Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020

Topic:  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
Author
Message
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,281

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/6/2019 8:24:05 AM 
longtiimelurker wrote:
JuST watched state beat Louisville. Number 1 8-0 UL. Hate to see State win but it makes the Bobcats win look better.


I thought Louisville was #2, but either way I agree with you. Interesting that OSU already played #4 Uconn and has #1 Stanford next weekend. That's pretty crazy.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 714

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/7/2019 6:13:05 PM 
Today they had a home 70-64 win over a pretty good IUPUI team. IUPUI has been the second best Horizon program over this decade behind WI-Green Bay
Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,437

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/8/2019 1:22:45 PM 
Victory wrote:
Today they had a home 70-64 win over a pretty good IUPUI team. IUPUI has been the second best Horizon program over this decade behind WI-Green Bay


The negative was Erica Johnson got hurt, was on crutches and in a boot apparently. No word yet on how long she'll be out.
Back to Top
  
Joe Foss
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 63

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/15/2019 2:49:45 PM 
Coach Boldon says on Jake Hromada's pregame interview that Erica Johnson is out for today, and probably until NIU - first game of MAC season. Today's TCU game is being streamed for free by TCU.

http://bit.ly/38IH4OG
Back to Top
  
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 714

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/15/2019 3:53:58 PM 
We are up at the half without her.
Back to Top
  
Joe Foss
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 63

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/15/2019 4:20:26 PM 
Ohio up 63-54 at end of 3, but Hooks and Burris are both on the bench with 4 fouls.
Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,437

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/15/2019 4:55:58 PM 
Foul trouble hurt in a bad fourth quarter. TCU closed on a 15-3 run and won it 79-72. Ohio also killed itself by going 8 of 20 at the foul line.

Last Edited: 12/15/2019 4:56:25 PM by UpSan Bobcat

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/15/2019 4:58:14 PM 
Lead by 9 points at the beginning of the 4th Quarter, but lost -- mainly because of horrible free throw shooting throughout the game. Really missed Erica!


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,437

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/18/2019 9:53:15 AM 
Bobcats are at Texas (5-4) tonight. Texas has had mixed results, including a loss to Hawaii, but is coming off a win against Tennessee.
Back to Top
  
Joe Foss
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 63

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/18/2019 6:29:36 PM 
Texas will be a tough game for Ohio. They run a lot of their offense through two posts who combine for 20 rebounds and 30 points a game. 6'3" senior Joyner Holmes is likely to be a first round WNBA pick, and has size, strength and agility. 6'5" sophomore Charli Collier starts alongside her. Ohio is used to being outsized in the post, but may not be able to deal with two such mismatches at once. The Longhorns also have several good guards, the best of which is PG Sug Sutton. They don't rely on the three ball very much, and only average 5 makes a game.

They were a preseason #15 in both the coaches and AP poll, but have underperformed and have fallen out of the top 25. Hawaii beat them with a combination of lots of threes and points off turnovers, which is a formula that suits Ohio well.

It starts at 8:00 PM ET, and is on the Longhorn Network. SlingTV recently added the network to their SportsExtra package, so it is a little easier to stream Texas games than it has been in the past.



Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,437

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/18/2019 9:51:02 PM 
More foul trouble and too many offensive rebounds for Texas led to a 73-60 Longhorns victory.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/18/2019 10:42:25 PM 
Worst officiated game I've seen in a long time. Texas Holmes (#24) committed a Flagrant 2 in the 1st Qt. right in front of the officials. Our gal is thrown to the floor intentionally as #24 grabs both of her shoulders and forcefully throws her the floor and out of bounds. The OHIO player gets back up and blocks out #24 for the rebound and OHIO is called for the foul. The Texas broadcast replayed this once, made no comment on it, and moved on. There were other questionable calls all night, but that was the worst one.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,281

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/19/2019 9:11:21 AM 
Unfortunately any hopes of an at-large are probably toast now. Even if we were to run the table all the way to the MAC finals we would be 26-5 and probably left out.

But that is OK because we are going to win the MAC this year.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
Joe Foss
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 63

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/19/2019 9:42:06 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Worst officiated game I've seen in a long time. Texas Holmes (#24) committed a Flagrant 2 in the 1st Qt. right in front of the officials. Our gal is thrown to the floor intentionally as #24 grabs both of her shoulders and forcefully throws her the floor and out of bounds. The OHIO player gets back up and blocks out #24 for the rebound and OHIO is called for the foul. The Texas broadcast replayed this once, made no comment on it, and moved on. There were other questionable calls all night, but that was the worst one.


Two of the officials last night are about the best there are. Tina Napier and Roy Gulbeyan are Women's Final Four and WNBA playoff level refs, with tons of experience. Napier worked Ohio's game at Ohio State this year. Their experience probably saved Katie Barker and Deesh Beck from being T'd up when they demonstrably complained about calls. Barker was upset at a no-call when she had perfect box-out position on a Texas player who went up and over her to grab a rebound. But you're not going to get an "over-the-back" call at the upper levels of this sport, even if there is contact. If you get out-jumped for a rebound, so be it.

Beck was upset when she got called for a hand-check on a perimeter ball handler. That's been a point of emphasis for several years, but Beck continues to get called for that foul. She's got a lot to offer this team, but she has to show more restraint than fouling out in 16 minutes of play, as she did last night.

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/19/2019 10:05:39 AM 
Foss, that being said, how do you explain missing the worst flagrant foul Iíve seen in either menís or womenís basketball in years?


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,055

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/19/2019 10:35:51 AM 
Joe Foss wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Worst officiated game I've seen in a long time. Texas Holmes (#24) committed a Flagrant 2 in the 1st Qt. right in front of the officials. Our gal is thrown to the floor intentionally as #24 grabs both of her shoulders and forcefully throws her the floor and out of bounds. The OHIO player gets back up and blocks out #24 for the rebound and OHIO is called for the foul. The Texas broadcast replayed this once, made no comment on it, and moved on. There were other questionable calls all night, but that was the worst one.


But you're not going to get an "over-the-back" call at the upper levels of this sport, even if there is contact. If you get out-jumped for a rebound, so be it.





You should never get called for "over-the-back" at any level, because "over-the-back" foul simply does not exist.
Back to Top
  
Joe Foss
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 63

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/19/2019 11:06:38 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Foss, that being said, how do you explain missing the worst flagrant foul Iíve seen in either menís or womenís basketball in years?


I didn't recall that play, but I'm going to try to rewatch that quarter. This being the Longhorn Network, they'll probably have a dozen replays of the game today and tomorrow.

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/19/2019 11:24:09 AM 
Joe Foss wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Foss, that being said, how do you explain missing the worst flagrant foul Iíve seen in either menís or womenís basketball in years?


I didn't recall that play, but I'm going to try to rewatch that quarter. This being the Longhorn Network, they'll probably have a dozen replays of the game today and tomorrow.



When you watch it, you don't see the foul very well in real time; however, they had a replay from a different camera angle that showed if very clearly. I hope that they don't edit that replay out of the rebroadcast. As I said, it was clearly very deliberate. Holmes literally throws the OHIO player to the floor by grabbing her shoulders and tossing her. I thought it strange the complete lack of any commentary on the replay. The announcers just acted like it had never happened, and that the foul by the OHIO player was the only thing that happened during that play. Nothing to see here folks, just move along . . .


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,437

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/19/2019 1:20:32 PM 
There may have been some missed calls, but foul trouble has been an issue for Ohio all year (and last year). That's something that needs to be fixed. Rebounding probably always will be an issue against programs like Texas because Ohio simply doesn't have that kind of size.
Back to Top
  
Joe Foss
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 63

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/19/2019 7:53:30 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
When you watch it, you don't see the foul very well in real time; however, they had a replay from a different camera angle that showed if very clearly. I hope that they don't edit that replay out of the rebroadcast. As I said, it was clearly very deliberate. Holmes literally throws the OHIO player to the floor by grabbing her shoulders and tossing her. I thought it strange the complete lack of any commentary on the replay. The announcers just acted like it had never happened, and that the foul by the OHIO player was the only thing that happened during that play. Nothing to see here folks, just move along . . .


You're right, they missed that one big time. Just before the 5:00 minute mark of the first quarter, Holmes shoves Deesh Beck to the ground right in front of Tina Napier, with no call. Beck quickly picks herself up and runs into Holmes, knocking her over. Napier whistles Beck for that foul at 4:59. Play is stopped and the refs go to the monitor. Common foul on Beck is the ruling, no flagrant. As soon as play resumes, Beck bumps Holmes hard again and is whistled at 4:55. Players mill around briefly as if things might escalate, but settle down quickly. Holmes gets away with a flagrant. Beck tallies two hard fouls in four seconds.



Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/20/2019 12:21:40 AM 
Joe Foss wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
When you watch it, you don't see the foul very well in real time; however, they had a replay from a different camera angle that showed if very clearly. I hope that they don't edit that replay out of the rebroadcast. As I said, it was clearly very deliberate. Holmes literally throws the OHIO player to the floor by grabbing her shoulders and tossing her. I thought it strange the complete lack of any commentary on the replay. The announcers just acted like it had never happened, and that the foul by the OHIO player was the only thing that happened during that play. Nothing to see here folks, just move along . . .


You're right, they missed that one big time. Just before the 5:00 minute mark of the first quarter, Holmes shoves Deesh Beck to the ground right in front of Tina Napier, with no call. Beck quickly picks herself up and runs into Holmes, knocking her over. Napier whistles Beck for that foul at 4:59. Play is stopped and the refs go to the monitor. Common foul on Beck is the ruling, no flagrant. As soon as play resumes, Beck bumps Holmes hard again and is whistled at 4:55. Players mill around briefly as if things might escalate, but settle down quickly. Holmes gets away with a flagrant. Beck tallies two hard fouls in four seconds.


Glad to have the confirmation. That one should be sent to the B12/10 director of officials. I thought it one of the most flagrant fouls that I've seen in either men's or women's basketball. I hope Boldon does not acquiesce in this nonsense and let it go unpunished. Holmes should be suspended for multiple games.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 412

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/27/2019 8:19:59 PM 
Does anyone know why the women play only 11 preseason league games and the men will play 13? Also the men play 31 total regular season games and the women two less games? Just asking is it for any particular reason or does the NCAA permit more games for men?

Last Edited: 12/27/2019 8:21:06 PM by Bobcat1996

Back to Top
  
Joe Foss
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 63

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/29/2019 7:33:40 PM 
Ohio (7-4) defeated Chattanooga (1-13), 70-58 in the final OOC game today. UTC had 22 turnovers that Ohio turned into 25 points, and the Bobcats hit 10 threes. But it was a good thing that Erica Johnson returned from injury today. After building a big halftime lead, Ohio sleptwalk to just 8 points in the third quarter, and it was a 3 point game heading into the fourth. That's when Johnson took over, scoring from both outside and inside and dominating both ends of the court. The lead ballooned so quickly that Bob Boldon felt comfortable removing all the starters with just over 3 minutes to go. That didn't last long, as the bench players proceeded to show why they're on the bench, and the starters had to come back in with a minute left to close it out. Ohio's chances in the MAC season are going to depend in large part on the health of those starters.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 12/29/2019 9:10:48 PM 
Joe Foss wrote:
Ohio (7-4) defeated Chattanooga (1-13), 70-58 in the final OOC game today. UTC had 22 turnovers that Ohio turned into 25 points, and the Bobcats hit 10 threes. But it was a good thing that Erica Johnson returned from injury today. After building a big halftime lead, Ohio sleptwalk to just 8 points in the third quarter, and it was a 3 point game heading into the fourth. That's when Johnson took over, scoring from both outside and inside and dominating both ends of the court. The lead ballooned so quickly that Bob Boldon felt comfortable removing all the starters with just over 3 minutes to go. That didn't last long, as the bench players proceeded to show why they're on the bench, and the starters had to come back in with a minute left to close it out. Ohio's chances in the MAC season are going to depend in large part on the health of those starters.


Last year I told some friends that Erica was going to be selected to an All-America team by her senior year. I'm sticking with my prediction! She is one tremendous player. Very happy that she is back!

Thanks very much for the summary!


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Joe Foss
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 63

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Women's basketball super thread 2019/2020
   Posted: 1/1/2020 1:00:02 PM 
Massey ratings for the MAC with all non-conference games completed, with win-loss against D-1 teams and strength of schedule.

61 CMU, 7-4, SoS 39
73 UB, 9-2, SoS 170
78 Ohio, 7-4, SoS 75
93 BSU, 7-4, SoS 120
125 KSU, 6-4, SoS 169
147 UT, 5-6, SoS 127
149 Akron, 7-4, SoS 210
150 BGSU, 5-5, SoS 209
153 Miami, 6-5, SoS 197
182 NIU, 4-7, SoS 83
192 WMU, 6-4, SoS 302
225 EMU, 4-6, SoS 266

Compared to last season, the top teams in the league don't look as strong, although the bottom teams have probably improved. It's hard to imagine that there will be more than one bid, unlike the last two seasons.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  101 - 125  of 240 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties