Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  TOS to WMU

Topic:  TOS to WMU
Author
Message
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 6,395

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/11/2020 4:36:29 PM 

 


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,521

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/11/2020 6:49:10 PM 
About time.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,950

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/11/2020 7:13:07 PM 
WMU won't be a bad job to step into. Two best players are juniors and also started 2 impressive freshmen. Not losing any player of note, assuming no transfers (a big assumption in 2020).
Back to Top
  
ohio9704
General User

Member Since: 2/11/2006
Post Count: 1,292

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/11/2020 10:52:19 PM 
This opening screams Saddi Washington.
Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On US33 between Athens and Madison Co., OH
Post Count: 7,485

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/18/2020 4:08:06 PM 
ohio9704 wrote:
This opening screams Saddi Washington.


Withdrew himself from consideration:

https://twitter.com/SamWebb77/status/1240368698206171146
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,473

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/18/2020 8:12:35 PM 
Washington is WMU's Jeff Boals. If not now, then it's probably never. Whomever is hired is stepping into a good roster in year one.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 6,922

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/18/2020 8:45:36 PM 
HoopDirt said yesterday that if it isn't Washington, it might be "a current head coach who might be released soon." Any thoughts?


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Recovering Journalist
General User

Member Since: 8/17/2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Post Count: 1,549

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/30/2020 12:56:51 PM 
They dug into the bargain bin. Base salary of $120,000!! with $100,000 in addition earning opportunity... the combined total puts him about $100,000 under the currently lowest-paid MAC men's hoops coach.

https://www.mlive.com/broncos/2020/03/wmu-promotes-from-w...
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,489

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/30/2020 1:37:05 PM 
Starting an employee with a low salary and making him earn a higher one. What a concept!
Back to Top
  
Recovering Journalist
General User

Member Since: 8/17/2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Post Count: 1,549

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/30/2020 4:39:09 PM 
GoCats105 wrote:
Starting an employee with a low salary and making him earn a higher one. What a concept!


From a budget standpoint, WMU picked the worst time in history to conduct a search, so I get what you're saying. And there are valid reasons to question spending on sports in general. That said, from a pure performance/basketball standpoint, this pretty much ensures the Broncos face at least two years of below-average performance. The new guy has no job security and no decent player in their right mind would choose to go there. The coach has a two-year contract that would cost very little to buy out, so it's basically like he has no contract at all.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 1,452

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/30/2020 5:36:34 PM 
Recovering Journalist wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
Starting an employee with a low salary and making him earn a higher one. What a concept!


From a budget standpoint, WMU picked the worst time in history to conduct a search, so I get what you're saying. And there are valid reasons to question spending on sports in general. That said, from a pure performance/basketball standpoint, this pretty much ensures the Broncos face at least two years of below-average performance. The new guy has no job security and no decent player in their right mind would choose to go there. The coach has a two-year contract that would cost very little to buy out, so it's basically like he has no contract at all.


This smells like Whitesell Lite. Cue up the transfer portal for the big freshman kid and the freshman guard in 3, 2,...
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 1,452

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/30/2020 6:38:42 PM 
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Recovering Journalist wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
Starting an employee with a low salary and making him earn a higher one. What a concept!


From a budget standpoint, WMU picked the worst time in history to conduct a search, so I get what you're saying. And there are valid reasons to question spending on sports in general. That said, from a pure performance/basketball standpoint, this pretty much ensures the Broncos face at least two years of below-average performance. The new guy has no job security and no decent player in their right mind would choose to go there. The coach has a two-year contract that would cost very little to buy out, so it's basically like he has no contract at all.


This smells like Whitesell Lite. Cue up the transfer portal for the big freshman kid and the freshman guard in 3, 2,...


And there ya go...Brandon Johnson to grad transfer. Would be a great get for us.....hmmmmm
Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,468

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/30/2020 8:05:17 PM 
Recovering Journalist wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
Starting an employee with a low salary and making him earn a higher one. What a concept!


From a budget standpoint, WMU picked the worst time in history to conduct a search, so I get what you're saying. And there are valid reasons to question spending on sports in general. That said, from a pure performance/basketball standpoint, this pretty much ensures the Broncos face at least two years of below-average performance. The new guy has no job security and no decent player in their right mind would choose to go there. The coach has a two-year contract that would cost very little to buy out, so it's basically like he has no contract at all.


Gotta feel bad for WMU making a move like this. From my angle, definitely a necessary move, but the Covid whacked them something fierce. Hope they can recover from this
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 467

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/31/2020 8:16:53 AM 
Completely different strategy than what Ohio has done in the past. Ohio forks out more for the next guy up and Western does the opposite. Wow!
Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,500

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/31/2020 9:02:42 AM 
Bobcat1996 wrote:
Completely different strategy than what Ohio has done in the past. Ohio forks out more for the next guy up and Western does the opposite. Wow!


I think this is almost completely because of what is happening right now. If this were last year, they probably would have made a similar move as Ohio, finding a higher-paid replacement.
Back to Top
  
IceCat76
General User

Member Since: 12/5/2016
Location: Byfield, MA
Post Count: 107

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/31/2020 12:01:27 PM 
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Recovering Journalist wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
Starting an employee with a low salary and making him earn a higher one. What a concept!


From a budget standpoint, WMU picked the worst time in history to conduct a search, so I get what you're saying. And there are valid reasons to question spending on sports in general. That said, from a pure performance/basketball standpoint, this pretty much ensures the Broncos face at least two years of below-average performance. The new guy has no job security and no decent player in their right mind would choose to go there. The coach has a two-year contract that would cost very little to buy out, so it's basically like he has no contract at all.


This smells like Whitesell Lite. Cue up the transfer portal for the big freshman kid and the freshman guard in 3, 2,...


And there ya go...Brandon Johnson to grad transfer. Would be a great get for us.....hmmmmm


Per Jeff Goodman another transfer portal shoe drops: Michael Flowers, 6-1, 195, G, Jr., Western Michigan (16.9 ppg) 50% of returning scoring is now leaving. Probably more to follow.

Last Edited: 3/31/2020 12:09:00 PM by IceCat76

Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 6,395

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 3/31/2020 4:34:30 PM 

 


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 467

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 4/1/2020 8:37:27 AM 
UpSan Bobcat wrote:
Bobcat1996 wrote:
Completely different strategy than what Ohio has done in the past. Ohio forks out more for the next guy up and Western does the opposite. Wow!


I think this is almost completely because of what is happening right now. If this were last year, they probably would have made a similar move as Ohio, finding a higher-paid replacement.


I don't think so. If something would happen in the next month that would cause Coach Boals not to be able to return to Ohio next season and beyond, I think Ohio's administration would do a nationwide search. You can bet the house that the salary would be more than the new guy is making at WMU. If they could only meet by phone and or face time/zoom they would still do a search for a new coach. That saying, this is just a hypothetical situation.

Last Edited: 4/1/2020 8:39:15 AM by Bobcat1996

Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 467

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 4/1/2020 6:24:11 PM 
I would go a step further. I would suggest Ohio has paid more in salaries for TOS, Groce, Christian, Saul and now Boals than any other institution in the MAC during that time period that those guys coached. I realize that Oats at Buffalo had a contract that was huge, but he left for Bama after last season. Maybe someone with better resources than me can get this information? I would venture to say Ohio University is never going to deliver a salary such as the new guy is getting at WMU.

Last Edited: 4/1/2020 6:28:41 PM by Bobcat1996

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,521

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 4/2/2020 3:39:39 AM 
UpSan Bobcat wrote:
Bobcat1996 wrote:
Completely different strategy than what Ohio has done in the past. Ohio forks out more for the next guy up and Western does the opposite. Wow!


I think this is almost completely because of what is happening right now. If this were last year, they probably would have made a similar move as Ohio, finding a higher-paid replacement.


I don't agree. WMU has shown little interest in their basketball program for a while now. They let Hawkins stay around way longer than they should have. Would it be a deal like this? No, but I'm not convinced it would've been a whole lot more.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,500

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TOS to WMU
   Posted: 4/2/2020 10:03:39 AM 
I guess it wasn't accurate to say all because of the virus that Western Michigan made a decision like that, but I would still say it had a lot to do with it. The pay for a new coach wouldn't have been scaled back nearly to this degree otherwise, though perhaps some. There have been no coaching changes among the power conference schools. The virus is affecting what colleges do. There is concern that some colleges won't make it through this, that they will close permanently.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 21  of 21 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties