Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  A way to get fans back in the stands?

Topic:  A way to get fans back in the stands?
Author
Message
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,681

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/24/2021 5:00:25 PM 
Covid-sniffing dogs. The Miami Heat is using them: https://www.wcvb.com/article/heat-to-use-covid-19-sniffin... #


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/25/2021 1:47:28 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
Covid-sniffing dogs. The Miami Heat is using them: https://www.wcvb.com/article/heat-to-use-covid-19-sniffin... #


How about our Governor exhibiting a little common sense? A 13,000 seat arena can't safely accommodate a few thousand fans? How long are we going to go on like this?
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,015

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/25/2021 1:53:08 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Covid-sniffing dogs. The Miami Heat is using them: https://www.wcvb.com/article/heat-to-use-covid-19-sniffin... #


How about our Governor exhibiting a little common sense? A 13,000 seat arena can't safely accommodate a few thousand fans? How long are we going to go on like this?


Personally, I'd prefer Governors focus on the actual work of ending the pandemic. Namely, on the logistics of vaccine distribution, and enforcing existing mandates. We're in the 7th Inning of this thing, and despite the fact that we're getting our ass kicked, the end is in sight. If the Governor spends a single minute worrying about attendance at Ohio University basketball games, that's a problem.

We don't have to "go on like this" for much longer, provided the government can improve vaccine distribution. And in the meantime, Americans should be focused on doing their part to protect their neighbor. Filling Court Street bars and attending basketball games feels counterproductive to me, given that there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/25/2021 1:55:54 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Covid-sniffing dogs. The Miami Heat is using them: https://www.wcvb.com/article/heat-to-use-covid-19-sniffin... #


How about our Governor exhibiting a little common sense? A 13,000 seat arena can't safely accommodate a few thousand fans? How long are we going to go on like this?


Personally, I'd prefer Governors focus on the actual work of ending the pandemic. Namely, on the logistics of vaccine distribution, and enforcing existing mandates. We're in the 7th Inning of this thing, and despite the fact that we're getting our ass kicked, the end is in sight. If the Governor spends a single minute worrying about attendance at Ohio University basketball games, that's a problem.

We don't have to "go on like this" for much longer, provided the government can improve vaccine distribution. And in the meantime, Americans should be focused on doing their part to protect their neighbor. Filling Court Street bars and attending basketball games feels counterproductive to me, given that there's light at the end of the tunnel.


In my opinion we are not even close to the 7th inning of this thing. Statistics show that over 1/2 of Ohio healthcare workers are refusing the vaccine. The numbers among the general public will no doubt be worse.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/01/02/large-n...

Last Edited: 1/25/2021 1:57:16 PM by ohiocatfan1

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 7,139

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/25/2021 2:09:46 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Covid-sniffing dogs. The Miami Heat is using them: https://www.wcvb.com/article/heat-to-use-covid-19-sniffin... #


How about our Governor exhibiting a little common sense? A 13,000 seat arena can't safely accommodate a few thousand fans? How long are we going to go on like this?


It's not the governor keeping fans out of the Convocation Center. The MAC has greater restrictions than the state of Ohio. When given a plan, the state has shown to work with groups to a degree. These policies you are seeing are a product of the Mid American Conference.

Last Edited: 1/25/2021 2:11:36 PM by BillyTheCat

Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/25/2021 2:41:50 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Covid-sniffing dogs. The Miami Heat is using them: https://www.wcvb.com/article/heat-to-use-covid-19-sniffin... #


How about our Governor exhibiting a little common sense? A 13,000 seat arena can't safely accommodate a few thousand fans? How long are we going to go on like this?


It's not the governor keeping fans out of the Convocation Center. The MAC has greater restrictions than the state of Ohio. When given a plan, the state has shown to work with groups to a degree. These policies you are seeing are a product of the Mid American Conference.


Yes they are MAC policies and they are hard to understand. How many MAC schools have 13,000 seat arenas?
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,015

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/25/2021 3:13:12 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:


In my opinion we are not even close to the 7th inning of this thing. Statistics show that over 1/2 of Ohio healthcare workers are refusing the vaccine. The numbers among the general public will no doubt be worse.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/01/02/large-n...



Once large numbers of people get vaccinated and there are no demonstrated ill effects, I expect enough of the folks refusing vaccines to eventually relent and get us to herd immunity.

I suspect we're going to get to a place relatively soon where people who can demonstrate both vaccinations will be able to start traveling internationally, getting out and about more, etc. The folks who refuse the vaccine are eventually going to witness first-hand the benefits, and more and more will relent.

I mean, put it this way: you need tetanis, hepatitis, measles, and polio vaccines to attend public school. You need them to travel to certain countries. You need them to hold certain jobs. In the short term, I suspect the Covid vaccine will end up added to that list, and once people realize the lack of a vaccine's keeping them from a normal life, we'll get to herd immunity.

Last Edited: 1/25/2021 3:16:05 PM by Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame

Back to Top
  
Bleed Green & White
General User



Member Since: 12/27/2004
Location: Driving on US 33
Post Count: 155

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/25/2021 4:30:22 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Covid-sniffing dogs. The Miami Heat is using them: https://www.wcvb.com/article/heat-to-use-covid-19-sniffin... #


How about our Governor exhibiting a little common sense? A 13,000 seat arena can't safely accommodate a few thousand fans? How long are we going to go on like this?


It's not the governor keeping fans out of the Convocation Center. The MAC has greater restrictions than the state of Ohio. When given a plan, the state has shown to work with groups to a degree. These policies you are seeing are a product of the Mid American Conference.


Yes they are MAC policies and they are hard to understand. How many MAC schools have 13,000 seat arenas?


I mean the money can't be worth the risk, right?

I can't imagine they'd break even.


"we are bound to win the fray..."
Don't let anyone block your pride.
BSC '06

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,403

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/25/2021 4:47:55 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:


In my opinion we are not even close to the 7th inning of this thing. Statistics show that over 1/2 of Ohio healthcare workers are refusing the vaccine. The numbers among the general public will no doubt be worse.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/01/02/large-n...



Once large numbers of people get vaccinated and there are no demonstrated ill effects, I expect enough of the folks refusing vaccines to eventually relent and get us to herd immunity.

I suspect we're going to get to a place relatively soon where people who can demonstrate both vaccinations will be able to start traveling internationally, getting out and about more, etc. The folks who refuse the vaccine are eventually going to witness first-hand the benefits, and more and more will relent.

I mean, put it this way: you need tetanis, hepatitis, measles, and polio vaccines to attend public school. You need them to travel to certain countries. You need them to hold certain jobs. In the short term, I suspect the Covid vaccine will end up added to that list, and once people realize the lack of a vaccine's keeping them from a normal life, we'll get to herd immunity.


Agreed 100% and should be common sense. I'm totally puzzled why everyone doesn't see it this way. Can't wait to get my vaccine card.

Back to Top
  
Ohio69
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,782

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/25/2021 5:24:47 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:


In my opinion we are not even close to the 7th inning of this thing. Statistics show that over 1/2 of Ohio healthcare workers are refusing the vaccine. The numbers among the general public will no doubt be worse.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/01/02/large-n...



Once large numbers of people get vaccinated and there are no demonstrated ill effects, I expect enough of the folks refusing vaccines to eventually relent and get us to herd immunity.

I suspect we're going to get to a place relatively soon where people who can demonstrate both vaccinations will be able to start traveling internationally, getting out and about more, etc. The folks who refuse the vaccine are eventually going to witness first-hand the benefits, and more and more will relent.

I mean, put it this way: you need tetanis, hepatitis, measles, and polio vaccines to attend public school. You need them to travel to certain countries. You need them to hold certain jobs. In the short term, I suspect the Covid vaccine will end up added to that list, and once people realize the lack of a vaccine's keeping them from a normal life, we'll get to herd immunity.


Agreed 100% and should be common sense. I'm totally puzzled why everyone doesn't see it this way. Can't wait to get my vaccine card.




Common sense? In America? We can dream. Maybe. Heck at this point if it means I get my 2 jabs earlier, 50% of health care workers and first responders can shy away all they want. I'll gladly move up in line.

Just read Israel is reporting 99% of those vaccinated don't get it. And of the 1% who do, most get a mild version. Just google Israel and covid. You'll find the very hopeful results so far.


Can somebody hit a pull up jumper for me?.....

Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,597

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/25/2021 6:27:23 PM 
If anything you should have your eyes focused on the Super Bowl. If it is executed right, the 7,000 healthcare personnel (if comfortable) should be sitting next to each other. I say this because a requirement for them is the shot to attend the game. If they can have the medical personnel sitting next to each other, not only does it show normalcy isn't far off, but shows that if you get the shot, you get to do this again. I hope they interview a few of them sitting next to other people and basically saying, "thank you for this vaccine because now I feel comfortable doing this like I used to."
Back to Top
  
bobcat 2000
General User

Member Since: 1/21/2006
Post Count: 113

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/25/2021 10:18:40 PM 
Because corona spreads easier than soft butter the fear of catching it will always be there. Therefore full normal life may well be impossible.
Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 8:35:05 AM 
bobcat 2000 wrote:
Because corona spreads easier than soft butter the fear of catching it will always be there. Therefore full normal life may well be impossible.


Being injured or killed in a car crash going to or from the game is much more likely than contracting this virus.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,624

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 8:53:22 AM 
Don't you need to plan your next Statehouse protest?
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,015

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 8:54:26 AM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
bobcat 2000 wrote:
Because corona spreads easier than soft butter the fear of catching it will always be there. Therefore full normal life may well be impossible.


Being injured or killed in a car crash going to or from the game is much more likely than contracting this virus.


Can you help me out with your math here? There have been 25.3 million cases in the US and 421,000 deaths.

There are ~38,000 deaths from car accidents in the US per year.

How are you coming up with your numbers?
Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 9:02:44 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
bobcat 2000 wrote:
Because corona spreads easier than soft butter the fear of catching it will always be there. Therefore full normal life may well be impossible.


Being injured or killed in a car crash going to or from the game is much more likely than contracting this virus.


Can you help me out with your math here? There have been 25.3 million cases in the US and 421,000 deaths.

There are ~38,000 deaths from car accidents in the US per year.

How are you coming up with your numbers?


Those 25.3 million "cases" are dubious at best and include false positives. As for 421,000 deaths how many of those had severe underlying conditions that would have succumbed to even a mild case of the flu? Bottom line is if a person is in a high-risk category or simply does not feel safe they have every right to stay inside their own home. Nobody is being forced to go anywhere.

Last Edited: 1/26/2021 9:03:49 AM by ohiocatfan1

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,015

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 9:12:04 AM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
bobcat 2000 wrote:
Because corona spreads easier than soft butter the fear of catching it will always be there. Therefore full normal life may well be impossible.


Being injured or killed in a car crash going to or from the game is much more likely than contracting this virus.


Can you help me out with your math here? There have been 25.3 million cases in the US and 421,000 deaths.

There are ~38,000 deaths from car accidents in the US per year.

How are you coming up with your numbers?


Those 25.3 million "cases" are dubious at best and include false positives. As for 421,000 deaths how many of those had severe underlying conditions that would have succumbed to even a mild case of the flu? Bottom line is if a person is in a high-risk category or simply does not feel safe they have every right to stay inside their own home. Nobody is being forced to go anywhere.



That doesn't address my question nor does it support your assertion that one's more likely to "injured or killed in a car crash going to or from the game is much more likely than contracting this virus."

In order for that to be true, the false positive rate would have to be absurdly high, right? What percentage of the 25.3 million cases do you consider accurate?

Based on the publicly available data, there's a far, far greater risk of contracting the virus and succumbing to it than there is of dying in a car crash. I'm just trying to understand what numbers you're using to support your statement.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 7,139

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 9:14:31 AM 
BLS, this person obviously has their own set of "facts", based on no facts! How, we still have folks like this just blow me away!
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 7,139

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 9:15:20 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
bobcat 2000 wrote:
Because corona spreads easier than soft butter the fear of catching it will always be there. Therefore full normal life may well be impossible.


Being injured or killed in a car crash going to or from the game is much more likely than contracting this virus.


Can you help me out with your math here? There have been 25.3 million cases in the US and 421,000 deaths.

There are ~38,000 deaths from car accidents in the US per year.

How are you coming up with your numbers?



I believe they call that Voodoo math?
Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 9:17:08 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
[QUOTE=bobcat 2000] Because corona spreads easier than soft butter the fear of catching it will always be there. Therefore full normal life may well be impossible.


Being injured or killed in a car crash going to or from the game is much more likely than contracting this virus.


Can you help me out with your math here? There have been 25.3 million cases in the US and 421,000 deaths.

There are ~38,000 deaths from car accidents in the US per year.

How are you coming up with your numbers?


Those 25.3 million "cases" are dubious at best and include false positives. As for 421,000 deaths how many of those had severe underlying conditions that would have succumbed to even a mild case of the flu? Bottom line is if a person is in a high-risk category or simply does not feel safe they have every right to stay inside their own home. Nobody is being forced to go anywhere.



That doesn't address my question nor does it support your assertion that one's more likely to "injured or killed in a car crash going to or from the game is much more likely than contracting this virus."

In order for that to be true, the false positive rate would have to be absurdly high, right? What percentage of the 25.3 million cases do you consider accurate?

Based on the publicly available data, there's a far, far greater risk of contracting the virus and succumbing to it than there is of dying in a car crash. I'm just trying to understand what numbers you're using to support your statement.

I concede your point. I should have phrased in it a different way: "I think MY chances of being injured or killed in a car accident going to or from the game are higher than contracting this virus let alone dying from it".

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,015

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 9:22:22 AM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
[QUOTE=bobcat 2000] Because corona spreads easier than soft butter the fear of catching it will always be there. Therefore full normal life may well be impossible.


Being injured or killed in a car crash going to or from the game is much more likely than contracting this virus.


Can you help me out with your math here? There have been 25.3 million cases in the US and 421,000 deaths.

There are ~38,000 deaths from car accidents in the US per year.

How are you coming up with your numbers?


Those 25.3 million "cases" are dubious at best and include false positives. As for 421,000 deaths how many of those had severe underlying conditions that would have succumbed to even a mild case of the flu? Bottom line is if a person is in a high-risk category or simply does not feel safe they have every right to stay inside their own home. Nobody is being forced to go anywhere.



That doesn't address my question nor does it support your assertion that one's more likely to "injured or killed in a car crash going to or from the game is much more likely than contracting this virus."

In order for that to be true, the false positive rate would have to be absurdly high, right? What percentage of the 25.3 million cases do you consider accurate?

Based on the publicly available data, there's a far, far greater risk of contracting the virus and succumbing to it than there is of dying in a car crash. I'm just trying to understand what numbers you're using to support your statement.

I concede your point. I should have phrased in it a different way: "I think MY chances of being injured or killed in a car accident going to or from the game are higher than contracting this virus let alone dying from it".



Fyi, mods, this is a weird bug -- that post is showing up as posted by ohiocatfan1 -- it was posted by me.
Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 9:39:12 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
BLS, this person obviously has their own set of "facts", based on no facts! How, we still have folks like this just blow me away!


I feel the same way.
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,235

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 9:42:31 AM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
As for 421,000 deaths how many of those had severe underlying conditions that would have succumbed to even a mild case of the flu?


647
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,015

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 10:20:23 AM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
BLS, this person obviously has their own set of "facts", based on no facts! How, we still have folks like this just blow me away!


I feel the same way.


The numbers I cited are from the official numbers from the CDC. You may not agree with them, but at the very least you can acknowledge those are not "my facts." I'm at least providing a citation and asking to see citations of your own.

Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 10:23:07 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
[QUOTE=BillyTheCat] BLS, this person obviously has their own set of "facts", based on no facts! How, we still have folks like this just blow me away!


I feel the same way.


The numbers I cited are from the official numbers from the CDC. You may not agree with them, but at the very least you can acknowledge those are not "my facts." I'm at least providing a citation and asking to see citations of your own.



Last Edited: 1/26/2021 10:23:27 AM by ohiocatfan1

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 158 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7    Next >
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2021 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties