Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  Its Not The 110

Topic:  Its Not The 110
Author
Message
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,582

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Its Not The 110
   Posted: 1/26/2020 2:48:38 PM 
But

Never the less,it is a nice story.

Google:CBS Sunday Morning Michigan Marching Band.

For those more IT savvy then me,feel free to post a link to the video.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Its Not The 110
   Posted: 1/26/2020 4:58:42 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
But

Never the less,it is a nice story.

Google:CBS Sunday Morning Michigan Marching Band.

For those more IT savvy then me,feel free to post a link to the video.


I thought you were an engineer. It's just a cut and paste. :)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michigan-marching-band-henry... /

Last Edited: 1/26/2020 5:00:19 PM by Alan Swank

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,582

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Its Not The 110
   Posted: 1/26/2020 5:24:25 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
But

Never the less,it is a nice story.

Google:CBS Sunday Morning Michigan Marching Band.

For those more IT savvy then me,feel free to post a link to the video.


I thought you were an engineer. It's just a cut and paste. :)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michigan-marching-band-henry... /


Civil Engineers don't "cut and paste" .

We weld,bolt and rivet or the bridge tends to fall down.

Doesn't work too well on a computer. :-)
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,611

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Its Not The 110
   Posted: 1/27/2020 10:32:19 AM 
rpbobcat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
But

Never the less,it is a nice story.

Google:CBS Sunday Morning Michigan Marching Band.

For those more IT savvy then me,feel free to post a link to the video.


I thought you were an engineer. It's just a cut and paste. :)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michigan-marching-band-henry... /


Civil Engineers don't "cut and paste" .

We weld,bolt and rivet or the bridge tends to fall down.

Doesn't work too well on a computer. :-)


Some have even been known to design suspension bridges with chain-link cables instead of multi-stranded cables -- then the bridges do fall down. Sorry, that was low hanging fruit . . .


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,582

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Its Not The 110
   Posted: 1/27/2020 3:37:32 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
But

Never the less,it is a nice story.

Google:CBS Sunday Morning Michigan Marching Band.

For those more IT savvy then me,feel free to post a link to the video.


I thought you were an engineer. It's just a cut and paste. :)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michigan-marching-band-henry... /


Civil Engineers don't "cut and paste" .

We weld,bolt and rivet or the bridge tends to fall down.

Doesn't work too well on a computer. :-)


Some have even been known to design suspension bridges with chain-link cables instead of multi-stranded cables -- then the bridges do fall down. Sorry, that was low hanging fruit . . .


Chain bridges go back to the early-mid 1800's

Surprised you know about them.

Oh,wait,never mind.



Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,611

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Its Not The 110
   Posted: 1/27/2020 6:57:48 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
But

Never the less,it is a nice story.

Google:CBS Sunday Morning Michigan Marching Band.

For those more IT savvy then me,feel free to post a link to the video.


I thought you were an engineer. It's just a cut and paste. :)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michigan-marching-band-henry... /


Civil Engineers don't "cut and paste" .

We weld,bolt and rivet or the bridge tends to fall down.

Doesn't work too well on a computer. :-)


Some have even been known to design suspension bridges with chain-link cables instead of multi-stranded cables -- then the bridges do fall down. Sorry, that was low hanging fruit . . .


Chain bridges go back to the early-mid 1800's

Surprised you know about them.

Oh,wait,never mind.





My knowledge of them only goes back to 1967!


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,045

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Its Not The 110
   Posted: 1/27/2020 7:10:33 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
But

Never the less,it is a nice story.

Google:CBS Sunday Morning Michigan Marching Band.

For those more IT savvy then me,feel free to post a link to the video.


I thought you were an engineer. It's just a cut and paste. :)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michigan-marching-band-henry... /


Civil Engineers don't "cut and paste" .

We weld,bolt and rivet or the bridge tends to fall down.

Doesn't work too well on a computer. :-)


Some have even been known to design suspension bridges with chain-link cables instead of multi-stranded cables -- then the bridges do fall down. Sorry, that was low hanging fruit . . .


Chain bridges go back to the early-mid 1800's

Surprised you know about them.

Oh,wait,never mind.





My knowledge of them only goes back to 1967!


Boom! Silver Bridge reference for $2000 Alex

Last Edited: 1/27/2020 7:16:09 PM by BillyTheCat

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,582

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Its Not The 110
   Posted: 1/28/2020 6:54:53 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
But

Never the less,it is a nice story.

Google:CBS Sunday Morning Michigan Marching Band.

For those more IT savvy then me,feel free to post a link to the video.


I thought you were an engineer. It's just a cut and paste. :)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michigan-marching-band-henry... /


Civil Engineers don't "cut and paste" .

We weld,bolt and rivet or the bridge tends to fall down.

Doesn't work too well on a computer. :-)


Some have even been known to design suspension bridges with chain-link cables instead of multi-stranded cables -- then the bridges do fall down. Sorry, that was low hanging fruit . . .


Chain bridges go back to the early-mid 1800's

Surprised you know about them.

Oh,wait,never mind.





My knowledge of them only goes back to 1967!


Boom! Silver Bridge reference for $2000 Alex



Hate to get all technical,but I will. :-)

The Silver Bridge wasn't "chain link cables" .
It was what was called an "eye beam suspension bridge".

The Silver bridge collapse is one of the examples they use in design classes to teach the importance of redundancy for safety.

The problem with "eye beam" and for that matter Wrought Iron Chain bridges, is no redundancy.
One pin,beam or link fails,you can lose the whole bridge.

Wire rope,solved those problems.

Lose one "strand" ,in a cable,no problem.

In fact,when they were making wire rope out of wrought iron,before steel,it wasn't uncommon for some strands to break.

When they first started using wire rope,a lot of engineers didn't trust it.
So they made the cables much larger then they needed to be.

When I was in grad school we got a chance to look at the cables and anchoring for a couple of suspension bridges.
You don't realize just how massive they are,still you're standing next to them.

Years ago my dad worked for the NY/NJ Port Authority.

He was doing a "triangulation" survey.
He had to set up a transit at the top of one of the towers.
He told us standing at the top of the bridge tower,and looking down the bridge's cable, was one of the most exciting but scary things he ever had to do when he worked there.


Last Edited: 1/28/2020 6:56:42 AM by rpbobcat

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,611

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Its Not The 110
   Posted: 1/28/2020 9:49:14 PM 
rpbobcat: I defer to your expertise, since you are both an engineer and from New Jersey! However, I found this description on the interwebs: The bridge's eye-bars were linked together in pairs like a chain. A huge pin passed through the eye and linked each piece to the next. So, to a mere layman from the sticks in flyover country this would appear to describe a chain-link made up of eye-bars.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 9  of 9 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties