Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?

Topic:  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
Author
Message
SVAC83
General User

Member Since: 10/1/2019
Post Count: 95

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 6:53:17 PM 
My only problem with all the restrictions and what we say we can and cant do. Is just that we are capable of doing more then 1 thing at a time.

I think sports can be played a little amount of people can attend those sports and we still can be keeping everyone extremely safe. Or not be dangerous. I understand if you do not want to attend. I will not argue with anyone on the fact that we are not ready to have jam packed crowds.

But i think a lot of places even inside that should be able to hod 10 to 15 percent at this time. I don't have a problem with conferences not allowing it.

My local sheriff says calls of domestic disputes the last 3 months were 200% increase over same period a year ago. They say they are seeing so many more people who are having mental problems being coupe up and not allowed to do things.

I am not saying we should be back to normal but we have found out so many things over the last 12 months that we have the capability and knowledge to do a lot of things smartly.

And i am not a person that thinks it is all sports related their is a lot of people missing their socializing at church or at other things.

the 3 nursing homes in my area reported 97% of employees that were authorized the vaccine signed up and got it. The local hospital over 90% of people who have been offered has taken the vaccine.

Now when it moves on to wear your asking the people not in direct patient care i am sure that number will go way down.

When someone tells me i can get the vaccine i will be in line to get mine.

I don't have problem with people who believe we shouldn't be playing sports right now. They are entitle to their opinion. I respect their opinion i just disagree with it.

For me personally i don't have to attend a game in person. But i can tell you from someone who has been averaging about 60 hours a week working for the last nine months and all the crap i have to deal with.

You cannot imagine the good that tuning the world out and tuning in to a game for a hour or two does for my mental health and outlook. And that is something that needs to be thought about also.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,406

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 8:15:55 PM 
Kevin Finnegan wrote:
Alan,

Great question. This year certainly has been odd and one that I wouldn't want to repeat. It's been the most trying one as an administrator and there have been fights, discussions, disagreements, and challenges I'd never experienced before. Our learning has certainly suffered due to a couple of factors. Students are cohorted, not interacting with students outside of their classroom. That means no grade-level recess, no separate PE, no other specials outside of the classroom, no teachers sharing students for interventions. Students are primarily confined to their classroom or for individual class recess (and also lunch out of the room).

So, to answer your question about the effectiveness of learning, we are running the option of remote learning and also offering in-person learning. About 8% of our population has selected remote learning (though more are consistently choosing to return to in-person learning). For them, I would unfortunately put the learning at about a 2-3 on the scale. We are using professional teachers, zoom, supplied technology, etc, but it's quite difficult to build strong emergent readers through virtual learning. As for our in-person learning, even with mask wearing (which has not been an issue for students at all...staff is sometimes a different story), we are seeing significant academic gains. Our social-emotional gains feel a bit strained, but at least they are interacting with a group of peers. I would say that, if our usual school year would be a 10, this year we are hovering around the 7 neighborhood. Our raw scores from diagnostic assessments are on par with previous years, however I know there is much lost without the specials, without the interaction from other classes, and without utilizing all of our teacher resources like we have in the past.


So here in Athens, we started remote for everyone for the first couple of months. That said, 35% of our students opted for remote/online for the entire year. We are now hybrid with half of the 65% in-person Tuesday and Wednesday and the other cohort Thursday and Friday. My fear is that if we don't do some enrichment/remediation this summer and promote all of the kids as we normally do from one year to the other and try to pick up as if it was the normal first day of school in August, we are going to have a significant number of students way behind (whatever that means).

Back to Top
  
SVAC83
General User

Member Since: 10/1/2019
Post Count: 95

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 8:46:51 PM 
I am glad i don't have high school grade kids anymore. if you asked me to choose get kids back in school full time or sports. Of course i would want kids back full time. I worry about the big earning gaps we are going to have. And not that our teachers don't have enough to worry about.

I think the dysfunctional school year we have had is going to leave teachers more problems for years to come. Several of the people i work with don't have reliable internet at home and their students are falling behind, or their parents think they are. The parents are frustrated because they cant do the kids work because they don't understand the work.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 7,150

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 11:00:29 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:

I think we all have to keep in mind there are various opinions and views about this entire Covid issue and how it is being dealt with.



Example of an Opinion: "I think the collateral damage of our handling of Covid might be worse than the virus itself."

Example of a statement of fact: "Being injured or killed in a car crash going to or from the game is much more likely than contracting this virus."



Oh, shocking! Both, the posters opinion and the posters fact just happen to be wrong.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 7,150

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/26/2021 11:02:11 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
Kevin Finnegan wrote:
Alan,

Great question. This year certainly has been odd and one that I wouldn't want to repeat. It's been the most trying one as an administrator and there have been fights, discussions, disagreements, and challenges I'd never experienced before. Our learning has certainly suffered due to a couple of factors. Students are cohorted, not interacting with students outside of their classroom. That means no grade-level recess, no separate PE, no other specials outside of the classroom, no teachers sharing students for interventions. Students are primarily confined to their classroom or for individual class recess (and also lunch out of the room).

So, to answer your question about the effectiveness of learning, we are running the option of remote learning and also offering in-person learning. About 8% of our population has selected remote learning (though more are consistently choosing to return to in-person learning). For them, I would unfortunately put the learning at about a 2-3 on the scale. We are using professional teachers, zoom, supplied technology, etc, but it's quite difficult to build strong emergent readers through virtual learning. As for our in-person learning, even with mask wearing (which has not been an issue for students at all...staff is sometimes a different story), we are seeing significant academic gains. Our social-emotional gains feel a bit strained, but at least they are interacting with a group of peers. I would say that, if our usual school year would be a 10, this year we are hovering around the 7 neighborhood. Our raw scores from diagnostic assessments are on par with previous years, however I know there is much lost without the specials, without the interaction from other classes, and without utilizing all of our teacher resources like we have in the past.


So here in Athens, we started remote for everyone for the first couple of months. That said, 35% of our students opted for remote/online for the entire year. We are now hybrid with half of the 65% in-person Tuesday and Wednesday and the other cohort Thursday and Friday. My fear is that if we don't do some enrichment/remediation this summer and promote all of the kids as we normally do from one year to the other and try to pick up as if it was the normal first day of school in August, we are going to have a significant number of students way behind (whatever that means).



Good luck getting summer school or remediation out of your district. They are too busy trying to pay the Superintendents salary to worry about “every learner every day”
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,900

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/27/2021 7:32:36 AM 
Alan Swank wrote:

My fear is that if we don't do some enrichment/remediation this summer and promote all of the kids as we normally do from one year to the other and try to pick up as if it was the normal first day of school in August, we are going to have a significant number of students way behind (whatever that means).



Most K-12 public schools in northern NJ are remote only.
Some districts hope to do some type of hybrid starting in March.

According to an article in the local paper,educators,including people
in the State's Department of Education,believe that,without some type
of remedial learning,come next September, K-8 students will be about
1 year behind.

Right now a bunch of local school districts are trying to access students with
some type of testing.

Its all being done remotely.
Unfortunately,they're finding a number of parents had been
"helping" their kids,so they get better test results.
Once that got out,more parents started doing it.




Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,406

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/27/2021 9:14:17 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
Kevin Finnegan wrote:
Alan,

Great question. This year certainly has been odd and one that I wouldn't want to repeat. It's been the most trying one as an administrator and there have been fights, discussions, disagreements, and challenges I'd never experienced before. Our learning has certainly suffered due to a couple of factors. Students are cohorted, not interacting with students outside of their classroom. That means no grade-level recess, no separate PE, no other specials outside of the classroom, no teachers sharing students for interventions. Students are primarily confined to their classroom or for individual class recess (and also lunch out of the room).

So, to answer your question about the effectiveness of learning, we are running the option of remote learning and also offering in-person learning. About 8% of our population has selected remote learning (though more are consistently choosing to return to in-person learning). For them, I would unfortunately put the learning at about a 2-3 on the scale. We are using professional teachers, zoom, supplied technology, etc, but it's quite difficult to build strong emergent readers through virtual learning. As for our in-person learning, even with mask wearing (which has not been an issue for students at all...staff is sometimes a different story), we are seeing significant academic gains. Our social-emotional gains feel a bit strained, but at least they are interacting with a group of peers. I would say that, if our usual school year would be a 10, this year we are hovering around the 7 neighborhood. Our raw scores from diagnostic assessments are on par with previous years, however I know there is much lost without the specials, without the interaction from other classes, and without utilizing all of our teacher resources like we have in the past.


So here in Athens, we started remote for everyone for the first couple of months. That said, 35% of our students opted for remote/online for the entire year. We are now hybrid with half of the 65% in-person Tuesday and Wednesday and the other cohort Thursday and Friday. My fear is that if we don't do some enrichment/remediation this summer and promote all of the kids as we normally do from one year to the other and try to pick up as if it was the normal first day of school in August, we are going to have a significant number of students way behind (whatever that means).



Good luck getting summer school or remediation out of your district. They are too busy trying to pay the Superintendents salary to worry about “every learner every day”


Our/your district is in line for another $2.4 million in Covid related money. I asked a supt yesterday in an Ohio district that is in session five days a week the same question I asked Kevin. The supt said a 5 or 6. Imagine what a district that has only been going two days a week would rank.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 7,150

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/27/2021 9:42:20 AM 
Alan Swank wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
Kevin Finnegan wrote:
Alan,

Great question. This year certainly has been odd and one that I wouldn't want to repeat. It's been the most trying one as an administrator and there have been fights, discussions, disagreements, and challenges I'd never experienced before. Our learning has certainly suffered due to a couple of factors. Students are cohorted, not interacting with students outside of their classroom. That means no grade-level recess, no separate PE, no other specials outside of the classroom, no teachers sharing students for interventions. Students are primarily confined to their classroom or for individual class recess (and also lunch out of the room).

So, to answer your question about the effectiveness of learning, we are running the option of remote learning and also offering in-person learning. About 8% of our population has selected remote learning (though more are consistently choosing to return to in-person learning). For them, I would unfortunately put the learning at about a 2-3 on the scale. We are using professional teachers, zoom, supplied technology, etc, but it's quite difficult to build strong emergent readers through virtual learning. As for our in-person learning, even with mask wearing (which has not been an issue for students at all...staff is sometimes a different story), we are seeing significant academic gains. Our social-emotional gains feel a bit strained, but at least they are interacting with a group of peers. I would say that, if our usual school year would be a 10, this year we are hovering around the 7 neighborhood. Our raw scores from diagnostic assessments are on par with previous years, however I know there is much lost without the specials, without the interaction from other classes, and without utilizing all of our teacher resources like we have in the past.


So here in Athens, we started remote for everyone for the first couple of months. That said, 35% of our students opted for remote/online for the entire year. We are now hybrid with half of the 65% in-person Tuesday and Wednesday and the other cohort Thursday and Friday. My fear is that if we don't do some enrichment/remediation this summer and promote all of the kids as we normally do from one year to the other and try to pick up as if it was the normal first day of school in August, we are going to have a significant number of students way behind (whatever that means).



Good luck getting summer school or remediation out of your district. They are too busy trying to pay the Superintendents salary to worry about “every learner every day”


Our/your district is in line for another $2.4 million in Covid related money. I asked a supt yesterday in an Ohio district that is in session five days a week the same question I asked Kevin. The supt said a 5 or 6. Imagine what a district that has only been going two days a week would rank.



In speaking with several superintendents they are receiving more money than they can actually spend.
Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On the road between Athens and Madison County
Post Count: 7,728

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/27/2021 10:23:23 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:

I think we all have to keep in mind there are various opinions and views about this entire Covid issue and how it is being dealt with.



Example of an Opinion: "I think the collateral damage of our handling of Covid might be worse than the virus itself."

Example of a statement of fact: "Being injured or killed in a car crash going to or from the game is much more likely than contracting this virus."



Oh, shocking! Both, the posters opinion and the posters fact just happen to be wrong.


If we generally agree that everyone is allowed their own opinion, how is an opinion wrong? For what it's worth, I think there's something to the particular opinion above. I surely don't have any solutions to what the right thing to do is for OUr state, and the country as a whole, other than what I thought about for myself last night. Everyone could apply this logic to their own situation:


The farther we get into the dreary Ohio winter, and what is typically college basketball season, the more bummed I've felt. College hoops, cheering on this basketball team, and visiting Athens, is pretty much my biggest escape throughout the ugly and sometimes depressing times of winter

In the last 24 hours, I've asserted to myself than I'm going to do my best to quit focusing on the fact that I haven't been to Athens in a year, or any sporting event in 11 months -- both things I would have done several times in that same window of time -- and instead, I'm going to focus on what I CAN DO.

Which is, I can get my ass outside and hike, or do other things outside and just wear layers. I can look for a second job to pay down debt to occupy my time instead. I can learn a new skill for the future. I can (I've already done a ton of this) get work done around my house so I can "play" when we can finally get into a basketball arena, ballpark, or racetrack.

I think it's really key to think about what we CAN do, and be thankful for what we have rather than being annoyed and angry about what we can't do right now. I have failed at it since it got too cold out to gather with friends outside. I'm going to dig in and start focusing on what I can do moving forward, or get creative about things moving forward.

Cheers y'all.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,020

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/27/2021 11:11:36 AM 
OU_Country wrote:

If we generally agree that everyone is allowed their own opinion, how is an opinion wrong? For what it's worth, I think there's something to the particular opinion above. I surely don't have any solutions to what the right thing to do is for OUr state, and the country as a whole, other than what I thought about for myself last night.


In a vacuum, I don't have a huge problem with the opinion that the collateral damage of the virus has been very bad, and may well outweigh the damage that an unchecked virus may have caused on it's own. I'm not sure if I agree, but understand the viewpoint.

However, in this case, it's hard to disconnect that opinion from the completely hyperbolic and outright false factual claim that the virus is less dangerous than driving to drive to and from a basketball game.

If you believe the second, I suspect you're much more inclined to believe the first. And any discussion of how to weigh the collateral damage of the response to the virus really depends on an accurate view of how dangerous the virus is. The lack of shared facts there -- ohiobobcat1 doesn't think the case numbers or death numbers are accurate -- makes it a pretty pointless conversation to have.

To me, the real crux of the national conversation is that there are basically two camps:

1) A group that believes we didn't do enough to address the virus, and
2) A group that believes we went overboard in our approach to the virus

And the reason it's such a difficult conversation is that both sides are absolutely correct.

Group 1 is justified because we've done far too little to address the economic impact, and have failed from a testing and vaccine infrastructure standpoint.

Group 2 is correct because components of the response have been too punitive (school closures, for instance) and based less on evidence than on early interpretations of what was safe and what wasn't.

Then, of course, there's group 3 that thinks this is just the flu and was all just politics. They don't warrant anybody's time or attention because they're not serious people. If there's anything the last month should have taught us, it's that humoring crazy people and their crazy ideas is dangerous. America needs to start demanding more of its citizens.

Last Edited: 1/27/2021 11:22:31 AM by Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame

Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/27/2021 11:22:13 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
OU_Country wrote:

If we generally agree that everyone is allowed their own opinion, how is an opinion wrong? For what it's worth, I think there's something to the particular opinion above. I surely don't have any solutions to what the right thing to do is for OUr state, and the country as a whole, other than what I thought about for myself last night.


In a vacuum, I don't have a huge problem with the opinion that the collateral damage of the virus has been very bad, and may well outweigh the damage that an unchecked virus may have caused on it's own. I'm not sure if I agree, but understand the viewpoint.

However, in this case, it's hard to disconnect that opinion from the completely hyperbolic and outright false factual claim that the virus is less dangerous than driving to drive to and from a basketball game.

If you believe the second, I suspect you're much more inclined to believe the first. And any discussion of how to weigh the collateral damage of the response to the virus really depends on an accurate view of how dangerous the virus is.

The lack of shared facts there -- ohiobobcat1 doesn't think the case numbers or death numbers are accurate -- makes it a pretty pointless conversation to have.

To me, the real crux of the national conversation is that there are basically two camps:

1) A group that believes we didn't do enough to address the virus, and
2) A group that believes we went overboard in our approach to the virus

And the reason it's such a difficult conversation is that both sides are absolutely correct.

Group 1 is justified because we've done far too little to address the economic impact, and have failed from a testing and vaccine infrastructure standpoint.

Group 2 is correct because components of the response have been too punitive (school closures, for instance) and based less on evidence than on early interpretations of what was safe and what wasn't.



On this we can agree.

A few posts back I corrected my "factual" statement about the dangers of driving to and from a game to say that I felt it was more dangerous for ME to drive to and from the game than actually contracting the virus.

I fall into group 2. The economic impact has been beyond belief not to mention the impact on childhood development and education. I think the finances and stability of untold households has been needlessly destroyed due to many of our elected leaders feeling the need to do "something".

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,406

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/27/2021 1:13:45 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
Kevin Finnegan wrote:
Alan,

Great question. This year certainly has been odd and one that I wouldn't want to repeat. It's been the most trying one as an administrator and there have been fights, discussions, disagreements, and challenges I'd never experienced before. Our learning has certainly suffered due to a couple of factors. Students are cohorted, not interacting with students outside of their classroom. That means no grade-level recess, no separate PE, no other specials outside of the classroom, no teachers sharing students for interventions. Students are primarily confined to their classroom or for individual class recess (and also lunch out of the room).

So, to answer your question about the effectiveness of learning, we are running the option of remote learning and also offering in-person learning. About 8% of our population has selected remote learning (though more are consistently choosing to return to in-person learning). For them, I would unfortunately put the learning at about a 2-3 on the scale. We are using professional teachers, zoom, supplied technology, etc, but it's quite difficult to build strong emergent readers through virtual learning. As for our in-person learning, even with mask wearing (which has not been an issue for students at all...staff is sometimes a different story), we are seeing significant academic gains. Our social-emotional gains feel a bit strained, but at least they are interacting with a group of peers. I would say that, if our usual school year would be a 10, this year we are hovering around the 7 neighborhood. Our raw scores from diagnostic assessments are on par with previous years, however I know there is much lost without the specials, without the interaction from other classes, and without utilizing all of our teacher resources like we have in the past.


So here in Athens, we started remote for everyone for the first couple of months. That said, 35% of our students opted for remote/online for the entire year. We are now hybrid with half of the 65% in-person Tuesday and Wednesday and the other cohort Thursday and Friday. My fear is that if we don't do some enrichment/remediation this summer and promote all of the kids as we normally do from one year to the other and try to pick up as if it was the normal first day of school in August, we are going to have a significant number of students way behind (whatever that means).



Good luck getting summer school or remediation out of your district. They are too busy trying to pay the Superintendents salary to worry about “every learner every day”


Our/your district is in line for another $2.4 million in Covid related money. I asked a supt yesterday in an Ohio district that is in session five days a week the same question I asked Kevin. The supt said a 5 or 6. Imagine what a district that has only been going two days a week would rank.



In speaking with several superintendents they are receiving more money than they can actually spend.


Yes and no. I've heard the same thing but their line of thinking is spending on things that they've been spending on. The summer school idea is a nw concept that many can't seem to grasp and would be a responsible use of those funds as opposed to playing shell games.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 7,150

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/27/2021 3:30:40 PM 
Al, good luck at responsible use of funds
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,911

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands? (NT)
   Posted: 1/27/2021 3:54:05 PM 

Last Edited: 1/27/2021 5:23:45 PM by shabamon

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,873

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/27/2021 9:36:37 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
[QUOTE=ohiocatfan1]

In my opinion we are not even close to the 7th inning of this thing. Statistics show that over 1/2 of Ohio healthcare workers are refusing the vaccine. The numbers among the general public will no doubt be worse.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/01/02/large-n...



Once large numbers of people get vaccinated and there are no demonstrated ill effects, I expect enough of the folks refusing vaccines to eventually relent and get us to herd immunity.


I got some insight today. My psychiatrist declined the vaccine because she didn't think she needed it before some others. I suspect a lot of those refusals are on similar grounds.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/28/2021 12:18:10 PM 
JSF wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
[QUOTE=ohiocatfan1]

In my opinion we are not even close to the 7th inning of this thing. Statistics show that over 1/2 of Ohio healthcare workers are refusing the vaccine. The numbers among the general public will no doubt be worse.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/01/02/large-n...



Once large numbers of people get vaccinated and there are no demonstrated ill effects, I expect enough of the folks refusing vaccines to eventually relent and get us to herd immunity.


I got some insight today. My psychiatrist declined the vaccine because she didn't think she needed it before some others. I suspect a lot of those refusals are on similar grounds.


I hope you're right but my gut tells me we are years away from returning to anything resembling "normal".

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,628

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/28/2021 12:48:44 PM 
Years? Maybe a year, IMO.

Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/28/2021 2:18:40 PM 
SBH wrote:
Years? Maybe a year, IMO.



Again I hope you're right but we're basically a year into this already. There is a vaccine and huge numbers of healthcare workers are refusing it. I can't imagine the general public lining up in droves if those dealing with Covid patients daily are saying no thanks.

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 11,083

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/28/2021 2:41:24 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
SBH wrote:
Years? Maybe a year, IMO.



Again I hope you're right but we're basically a year into this already. There is a vaccine and huge numbers of healthcare workers are refusing it. I can't imagine the general public lining up in droves if those dealing with Covid patients daily are saying no thanks.



My family physician got her first Moderna vaccine shot two weeks ago. I know a number of other folks in health-care fields, including physicians, nurses and EMT folks, who have received vaccine shots. Also, almost everyone I know in my old-fart age cohort has either gotten the vaccine, or are on a waiting list for it. I got my first Moderna shot this morning.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,900

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/28/2021 3:54:15 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:

I got my first Moderna shot this morning.


If you have the same reaction my wife did,I think you'll find that that third arm can come in real handy. :-)
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 7,150

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/28/2021 7:39:44 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
SBH wrote:
Years? Maybe a year, IMO.



Again I hope you're right but we're basically a year into this already. There is a vaccine and huge numbers of healthcare workers are refusing it. I can't imagine the general public lining up in droves if those dealing with Covid patients daily are saying no thanks.



We are a year into this and things are worse now, because we had an administration who denied the actual event, downplayed the event at best and had NO vaccine plan.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,373

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/28/2021 8:08:30 PM 
Uh oh, BTC, now you've done it.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 11,083

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/29/2021 12:03:45 AM 
rpbobcat wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:

I got my first Moderna shot this morning.


If you have the same reaction my wife did,I think you'll find that that third arm can come in real handy. :-)


No reaction so far, and I'm not really expecting any. The side-effect profile for the Moderna vaccine is slightly better than that of the Pfizer vaccine, but serious reactions are rare for both vaccines.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,900

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/29/2021 6:53:38 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:


No reaction so far, and I'm not really expecting any. The side-effect profile for the Moderna vaccine is slightly better than that of the Pfizer vaccine, but serious reactions are rare for both vaccines.


My vet was one of the unlucky ones with the vaccine.

Within a couple of hours of the first shot, he had vertigo.
It go sot bad he couldn't get off the bathroom floor for several hours.

He stayed in the bathroom,because then came nausea,followed by vomiting and headache.

He said it took a couple of days to back to normal.

He's hoping dose #2 isn't as bad.

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,020

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: A way to get fans back in the stands?
   Posted: 1/29/2021 9:38:18 AM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
SBH wrote:
Years? Maybe a year, IMO.



Again I hope you're right but we're basically a year into this already. There is a vaccine and huge numbers of healthcare workers are refusing it. I can't imagine the general public lining up in droves if those dealing with Covid patients daily are saying no thanks.



Are you sure we're a year into this? I have a commemorative "Trump defeats Covid" coin that says otherwise.

https://www.whitehousegiftshop.com/product-p/trump-defeat...

Last Edited: 1/29/2021 9:38:35 AM by Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 75  of 158 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7    Next >
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2021 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties