Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football Recruiting
Topic:  Preferred walkons

Topic:  Preferred walkons
Author
Message
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,639

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Preferred walkons
   Posted: 1/29/2019 5:12:07 PM 
I know that some have questioned the value of the walkon program, but it's really starting to pay dividends now. Over the last decade, the walkon program has made great strides. Some teams award very few scholarships to walkons, and when they do, they make a big deal out of it. Ohio does the reverse. They give a lot of scholarships to walkons, and do so without much noise.

Where we are is that, because Ohio treats the walkons fairly, and because they award scholarships to a lot of players, the quality of who they can get as a walkon keeps getting higher. Looking at this year's PWOs, there is very, very little difference between the PWOs and the scholarship recruits. I have to say that AJ Ouellette was a perfect example of the success you can get from walkons, and he shows potential walkons that they can come to Ohio and succeed.

As I've said in another post, there are a lot of players on the two-deep who may have been awarded scholarships include Melvin Brooks, Jarren Hampton, Nick Sink, DL Knock, Bryan Long, Jr, Austin Clack, Brody Rodgers, and Devin King, plus technically, Farakas and Zervos both started as walkons, and we also know that Markel Davis and Ja'Vahri Portis just earned scholarships. The fact that preferred walkons really do have a chance to earn a scholarship is clear. I recall hearing that over 50 walkons have now earned scholarships at Ohio under Solich.


We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Doc Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,471

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 1/29/2019 10:22:16 PM 
It seems we have 6 PWOs this year. Three on offense and 3 on defense.

That seems like a larger than normal PWO yearly number. I think in the past its been 2 or 3.

No matter the number I agree with L.C. that this is an impressive group...maybe OUr best. I could see 4 or 5 of these guys getting schollies....maybe all 6.


http://www.docpowell.net

Back to Top
  
Bobcatzblitz
General User

Member Since: 7/21/2010
Post Count: 1,513

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 1/30/2019 4:21:13 AM 
L.C. wrote:
I know that some have questioned the value of the walkon program, but it's really starting to pay dividends now. Over the last decade, the walkon program has made great strides. Some teams award very few scholarships to walkons, and when they do, they make a big deal out of it. Ohio does the reverse. They give a lot of scholarships to walkons, and do so without much noise.

Where we are is that, because Ohio treats the walkons fairly, and because they award scholarships to a lot of players, the quality of who they can get as a walkon keeps getting higher. Looking at this year's PWOs, there is very, very little difference between the PWOs and the scholarship recruits. I have to say that AJ Ouellette was a perfect example of the success you can get from walkons, and he shows potential walkons that they can come to Ohio and succeed.

As I've said in another post, there are a lot of players on the two-deep who may have been awarded scholarships include Melvin Brooks, Jarren Hampton, Nick Sink, DL Knock, Bryan Long, Jr, Austin Clack, Brody Rodgers, and Devin King, plus technically, Farakas and Zervos both started as walkons, and we also know that Markel Davis and Ja'Vahri Portis just earned scholarships. The fact that preferred walkons really do have a chance to earn a scholarship is clear. I recall hearing that over 50 walkons have now earned scholarships at Ohio under Solich.

When did Ja'Vahri Portis earn a scholarship?
Back to Top
  
Bcat2
General User

Member Since: 7/6/2010
Post Count: 4,241

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 1/30/2019 6:21:19 AM 
Bobcatzblitz wrote:
L.C. wrote:
I know that some have questioned the value of the walkon program, but it's really starting to pay dividends now. Over the last decade, the walkon program has made great strides. Some teams award very few scholarships to walkons, and when they do, they make a big deal out of it. Ohio does the reverse. They give a lot of scholarships to walkons, and do so without much noise.

Where we are is that, because Ohio treats the walkons fairly, and because they award scholarships to a lot of players, the quality of who they can get as a walkon keeps getting higher. Looking at this year's PWOs, there is very, very little difference between the PWOs and the scholarship recruits. I have to say that AJ Ouellette was a perfect example of the success you can get from walkons, and he shows potential walkons that they can come to Ohio and succeed.

As I've said in another post, there are a lot of players on the two-deep who may have been awarded scholarships include Melvin Brooks, Jarren Hampton, Nick Sink, DL Knock, Bryan Long, Jr, Austin Clack, Brody Rodgers, and Devin King, plus technically, Farakas and Zervos both started as walkons, and we also know that Markel Davis and Ja'Vahri Portis just earned scholarships. The fact that preferred walkons really do have a chance to earn a scholarship is clear. I recall hearing that over 50 walkons have now earned scholarships at Ohio under Solich.

When did Ja'Vahri Portis earn a scholarship?


See below.

http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/topic.asp?FromPa...


"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." JFK

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,639

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 1/30/2019 9:18:07 AM 
While I didn't look for the tweet, Mike said he tweeted that he got a scholarship for the Spring semester. That doesn't necessarily mean he has one for the rest of his time at Ohio.


We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Rufusbobcat94
General User

Member Since: 6/13/2018
Post Count: 106

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 2/4/2019 7:38:52 PM 
Couldn't agree Mo(o)re! I'm not sure who all were walkons and who werent but there are ones I know who were walkons who made big contributions to the team. Here are a few others in addition to AJO

Keith Moore:

One of the great games he had was the 2012 Independence bowl. If you go to the 28:10 mark of the following video, the stop he makes on 3rd and 4 is just unreal. Talk about stopping someone in his tracks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvBArcfrQ50

Bradd Ellis:

He had several game-changing moments in 2017 like the pick-6s vs BG and EM, but this is one of my favorite moments of Ohio's 2017 campaign if not any Ohio campaign. It is against UMass. It can be seen in the video below at the 1:18:10 mark. Ellis, at the bottom of the screen, realizes that something isnt right about the defensive alignment at the top of the screen. Ellis communicates this with Chad Moore, who tries but cannot communicate the issue with the other linebackers. So Moore sprints to the top of the screen and intercepts the ball. Two great players making a play with communication. If i were coaching, this video would see regular use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjbc59K-icw

Last Edited: 2/4/2019 7:41:08 PM by Rufusbobcat94

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,639

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 2/7/2019 5:10:53 PM 
I'm going to exclude kickers, punters, and long snappers, since most of them came in as walkons and won the job, but other than them, some walkons that worked hard and became starters (I'm sure I will miss some, so feel free to add to this list):
2005 (.5) Nate Clemons FB
2006 (1) Dave Shelby RT
2007 (0)
2008 (3) Neil Jereb SS, Chad Clemons WLB, AJ Oxley NG
2009 (1.5) Dak Notestine DE, plus the 2d TE (Nate Caldwell, Jahan Olyaie, Adam Olsheski)
2010 (1.5) Dak Notestine DE 2009-10, plus the 2d TE (Nate Caldwell, Jahan Olyaie)
2011 (0)
2012 (2) Corey Hastings NG, Keith Moore LB
2013 (2.2) Keith Moore LB, Kendrick Smith DE, Nic Barber DE (a few games), Neico Teiple SLB (a few games)
2014 (4.5) Kendrick Smith DE, Devin Jones FS, JD Sprague QB, AJ Ouellette RB, Chad Moore LB, Devin Saunders TE (one game)
2015 (3.5) Devin Jones FS, JD Sprague QB, AJ Ouellette RB, Chad Moore LB, Travis Daugherty LB (some games)
2016 (3.1) AJ Ouellette RB, Chad Moore LB, Bradd Ellis CB, Bo Hardy RB (one game)
2017 (3.2) AJ Ouellette RB, Chad Moore LB, Bradd Ellis CB, Tyler Gullett S (some games)
2018 (3) AJ Ouellette, Tyler Gullet SLB 2018, Andrew Payne NG, Chukwudi Chuckwu DE (one game)
2019??? (2.5?) Maybe Jarren Hampton SS, Nick Sink LG, possibly a WR


Others that played a lot, but weren't really starters:
Eric Benjamin SLB
Ryan Clark CB/WR
Kawmae Sawyer WR
Ian Dixon WR
Blake Scipio DB (career ended early due to injury)
Seth Everhart LG (career ended early due to injury)
Mike Terpin CB
Grant Cunningham S
Cody Grillot TE/MLB
Travis Daugherty LB
Jerrid Marhefka WR
Austin Clack LB
David Burroughs RB
DL Knock WR
Markel Davis WR
Jake Neatherton RB
Bryan Long, JR WR
Cameron Gunnels CB

The walkon program is clearly getting stronger. During the first seven years there was an average of about 1 starter a year who was a former walkon. Now it is more like 3 a year.

Last Edited: 2/11/2019 12:31:44 PM by L.C.


We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
OUs LONG Driver
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Post Count: 529

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 2/7/2019 6:37:45 PM 
Are you sure Marlin Brooks was a walk on? He was a 3 star guy with multiple offers and signed on NSD with the rest of the class I think.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,639

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 2/7/2019 6:47:05 PM 
OUs LONG Driver wrote:
Are you sure Marlin Brooks was a walk on? He was a 3 star guy with multiple offers and signed on NSD with the rest of the class I think.

No, I'm not sure of anything. Sometimes it is very murky who is a scholarship recruit, and who is a grayshirt, and who is a preferred walkon. Here is his recruiting thread, and there is no mention of anything other than being a scholarship recruit:
http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/topic.asp?FromPa...

Here is his officially signing day highlight film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie9yw5NmnwM

Yet, here is Ted's data:
http://www.bobcatattack.com/football/recruiting.asp

If anyone on here knows who is on scholarship, I figure Ted does, and since he doesn't list Brooks, I figure he must have been a grayshirt or walkon.


We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Sam bobcat
General User

Member Since: 7/14/2015
Post Count: 579

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 2/9/2019 2:01:12 PM 
Brooks is a scholarship player.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,639

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 2/9/2019 4:48:09 PM 
Sam bobcat wrote:
Brooks is a scholarship player.

The real question is if he started out with one when he arrived, or if he earned it?


We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Bobcatzblitz
General User

Member Since: 7/21/2010
Post Count: 1,513

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 2/10/2019 2:22:50 AM 
Did you see him play last year before he got hurt? He was really good against Howard and a few others. Should be a starter this year him and Hudson.
Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 4,187

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 2/10/2019 9:00:58 AM 
Bobcatzblitz wrote:
Did you see him play last year before he got hurt? He was really good against Howard and a few others. Should be a starter this year him and Hudson.


Hudson got turned around a lot and had numerous penalties. Brooks looked pretty good at times, but also had his moments. I cant wait to see what drake and burchette can do, I think one of the motley twins was a solid tackler and was decent at times in coverage. I hope that drake and burchette push them hard, Hudson May have to move back to safety.


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
Sam bobcat
General User

Member Since: 7/14/2015
Post Count: 579

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 2/11/2019 9:06:57 AM 
L.C. wrote:
Sam bobcat wrote:
Brooks is a scholarship player.

The real question is if he started out with one when he arrived, or if he earned it?



He was scholarship from the start.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,639

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 2/11/2019 12:38:56 PM 
Sam bobcat wrote:
He was scholarship from the start.

OK, thanks. I fixed it, and removed him from the list.

That doesn't change the general trend, though, to better and better walkons, and more of them earning starting positions. Yes, on the weaker teams of 2014-15, there were even more walkons as starters, who kept the team from being even weaker, but now, even on strong teams, there are excellent players who were overlooked coming out of high school, and who worked hard, and earned a scholarship.

Some view the fact that walkons become starters as a sign that they recruited poorly, and had a hole. I view it as a sign that out of high school there are going to be some good players overlooked, who will come in, work hard, and continue to improve, and become excellent players. The fact that these players have succeeded means that if a player coming out of high school thinks he is good enough to earn one, if give the chance, there is no reason for him not to come to Ohio, because he can see that he will be treated fairly, and if he plays well, he can earn one.


We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Sam bobcat
General User

Member Since: 7/14/2015
Post Count: 579

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 2/12/2019 12:27:58 PM 
L.C. wrote:
Sam bobcat wrote:
He was scholarship from the start.

OK, thanks. I fixed it, and removed him from the list.

That doesn't change the general trend, though, to better and better walkons, and more of them earning starting positions. Yes, on the weaker teams of 2014-15, there were even more walkons as starters, who kept the team from being even weaker, but now, even on strong teams, there are excellent players who were overlooked coming out of high school, and who worked hard, and earned a scholarship.

Some view the fact that walkons become starters as a sign that they recruited poorly, and had a hole. I view it as a sign that out of high school there are going to be some good players overlooked, who will come in, work hard, and continue to improve, and become excellent players. The fact that these players have succeeded means that if a player coming out of high school thinks he is good enough to earn one, if give the chance, there is no reason for him not to come to Ohio, because he can see that he will be treated fairly, and if he plays well, he can earn one.


I agree. And I think the quality of walk ons is going to continue to trend upwards.
Back to Top
  
ExCat21
General User

Member Since: 9/29/2014
Post Count: 512

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 2/13/2019 6:26:42 PM 
From the 6 PWOs this year, who do you think will be the first PWO to earn a scholly ??

Last Edited: 2/13/2019 6:29:32 PM by ExCat21

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,639

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Preferred walkons
   Posted: 2/14/2019 4:50:37 PM 
ExCat21 wrote:
From the 6 PWOs this year, who do you think will be the first PWO to earn a scholly ??

There are 9, actually. Here are my picks for three that could get one quickly:
1. Dezman Cooper looks like a scholarship player, and I could see him getting one quickly.
2. Luke Ewald definitely looks like he could develop into an excellent TE. He could grab a scholarship quickly if he wins the Long Snapper spot
3. Tristian Vandenberg is similar to Ewald. If he wins the place kicking job, he'll get a scholarship.

Most of the others could be good, too, but may take a couple years in the weight room to get there. Among the other six, my sleeper pick will be Parker Titsworth. He plays DT with an attitude, and a DT has to have that. Dak could turn him into a real monster inside in a couple years.

Anyone else have guesses on the PWOs?

Last Edited: 2/17/2019 7:10:06 PM by L.C.


We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 18  of 18 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'Ohio Football Recruiting' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties