Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)

Topic:  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
Author
Message
finnOhio
General User

Member Since: 2/4/2005
Location: Rockton, IL
Post Count: 688

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/1/2019 8:53:20 AM 
Last year, Miami really put the clamps on Rourke. He couldn't run the ball (13 carries for 16 yards) and was pretty inefficient passing. Hopefully, we have a gameplan to make sure this doesn't occur again this year.

Also, is this the first big attendance push by the new AD? Sounds like there is a serious effort to pack the house. I'm hoping to see a massive turnout on TV.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,296

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/1/2019 10:29:24 AM 
finnOhio wrote:
Last year, Miami really put the clamps on Rourke. He couldn't run the ball (13 carries for 16 yards) and was pretty inefficient passing. Hopefully, we have a gameplan to make sure this doesn't occur again this year.

Also, is this the first big attendance push by the new AD? Sounds like there is a serious effort to pack the house. I'm hoping to see a massive turnout on TV.


I hope you are right about the turnout. The weatherman, however, appears to not be cooperating with the plan!


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,354

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/1/2019 10:43:49 AM 
OhioBobcat wrote:
colobobcat66 wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
Channel 10 says it'll be partly cloudy with a high of 50 and a low of 37. Of course that'll likely change 10 or 20 times between now and then.


My weather app is saying rain and 54 next Wednesday /yuck


It worked well for Ohio at Ball State.


If we can get M to duplicate Ballís game plan, that may work for us again.
Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 3,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/1/2019 12:49:04 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
finnOhio wrote:
Last year, Miami really put the clamps on Rourke. He couldn't run the ball (13 carries for 16 yards) and was pretty inefficient passing. Hopefully, we have a gameplan to make sure this doesn't occur again this year.

Also, is this the first big attendance push by the new AD? Sounds like there is a serious effort to pack the house. I'm hoping to see a massive turnout on TV.


I hope you are right about the turnout. The weatherman, however, appears to not be cooperating with the plan!


I'm seeing cool but dry. Going to be good for November

Back to Top
  
Bobcatzblitz
General User

Member Since: 7/21/2010
Post Count: 1,594

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/1/2019 2:14:25 PM 
Typical Fiami Faux Elitist BS on their message board.
Trashing their last decent player WR James Gardner because he chose to try for the NFL Draft instead of staying another year with the Trash Heap inside of a Dumpster Fire that is Miami Football.

http://test.miamihawktalk.com/talk/discussion/4747/james-...
Back to Top
  
finnOhio
General User

Member Since: 2/4/2005
Location: Rockton, IL
Post Count: 688

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/1/2019 3:01:44 PM 
Pretty cool facts about Miami vs. OHIO game:

https://www.ohio.edu/news/2019/10/bobcats-nationally-tele...

--Only game on the 150th anniversary of college football. We should be wearing throwback jerseys for sure.

--Frank looking to become winningest MAC coach in history. Sure, it'd be great if he had the conference championship to match, but this is pretty awesome.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,296

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/1/2019 3:40:58 PM 
finnOhio wrote:
Pretty cool facts about Miami vs. OHIO game:

https://www.ohio.edu/news/2019/10/bobcats-nationally-tele...

--Only game on the 150th anniversary of college football. We should be wearing throwback jerseys for sure.

--Frank looking to become winningest MAC coach in history. Sure, it'd be great if he had the conference championship to match, but this is pretty awesome.


Real cool idea: Wear blue and white. Those were the original OHIO colors that were used for years, until an early FB coach, who may have been either a new faculty member or a graduate student, could not find blue and white uniforms, so he ordered them from the supplier of his undergrad Alma Mater -- Dartmouth. And, the uniforms were Dartmouth green, of course. The very first OHIO football teams probably had blue and white uniforms. This story about the uniform color change with the ordering of the Dartmouth uniforms is repeated in several early stories about the program. I at one time interviewed Mrs. Charles G. O'Bleness, the widow of the manager of the first OHIO football team in early 1890s, and she supplied me with much information, some of which is probably legend, but probably as close as we'll get to the actual facts. That the school colors were blue and white is documented in many, many places, and is not a matter of dispute.

Last Edited: 11/1/2019 3:41:52 PM by OhioCatFan


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
finnOhio
General User

Member Since: 2/4/2005
Location: Rockton, IL
Post Count: 688

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/1/2019 4:26:03 PM 
https://www.ohio.edu/student-affairs/students/history-tra...

Very cool idea! Would Miami be willing to be the Redskins for a game?
Back to Top
  
cbus cat fan
General User

Member Since: 12/2/2011
Post Count: 853

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/2/2019 3:04:40 PM 
Weather wise I will say this, as much as have I groused about these Wednesday games, Thursday is looking to be a mess. A weather system is coming in that will initially bring rain then snow in late Thursday and Friday. Wednesday is shaping up to be the warmest day of the week, highs in the 50s, even flirting with 50 around game time. I will keep my eyes on the maps and computer models, but at this point Wednesday is shaping up to be best weather day of the week.
Back to Top
  
Diamond Cat
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 646

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/3/2019 9:17:49 AM 
This game has the makings of a memorable event. I sure hope there is a vibe on campus for this one. All things considered, this should be a game the students can say they attended - Fiami, 150th, Solich Record, MAC Race, only game on stage. Weather looks awesome for a November Night.

Did I mention Fiami?
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,445

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/3/2019 3:16:22 PM 
finnOhio wrote:
https://www.ohio.edu/student-affairs/students/history-tra...

Very cool idea! Would Miami be willing to be the Redskins for a game?


I think,based on the percentage of many Miami fans who didn't want to change in the first place,they'd be willing to be the Redskins permanently.

Until I read The Pioneers I never knew just how fierce fighters the Miami Indians were.

Knowing that, it seems naming a team after that kind of fighter would be a compliment.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,973

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/3/2019 4:04:14 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
finnOhio wrote:
https://www.ohio.edu/student-affairs/students/history-tra...

Very cool idea! Would Miami be willing to be the Redskins for a game?


I think,based on the percentage of many Miami fans who didn't want to change in the first place,they'd be willing to be the Redskins permanently.

Until I read The Pioneers I never knew just how fierce fighters the Miami Indians were.

Knowing that, it seems naming a team after that kind of fighter would be a compliment.

Sure, it would be a compliment to the team, but, would naming a team from Oxford after them be a compliment to the Miami Indians?

As for the game, I think Ohio's offense will continue to improve, and Ohio's defense will come out and play it's best game of the year. I'm going to call this one Ohio 35, Miami 17.

Last Edited: 11/3/2019 5:59:03 PM by L.C.


ďWe have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.Ē ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Sam bobcat
General User

Member Since: 7/14/2015
Post Count: 626

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/3/2019 5:58:59 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
finnOhio wrote:
https://www.ohio.edu/student-affairs/students/history-tra...

Very cool idea! Would Miami be willing to be the Redskins for a game?


I think,based on the percentage of many Miami fans who didn't want to change in the first place,they'd be willing to be the Redskins permanently.

Until I read The Pioneers I never knew just how fierce fighters the Miami Indians were.

Knowing that, it seems naming a team after that kind of fighter would be a compliment.


Sigh...wow. We white men killed them and took their lands. You think they would be honored if we used their ancestors bravery in that struggle to promote our sports teams? I tip my hat to you and say good day.

Ohio 31
Oxford 24

Last Edited: 11/3/2019 6:00:58 PM by Sam bobcat

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,296

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/3/2019 6:11:12 PM 
Sam bobcat wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
finnOhio wrote:
https://www.ohio.edu/student-affairs/students/history-tra...

Very cool idea! Would Miami be willing to be the Redskins for a game?


I think,based on the percentage of many Miami fans who didn't want to change in the first place,they'd be willing to be the Redskins permanently.

Until I read The Pioneers I never knew just how fierce fighters the Miami Indians were.

Knowing that, it seems naming a team after that kind of fighter would be a compliment.


Sigh...wow. We white men killed them and took their lands. You think they would be honored if we used their ancestors bravery in that struggle to promote our sports teams? I tip my hat to you and say good day.

Ohio 31
Oxford 24


Well, the Huron Indians weren't happy when EMU became the Eagles and dropped Hurons. One of their tribal leaders said very few people know about the Huron Indians any more and that the school having that name helped with their visibility. So, this is a complicated issue and not subjected to analysis by knee-jerk reaction. (Not saying that applies to you, just a general statement)


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Sam bobcat
General User

Member Since: 7/14/2015
Post Count: 626

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/3/2019 10:03:58 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Sam bobcat wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
finnOhio wrote:
https://www.ohio.edu/student-affairs/students/history-tra...

Very cool idea! Would Miami be willing to be the Redskins for a game?


I think,based on the percentage of many Miami fans who didn't want to change in the first place,they'd be willing to be the Redskins permanently.

Until I read The Pioneers I never knew just how fierce fighters the Miami Indians were.

Knowing that, it seems naming a team after that kind of fighter would be a compliment.


Sigh...wow. We white men killed them and took their lands. You think they would be honored if we used their ancestors bravery in that struggle to promote our sports teams? I tip my hat to you and say good day.

Ohio 31
Oxford 24


Well, the Huron Indians weren't happy when EMU became the Eagles and dropped Hurons. One of their tribal leaders said very few people know about the Huron Indians any more and that the school having that name helped with their visibility. So, this is a complicated issue and not subjected to analysis by knee-jerk reaction. (Not saying that applies to you, just a general statement)

Iím sure you can find a poor white person who thinks the president cares about him. Doesnít really mean much in the grand scheme of things.
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,445

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 6:27:04 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:

Well, the Huron Indians weren't happy when EMU became the Eagles and dropped Hurons. One of their tribal leaders said very few people know about the Huron Indians any more and that the school having that name helped with their visibility. So, this is a complicated issue and not subjected to analysis by knee-jerk reaction. (Not saying that applies to you, just a general statement)


Same with the Seminoles.

They made it very clear to everyone ,including the NCAA ,that they were proud that Florida State teams were named after their tribe and had no interest in having the team's name changed.



Back to Top
  
Valley Cat
General User



Member Since: 12/28/2004
Location: Jackson Twp., OH
Post Count: 848

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 6:28:36 AM 
Has this game been designated a Black Out?
Back to Top
  
Robert Fox
General User

Member Since: 11/16/2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Post Count: 1,904

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 8:48:59 AM 
Valley Cat wrote:
Has this game been designated a Black Out?


That's a little insensitive.
Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 6,179

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 8:52:15 AM 

 


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
bobcatgrad
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Post Count: 219

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 9:12:37 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Sam bobcat wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
finnOhio wrote:
https://www.ohio.edu/student-affairs/students/history-tra...

Very cool idea! Would Miami be willing to be the Redskins for a game?


I think,based on the percentage of many Miami fans who didn't want to change in the first place,they'd be willing to be the Redskins permanently.

Until I read The Pioneers I never knew just how fierce fighters the Miami Indians were.

Knowing that, it seems naming a team after that kind of fighter would be a compliment.


Sigh...wow. We white men killed them and took their lands. You think they would be honored if we used their ancestors bravery in that struggle to promote our sports teams? I tip my hat to you and say good day.

Ohio 31
Oxford 24


Well, the Huron Indians weren't happy when EMU became the Eagles and dropped Hurons. One of their tribal leaders said very few people know about the Huron Indians any more and that the school having that name helped with their visibility. So, this is a complicated issue and not subjected to analysis by knee-jerk reaction. (Not saying that applies to you, just a general statement)


Central Michigan didn't make any changes to their team name. Would have been cool if Eastern didn't cave in to the PC police too. It all comes down to what the tribes think of it.

Last Edited: 11/4/2019 9:13:12 AM by bobcatgrad

Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 3,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 9:12:57 AM 
rpbobcat wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:

Well, the Huron Indians weren't happy when EMU became the Eagles and dropped Hurons. One of their tribal leaders said very few people know about the Huron Indians any more and that the school having that name helped with their visibility. So, this is a complicated issue and not subjected to analysis by knee-jerk reaction. (Not saying that applies to you, just a general statement)


Same with the Seminoles.

They made it very clear to everyone ,including the NCAA ,that they were proud that Florida State teams were named after their tribe and had no interest in having the team's name changed.





If you can't tell the difference between using a name and using an exaggerated skin color then I don't know what to tell you.
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,445

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 9:32:49 AM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:


If you can't tell the difference between using a name and using an exaggerated skin color then I don't know what to tell you.


So,if Miami called their teams "The Miami Natives" would that be O.K. ?

Maybe,when they were considering the name change,Miami should have found out what
the descendents of the Miami's, who are now the "Miami Tribe of Oklahoma" thought about the team name.



Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,148

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 9:49:09 AM 
rpbobcat wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:


If you can't tell the difference between using a name and using an exaggerated skin color then I don't know what to tell you.


So,if Miami called their teams "The Miami Natives" would that be O.K. ?

Maybe,when they were considering the name change,Miami should have found out what
the descendents of the Miami's, who are now the "Miami Tribe of Oklahoma" thought about the team name.





According to Miami's wiki, that tribe withdrew its support of the "Redskins" name in 1997.

Syntactically, Miami's name differs from Eastern Michigan and Florida State in that they named the university after the tribe, not the mascot. If they were the Southern Ohio Miami(s), would there have ever been a change?

Last Edited: 11/4/2019 9:49:31 AM by shabamon

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 10,296

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 9:50:24 AM 
rpbobcat wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:


If you can't tell the difference between using a name and using an exaggerated skin color then I don't know what to tell you.


So,if Miami called their teams "The Miami Natives" would that be O.K. ?

Maybe,when they were considering the name change,Miami should have found out what
the descendents of the Miami's, who are now the "Miami Tribe of Oklahoma" thought about the team name.





As I understand it and remember it, Miami had the longstanding support of the Miami Tribe. They even had a representative of the tribe who would do a genuine war dance in native garb at some of their games. I remember seeing this on more that one occasion. However, at one point the tribe withdrew their support, and that's when they made the name change. So on that level, Miami's decision seems reasonable to me.

As a side note, it's interesting the term "redskin" is actually an English translation of an Indian word (forget which tribal language). This traces way back to some of the first meetings of the aboriginal peoples and the Europeans. The tribe in question called the Europeans a word translated into English as "paleface" and then they coined the expression translated as "redskin" to refer to themselves. Let me say that I haven't researched this etymology myself, but was told this by an expert in the field. If true, it's quite interesting and puts, perhaps, a slightly different context for these discussions.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,247

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 9 Thread: Miami (OH)
   Posted: 11/4/2019 9:57:31 AM 
Change their mascot to a red skin potato and the problem is solved.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 50  of 185 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties