Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?

Topic:  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
Author
Message
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,613

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 2:00:20 PM 
Let's all use proper nomenclature. There are many coronaviruses. This one is called COVID-19, or SARS-Cov-2.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 708

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 2:25:24 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Let's all use proper nomenclature. There are many coronaviruses. This one is called COVID-19, or SARS-Cov-2.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html


Correct. And to add it's called COVID-19 because it's the 19th strain/mutation of the Coronavirus - a virus that has been known and around for a LONG time. Shoot, read a Lysol label. It literally states "Disinfects:" and lists "Human Coronavirus".

Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 708

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 2:27:45 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:


This reminds me exactly like that time we cancelled all sports, banned or cancelled all public gatherings, closed schools and businesses causing a global recession due to another global pandemic called the H1N1 Swine flu back in 2009.

You know that one where 59 MILLION people in the USA alone were infected and 12,000 Americans died?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_Un...

(compared to the current 1200+ COVID-19 cases)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

No?? You don't remember that? Yeah, me neither.

But don't get in your cars! I mean...don't leave your houses! I mean...TO THE BASEMENTS!


They were just talking on the radio about the comparisons between the Swine Flu and Corona.
And how each was handled by the media.

To be honest,I don't recall any of this kind of hysteria and hand wringing for Swine Flu ,even with the number of people who died.

They were also saying that there is virtually nothing being reported on the number of fatalities.

According to the news story,as of today there are a total of 38 deaths,with 26 from the one nursing home in Washington State.







Makes you wonder, what's different in 2020 compared to 2009? Hmmmm.....
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,402

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 2:35:04 PM 
GraffZ06 wrote:
Ted Thompson wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
El Gato Roberto wrote:
]Gobert HAS the virus. NBA is suspending the season. Iíd stay tuned for other shoes that might drop. 👞


NCAA suspending all games coming in 3....2.....



I don't think they'll suspend, just cancel. Once one player gets the virus, then that team and whomever they played wouldn't be able to participate in the tournament.



Yep, think you're right Ted. With the over-reaction to cancel all conference tournaments now made, natural progression to just cancel the whole thing coming next.

This reminds me exactly like that time we cancelled all sports, banned or cancelled all public gatherings, closed schools and businesses causing a global recession due to another global pandemic called the H1N1 Swine flu back in 2009.

You know that one where 59 MILLION people in the USA alone were infected and 12,000 Americans died?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_Un...

(compared to the current 1200+ COVID-19 cases)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

No?? You don't remember that? Yeah, me neither.

But don't get in your cars! I mean...don't leave your houses! I mean...TO THE BASEMENTS!


To be clear, that 12,000 Americans died from Swine Flu is part of your argument that we're OVERreacting?

Just spitballing here, but maybe the CDC is trying to avoid that this time around?

Though, "we didn't do any of this stuff during the Swine Flu outbreak and only 59 million people were infected and 12,000 people died" is an interesting take, too.


Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 708

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 2:48:53 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
Ted Thompson wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
El Gato Roberto wrote:
]Gobert HAS the virus. NBA is suspending the season. Iíd stay tuned for other shoes that might drop. 👞


NCAA suspending all games coming in 3....2.....



I don't think they'll suspend, just cancel. Once one player gets the virus, then that team and whomever they played wouldn't be able to participate in the tournament.



Yep, think you're right Ted. With the over-reaction to cancel all conference tournaments now made, natural progression to just cancel the whole thing coming next.

This reminds me exactly like that time we cancelled all sports, banned or cancelled all public gatherings, closed schools and businesses causing a global recession due to another global pandemic called the H1N1 Swine flu back in 2009.

You know that one where 59 MILLION people in the USA alone were infected and 12,000 Americans died?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_Un...

(compared to the current 1200+ COVID-19 cases)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

No?? You don't remember that? Yeah, me neither.

But don't get in your cars! I mean...don't leave your houses! I mean...TO THE BASEMENTS!


To be clear, that 12,000 Americans died from Swine Flu is part of your argument that we're OVERreacting?

Just spitballing here, but maybe the CDC is trying to avoid that this time around?

Though, "we didn't do any of this stuff during the Swine Flu outbreak and only 59 million people were infected and 12,000 people died" is an interesting take, too.




Yes that's exactly my take. 1 person dying is tragic, life-changing and Earth-shattering for their friends and family. That's always true. But we're humans. We're all going to die. And...there's a lot of us on the planet. So LOTS of people die every day/year.

60,000+ Americans dead from the normal flu per year.
35,000+ Americans dead from traffic accidents per year.

A lot of people die every year from bee stings! (We should probably outlaw bees)

Each individual case is sad, but on a macro-scale these are "ho hum" every day normal statistics. Certainly nothing to cause large scale hysteria and over-reactions like we're seeing now.

De-Whiner just announced NO gatherings over 100 people. That effectively means all business closed (especially small businesses).

COVID-19 isn't going to do jack squat. The decisions being made as a result of the scare? Very very VERY real damage.

Hope you guys have guns...NOW the message of "stay safe" actually DOES apply!

Back to Top
  
Recovering Journalist
General User

Member Since: 8/17/2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Post Count: 1,546

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 3:10:31 PM 
GraffZ06 wrote:


Yes that's exactly my take. 1 person dying is tragic, life-changing and Earth-shattering for their friends and family. That's always true. But we're humans. We're all going to die. And...there's a lot of us on the planet. So LOTS of people die every day/year.

60,000+ Americans dead from the normal flu per year.
35,000+ Americans dead from traffic accidents per year.

A lot of people die every year from bee stings! (We should probably outlaw bees)

Each individual case is sad, but on a macro-scale these are "ho hum" every day normal statistics. Certainly nothing to cause large scale hysteria and over-reactions like we're seeing now.

De-Whiner just announced NO gatherings over 100 people. That effectively means all business closed (especially small businesses).

COVID-19 isn't going to do jack squat. The decisions being made as a result of the scare? Very very VERY real damage.

Hope you guys have guns...NOW the message of "stay safe" actually DOES apply!



Your take is profoundly irresponsible. So far, the U.S. has reacted worse than any country to this pandemic. Our testing ratio is a truly pathetic 23 per million of population. That's the worst ratio in the world, and masks what could already be a massive health crisis. There's a reason even Trump stopped imitating the mayor from "Jaws" last night. This is going to kill more Americans - the only question is how many. What we do now to slow it will literally save lives.
Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 4,493

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 3:45:01 PM 
Recovering Journalist wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:


Yes that's exactly my take. 1 person dying is tragic, life-changing and Earth-shattering for their friends and family. That's always true. But we're humans. We're all going to die. And...there's a lot of us on the planet. So LOTS of people die every day/year.

60,000+ Americans dead from the normal flu per year.
35,000+ Americans dead from traffic accidents per year.

A lot of people die every year from bee stings! (We should probably outlaw bees)

Each individual case is sad, but on a macro-scale these are "ho hum" every day normal statistics. Certainly nothing to cause large scale hysteria and over-reactions like we're seeing now.

De-Whiner just announced NO gatherings over 100 people. That effectively means all business closed (especially small businesses).

COVID-19 isn't going to do jack squat. The decisions being made as a result of the scare? Very very VERY real damage.

Hope you guys have guns...NOW the message of "stay safe" actually DOES apply!



Your take is profoundly irresponsible. So far, the U.S. has reacted worse than any country to this pandemic. Our testing ratio is a truly pathetic 23 per million of population. That's the worst ratio in the world, and masks what could already be a massive health crisis. There's a reason even Trump stopped imitating the mayor from "Jaws" last night. This is going to kill more Americans - the only question is how many. What we do now to slow it will literally save lives.


Itís like if you are the governor of a state, you have to assume the role of president because Trump is focused on manipulating the numbers and finding a boogey man to blame versus telling the American public the truth and starting an aggressive testing campaign. Here is mike pence explaining why the cdc tested NOBODY in the last two days. Ohio received 800 test from the federal government and we wonder why everything is being shut down.
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/03/12/mike-pence...


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
spongeBOB CATpants
General User

Member Since: 8/16/2016
Post Count: 212

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 3:53:55 PM 
GraffZ06 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
Ted Thompson wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
El Gato Roberto wrote:
]Gobert HAS the virus. NBA is suspending the season. Iíd stay tuned for other shoes that might drop. 👞


NCAA suspending all games coming in 3....2.....



I don't think they'll suspend, just cancel. Once one player gets the virus, then that team and whomever they played wouldn't be able to participate in the tournament.



Yep, think you're right Ted. With the over-reaction to cancel all conference tournaments now made, natural progression to just cancel the whole thing coming next.

This reminds me exactly like that time we cancelled all sports, banned or cancelled all public gatherings, closed schools and businesses causing a global recession due to another global pandemic called the H1N1 Swine flu back in 2009.

You know that one where 59 MILLION people in the USA alone were infected and 12,000 Americans died?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_Un...

(compared to the current 1200+ COVID-19 cases)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

No?? You don't remember that? Yeah, me neither.

But don't get in your cars! I mean...don't leave your houses! I mean...TO THE BASEMENTS!


To be clear, that 12,000 Americans died from Swine Flu is part of your argument that we're OVERreacting?

Just spitballing here, but maybe the CDC is trying to avoid that this time around?

Though, "we didn't do any of this stuff during the Swine Flu outbreak and only 59 million people were infected and 12,000 people died" is an interesting take, too.




Yes that's exactly my take. 1 person dying is tragic, life-changing and Earth-shattering for their friends and family. That's always true. But we're humans. We're all going to die. And...there's a lot of us on the planet. So LOTS of people die every day/year.

60,000+ Americans dead from the normal flu per year.
35,000+ Americans dead from traffic accidents per year.

A lot of people die every year from bee stings! (We should probably outlaw bees)

Each individual case is sad, but on a macro-scale these are "ho hum" every day normal statistics. Certainly nothing to cause large scale hysteria and over-reactions like we're seeing now.

De-Whiner just announced NO gatherings over 100 people. That effectively means all business closed (especially small businesses).

COVID-19 isn't going to do jack squat. The decisions being made as a result of the scare? Very very VERY real damage.

Hope you guys have guns...NOW the message of "stay safe" actually DOES apply!



Just wow
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 6,834

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 4:11:34 PM 
Calm down, folks. According to WBNS, "Gov. DeWine said a mass gathering does not include normal operations at airports, bus and train stations, medical facilities, shopping malls or shopping centers.

"The order does not apply to typical office environments, schools, restaurants, factories, or retail or grocery stores.

"It also doesn't apply to religious gatherings or gatherings for the purpose of exercising First Amendment protected speech."

Last Edited: 3/12/2020 4:17:51 PM by Pataskala


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Kevin Finnegan
General User

Member Since: 2/4/2005
Location: Rockton, IL
Post Count: 731

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 4:14:32 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
Ted Thompson wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
El Gato Roberto wrote:
]Gobert HAS the virus. NBA is suspending the season. Iíd stay tuned for other shoes that might drop. 👞


NCAA suspending all games coming in 3....2.....



I don't think they'll suspend, just cancel. Once one player gets the virus, then that team and whomever they played wouldn't be able to participate in the tournament.



Yep, think you're right Ted. With the over-reaction to cancel all conference tournaments now made, natural progression to just cancel the whole thing coming next.

This reminds me exactly like that time we cancelled all sports, banned or cancelled all public gatherings, closed schools and businesses causing a global recession due to another global pandemic called the H1N1 Swine flu back in 2009.

You know that one where 59 MILLION people in the USA alone were infected and 12,000 Americans died?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_Un...

(compared to the current 1200+ COVID-19 cases)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

No?? You don't remember that? Yeah, me neither.

But don't get in your cars! I mean...don't leave your houses! I mean...TO THE BASEMENTS!


To be clear, that 12,000 Americans died from Swine Flu is part of your argument that we're OVERreacting?

Just spitballing here, but maybe the CDC is trying to avoid that this time around?

Though, "we didn't do any of this stuff during the Swine Flu outbreak and only 59 million people were infected and 12,000 people died" is an interesting take, too.




Just using your numbers, which I'm guessing you gathered from the CDC, show a mortality rate of 0.02% if there were 12,000 deaths out of 59 million infected. Currently, based on the JHU website shared by L.C. in another thread (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html ), we are looking at an exponentially greater mortality rate for a disease that has shown to be extremely contagious.

While it's tough to put a number on the rate of fatalities due to difficulties in testing, difficulty in numbers, etc., what we have is that we have currently seen at least 4,700 deaths in an illness where we currently have only had just over 68,400 who have recovered from illness. That would show a fatality number extremely high (nearly 7%), but the CDC and NIH are under assumption of something between 1-3%. Still, that makes the H1N1 illness appear as child's play compared to COVID19.

You're obviously angry and feel there is some ulterior motive of people to ruin businesses and your joy. I'm grateful that we are seeing businesses and governments putting health above all else.
Back to Top
  
El Gato Roberto
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 708

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 4:58:21 PM 
Kevin Finnegan wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
Ted Thompson wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
El Gato Roberto wrote:
]Gobert HAS the virus. NBA is suspending the season. Iíd stay tuned for other shoes that might drop. 👞


NCAA suspending all games coming in 3....2.....



I don't think they'll suspend, just cancel. Once one player gets the virus, then that team and whomever they played wouldn't be able to participate in the tournament.



Yep, think you're right Ted. With the over-reaction to cancel all conference tournaments now made, natural progression to just cancel the whole thing coming next.

This reminds me exactly like that time we cancelled all sports, banned or cancelled all public gatherings, closed schools and businesses causing a global recession due to another global pandemic called the H1N1 Swine flu back in 2009.

You know that one where 59 MILLION people in the USA alone were infected and 12,000 Americans died?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_Un...

(compared to the current 1200+ COVID-19 cases)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

No?? You don't remember that? Yeah, me neither.

But don't get in your cars! I mean...don't leave your houses! I mean...TO THE BASEMENTS!


To be clear, that 12,000 Americans died from Swine Flu is part of your argument that we're OVERreacting?

Just spitballing here, but maybe the CDC is trying to avoid that this time around?

Though, "we didn't do any of this stuff during the Swine Flu outbreak and only 59 million people were infected and 12,000 people died" is an interesting take, too.




Just using your numbers, which I'm guessing you gathered from the CDC, show a mortality rate of 0.02% if there were 12,000 deaths out of 59 million infected. Currently, based on the JHU website shared by L.C. in another thread (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html ), we are looking at an exponentially greater mortality rate for a disease that has shown to be extremely contagious.

While it's tough to put a number on the rate of fatalities due to difficulties in testing, difficulty in numbers, etc., what we have is that we have currently seen at least 4,700 deaths in an illness where we currently have only had just over 68,400 who have recovered from illness. That would show a fatality number extremely high (nearly 7%), but the CDC and NIH are under assumption of something between 1-3%. Still, that makes the H1N1 illness appear as child's play compared to COVID19.

You're obviously angry and feel there is some ulterior motive of people to ruin businesses and your joy. I'm grateful that we are seeing businesses and governments putting health above all else.


Mr Finnegan - I so appreciate your mature and measured response. Thank you.


"The name's Ohio University, but everybody calls me Ohio. Any of you guys call me Ohio U, and I'll kill you."

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,476

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 5:32:57 PM 
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/up-to-150-million-america...

Up to 150 million Americans is the projection now and one person keeps bragging about how dumb he is. Not worth it.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,434

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 6:02:19 PM 
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
Personally for my business, we're worried about what they will say about the NCAA's here in a couple weeks. Does not bode well for us and we're debating whether to be involved as heavily or not due to issues, especially the Spokane site.


This made my travel plans easy, and this was over a week ago. Didn't think Ohio would be the first to make this call. If it was Cali or some east coast state, we would have laughed at em. The second we heard Ohio called off events, we knew this was gonna hit the fan.

Hang on folks, this is going to get entertaining......
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 2,944

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 7:10:27 PM 
GraffZ06 wrote:
. wrote:
Everybody shut up and just stay inside.


No. I refuse to be a sheeple. I actually analyze things and think for myself. I plan on going about my life just like any sane person should - except I might frequent some local businesses more frequently now to counteract the fact DeWine's dumb butt essentially tried to put them all out of business today.

According to "scientists" we're probably all going to die from the 19th strain of Coronavirus. I suggest we go full Mole People underground for the next 6 months.

Back on planet Earth. Wash your hands and try to not lick so many doorknobs and statistically you're going to be just fine. Unless you fear the sniffles. In which case freak out. Also, I hope to heck those suggesting we just "stay inside" also refuse to get in motor vehicles.

Just a sad state of affairs that our media and elected officials are actually propagating this mass hysteria which is now spilling over and effecting real people in ways such as NCAA basketball tournaments of all things.


Curious as to who you think is overreacting ? Do you think the NCAA made the decision to cancel on their own? (they didn't;t there was an infectious disease panel headed by John Hopkins that recommended the cancellation). Do you think the NBA and MLB cancelled on their own? They will lose billions as will the cities they play in - costing tens of thousands of jobs. Think Adam Silver watched Anderson Cooper and then freaked out? They consultant with CDC, the Administration, etc. because of the economic (and health) impact. Is the military overreacting as they take the temperature of all of us visiting before entering the front gate at Bragg? The consensus is we need to flatten the curve to limit the damage. And are thus taking steps. Currently the experts are all expecting the US to easily blow by the death rate of Swine flu and others.

So do you contend the Administration, CDC and others are overreacting?
Back to Top
  
Mark Lembright '85
General User

Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Lyndhurst, OH
Post Count: 2,364

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 8:40:30 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
Calm down, folks. According to WBNS, "Gov. DeWine said a mass gathering does not include normal operations at airports, bus and train stations, medical facilities, shopping malls or shopping centers.

"The order does not apply to typical office environments, schools, restaurants, factories, or retail or grocery stores.



i.e. my everyday life. I lead a boring life.

Last Edited: 3/12/2020 8:41:42 PM by Mark Lembright '85

Back to Top
  
El Gato Roberto
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 708

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 8:45:06 PM 
cc-cat wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
. wrote:
Everybody shut up and just stay inside.


No. I refuse to be a sheeple. I actually analyze things and think for myself. I plan on going about my life just like any sane person should - except I might frequent some local businesses more frequently now to counteract the fact DeWine's dumb butt essentially tried to put them all out of business today.

According to "scientists" we're probably all going to die from the 19th strain of Coronavirus. I suggest we go full Mole People underground for the next 6 months.

Back on planet Earth. Wash your hands and try to not lick so many doorknobs and statistically you're going to be just fine. Unless you fear the sniffles. In which case freak out. Also, I hope to heck those suggesting we just "stay inside" also refuse to get in motor vehicles.

Just a sad state of affairs that our media and elected officials are actually propagating this mass hysteria which is now spilling over and effecting real people in ways such as NCAA basketball tournaments of all things.


Curious as to who you think is overreacting ? Do you think the NCAA made the decision to cancel on their own? (they didn't;t there was an infectious disease panel headed by John Hopkins that recommended the cancellation). Do you think the NBA and MLB cancelled on their own? They will lose billions as will the cities they play in - costing tens of thousands of jobs. Think Adam Silver watched Anderson Cooper and then freaked out? They consultant with CDC, the Administration, etc. because of the economic (and health) impact. Is the military overreacting as they take the temperature of all of us visiting before entering the front gate at Bragg? The consensus is we need to flatten the curve to limit the damage. And are thus taking steps. Currently the experts are all expecting the US to easily blow by the death rate of Swine flu and others.

So do you contend the Administration, CDC and others are overreacting?


We could have been ready, like S Korea, testing 20K people a day. But that canít happen when you gut the CDC. Or we could have remained unprepared like Italy and have our hospitals over-run and sick patients turned away by the hospitals to die at home.


"The name's Ohio University, but everybody calls me Ohio. Any of you guys call me Ohio U, and I'll kill you."

Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 2,944

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 8:56:22 PM 
/\/\/\/\

Agree. In North Carolina we have 11 million people - 300 total tests available in the whole state. The whole state. But hey, someone in DC says testing is going perfectly



Back to Top
  
SVAC83
General User

Member Since: 10/1/2019
Post Count: 17

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 9:01:54 PM 
We just need to remember that when we get our sports back. that we don't take them for granted.
Back to Top
  
mf279801
General User

Member Since: 8/6/2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Post Count: 2,089

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/12/2020 9:36:46 PM 
Pataskala wrote:


"It also doesn't apply to religious gatherings or gatherings for the purpose of exercising First Amendment protected speech."


So...things that would cause an absolute shitstorm and ceaseless legal fights if he did try to prohibit them?

Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 2,944

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/17/2020 11:25:01 AM 
. wrote:
These first four pages in a week are going to be so freaking cringeworthy.


Yes they are - thankfully, even those that defined the cancellation of tourneys as "overreactions" and/or declared the virus wouldn't do "jack squat" are realizing the severity of what we face. State's have moved to shutting down and the President has accepted the virus won't miraculously go away. Tough times are just beginning, steps taken just a few weeks ago now appear to be not only smart, but minimal to what we are now entering. How well we come out of this will be defined not by those that most adhere to restrictions, but by the actions of those that are least committed. Stay strong #socialdistancing
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,585

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/17/2020 12:36:10 PM 
cc-cat wrote:
. wrote:
These first four pages in a week are going to be so freaking cringeworthy.


Yes they are - thankfully, even those that defined the cancellation of tourneys as "overreactions" and/or declared the virus wouldn't do "jack squat" are realizing the severity of what we face. State's have moved to shutting down and the President has accepted the virus won't miraculously go away. Tough times are just beginning, steps taken just a few weeks ago now appear to be not only smart, but minimal to what we are now entering. How well we come out of this will be defined not by those that most adhere to restrictions, but by the actions of those that are least committed. Stay strong #socialdistancing


No one is saying Corona isn't a concern.
What seems to be in question,is exactly how severe the threat is.

Everyone keeps talking about "worst case".

Thankfully,so far,the dire predictions made when the US cases first started a few weeks ago,haven't materialized,not even close.

Since March 9,Ohio has gone from 3 cases of Corona to 50,with,as far as I can see,no deaths.

That doesn't seem to warrant the severe measures put in place by your governor.

In New Jersey ,we have 178 cases,a number of which are limited to a specific ethnic group.

We've had 3 deaths.
One had severe underlying health issues.
A second had close contact with the first.
The third was in his 90's.

New Jersey has a population of 8.9 million.
So you can do the math.

Our Governor has shut down all bars,restaurants,casinos,theaters etc.
All of these closures are "open ended".

We are also supposed to stay at home from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am.
Doesn't matter,nothing is open.

The reason for these measures is to "keep us safe".
That sounds great,unless you work in or own one of the shuttered businesses.

They are SOL, for who knows how long.

Some places will never reopen.

Now one County Executive wants to shut down all offices,construction companies,dental offices etc. in his county.

He is basing this on his "moral authority".

All we hear about are the number of people
who test positive.
Nothing about how many never developed symptoms,or how many have recovered.

We also keep hearing about this doomsday scenario of hospitals being overwhelmed with corona cases.

My wife is a nurse.
So far,it hasn't been an issue in her hospital.

There's that old quote "Power corrupts.Absolute power corrupts absolutely".
I'm a cynic.
But this sure seems to fit a lot of what's going.

I also find it amazing that,according to an article in today's WSJ, Milennials are the worst violators of "Social Distancing",they don't care.





Last Edited: 3/17/2020 12:45:07 PM by rpbobcat

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,585

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/17/2020 1:39:08 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
cc-cat wrote:
. wrote:
These first four pages in a week are going to be so freaking cringeworthy.


Yes they are - thankfully, even those that defined the cancellation of tourneys as "overreactions" and/or declared the virus wouldn't do "jack squat" are realizing the severity of what we face. State's have moved to shutting down and the President has accepted the virus won't miraculously go away. Tough times are just beginning, steps taken just a few weeks ago now appear to be not only smart, but minimal to what we are now entering. How well we come out of this will be defined not by those that most adhere to restrictions, but by the actions of those that are least committed. Stay strong #socialdistancing


No one is saying Corona isn't a concern.
What seems to be in question,is exactly how severe the threat is.

Everyone keeps talking about "worst case".

Thankfully,so far,the dire predictions made when the US cases first started a few weeks ago,haven't materialized,not even close.

Since March 9,Ohio has gone from 3 cases of Corona to 50,with,as far as I can see,no deaths.

That doesn't seem to warrant the severe measures put in place by your governor.

In New Jersey ,we have 178 cases,a number of which are limited to a specific ethnic group.

We've had 3 deaths.
One had severe underlying health issues.
A second had close contact with the first.
The third was in his 90's.

New Jersey has a population of 8.9 million.
So you can do the math.

Our Governor has shut down all bars,restaurants,casinos,theaters etc.
All of these closures are "open ended".

We are also supposed to stay at home from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am.
Doesn't matter,nothing is open.

The reason for these measures is to "keep us safe".
That sounds great,unless you work in or own one of the shuttered businesses.

They are SOL, for who knows how long.

Some places will never reopen.

Now one County Executive wants to shut down all offices,construction companies,dental offices etc. in his county.

He is basing this on his "moral authority".

All we hear about are the number of people
who test positive.
Nothing about how many never developed symptoms,or how many have recovered.

We also keep hearing about this doomsday scenario of hospitals being overwhelmed with corona cases.

My wife is a nurse.
So far,it hasn't been an issue in her hospital.

There's that old quote "Power corrupts.Absolute power corrupts absolutely".
I'm a cynic.
But this sure seems to fit a lot of what's going on.

I also find it amazing that,according to an article in today's WSJ, Milennials are the worst violators of "Social Distancing",they don't care.







Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 4,493

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/17/2020 3:45:55 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
cc-cat wrote:
. wrote:
These first four pages in a week are going to be so freaking cringeworthy.


Yes they are - thankfully, even those that defined the cancellation of tourneys as "overreactions" and/or declared the virus wouldn't do "jack squat" are realizing the severity of what we face. State's have moved to shutting down and the President has accepted the virus won't miraculously go away. Tough times are just beginning, steps taken just a few weeks ago now appear to be not only smart, but minimal to what we are now entering. How well we come out of this will be defined not by those that most adhere to restrictions, but by the actions of those that are least committed. Stay strong #socialdistancing


No one is saying Corona isn't a concern.
What seems to be in question,is exactly how severe the threat is.

Everyone keeps talking about "worst case".

Thankfully,so far,the dire predictions made when the US cases first started a few weeks ago,haven't materialized,not even close.

Since March 9,Ohio has gone from 3 cases of Corona to 50,with,as far as I can see,no deaths.

That doesn't seem to warrant the severe measures put in place by your governor.

In New Jersey ,we have 178 cases,a number of which are limited to a specific ethnic group.

We've had 3 deaths.
One had severe underlying health issues.
A second had close contact with the first.
The third was in his 90's.

New Jersey has a population of 8.9 million.
So you can do the math.

Our Governor has shut down all bars,restaurants,casinos,theaters etc.
All of these closures are "open ended".

We are also supposed to stay at home from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am.
Doesn't matter,nothing is open.

The reason for these measures is to "keep us safe".
That sounds great,unless you work in or own one of the shuttered businesses.

They are SOL, for who knows how long.

Some places will never reopen.

Now one County Executive wants to shut down all offices,construction companies,dental offices etc. in his county.

He is basing this on his "moral authority".

All we hear about are the number of people
who test positive.
Nothing about how many never developed symptoms,or how many have recovered.

We also keep hearing about this doomsday scenario of hospitals being overwhelmed with corona cases.

My wife is a nurse.
So far,it hasn't been an issue in her hospital.

There's that old quote "Power corrupts.Absolute power corrupts absolutely".
I'm a cynic.
But this sure seems to fit a lot of what's going on.

I also find it amazing that,according to an article in today's WSJ, Milennials are the worst violators of "Social Distancing",they don't care.









Yeah his state is perfect just like the transcript, the numbers have tripled in a week. My uncle bubba works in a hospital as a physician assistant and he threw out the mask, he just wears a red and white hat and he has been to plenty EOMís, but I defer to his governor.
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy on Monday urged residents to stay home after 8 p.m., activated the National Guard, and issued an executive order limiting some business operations to fight the spread of coronavirus.

"All non-essential and non-emergency travel in Jersey is strongly discouraged beginning tonight at 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. each day," Murphy said. "This will remain in effect for the foreseeable future. We want everybody to be home, not out."

On Monday afternoon, he clarified that this was not explicitly a curfew.


"This is not a curfew, but it is strongly recommended and travel is strongly discouraged. If you don't need to be on the roads, you should not be on the roads," he said.

Murphy signed an executive order Monday that mandates all non-essential retail, recreational, and entertainment businesses cease daily operations at 8 p.m. every night. He also mobilized the New Jersey National Guard "to assist in our efforts in any way necessary."

Murphy told CNN Monday night that the National Guard could be used to deliver food to children in need, help coordinate drive-through testing sites and repurpose nursing homes and dormitories into hospitals.

"The National Guard can play a whole range of roles," Murphy said.

As of Monday afternoon, New Jersey had 178 confirmed cases of coronavirus and two deaths.


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 4,493

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/17/2020 4:04:54 PM 
Guess who closed all their indoor malls, they only declared a state of emergency to get money, yet they are shutting off a lot of their revenues. The stories we tell.
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/coronavirus/new-jers... /
Also, be on lookout for this woman in New Jersey who tested positive and gave a fake name and address, who is now spreading it in New Jerseyís capital.
https://apple.news/AvQ41GhgmQGG1XPQCGmjQAw

Last Edited: 3/17/2020 4:22:59 PM by allen


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,055

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coronavirus and the conference tourneys?
   Posted: 3/17/2020 5:09:53 PM 
The view that billion dollar businesses are shutting down over a hoax is laughable.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  151 - 175  of 211 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties