Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?

Topic:  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
Author
Message
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,529

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 10:15:53 AM 
Pataskala wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
Andrew Ruck wrote:
Even consistent programs that play a tough schedule and go undefeated have proven it won't happen.


Think about schools like Boise State, Cincinnati and UCF. They've been on the closest cusp you can be and the P5 would love nothing more than to shut the out from getting their piece of the pie. The only way to improve your standing is making it to one of those leagues (Utah and TCU are excellent examples of this).

I'm not a fan of Boise State, but part of me wishes they don't lose to Nevada in 2010. They were ranked #3 in the BCS at the time and were beating their opponents to a pulp. I doubt they leapfrog Oregon to make it to the title game, but the argument was there. TCU finished that year #2 after going 13-0 in the MWC and beating Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.



G5 teams just don't have a chance of making the playoff under the current system. Two years ago UCF was undefeated, but finished 8th in the final CFP ranking, behind two one-loss and two two-loss "P" teams. The highest a one-loss G5 team has finished in the current system (begun in 2014) is 17th (Memphis, last year). G5 teams have to schedule, and beat, multiple mid- to upper-tier "P" teams and go undefeated to even have a shot at the playoff. UCF's 2018 OOC schedule was 1AA SC State, Pitt and FAU. (A game vs UNC was cancelled because of a hurricane.) Not gonna cut it. Scheduling multiple "P" teams will become more difficult as they move to more conference games and more games vs other "P"s in order to boost their resumes.


Thank you for adding more color to my inital point.

The P5 will never allow the G5 to get close to winning a national championship. As soon as they did get close, they changed the system. Right now, a 4-team playoff is the perfect system to keep the G5 at arms length while also giving them a nice handout so as long they make the Cotton Bowl...or whichever rotation they are in that year.

And the AAC is the most likely candidate for that which spreads the pot even thinner. If one G5 conference is the constant qualifier for a NY6 bowl, then who gives a lick about the MAC, Sun Belt, C-USA or MWC?

Since its inception this is what the G5 has earned in the new system:

2014: Boise State (MWC)
2015: Houston (AAC)
2016: Western Michigan (MAC)
2017: UCF (AAC)
2018: UCF (AAC)
2019: Memphis (AAC)

So you're talking basically one conference, a traditional G5 power in Boise and one historically great team in WMU that is highly irregular.

Last Edited: 9/3/2020 10:20:29 AM by GoCats105

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On US33 between Athens and Madison Co., OH
Post Count: 7,548

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 11:30:06 AM 
GoCats105 wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
Andrew Ruck wrote:
Even consistent programs that play a tough schedule and go undefeated have proven it won't happen.


Think about schools like Boise State, Cincinnati and UCF. They've been on the closest cusp you can be and the P5 would love nothing more than to shut the out from getting their piece of the pie. The only way to improve your standing is making it to one of those leagues (Utah and TCU are excellent examples of this).

I'm not a fan of Boise State, but part of me wishes they don't lose to Nevada in 2010. They were ranked #3 in the BCS at the time and were beating their opponents to a pulp. I doubt they leapfrog Oregon to make it to the title game, but the argument was there. TCU finished that year #2 after going 13-0 in the MWC and beating Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.



G5 teams just don't have a chance of making the playoff under the current system. Two years ago UCF was undefeated, but finished 8th in the final CFP ranking, behind two one-loss and two two-loss "P" teams. The highest a one-loss G5 team has finished in the current system (begun in 2014) is 17th (Memphis, last year). G5 teams have to schedule, and beat, multiple mid- to upper-tier "P" teams and go undefeated to even have a shot at the playoff. UCF's 2018 OOC schedule was 1AA SC State, Pitt and FAU. (A game vs UNC was cancelled because of a hurricane.) Not gonna cut it. Scheduling multiple "P" teams will become more difficult as they move to more conference games and more games vs other "P"s in order to boost their resumes.


Thank you for adding more color to my inital point.

The P5 will never allow the G5 to get close to winning a national championship. As soon as they did get close, they changed the system. Right now, a 4-team playoff is the perfect system to keep the G5 at arms length while also giving them a nice handout so as long they make the Cotton Bowl...or whichever rotation they are in that year.

And the AAC is the most likely candidate for that which spreads the pot even thinner. If one G5 conference is the constant qualifier for a NY6 bowl, then who gives a lick about the MAC, Sun Belt, C-USA or MWC?

Since its inception this is what the G5 has earned in the new system:

2014: Boise State (MWC)
2015: Houston (AAC)
2016: Western Michigan (MAC)
2017: UCF (AAC)
2018: UCF (AAC)
2019: Memphis (AAC)

So you're talking basically one conference, a traditional G5 power in Boise and one historically great team in WMU that is highly irregular.


For what it's worth, this highlights one of the reasons that college football, for me, has become little more than an excuse to tailgate, or go to a bar for wings and beer. I have so little investment in the teams, and wins and losses now as a consequence of the "system".

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,730

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 11:56:25 AM 
OU_Country wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
Andrew Ruck wrote:
Even consistent programs that play a tough schedule and go undefeated have proven it won't happen.


Think about schools like Boise State, Cincinnati and UCF. They've been on the closest cusp you can be and the P5 would love nothing more than to shut the out from getting their piece of the pie. The only way to improve your standing is making it to one of those leagues (Utah and TCU are excellent examples of this).

I'm not a fan of Boise State, but part of me wishes they don't lose to Nevada in 2010. They were ranked #3 in the BCS at the time and were beating their opponents to a pulp. I doubt they leapfrog Oregon to make it to the title game, but the argument was there. TCU finished that year #2 after going 13-0 in the MWC and beating Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.



G5 teams just don't have a chance of making the playoff under the current system. Two years ago UCF was undefeated, but finished 8th in the final CFP ranking, behind two one-loss and two two-loss "P" teams. The highest a one-loss G5 team has finished in the current system (begun in 2014) is 17th (Memphis, last year). G5 teams have to schedule, and beat, multiple mid- to upper-tier "P" teams and go undefeated to even have a shot at the playoff. UCF's 2018 OOC schedule was 1AA SC State, Pitt and FAU. (A game vs UNC was cancelled because of a hurricane.) Not gonna cut it. Scheduling multiple "P" teams will become more difficult as they move to more conference games and more games vs other "P"s in order to boost their resumes.


Thank you for adding more color to my inital point.

The P5 will never allow the G5 to get close to winning a national championship. As soon as they did get close, they changed the system. Right now, a 4-team playoff is the perfect system to keep the G5 at arms length while also giving them a nice handout so as long they make the Cotton Bowl...or whichever rotation they are in that year.

And the AAC is the most likely candidate for that which spreads the pot even thinner. If one G5 conference is the constant qualifier for a NY6 bowl, then who gives a lick about the MAC, Sun Belt, C-USA or MWC?

Since its inception this is what the G5 has earned in the new system:

2014: Boise State (MWC)
2015: Houston (AAC)
2016: Western Michigan (MAC)
2017: UCF (AAC)
2018: UCF (AAC)
2019: Memphis (AAC)

So you're talking basically one conference, a traditional G5 power in Boise and one historically great team in WMU that is highly irregular.


For what it's worth, this highlights one of the reasons that college football, for me, has become little more than an excuse to tailgate, or go to a bar for wings and beer. I have so little investment in the teams, and wins and losses now as a consequence of the "system".



Agree completely. I have no real sense of why I should care about the outcome of Ohio football games.

And for what it's worth, I think people completely underestimate how access to a real playoff system would change that. I lived in Richmond for a bit and went to a few Richmond football games with friends; I can tell you that Richmond - UNH or Richmond - JMU regular season games seemed to matter to people there a whole lot more than Ohio - BG ever mattered to anybody I ever met in Athens.

There's no question in my mind that OU playing in a final four at the FCS level would get more student attention than the Whatever-the-hell Bowl against Troy State. Students and alumni don't care because there's no reason to. At least we'd be playing for something at the FCS level.
Back to Top
  
mf279801
General User

Member Since: 8/6/2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Post Count: 2,135

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 2:03:37 PM 
You think its that likely wed be playing in an FCS final 4, after we see a huge out flux of talent (without a requirement to sit a year) and a slashed budget? Well be thoroughly 50ish percentile in no time.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,730

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 2:09:41 PM 
mf279801 wrote:
You think its that likely wed be playing in an FCS final 4, after we see a huge out flux of talent (without a requirement to sit a year) and a slashed budget? Well be thoroughly 50ish percentile in no time.


Cool. Thoroughly 50ish percentile sounds familiar. The difference is that in one scenario we have a chance of playing for something meaningful. In the other, we don't. We know nobody cares about the Potato Bowl already, because we keep losing money to play in it. At least the other scenario might jog loose something resembling student and alumni interest.

Last Edited: 9/3/2020 3:41:25 PM by Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On US33 between Athens and Madison Co., OH
Post Count: 7,548

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 3:52:12 PM 
mf279801 wrote:
You think its that likely wed be playing in an FCS final 4, after we see a huge out flux of talent (without a requirement to sit a year) and a slashed budget? Well be thoroughly 50ish percentile in no time.


Given the top shelf recruiting classes we hear about every year, we'll probably be left with no alternative but to field a squad with walk-on's, while we watch four dozen players go play in P5 conferences.
Back to Top
  
Kinggeorge4
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Guysville, OH
Post Count: 780

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 4:13:29 PM 
I've been to many games at the 1-AA level and do not see the level of interest you all are mentioning except with family. These were teams in the playoffs or the hunt. If we went down, Peden will be fairly empty within a few years. I just do not see it. If we need to drop, just eliminate athletics on a whole.


GO BOBCATS
GEORGE

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,121

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 4:36:32 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:


There's no question in my mind that OU playing in a final four at the FCS level would get more student attention than the Whatever-the-hell Bowl against Troy State. Students and alumni don't care because there's no reason to. At least we'd be playing for something at the FCS level.


How many people can name last year's 1AA final four without looking it up? (I had to.) Or even the final two or the champion? These games are played in the middle of bowl season when all the hype is centered on the 1A teams. Here's a hint: the final eight teams were from Illinois, Iowa, Montana, North Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Virginia.

And unless we were to finish somewhere in the top eight teams, we would be playing true road games at least past the first round. That would certainly increase our travel costs.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,730

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 4:44:20 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:


There's no question in my mind that OU playing in a final four at the FCS level would get more student attention than the Whatever-the-hell Bowl against Troy State. Students and alumni don't care because there's no reason to. At least we'd be playing for something at the FCS level.


How many people can name last year's 1AA final four without looking it up? (I had to.) Or even the final two or the champion? These games are played in the middle of bowl season when all the hype is centered on the 1A teams. Here's a hint: the final eight teams were from Illinois, Iowa, Montana, North Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Virginia.

And unless we were to finish somewhere in the top eight teams, we would be playing true road games at least past the first round. That would certainly increase our travel costs.


The same number that can tell you who was in the Potato Bowl? Or the Mobile Alabama Bowl that can't keep a consistent sponsor for more than a year?

Here's a better question, of the schools in the final four -- what percentage of their student body could tell you who they played in that final four game? Do you think it's higher or lower than the percentage of OU students that can tell you who we played in the Destination XL Bowl?

As for the true road games, you want to share the economics of our playing a Bowl game in Boise, Mobile, the Bahamas, or Shreveport? Big pay day there? Or does it cost us a couple hundred thousand dollars every time?
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,121

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 5:57:43 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:


There's no question in my mind that OU playing in a final four at the FCS level would get more student attention than the Whatever-the-hell Bowl against Troy State. Students and alumni don't care because there's no reason to. At least we'd be playing for something at the FCS level.


How many people can name last year's 1AA final four without looking it up? (I had to.) Or even the final two or the champion? These games are played in the middle of bowl season when all the hype is centered on the 1A teams. Here's a hint: the final eight teams were from Illinois, Iowa, Montana, North Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Virginia.

And unless we were to finish somewhere in the top eight teams, we would be playing true road games at least past the first round. That would certainly increase our travel costs.


The same number that can tell you who was in the Potato Bowl? Or the Mobile Alabama Bowl that can't keep a consistent sponsor for more than a year?

Here's a better question, of the schools in the final four -- what percentage of their student body could tell you who they played in that final four game? Do you think it's higher or lower than the percentage of OU students that can tell you who we played in the Destination XL Bowl?

As for the true road games, you want to share the economics of our playing a Bowl game in Boise, Mobile, the Bahamas, or Shreveport? Big pay day there? Or does it cost us a couple hundred thousand dollars every time?


My guess is that it cost less to send our team to one bowl game than it would to send them to two or three true road games just to get to the final four. As for the actual percentage of students who could tell us who we played (remember, we're talking about Ohio students, not students at other schools), given that the average student doesn't know who or where we play from week to week during the regular season, I doubt that adding two or three games in December (during or after finals) against teams they probably never heard of (Nicholls State, Weber State, e.g.) would create any more interest among Ohio students.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
NashvilleKat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Post Count: 78

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 8:27:53 PM 
I told a business client the other day where I went to school. He said aren't they the green team that plays well in bowls. 20 years ago, they would have asked me if I went to TOSU. To say nothing about a 3 and a half hour commercial on ESPN. Good luck doing that as FCS.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,772

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 8:46:13 PM 
NashvilleKat wrote:
I told a business client the other day where I went to school. He said aren't they the green team that plays well in bowls. 20 years ago, they would have asked me if I went to TOSU. To say nothing about a 3 and a half hour commercial on ESPN. Good luck doing that as FCS.


Excellent point, NK.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,730

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 8:55:39 PM 
NashvilleKat wrote:
I told a business client the other day where I went to school. He said aren't they the green team that plays well in bowls. 20 years ago, they would have asked me if I went to TOSU. To say nothing about a 3 and a half hour commercial on ESPN. Good luck doing that as FCS.


When we went to the Sweet 16, there was a provable impact on applicants.

Have our bowl appearances had any of the same impact? I mean, I get 'the green team that plays well in bowls' is better than 'Ah, the Buckeyes', but it's also a long ways from the sort of brand recognition people purchase commercials to achieve.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 511

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/3/2020 10:08:14 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
NashvilleKat wrote:
I told a business client the other day where I went to school. He said aren't they the green team that plays well in bowls. 20 years ago, they would have asked me if I went to TOSU. To say nothing about a 3 and a half hour commercial on ESPN. Good luck doing that as FCS.


When we went to the Sweet 16, there was a provable impact on applicants.

Have our bowl appearances had any of the same impact? I mean, I get 'the green team that plays well in bowls' is better than 'Ah, the Buckeyes', but it's also a long ways from the sort of brand recognition people purchase commercials to achieve.


Remember when the Bobcats went to the sweet 16 it was a fantastic experience, but once again it was a second chance opportunity. The Bobcats hoops team was not one of the top teams during the regular season. They ended up third in the east. Third place doesn't cut it in football. Let's turn the tables and give the football team second chance opportunities after the regular season is done year after year and see what happens. Taking nothing away from the basketball program, but every NCAA appearance since Larry Hunter was a second opportunity that football does not get because in football the Bobcats have to be one of the top seeds.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,560

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/4/2020 3:31:07 AM 
Bobcat1996 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
NashvilleKat wrote:
I told a business client the other day where I went to school. He said aren't they the green team that plays well in bowls. 20 years ago, they would have asked me if I went to TOSU. To say nothing about a 3 and a half hour commercial on ESPN. Good luck doing that as FCS.


When we went to the Sweet 16, there was a provable impact on applicants.

Have our bowl appearances had any of the same impact? I mean, I get 'the green team that plays well in bowls' is better than 'Ah, the Buckeyes', but it's also a long ways from the sort of brand recognition people purchase commercials to achieve.


Remember when the Bobcats went to the sweet 16 it was a fantastic experience, but once again it was a second chance opportunity. The Bobcats hoops team was not one of the top teams during the regular season. They ended up third in the east. Third place doesn't cut it in football. Let's turn the tables and give the football team second chance opportunities after the regular season is done year after year and see what happens. Taking nothing away from the basketball program, but every NCAA appearance since Larry Hunter was a second opportunity that football does not get because in football the Bobcats have to be one of the top seeds.


I guess you missed the part about in the FCS playoffs, if you do not win your conference you probably aint goning anywhere but home for the holidays.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,730

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/4/2020 6:14:31 AM 
Bobcat1996 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
NashvilleKat wrote:
I told a business client the other day where I went to school. He said aren't they the green team that plays well in bowls. 20 years ago, they would have asked me if I went to TOSU. To say nothing about a 3 and a half hour commercial on ESPN. Good luck doing that as FCS.


When we went to the Sweet 16, there was a provable impact on applicants.

Have our bowl appearances had any of the same impact? I mean, I get 'the green team that plays well in bowls' is better than 'Ah, the Buckeyes', but it's also a long ways from the sort of brand recognition people purchase commercials to achieve.


Remember when the Bobcats went to the sweet 16 it was a fantastic experience, but once again it was a second chance opportunity. The Bobcats hoops team was not one of the top teams during the regular season. They ended up third in the east. Third place doesn't cut it in football. Let's turn the tables and give the football team second chance opportunities after the regular season is done year after year and see what happens. Taking nothing away from the basketball program, but every NCAA appearance since Larry Hunter was a second opportunity that football does not get because in football the Bobcats have to be one of the top seeds.


So the argument here is that we should stay in FBS because we're never going to be good enough to compete in FCS?

Ohio Football: That green team that loses too many games to make a playoff at any level. Feel the excitement!

Last Edited: 9/4/2020 8:27:14 AM by Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,730

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/4/2020 8:36:29 AM 
Pataskala wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:


There's no question in my mind that OU playing in a final four at the FCS level would get more student attention than the Whatever-the-hell Bowl against Troy State. Students and alumni don't care because there's no reason to. At least we'd be playing for something at the FCS level.


How many people can name last year's 1AA final four without looking it up? (I had to.) Or even the final two or the champion? These games are played in the middle of bowl season when all the hype is centered on the 1A teams. Here's a hint: the final eight teams were from Illinois, Iowa, Montana, North Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Virginia.

And unless we were to finish somewhere in the top eight teams, we would be playing true road games at least past the first round. That would certainly increase our travel costs.


The same number that can tell you who was in the Potato Bowl? Or the Mobile Alabama Bowl that can't keep a consistent sponsor for more than a year?

Here's a better question, of the schools in the final four -- what percentage of their student body could tell you who they played in that final four game? Do you think it's higher or lower than the percentage of OU students that can tell you who we played in the Destination XL Bowl?

As for the true road games, you want to share the economics of our playing a Bowl game in Boise, Mobile, the Bahamas, or Shreveport? Big pay day there? Or does it cost us a couple hundred thousand dollars every time?


My guess is that it cost less to send our team to one bowl game than it would to send them to two or three true road games just to get to the final four. As for the actual percentage of students who could tell us who we played (remember, we're talking about Ohio students, not students at other schools), given that the average student doesn't know who or where we play from week to week during the regular season, I doubt that adding two or three games in December (during or after finals) against teams they probably never heard of (Nicholls State, Weber State, e.g.) would create any more interest among Ohio students.


No question one game costs less than three, but in one scenario here you're paying for three true road games because you're playing for a national championship.

In the other, you're forced to buy a bunch of tickets, pay for travel for a few hundred people to a small, regional city, and put them up in a hotel for a week to get -- consistently -- the lowest ratings of any bowl game.

In 2017, the Bahamas Bowl had 1.3 million viewers. That same year, the FCS Championship game had 1.5 million viewers. The FCS semifinals had another 1 million viewers. Playing in those two games gets you more TV exposure. And, of course, you are playing for something real.

On the other hand, you may well be right that those additional games won't end up leading to more student interest. It's possible that ship's sailed for good. But at least there's a glimmer of hope at the FCS level, right? Where as currently, the gap between P5/G5 is growing, we're not eligible for basically anything that matters, and students and alumni pretty much ignore football. The status quo isn't working -- I tend towards challenging it, in that case.
Back to Top
  
SouthernCat
General User

Member Since: 1/3/2005
Post Count: 140

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/4/2020 9:35:09 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:


There's no question in my mind that OU playing in a final four at the FCS level would get more student attention than the Whatever-the-hell Bowl against Troy State. Students and alumni don't care because there's no reason to. At least we'd be playing for something at the FCS level.


How many people can name last year's 1AA final four without looking it up? (I had to.) Or even the final two or the champion? These games are played in the middle of bowl season when all the hype is centered on the 1A teams. Here's a hint: the final eight teams were from Illinois, Iowa, Montana, North Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Virginia.

And unless we were to finish somewhere in the top eight teams, we would be playing true road games at least past the first round. That would certainly increase our travel costs.


The same number that can tell you who was in the Potato Bowl? Or the Mobile Alabama Bowl that can't keep a consistent sponsor for more than a year?

Here's a better question, of the schools in the final four -- what percentage of their student body could tell you who they played in that final four game? Do you think it's higher or lower than the percentage of OU students that can tell you who we played in the Destination XL Bowl?

As for the true road games, you want to share the economics of our playing a Bowl game in Boise, Mobile, the Bahamas, or Shreveport? Big pay day there? Or does it cost us a couple hundred thousand dollars every time?


My guess is that it cost less to send our team to one bowl game than it would to send them to two or three true road games just to get to the final four. As for the actual percentage of students who could tell us who we played (remember, we're talking about Ohio students, not students at other schools), given that the average student doesn't know who or where we play from week to week during the regular season, I doubt that adding two or three games in December (during or after finals) against teams they probably never heard of (Nicholls State, Weber State, e.g.) would create any more interest among Ohio students.


No question one game costs less than three, but in one scenario here you're paying for three true road games because you're playing for a national championship.

In the other, you're forced to buy a bunch of tickets, pay for travel for a few hundred people to a small, regional city, and put them up in a hotel for a week to get -- consistently -- the lowest ratings of any bowl game.

In 2017, the Bahamas Bowl had 1.3 million viewers. That same year, the FCS Championship game had 1.5 million viewers. The FCS semifinals had another 1 million viewers. Playing in those two games gets you more TV exposure. And, of course, you are playing for something real.

On the other hand, you may well be right that those additional games won't end up leading to more student interest. It's possible that ship's sailed for good. But at least there's a glimmer of hope at the FCS level, right? Where as currently, the gap between P5/G5 is growing, we're not eligible for basically anything that matters, and students and alumni pretty much ignore football. The status quo isn't working -- I tend towards challenging it, in that case.

The NCAA covers travel for its post-season tournaments.
Back to Top
  
Club Hyatt
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,041

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/4/2020 9:39:38 AM 
Pataskala wrote:
Bobcat1996 wrote:
I like option C...break the Non-P5 into new tier of college football with a playoff. I hate the concept of being in a "division" that we absolutely have 0 chance of ever winning. Even consistent programs that play a tough schedule and go undefeated have proven it won't happen. Just created a different division...still play P5 teams in non-conference.


Right with you Andrew not a bad suggestion!


That's likely to happen within the next five years. The bar is just too high for G5 teams to make the playoff, even if it expands to eight teams. A G5 (or 4, if the American Conf is let into the "P" club) playoff would be good, especially if the championship is played at one of the NY6 bowls.


At the moment too there are P5 bowls and G5 bowls. G5 bowls are mostly owned by ESPN so I think in a split situation the G5 continues to have those bowl games. But of the P5 bowl games are for P5 teams with propped up records from playing G5 teams every year. How many bowls could the P5 realistically support if they moved to a conference only season? About 16-18 not the 40 FBS supports overall as it does now.

Would the G5 keep the bowl tradition alive and the P5 goes to an 8 team playoff? That as I can see as one possibility. Then G5 could have media polls vote on a champion after the bowls instead of a mini playoff like we've had in FBS since the 90's. But work with ESPN to set up the bowls more by ranking so the games are more marketable and perhaps make a rule to play in a bowl game (require 7 wins) to make it more of a reward. With the P5 not around the G5 can set its own rules.

Interesting if it comes about. Likely we'll see an 8 team playoff if FBS continues on in its current format in another 5 years which could have a spot for the G5 and/or more access bowls.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,177

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/4/2020 10:35:56 AM 
People get excited when you play for something at the end of the year. Right now we have no chance of playing for something at the end of the year.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 511

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/4/2020 3:01:18 PM 
Actually in football only a handful of schools "play for something" at the end of the season. If one is talking about a national title. We all can name those 10-15 schools every year. Rutgers, Indiana, Duke, Vandy, Syracuse, Boston College, Kansas, Kansas State, Purdue, Mississippi St and a host of others are not included in that group.

Last Edited: 9/4/2020 3:02:51 PM by Bobcat1996

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,730

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/4/2020 3:17:30 PM 
Bobcat1996 wrote:
Actually in football only a handful of schools "play for something" at the end of the season. If one is talking about a national title. We all can name those 10-15 schools every year. Rutgers, Indiana, Duke, Vandy, Syracuse, Boston College, Kansas, Kansas State, Purdue, Mississippi St and a host of others are not included in that group.


But they're eligible for it. They don't play for it, because they suck.

We're not eligible. If Syracuse goes 12-0, it means they beat FSU, Clemson, Miami, Virginia Tech, etc. and are gonna get a playoff berth.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,529

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/4/2020 3:47:01 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Bobcat1996 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
NashvilleKat wrote:
I told a business client the other day where I went to school. He said aren't they the green team that plays well in bowls. 20 years ago, they would have asked me if I went to TOSU. To say nothing about a 3 and a half hour commercial on ESPN. Good luck doing that as FCS.


When we went to the Sweet 16, there was a provable impact on applicants.

Have our bowl appearances had any of the same impact? I mean, I get 'the green team that plays well in bowls' is better than 'Ah, the Buckeyes', but it's also a long ways from the sort of brand recognition people purchase commercials to achieve.


Remember when the Bobcats went to the sweet 16 it was a fantastic experience, but once again it was a second chance opportunity. The Bobcats hoops team was not one of the top teams during the regular season. They ended up third in the east. Third place doesn't cut it in football. Let's turn the tables and give the football team second chance opportunities after the regular season is done year after year and see what happens. Taking nothing away from the basketball program, but every NCAA appearance since Larry Hunter was a second opportunity that football does not get because in football the Bobcats have to be one of the top seeds.


So the argument here is that we should stay in FBS because we're never going to be good enough to compete in FCS?

Ohio Football: That green team that loses too many games to make a playoff at any level. Feel the excitement!


I feel like you missed an opportunity here.

GET AGITATED!!!
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,529

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/4/2020 3:52:59 PM 
Bobcat1996 wrote:
Actually in football only a handful of schools "play for something" at the end of the season. If one is talking about a national title. We all can name those 10-15 schools every year. Rutgers, Indiana, Duke, Vandy, Syracuse, Boston College, Kansas, Kansas State, Purdue, Mississippi St and a host of others are not included in that group.


All of these schools you list have at least seen the light, been close enough touch it, and as Sense of Shame pointed out at least have a shot at winning it. Hell, Kansas went 12-1 in 2007 and was a bad quarter of football from it. KANSAS.

The G5 can see the light but it's dim and fading fast. They'll never get close in this current system unless there is a season where all hell breaks loose.

Last Edited: 9/4/2020 3:53:24 PM by GoCats105

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,177

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: How would you feel if the MAC dropped to FCS?
   Posted: 9/4/2020 8:42:50 PM 
GoCats105 wrote:
Bobcat1996 wrote:
Actually in football only a handful of schools "play for something" at the end of the season. If one is talking about a national title. We all can name those 10-15 schools every year. Rutgers, Indiana, Duke, Vandy, Syracuse, Boston College, Kansas, Kansas State, Purdue, Mississippi St and a host of others are not included in that group.


All of these schools you list have at least seen the light, been close enough touch it, and as Sense of Shame pointed out at least have a shot at winning it. Hell, Kansas went 12-1 in 2007 and was a bad quarter of football from it. KANSAS.

The G5 can see the light but it's dim and fading fast. They'll never get close in this current system unless there is a season where all hell breaks loose.


Kind of like an abused spouse who hopes someday there will be change in the household.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  101 - 125  of 127 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties