Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands

Topic:  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
Author
Message
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 194

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 11:12:45 AM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
Stupid and disappointing


Agreed. The world has lost all common sense.

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,120

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 11:14:05 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Jeff McKinney wrote:
Just putting this out here, feel free to disagree: IMO, the end game by OU is to ban all fans. They know this. But they like to do things gradually to control the anger. When fans are banned, the reason given will be lack of compliance with mask requirements at the Convo, and that they do not have the staff to enforce it. OU and the MAC may use the intermediate step of social distancing, limiting attendance to about 3,000, with priority given to season ticket holders. But season ticket holders will not be able to stay in their particular seats.

I have no info on this. Just my own thoughts. Feel free to disagree.


My sense is that this won't happen. We're in for a very big wave of cases, but if the data on omicron stays as is, hospitalizations and deaths only occur in meaningful numbers amongst the unvaccinated. There's an intermediate step of requiring proof of vaccine to attend that's likely to gain steam as the data on omicron does more and more to illustrate that the path to normalcy requires vaccines.



Actually, the data from South Africa and now Denmark indicate that while being vaccinated does provide some protection from getting an Omicron infection, when acquired a vaccinated person and an unvaccinated person generally have the same mild symptoms that typically resolve in a couple of days. Omicron is 70 times more contagious than Delta, which was itself more contagious than earlier strains. The sheer number of new infections will put a strain on the health care system in the short term, but the good news is that in all likelihood this signals the beginning of the end of the pandemic. This how the first SARS virus epidemic ended -- the virus mutated itself out of relevance.


If it's so mild, why are hospitalizations at record highs?


Because if you have a huge upswing in infections the raw number of hospitalizations will go up, even if the percent hospitalized goes down. Those being hospitalized now are for the most part those with underlying health issues prior to the Omicron infection. And, there are still some Delta infections, but that number is dropping very quickly.

Last Edited: 1/10/2022 11:14:37 AM by OhioCatFan


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,586

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 11:17:38 AM 
The Optimist wrote:
Valley Cat wrote:
For what reason?


Lowering your mask to eat popcorn or drink water could potentially spread COVID.

It's simply not worth the risk.


But they're providing water, so that can't be the reason.

The ban will likely be for only a couple weeks. The current surge is expected to subside by then. Unlike earlier versions of covid, omicron seems to be more like the regular flu.

Some of this panic is being created by misinformation. NBC ran a story last night that about 2/3 of the hospitalizations in the SF Bay area that have been designated as covid-related were mislabeled. Turns out that if people are hospitalized for some other reason but test positive, they're reported to the CDC as a covid hospitalization, even if they are asymptomatic. So if somebody has a heart attack, or a traffic accident, or even a baby and they test positive on being admitted to the hospital, they're reported to the CDC as a covid hospitalization.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 4,790

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 11:19:39 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Jeff McKinney wrote:
Just putting this out here, feel free to disagree: IMO, the end game by OU is to ban all fans. They know this. But they like to do things gradually to control the anger. When fans are banned, the reason given will be lack of compliance with mask requirements at the Convo, and that they do not have the staff to enforce it. OU and the MAC may use the intermediate step of social distancing, limiting attendance to about 3,000, with priority given to season ticket holders. But season ticket holders will not be able to stay in their particular seats.

I have no info on this. Just my own thoughts. Feel free to disagree.


My sense is that this won't happen. We're in for a very big wave of cases, but if the data on omicron stays as is, hospitalizations and deaths only occur in meaningful numbers amongst the unvaccinated. There's an intermediate step of requiring proof of vaccine to attend that's likely to gain steam as the data on omicron does more and more to illustrate that the path to normalcy requires vaccines.



Actually, the data from South Africa and now Denmark indicate that while being vaccinated does provide some protection from getting an Omicron infection, when acquired a vaccinated person and an unvaccinated person generally have the same mild symptoms that typically resolve in a couple of days. Omicron is 70 times more contagious than Delta, which was itself more contagious than earlier strains. The sheer number of new infections will put a strain on the health care system in the short term, but the good news is that in all likelihood this signals the beginning of the end of the pandemic. This how the first SARS virus epidemic ended -- the virus mutated itself out of relevance.


If it's so mild, why are hospitalizations at record highs?


Because if you have a huge upswing in infections the raw number of hospitalizations will go up, even if the percent hospitalized goes down. Those being hospitalized now are for the most part those with underlying health issues prior to the Omicron infection. And, there are still some Delta infections, but that number is dropping very quickly.


THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,120

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 11:19:59 AM 
Pataskala wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Valley Cat wrote:
For what reason?


Lowering your mask to eat popcorn or drink water could potentially spread COVID.

It's simply not worth the risk.


But they're providing water, so that can't be the reason.

The ban will likely be for only a couple weeks. The current surge is expected to subside by then. Unlike earlier versions of covid, omicron seems to be more like the regular flu.

Some of this panic is being created by misinformation. NBC ran a story last night that about 2/3 of the hospitalizations in the SF Bay area that have been designated as covid-related were mislabeled. Turns out that if people are hospitalized for some other reason but test positive, they're reported to the CDC as a covid hospitalization, even if they are asymptomatic. So if somebody has a heart attack, or a traffic accident, or even a baby and they test positive on being admitted to the hospital, they're reported to the CDC as a covid hospitalization.


Good point. And, this isn't new. This has been going on since almost day one of the pandemic.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,433

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 11:20:05 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:

Actually, the data from South Africa and now Denmark indicate that while being vaccinated does provide some protection from getting an Omicron infection, when acquired a vaccinated person and an unvaccinated person generally have the same mild symptoms that typically resolve in a couple of days.


A couple of things:

1. I'm not particularly interested in cases as a metric these days. There was a point in which they were relevant, because they were a leading indicator of hospitalizations and deaths, but as more and more of the population gets vaccinated, and more of the cases come from the Omicron variant, that becomes less and less true.

2. Of ICU admissions, the vast majority are unvaccinated. Where are you seeing the data on vaccinated and unvaccinated folks having the same outcome?


OhioCatFan wrote:

Omicron is 70 times more contagious than Delta, which was itself more contagious than earlier strains. The sheer number of new infections will put a strain on the health care system in the short term, but the good news is that in all likelihood this signals the beginning of the end of the pandemic. This how the first SARS virus epidemic ended -- the virus mutated itself out of relevance.


I don't disagree with this, but am not as convinced as you are that this isn't going to kill a whole bunch of unvaccinated Americans in the meantime. Deaths are starting to inch up again, and we're still seeing about 1700 a day.

There have been a lot of comparisons between the US and England and Denmark, but both of those countries have been much more successful double vaccinating (vaccine and booster) their population; I think there are potential reasons to think severity may look different in the US.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,433

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 12:00:36 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Valley Cat wrote:
For what reason?


Lowering your mask to eat popcorn or drink water could potentially spread COVID.

It's simply not worth the risk.


But they're providing water, so that can't be the reason.



I'd imagine it's a combination of reasons: risk of spread and staffing shortages, amongst them.
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 3,158

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 12:08:31 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:


2. Of ICU admissions, the vast majority are unvaccinated. Where are you seeing the data on vaccinated and unvaccinated folks having the same outcome?


According to WOR news this morning,55% of covid hospitalizations are unvaccinated.
45% of the covid hospitalizations are fully vaccinated.

These numbers take into account people who go to the hospital for
things like a broken leg, but test positive for covid.

The numbers of hospitalizations for vaxed /unvaxed are
close.
But that's not the case for the severity of the infections.

According to an article in today's The Record, in NJ at least, 68% of the covid patients in the ICU, are unvaxed.

What's unusual is that, according to the same article, recovery times for vaxed/unvaxed, even in severe cases, are much less then other variants.
There are also significantly less deaths.

Last Edited: 1/10/2022 12:09:53 PM by rpbobcat

Back to Top
  
MonroeClassmate
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2010
Post Count: 1,575

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 12:48:11 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:

There have been a lot of comparisons between the US and England and Denmark, but both of those countries have been much more successful double vaccinating (vaccine and booster) their population; I think there are potential reasons to think severity may look different in the US.

Don't shoot me; I'm just a messenger!

12/10/2022 WSJ Page A19
2008 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine receiver
Dr. Luc Montagnier (French) stated, "There is no evidence so far that vaccines are reducing infections from the fast-spreading variant."

Article goes on to say there is evidence that after 30 days the two vaccines no longer had any statistical significant positive effect on Omicron. But the next sentence says after 90 days (from Canada and Denmark) the vaccinated people have higher rates of Omicron infection than unvaccinated people.

No mention of severity of outcomes between Vaxxed and Un




Last Edited: 1/10/2022 12:50:47 PM by MonroeClassmate

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 6,070

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 12:57:48 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Andrew Ruck wrote:
Stupid and disappointing


Agreed. The world has lost all common sense.



So you admit "common sense" doesn't exist.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,433

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 1:12:04 PM 
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:

There have been a lot of comparisons between the US and England and Denmark, but both of those countries have been much more successful double vaccinating (vaccine and booster) their population; I think there are potential reasons to think severity may look different in the US.

Don't shoot me; I'm just a messenger!

12/10/2022 WSJ Page A19
2008 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine receiver
Dr. Luc Montagnier (French) stated, "There is no evidence so far that vaccines are reducing infections from the fast-spreading variant."

Article goes on to say there is evidence that after 30 days the two vaccines no longer had any statistical significant positive effect on Omicron. But the next sentence says after 90 days (from Canada and Denmark) the vaccinated people have higher rates of Omicron infection than unvaccinated people.

No mention of severity of outcomes between Vaxxed and Un



Yeah, that's not really addressing my point, which is that data seems to be indicating different outcomes for patients once they have the virus. We know that the omicron variant has been successful at "avoiding" the vaccine and causing infection; as I stated in my post, I don't think cases are a particularly relevant metric right now. What's relevant is what happens when people get the virus.
Back to Top
  
spongeBOB CATpants
General User



Member Since: 8/16/2016
Post Count: 514

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 1:53:32 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:

There have been a lot of comparisons between the US and England and Denmark, but both of those countries have been much more successful double vaccinating (vaccine and booster) their population; I think there are potential reasons to think severity may look different in the US.

Don't shoot me; I'm just a messenger!

12/10/2022 WSJ Page A19
2008 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine receiver
Dr. Luc Montagnier (French) stated, "There is no evidence so far that vaccines are reducing infections from the fast-spreading variant."

Article goes on to say there is evidence that after 30 days the two vaccines no longer had any statistical significant positive effect on Omicron. But the next sentence says after 90 days (from Canada and Denmark) the vaccinated people have higher rates of Omicron infection than unvaccinated people.

No mention of severity of outcomes between Vaxxed and Un



Yeah, that's not really addressing my point, which is that data seems to be indicating different outcomes for patients once they have the virus. We know that the omicron variant has been successful at "avoiding" the vaccine and causing infection; as I stated in my post, I don't think cases are a particularly relevant metric right now. What's relevant is what happens when people get the virus.


But doesn't the number of cases signal how rampant the virus is currently? So, like, if you're trying to avoid catching it (and potentially spreading it to people you would rather not infect), wouldn't the high case #'s tell you that you should probably avoid crowded places/enforce masking policies even more?
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,433

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 2:10:48 PM 
spongeBOB CATpants wrote:


But doesn't the number of cases signal how rampant the virus is currently? So, like, if you're trying to avoid catching it (and potentially spreading it to people you would rather not infect), wouldn't the high case #'s tell you that you should probably avoid crowded places/enforce masking policies even more?


I can certainly see the viewpoint.

Derek Thompson in the Atlantic -- whose Covid coverage has been the best I've seen -- made the point that Omicron's basically created two camps of people amongst the vaccinated. He refers to them as "vaxxed and done" and "vaxxed and cautious."

The vaxxed and done perspective is that the individual risk is low and for multi-vaxxed people it's basically the flu.

The vaxxed and cautious perspective is what you outline; there's good reason to still want to avoid getting sick, whether that be the risk of transmitting the disease to others and the unknowns around longterm risks.

Personally, I find a mask to be such a minor inconvenience that it no longer even registers as a restriction. I get that people are fed up with restrictions of any sort -- it's been a shitty couple of years -- but in the grand scheme of things if the extent of restrictions right now are masks and not being able to buy a bad pretzel (so I hear -- never had one myself) at the Convo, that elicits a pretty big shrug from me. After everything Americans have dealt with over the last two years, that rounds down to nothing at all, for me.

But at the same time, I get people's frustration. There's a large chunk of Americans who have been incredible selfish and downright stupid throughout this entire ordeal, and that institutions, states, local legislators, etc. are still forced to take those folks into account in policy decisions is endlessly frustrating, as is the governmental response at all levels.





Back to Top
  
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 1,192

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 2:22:35 PM 
JSF wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Andrew Ruck wrote:
Stupid and disappointing


Agreed. The world has lost all common sense.



So you admit "common sense" doesn't exist.


It is good to know that you shouldn't get hit by a car while crossing the street. Most of us don't think about if getting hit by a car or not is a good idea when crossing the street. We just take measures to not allow it to happen without thinking much about why while we are crossing. That's what common sense IS. We don't have to waste the CPU cycles of our brains thinking about if we should or shouldn't run out into traffic. In THIS CONTEXT It is almost always a GOOD thing and is, not surprising, quite common. So it exists in spades.

What common sense ISN'T is that it is never a defense of an argument by itself. In a debate you actually have to defend WHY getting hit by a car is bad if the subject of if getting hit by cars is bad if it were to somehow ever come up. You can't just invoke "Common Sense" in this context. It means nothing in that case. In fact, it might get in the way of adapting to a world that has changed.

I would contend that when someone invokes "common sense" in a debate then it almost always because they have become used to things a certain way, have never thought about nor understand why they are that way in the first place, or if they should or should not actually still be that way, and do not want to spend time thinking about it, trying to understand it, or explaining it. In THIS CONTEXT it is almost always a BAD thing. It shuts down the potential for thought and should always be avoided in use as an argument.

Last Edited: 1/10/2022 2:31:34 PM by Victory

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,586

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 2:27:20 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Valley Cat wrote:
For what reason?


Lowering your mask to eat popcorn or drink water could potentially spread COVID.

It's simply not worth the risk.


But they're providing water, so that can't be the reason.

The ban will likely be for only a couple weeks. The current surge is expected to subside by then. Unlike earlier versions of covid, omicron seems to be more like the regular flu.

Some of this panic is being created by misinformation. NBC ran a story last night that about 2/3 of the hospitalizations in the SF Bay area that have been designated as covid-related were mislabeled. Turns out that if people are hospitalized for some other reason but test positive, they're reported to the CDC as a covid hospitalization, even if they are asymptomatic. So if somebody has a heart attack, or a traffic accident, or even a baby and they test positive on being admitted to the hospital, they're reported to the CDC as a covid hospitalization.


Good point. And, this isn't new. This has been going on since almost day one of the pandemic.


Actually, original covid caused the hospitalizations. The elderly and people with underlying conditions were more likely to get it but they were hospitalized because of covid, not their other conditions. Conservative talk show hosts spread the false information that people were being hospitalized because of their chronic health conditions instead of covid, which helped to foster denial among their followers.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: CLE
Post Count: 5,409

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 3:03:59 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Valley Cat wrote:
For what reason?


Lowering your mask to eat popcorn or drink water could potentially spread COVID.

It's simply not worth the risk.


But they're providing water, so that can't be the reason.

The ban will likely be for only a couple weeks. The current surge is expected to subside by then. Unlike earlier versions of covid, omicron seems to be more like the regular flu.

Some of this panic is being created by misinformation. NBC ran a story last night that about 2/3 of the hospitalizations in the SF Bay area that have been designated as covid-related were mislabeled. Turns out that if people are hospitalized for some other reason but test positive, they're reported to the CDC as a covid hospitalization, even if they are asymptomatic. So if somebody has a heart attack, or a traffic accident, or even a baby and they test positive on being admitted to the hospital, they're reported to the CDC as a covid hospitalization.


Good point. And, this isn't new. This has been going on since almost day one of the pandemic.


Actually, original covid caused the hospitalizations. The elderly and people with underlying conditions were more likely to get it but they were hospitalized because of covid, not their other conditions. Conservative talk show hosts spread the false information that people were being hospitalized because of their chronic health conditions instead of covid, which helped to foster denial among their followers.


According to the CDC, 75% of deaths from Omicron have four or more comorbidities. This is hardly anything new with this variant. People didn't take care of their health and eat right for years and now it's caught up to them.


I've seen crazier things happen.

Back to Top
  
Eagle66
General User

Member Since: 3/13/2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Post Count: 1,263

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 3:04:13 PM 
Oh look another thread headed to Siberia….
Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: CLE
Post Count: 5,409

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 3:04:56 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Valley Cat wrote:
For what reason?


Lowering your mask to eat popcorn or drink water could potentially spread COVID.

It's simply not worth the risk.


But they're providing water, so that can't be the reason.


That's very disappointing to hear. How can Ohio University ensure the water is not contaminated with COVID?


I've seen crazier things happen.

Back to Top
  
spongeBOB CATpants
General User



Member Since: 8/16/2016
Post Count: 514

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 3:38:43 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
spongeBOB CATpants wrote:


But doesn't the number of cases signal how rampant the virus is currently? So, like, if you're trying to avoid catching it (and potentially spreading it to people you would rather not infect), wouldn't the high case #'s tell you that you should probably avoid crowded places/enforce masking policies even more?


I can certainly see the viewpoint.

Derek Thompson in the Atlantic -- whose Covid coverage has been the best I've seen -- made the point that Omicron's basically created two camps of people amongst the vaccinated. He refers to them as "vaxxed and done" and "vaxxed and cautious."

The vaxxed and done perspective is that the individual risk is low and for multi-vaxxed people it's basically the flu.

The vaxxed and cautious perspective is what you outline; there's good reason to still want to avoid getting sick, whether that be the risk of transmitting the disease to others and the unknowns around longterm risks.

Personally, I find a mask to be such a minor inconvenience that it no longer even registers as a restriction. I get that people are fed up with restrictions of any sort -- it's been a shitty couple of years -- but in the grand scheme of things if the extent of restrictions right now are masks and not being able to buy a bad pretzel (so I hear -- never had one myself) at the Convo, that elicits a pretty big shrug from me. After everything Americans have dealt with over the last two years, that rounds down to nothing at all, for me.

But at the same time, I get people's frustration. There's a large chunk of Americans who have been incredible selfish and downright stupid throughout this entire ordeal, and that institutions, states, local legislators, etc. are still forced to take those folks into account in policy decisions is endlessly frustrating, as is the governmental response at all levels.







I would consider myself in the vaxxed and cautious category simply because there are people in my life that I would like to continue to have in my life. Yes they are at higher risk due to other health issues but I don't just shrug that off and say "welp, should've made healthier decisions" like a lot of anti-masker/vaxxers tend to do.

I've had covid (during the summer surge of Delta) and had mild symptoms at most. Cough, lost smell/taste, mild body aches and that's it. I was fully vaxxed with Moderna's shot and now I am boosted and may still have natural immunity. I'm also fairly young and kicked it within a week.

I'm vaxxed and cautious because I want to protect those around me who are at high risk. Not because I'm afraid of the virus. I'm afraid of what it could take from me.
Back to Top
  
Scott Woods
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: On the banks of the Ohio, OH
Post Count: 217

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 3:50:10 PM 
With no concession stands, do you think they will now allow you to bring in outside food/drink? I enjoy some popcorn while watching a game.


Religion morality and knowledge being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged.

So enter that daily thou mayest grow in knowledge wisdom and love. So depart that daily thou mayest better serve thy fellowmen thy country and thy God.

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,586

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 4:43:09 PM 
The Optimist wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Valley Cat wrote:
For what reason?


Lowering your mask to eat popcorn or drink water could potentially spread COVID.

It's simply not worth the risk.


But they're providing water, so that can't be the reason.


That's very disappointing to hear. How can Ohio University ensure the water is not contaminated with COVID?


It's been hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar on President Sherman's porch.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,120

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 6:47:48 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Valley Cat wrote:
For what reason?


Lowering your mask to eat popcorn or drink water could potentially spread COVID.

It's simply not worth the risk.


But they're providing water, so that can't be the reason.

The ban will likely be for only a couple weeks. The current surge is expected to subside by then. Unlike earlier versions of covid, omicron seems to be more like the regular flu.

Some of this panic is being created by misinformation. NBC ran a story last night that about 2/3 of the hospitalizations in the SF Bay area that have been designated as covid-related were mislabeled. Turns out that if people are hospitalized for some other reason but test positive, they're reported to the CDC as a covid hospitalization, even if they are asymptomatic. So if somebody has a heart attack, or a traffic accident, or even a baby and they test positive on being admitted to the hospital, they're reported to the CDC as a covid hospitalization.


Good point. And, this isn't new. This has been going on since almost day one of the pandemic.


Actually, original covid caused the hospitalizations. The elderly and people with underlying conditions were more likely to get it but they were hospitalized because of covid, not their other conditions. Conservative talk show hosts spread the false information that people were being hospitalized because of their chronic health conditions instead of covid, which helped to foster denial among their followers.


You are putting up a straw man. I'm not saying and didn't say that with the initial wave of Covid19 that many people in vulnerable categories didn't die of Covid19 itself. It killed a lot. What I am saying is that right from the start there were many credible examples of people who got counted as a Covid19 hospitalization and/or death when they actually were hospitalized or died with Covid19 and not because of it. Those two statements are not mutually exclusive. You are trying to paint a good guys vs bad guys scenario that ignores the complexity of these issues.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 6,070

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/10/2022 7:33:07 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Valley Cat wrote:
For what reason?


Lowering your mask to eat popcorn or drink water could potentially spread COVID.

It's simply not worth the risk.


But they're providing water, so that can't be the reason.


That's very disappointing to hear. How can Ohio University ensure the water is not contaminated with COVID?


It's been hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar on President Sherman's porch.


That’s what that was!


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: CLE
Post Count: 5,409

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/11/2022 9:45:47 AM 
Pataskala wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Valley Cat wrote:
For what reason?


Lowering your mask to eat popcorn or drink water could potentially spread COVID.

It's simply not worth the risk.


But they're providing water, so that can't be the reason.


That's very disappointing to hear. How can Ohio University ensure the water is not contaminated with COVID?


It's been hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar on President Sherman's porch.


This is very reassuring. Great to see the University taking proactive measures to keep the community safe.

Do you know the source of the water? I've always had a taste for Athens County spring water. I've found that mine runoff promotes strong Iron Sulfide levels in the water and I am Iron deficient.


I've seen crazier things happen.

Back to Top
  
Recovering Journalist
General User

Member Since: 8/17/2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Post Count: 1,766

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Concession Stands
   Posted: 1/11/2022 10:30:30 AM 
A little dose of reality for anyone still mourning fountain Pepsi and synthetic butter popcorn.

New record for COVID hospitalizations:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-breaks-covid-19-hospi... /
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 50  of 159 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties