is why I felt they've been steadfast about keeping football and staying in the MAC when they feel more like a Horizon League university.


Here's a good snapshot view of where research universities stand on the food chain using nine metrics that rank everything from research dollars to fundraising to faculty quality and median SAT scores. You can look at a ranking of all universities together or just private or just public. You're right that Buffalo is kind of near the bottom, but I'd guess that Kansas or Missouri would be next up on the chopping block.


Buffalo is ranked in between Illinois-Chicago and the University of Hawaii in federal research dollars. Significantly below the University of Cincinnati. Its not correct to brand Buffalo as being among the very top universities in the country on the basis of having AAU membership. The same for Ohio with the R1 designation.

I do like the broadening out of the MAC academic reputation over the last couple of decades. Buffalo, Ohio, Kent with the R1s. Medical schools at WMU and CMU. It might not be long before WMU earns a R1 with the 500 million dollar academic gift. Toledo of course is one of the few universities with a medical, law, pharmacy and engineering college.


The current UT medical school was an independent school called the Medical School of Ohio until it was acquired by UT. They had another medical school many years earlier that was of such poor quality that it was closed after the 1910 Flexner Report that evaluated all of the medical schools in the United States.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 19  of 19 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties