Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?

Topic:  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
Author
Message
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,313

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/15/2020 6:36:54 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
It appears that the European travel ban may have had the exact opposite effect it was intended to have. Reports all over Twitter this morning of long, long waits for luggage and customs at major airports. 7 hour waits total at O'Hare, for instance.

So that means thousands of people who were just in high-risk countries waiting side by side for 7 hours at a time.

Not ideal.


Sorta like DeWine claiming 100k cases of "unknown" infected roaming the streets of Ohio - instantly causing panic in the general population, which immediately resulted in people rushing to the grocery stores and standing in Costco lines for 3+ hours - in direct contact and proximity with hundreds (plural) of their closest community friends.

Not ideal is right.



I'm stuck in a hotel in Virginia right now. It's directly across the way from a large grocery store, which I can see from my window. There are lines of cars to get in. I've been in this hotel for 5 days; this is the first day that's the case. People are are doing this all over the country. Blaming it on DeWine seems like a stretch. Part of self-isolating for an extended period is about having the food necessary to do so. Not sure this, or the airport mess was avoidable.

That being said, which organization do you think should be better prepared to handle the outbreak of a virus? US Customs and Border Patrol? Or Kroger?


Friend of mine on the Border Patrol, former Bobcat athlete says itís all a hoax.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,313

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/15/2020 6:41:08 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Let's be realistic about this: we're at a point where shut-downs are being deemed necessary specifically because we sat on our ass and did nothing for four weeks. Graf is willing to accuse everybody of acting to score political points except for Donald Trump, who is the person in all of this most guilty of fucking this situation up specifically because he feared the political ramifications of acknowledging the problem.

He gave away four weeks of response time insisting this wasn't a problem. We're here because of him.

You can try and blame everybody else all you want and insist the difficult decisions being made are responsible for the economic collapse, but our leadership got us to this point. Pretending anything but is willful ignorance. If you're unwilling to acknowledge that, you don't get to accuse others of trying to "score political points" because it proves just how blindly political you're being about this whole thing.

What alternative to this are you all suggesting, exactly? It seems like you all's stance is essentially "let's just deal with the sicknesses because economic well-being is more important." I can see that view, even if I don't agree with it.

But from everything I read on this -- and from the decisions made willingly by the private sector in the face of those facts, it seems like our healthcare system can't actually deal with such a high level of sicknesses simultaneously. There are very real scenarios -- maybe not the most likely scenarios, but statistically viable scenarios -- in which the US healthcare system ends up so taxed that the death toll ends up very high. Do we just accept that as a possibility because of the economic strain social distancing creates?

Surely the richest country on earth doesn't have to choose between letting a deadly virus sweep through the country unchecked and economic collapse.


+1, look at the Seattle area right now, hospitals over run, unable to function and thatís ground zero. But hey, itís just the flu. Total lack of understanding
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,240

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/15/2020 6:58:06 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Let's be realistic about this: we're at a point where shut-downs are being deemed necessary specifically because we sat on our ass and did nothing for four weeks. Graf is willing to accuse everybody of acting to score political points except for Donald Trump, who is the person in all of this most guilty of fucking this situation up specifically because he feared the political ramifications of acknowledging the problem.

He gave away four weeks of response time insisting this wasn't a problem. We're here because of him.

You can try and blame everybody else all you want and insist the difficult decisions being made are responsible for the economic collapse, but our leadership got us to this point. Pretending anything but is willful ignorance. If you're unwilling to acknowledge that, you don't get to accuse others of trying to "score political points" because it proves just how blindly political you're being about this whole thing.

What alternative to this are you all suggesting, exactly? It seems like you all's stance is essentially "let's just deal with the sicknesses because economic well-being is more important." I can see that view, even if I don't agree with it.

But from everything I read on this -- and from the decisions made willingly by the private sector in the face of those facts, it seems like our healthcare system can't actually deal with such a high level of sicknesses simultaneously. There are very real scenarios -- maybe not the most likely scenarios, but statistically viable scenarios -- in which the US healthcare system ends up so taxed that the death toll ends up very high. Do we just accept that as a possibility because of the economic strain social distancing creates?

Surely the richest country on earth doesn't have to choose between letting a deadly virus sweep through the country unchecked and economic collapse.

Well, we got to sit on our hands a little longer than some other countries because Trump was quick to stop flights to China. Still, all countries, rich and poor, have the same choices. Suppose Trump had ordered all events cancelled, and all bars and restaurants closed at the same time he cancelled flights from China? Do you think that would have been accepted?

Do I wish we had rolled out millions of tests 3 weeks ago? Absolutely. But, still, the virus would spread, and difficult choices would need to be made.


ďWe have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.Ē ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,536

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/15/2020 7:24:30 PM 
L.C. wrote:

Well, we got to sit on our hands a little longer than some other countries because Trump was quick to stop flights to China. Still, all countries, rich and poor, have the same choices. Suppose Trump had ordered all events cancelled, and all bars and restaurants closed at the same time he cancelled flights from China? Do you think that would have been accepted?

Do I wish we had rolled out millions of tests 3 weeks ago? Absolutely. But, still, the virus would spread, and difficult choices would need to be made.


What about the current situation we find ourselves in leads you to believe we were well-served by sitting on our hands at all?

I swear, there's going to be 500 Americans left alive in two weeks and we'll all be living in underground bunkers eating baked beans out of a can and Trump supporters will be regaling us with the President's amazing leadership because he shut down flights to China.

It was a good decision. Still, it accomplished 2% of what we needed to accomplish. Everything else he's done on this has been a monumental failure and we are well behind the rest of the world on this. He downplayed this for weeks for political purposes. We were told in February this was fully contained and we'd have zero cases soon. He and his lackeys at Fox News insisted this was a Democratic hoax and wasn't serious for a solid month. That's when we should have been acting, and that's when more moderate social distancing could have been effective.

We've now reached a point where Republican and Democratic Governors alike are shutting down small businesses, schools, and the world's largest companies are shifting operations to remote-only. We reached this point because we didn't roll out testing fast enough or at nearly the right volume, and as a result we grossly underestimated the scope of this. Had we had better insight, we could have tracked this virus better and avoided mass-hysteria. We didn't do that, so now here we are. Businesses will fail. Americans will lose their jobs and their health insurance at the worst possible time. And why? Largely because for a month the President didn't want a high number of cases to impact his re-election chances. So we refused tests from the international community, stopped a University in Seattle from conducting their own, and the President gave speeches about how this was all under control and we'd be at zero cases soon.

But yeah, I guess it's cool we shut down those flights. Seems to have saved the day.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,240

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/15/2020 7:37:55 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
What about the current situation we find ourselves in leads you to believe we were well-served by sitting on our hands at all? ...

Nothing. On the other hand, the hard decisions that needed to be made couldn't be made until there was a crisis, so, sadly, they had to wait. Even if Trump hadn't handled it badly, the toxic political situation would have prevented most things that would have been better done earlier.

Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
...
Everything else he's done on this has been a monumental failure and we are well behind the rest of the world on this. He downplayed this for weeks for political purposes. We were told in February this was fully contained and we'd have zero cases soon. He and his lackeys at Fox News insisted this was a Democratic hoax and wasn't serious for a solid month.
...

I agree that his statements were so lame and ludicrous that he seemed to be intentionally lose the election in a landslide.

Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
...
We've now reached a point where Republican and Democratic Governors alike are shutting down small businesses, schools, and the world's largest companies are shifting operations to remote-only. We reached this point because we didn't roll out testing fast enough or at nearly the right volume, and as a result we grossly underestimated the scope of this. ...


This is where I disagree. We reached this point because it was inevitable. When I started telling people about the looming catastrophe ahead back in January, people thought I was insane. Do I wish we had better testing, sooner? Absolutely. Would it have kept us from being where we are? No. Virtually every country in the world is in the same boat, many or most worse than we are.

What I'd like to see from here is a quick roll-out of the S. Korean model, where anyone who wants to be tested drives up to a pod, and a guy in a hazmat suit checks his ID and tests him or her, and there is no cost for it, and the results are available same day. That's the only thing that has worked outside of shutting down everything.


ďWe have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.Ē ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Recovering Journalist
General User

Member Since: 8/17/2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Post Count: 1,549

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/15/2020 8:26:28 PM 
L.C. wrote:

What I'd like to see from here is a quick roll-out of the S. Korean model, where anyone who wants to be tested drives up to a pod, and a guy in a hazmat suit checks his ID and tests him or her, and there is no cost for it, and the results are available same day. That's the only thing that has worked outside of shutting down everything.


It's starting here in Cleveland.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/03/cuyahoga-count...
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,693

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/15/2020 8:33:42 PM 
Lot's of misinformation about COVID-19. Here's a page on the CDC website that dispels some myths. Thought it might be of interest to those engaged in this discussion.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testin...


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,240

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/15/2020 10:55:27 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Lot's of misinformation about COVID-19. Here's a page on the CDC website that dispels some myths. Thought it might be of interest to those engaged in this discussion.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testin...

CDC has been way behind on their info. They seem more worried about stopping "stigma" than stopping the spread. According to the page you linked to, you are not to call them, even if you have all the symptoms, unless you have been in close contact with someone who has the disease, or you visited an area with "ongoing spread". So, I guess that means that if the clerk at McDonalds, or the cashier at Walmart, develops symptoms, they shouldn't bother calling because they aren't going to get tested. Apparently they need to get to the stage where they require hospitalization before they can be tested. Now, I suppose that if you consider the entire US to be areas of "ongoing spread", then they could be tested if they have symptoms.

I presume the reason the web site says this is because they didn't have the testing capacity to test very many people. Supposedly this week that will change.

Yes, the identifying traits of an established infection are a cough and a fever. Earlier, however, most people experience rhinitis, followed by an asymptiomatic stage where they are contagious that can last 4-9 days. You saw examples of that on the Diamond Princess. Some people said something along the lines of "I thought I had gotten a cold, and gotten over it quickly. When I tested positive, I couldn't believe it."

CDC does mention that it is possible that asymptiomatic spread is happening, but doesn't think it is a significant driver in the spread, and that we should focus on people with symptoms. That doesn't really match up with experiences in other countries, however. In China, they were able to control SARS, which didn't spread until you had symptoms, by quickly identifying and quarantining people with symptoms. That didn't work with COVID19, so they quarantined everyone. Here's an article on the subject in the US:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-asympto...

South Korea has been very successful in controlling it because they made the tests fast and free, and available to anyone. If someone has symptoms, they can get tested without having to prove they were in contact with someone who had it. If someone was in contact with someone who had it, they can get tested without symptoms. The result has been a tremendous number of negative tests, but also has been to catch a lot of cases very early, dramatically reducing the spread.

Last Edited: 3/16/2020 9:05:36 AM by L.C.


ďWe have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.Ē ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,240

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/15/2020 11:29:48 PM 
Recovering Journalist wrote:
L.C. wrote:

What I'd like to see from here is a quick roll-out of the S. Korean model, where anyone who wants to be tested drives up to a pod, and a guy in a hazmat suit checks his ID and tests him or her, and there is no cost for it, and the results are available same day. That's the only thing that has worked outside of shutting down everything.


It's starting here in Cleveland.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/03/cuyahoga-count...

Yes, that's a good start. For now you have to have a doctor's orders before you can get a test, though you no longer have to prove that you were exposed to someone known to have it. Thus, now, if a retail clerk comes down with symptoms, they can be tested without having to reach the hospitalization stage.

Eventually they need to ramp the testing up to cover anyone that wants a test. The result is a lot of negatives. I think S. Korea is under 0.1% positive tests, compared to the US at 20% positive tests. On the other hand, unlike the US, they are catching nearly all cases at a very early stage, and have a low death rate.

Last Edited: 3/16/2020 9:08:09 AM by L.C.


ďWe have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.Ē ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Robert Fox
General User

Member Since: 11/16/2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Post Count: 2,039

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/16/2020 9:18:23 AM 
At the early stage, testing anyone who wants to be tested will create problems: namely it will overwhelm resources. How many people hear that a runny nose and cough are early signs, and then convince themselves that they do have those symptoms? It's the exact response we have in people buying toilet paper. Everyone panics, rushes to the store, and buys far more than they need. If you tell the public tests are free to anyone/everyone, then you can bet resources will be overrun.

The economic hit to the country will outweigh the health hit. All the while, politicians will attempt to smear their opposition. Partisans will point fingers. Everyone will be second-guessed.



Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,676

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/16/2020 9:43:27 AM 
Robert Fox wrote:
At the early stage, testing anyone who wants to be tested will create problems: namely it will overwhelm resources. How many people hear that a runny nose and cough are early signs, and then convince themselves that they do have those symptoms? It's the exact response we have in people buying toilet paper. Everyone panics, rushes to the store, and buys far more than they need. If you tell the public tests are free to anyone/everyone, then you can bet resources will be overrun.

The economic hit to the country will outweigh the health hit. All the while, politicians will attempt to smear their opposition. Partisans will point fingers. Everyone will be second-guessed.


My wife is a nurse.

She had a "head cold" (congestion,cough,no fever).
Went to work on Friday,not even a suggestion she get a covid 19 test.


Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,240

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/16/2020 11:38:02 AM 
Robert Fox wrote:
At the early stage, testing anyone who wants to be tested will create problems: namely it will overwhelm resources. How many people hear that a runny nose and cough are early signs, and then convince themselves that they do have those symptoms? It's the exact response we have in people buying toilet paper. Everyone panics, rushes to the store, and buys far more than they need. If you tell the public tests are free to anyone/everyone, then you can bet resources will be overrun.

The economic hit to the country will outweigh the health hit. All the while, politicians will attempt to smear their opposition. Partisans will point fingers. Everyone will be second-guessed.

Actually, a side effect of the extreme quarantining and social distancing in some countries has been the virtual elimination of colds and the regular flu as well, so the effect is probably not as extreme as you might think. Singapore is right now in their peak flu season, for example, and has 0 cases, for the first time ever.

S. Korea ramped up testing much faster than the US, and they were doing 10,000 tests a day. as of a couple weeks ago, and they are probably doing more now. There is no excuse for the fact that S. Korea was able to administer 100,000 tests before the US could do 1,000. I understand that as the US ramps up testing capacity, they can't test everyone who wants one. Allowing them only to people who have a doctor's orders is a very reasonable compromise, certainly more reasonable than limiting it to only people with known contacts.

As for the economic hit, don't kid yourself. Any course of action will involve a massive economic hit. At this point I only know of four approaches. All have tremendous costs:
1. S. Korea - free tests to anyone, plus an app to identify areas where the risk is high
2. China - Shut down all non-essential businesses for two months, require everyone to stay home. One person per household can leave every 5 days to get supplies.
3. Italy/Spain - Ignore it until the hospitals are overwhelmed, and the death rate approaches 10%, then implement the Chinese solution.
4. Japan/Singapore/Taiwan/Hong Kong - An aggressive compromise, with a lot of testing, a lot of social distancing, and aggressive contact tracing.

At this point, there is no course of action that doesn't have costs. We have to try to pick the best course of action. The US sort of has tried to take alternative 4, but waited too long to start the social distancing, and to ramp up testing, so that choice may no longer be available. Of the others, it seems to me that #1 is the lowest cost of the three.

As for politicians, this is a time when we should have unity as a country. Any politician from either party that tries to make this a political issue should be condemned.

rpbobcat wrote:
My wife is a nurse.

She had a "head cold" (congestion,cough,no fever).
Went to work on Friday,not even a suggestion she get a covid 19 test.

That is reasonable, unless she had a known exposure. However, if she starts having chest congestion and a fever, the picture changes. That's how I'm approaching my cold.


ďWe have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.Ē ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,676

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/16/2020 12:14:28 PM 
L.C. wrote:

My wife is a nurse.

She had a "head cold" (congestion,cough,no fever).
Went to work on Friday,not even a suggestion she get a covid 19 test.


That is reasonable, unless she had a known exposure. However, if she starts having chest congestion and a fever, the picture changes. That's how I'm approaching my cold.


No known exposure.She's at the "tail end" of the cold,so she doesn't expect a fever.

She has chest congestion most of the winter.
Her bronchial tubes get inflamed in cold weather.

No infection so there's really nothing they can do about it.



Last Edited: 3/16/2020 12:14:41 PM by rpbobcat

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,676

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/16/2020 12:23:36 PM 
One of the local radio stations out here was saying this morning that,with all the
bars and restaurants,including "Men's Clubs",closing down,"Cam Girls" are doing really great business.
Back to Top
  
Robert Fox
General User

Member Since: 11/16/2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Post Count: 2,039

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/16/2020 1:19:57 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
One of the local radio stations out here was saying this morning that,with all the
bars and restaurants,including "Men's Clubs",closing down,"Cam Girls" are doing really great business.


There, see? It's not all doom and gloom.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,240

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/16/2020 1:42:39 PM 
Here is a link to an article about the Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan approach to containing COVID19:
https://time.com/5802293/coronavirus-covid19-singapore-ho...

In the US, I think that horse has already left the barn, though we can still learn from it, and maybe be better prepared in the future.


ďWe have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.Ē ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 4,509

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/16/2020 3:46:17 PM 
The false flag stories should come to an end at this point, no my uncle bubba went to work with a cold and a fever. If you are sick stay home. This virus is very infectious, the White House officially ended their this is just a flu campaign and they have experts like Dr. Fauci, please donít give your opinions unless you are an epidemiologist. Stay safe Bobcats


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
MonroeClassmate
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2010
Post Count: 1,278

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/16/2020 8:14:31 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
[QUOTE=L.C.]
Well, we got to sit on our hands a little longer than some other countries because Trump was quick to stop flights to China.

the President's leadership because he shut down flights to China.



Why is it that several of you have said shut down flights to China? Were not flights to the US from China shut down as early as any country stopped flights from China? And Americans who came from China, were they not forced to quarantine?

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 6,919

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/16/2020 8:36:54 PM 
Fox News finally recognizes the severity of the situation: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/media/on-fox-new... .

We must be in deep sh*t.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,240

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/16/2020 10:43:08 PM 
L.C. wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Lot's of misinformation about COVID-19. Here's a page on the CDC website that dispels some myths. Thought it might be of interest to those engaged in this discussion.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testin...

CDC has been way behind on their info. They seem more worried about stopping "stigma" than stopping the spread. According to the page you linked to, you are not to call them, even if you have all the symptoms, unless you have been in close contact with someone who has the disease, or you visited an area with "ongoing spread". So, I guess that means that if the clerk at McDonalds, or the cashier at Walmart, develops symptoms, they shouldn't bother calling because they aren't going to get tested. Apparently they need to get to the stage where they require hospitalization before they can be tested. Now, I suppose that if you consider the entire US to be areas of "ongoing spread", then they could be tested if they have symptoms.

I presume the reason the web site says this is because they didn't have the testing capacity to test very many people. Supposedly this week that will change.

Yes, the identifying traits of an established infection are a cough and a fever. Earlier, however, most people experience rhinitis, followed by an asymptiomatic stage where they are contagious that can last 4-9 days. You saw examples of that on the Diamond Princess. Some people said something along the lines of "I thought I had gotten a cold, and gotten over it quickly. When I tested positive, I couldn't believe it."

CDC does mention that it is possible that asymptiomatic spread is happening, but doesn't think it is a significant driver in the spread, and that we should focus on people with symptoms. That doesn't really match up with experiences in other countries, however. In China, they were able to control SARS, which didn't spread until you had symptoms, by quickly identifying and quarantining people with symptoms. That didn't work with COVID19, so they quarantined everyone. Here's an article on the subject in the US:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-asympto...

South Korea has been very successful in controlling it because they made the tests fast and free, and available to anyone. If someone has symptoms, they can get tested without having to prove they were in contact with someone who had it. If someone was in contact with someone who had it, they can get tested without symptoms. The result has been a tremendous number of negative tests, but also has been to catch a lot of cases very early, dramatically reducing the spread.

https://www.wionews.com/world/are-dormant-carriers-of-cov...
Another article showing disagreement with CDC's statement that "Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads".

allen wrote:
The false flag stories should come to an end at this point, no my uncle bubba went to work with a cold and a fever. If you are sick stay home. This virus is very infectious, the White House officially ended their this is just a flu campaign and they have experts like Dr. Fauci, please donít give your opinions unless you are an epidemiologist. Stay safe Bobcats

FWIW, I did stay home Saturday when I had my cold, but with my runny nose and cough gone, I returned to work today. However, if I develop a fever, I'll be staying home for quite awhile. I'm not an epidemiologist, so I'll limit myself to just posting links to articles.

And, here are a couple messages from doctors in Italy about their situation:
https://files.catbox.moe/3ns6c1.mp4
I can't verify the authenticity, but it matches with other things I have heard from there. The US currently has 4708 cases. Italy had 4636 on 3/6.

Last Edited: 3/16/2020 11:03:52 PM by L.C.


ďWe have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.Ē ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,515

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/17/2020 1:44:35 AM 
ISIS advising jihadits to be safe: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ny-isis-warns-terr...


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 720

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/17/2020 3:28:15 AM 
allen wrote:
please donít give your opinions unless you are an epidemiologist.


Ah, so Stalin hath spoken. I mean Castro. I mean Kim Jung-un. I mean Xi Jinping.

Yes supreme leader! We will comply!

Back to Top
  
Mark Lembright '85
General User

Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Lyndhurst, OH
Post Count: 2,367

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/17/2020 9:26:44 AM 
JSF wrote:
ISIS advising jihadits to be safe: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ny-isis-warns-terr...



Oh wow! I don't know whether to laugh or to shake my head.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 6,919

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/17/2020 12:25:07 PM 
Mark Lembright '85 wrote:
JSF wrote:
ISIS advising jihadits to be safe: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ny-isis-warns-terr...



Oh wow! I don't know whether to laugh or to shake my head.


Wash your hands and avoid yawning as you strap that dynamite to your chest.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 4,509

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Does Dewine know something that we donít. Was the MAC tournament a significant risk?
   Posted: 3/17/2020 3:52:45 PM 
GraffZ06 wrote:
allen wrote:
please donít give your opinions unless you are an epidemiologist.


Ah, so Stalin hath spoken. I mean Castro. I mean Kim Jung-un. I mean Xi Jinping.

Yes supreme leader! We will comply!



I donít think that any of those leaders ever said please in their life. They did love the uneducated too, like a certain leader thatI know. From false flag, to not a big deal, whatís next for the lackeyís?

Last Edited: 3/18/2020 8:41:36 AM by allen


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 75  of 166 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7    Next >
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties