Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football Recruiting
Topic:  2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit

Topic:  2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
Author
Message
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 4,842

Status: Offline

  Sticky Topic - Message Not Read  2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/26/2017 3:40:53 PM 

 


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
stallionfan8989
General User

Member Since: 6/26/2017
Post Count: 1

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/26/2017 4:53:41 PM 
Wow, this is a questionable choice for my beloved Bobcat's. I have watched this player since he was in pee wee football and always tends to be disappointing given his size. Do not know how this player was evaluated as he was not a starter for his Jr. season, due to smaller players eating his lunch routinely. Guess size matters on this pick but fear OU is in for a rude awakening here, especially since Central Ohio has much better players at this position to be had. Best guess is a project player at best.
Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 2,712

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/26/2017 6:38:42 PM 
stallionfan8989 wrote:
Wow, this is a questionable choice for my beloved Bobcat's. I have watched this player since he was in pee wee football and always tends to be disappointing given his size. Do not know how this player was evaluated as he was not a starter for his Jr. season, due to smaller players eating his lunch routinely. Guess size matters on this pick but fear OU is in for a rude awakening here, especially since Central Ohio has much better players at this position to be had. Best guess is a project player at best.


Well, one Bobcat coach said "big upside" in his tweet so you may be right. I'd guess they saw something or wouldn't have offered.

Anyway, welcome aboard. I'll watch this guy with special interest after your evaluation.
Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 3,057

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/26/2017 7:15:52 PM 
stallionfan8989 wrote:
Wow, this is a questionable choice for my beloved Bobcat's. I have watched this player since he was in pee wee football and always tends to be disappointing given his size. Do not know how this player was evaluated as he was not a starter for his Jr. season, due to smaller players eating his lunch routinely. Guess size matters on this pick but fear OU is in for a rude awakening here, especially since Central Ohio has much better players at this position to be had. Best guess is a project player at best.


We may be just trying to get numbers because somebody probably mentioned that other schools have 12-15 commits. Scholarships are gold and we should act like it. If this kid did not start his junior, why are we offering? Will we take eight easy wins to catch up?


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
BuddyLee
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 566

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/26/2017 7:23:19 PM 
It's very concerning based on stallion's breakdown. I'm guessing there isn't any information at all from the recruiting services or high school film available if he didn't start as a junior.

Last Edited: 6/26/2017 7:27:13 PM by BuddyLee

Back to Top
  
C Money
General User



Member Since: 8/28/2010
Post Count: 3,144

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/26/2017 8:22:05 PM 
Some video is embedded in this profile:
http://scoutingohio.com/index.php?option=com_community&vi...

Most of the video shows him on the DL, and a decent space eater, too.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User



Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 7,986

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/26/2017 8:39:33 PM 
stallionfan8989 wrote:
Wow, this is a questionable choice for my beloved Bobcat's. I have watched this player since he was in pee wee football and always tends to be disappointing given his size. Do not know how this player was evaluated as he was not a starter for his Jr. season, due to smaller players eating his lunch routinely. Guess size matters on this pick but fear OU is in for a rude awakening here, especially since Central Ohio has much better players at this position to be had. Best guess is a project player at best.

We don't often get posts like this, regarding new commits. The last one like this I remember was regarding Eric Herman. Sadly, that was before the BA data loss, or I'd link to it. It nearly directly mirrored your post, though. We'll come back to this post in a few years and see if you were prescient, or not.

Last Edited: 6/26/2017 8:40:47 PM by L.C.


"It starts with a toughness mindset. You have got to be able to line up and make the tough yards. The kids have to believe in it. I believe in being multiple with a strong running game and a complimentary play action passing attack."

Back to Top
  
Doc Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,145

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/26/2017 9:52:56 PM 
L.C. wrote:
stallionfan8989 wrote:
Wow, this is a questionable choice for my beloved Bobcat's. I have watched this player since he was in pee wee football and always tends to be disappointing given his size. Do not know how this player was evaluated as he was not a starter for his Jr. season, due to smaller players eating his lunch routinely. Guess size matters on this pick but fear OU is in for a rude awakening here, especially since Central Ohio has much better players at this position to be had. Best guess is a project player at best.

We don't often get posts like this, regarding new commits. The last one like this I remember was regarding Eric Herman. Sadly, that was before the BA data loss, or I'd link to it. It nearly directly mirrored your post, though. We'll come back to this post in a few years and see if you were prescient, or not.



Not sure how "big" he is. An old roster says 275. A newer one just says he's 6'6". I imagine he's close to 300 after watching the limited vids. Recruiting times have changed. I used to complain about 225 pound OLs.

One saving grace is that he's part of a great program at Bishop Hartley.


http://www.docpowell.net

Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 4,236

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/26/2017 10:45:30 PM 
allen wrote:
stallionfan8989 wrote:
Wow, this is a questionable choice for my beloved Bobcat's. I have watched this player since he was in pee wee football and always tends to be disappointing given his size. Do not know how this player was evaluated as he was not a starter for his Jr. season, due to smaller players eating his lunch routinely. Guess size matters on this pick but fear OU is in for a rude awakening here, especially since Central Ohio has much better players at this position to be had. Best guess is a project player at best.


We may be just trying to get numbers because somebody probably mentioned that other schools have 12-15 commits. Scholarships are gold and we should act like it. If this kid did not start his junior, why are we offering? Will we take eight easy wins to catch up?


There's no way a Division I staff would just offer someone just to try to catch up in numbers to other schools. They have to see something worthy in this player.

Stallion? Must be a DeSales fan, no?

Back to Top
  
Bcat2
General User

Member Since: 7/6/2010
Post Count: 3,932

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/26/2017 11:45:28 PM 
Jeff McKinney wrote:
allen wrote:
stallionfan8989 wrote:
Wow, this is a questionable choice for my beloved Bobcat's. I have watched this player since he was in pee wee football and always tends to be disappointing given his size. Do not know how this player was evaluated as he was not a starter for his Jr. season, due to smaller players eating his lunch routinely. Guess size matters on this pick but fear OU is in for a rude awakening here, especially since Central Ohio has much better players at this position to be had. Best guess is a project player at best.


We may be just trying to get numbers because somebody probably mentioned that other schools have 12-15 commits. Scholarships are gold and we should act like it. If this kid did not start his junior, why are we offering? Will we take eight easy wins to catch up?


There's no way a Division I staff would just offer someone just to try to catch up in numbers to other schools. They have to see something worthy in this player.

Stallion? Must be a DeSales fan, no?



Perhaps the youngster camped this summer and dominated.


"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." JFK

Back to Top
  
Sam bobcat
General User

Member Since: 7/14/2015
Post Count: 275

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/26/2017 11:59:27 PM 
stallionfan8989 wrote:
Wow, this is a questionable choice for my beloved Bobcat's. I have watched this player since he was in pee wee football and always tends to be disappointing given his size. Do not know how this player was evaluated as he was not a starter for his Jr. season, due to smaller players eating his lunch routinely. Guess size matters on this pick but fear OU is in for a rude awakening here, especially since Central Ohio has much better players at this position to be had. Best guess is a project player at best.


Trotter and Fernandez from last years OL class seem to be busts too from what I've heard.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User



Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 7,986

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/27/2017 12:32:18 AM 
O-line recruiting always seems to be more of a mystery than any other position. Perhaps it's because players almost never come in ready to play, and usually must mature for 3 years or so before they are ready. Injuries are a factor as well. In the final analysis, sometimes you get little known players who come in and play well, and sometimes you get guys that dominate in high school that come in and don't improve. That's one reason I always like to see a strong walkon program at offensive line, though it hasn't worked out that well at Ohio. A few guys have come is an walkons and done well, but not many.

When you hire a new OL coach, he gets a pass for a few years while he recruits and trains his own guys. Johnson has been at Ohio for a few years now. We'll see what sort of product he can put on the field this fall.

Last Edited: 6/27/2017 12:34:16 AM by L.C.


"It starts with a toughness mindset. You have got to be able to line up and make the tough yards. The kids have to believe in it. I believe in being multiple with a strong running game and a complimentary play action passing attack."

Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 3,057

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/27/2017 10:00:06 AM 
L.C. wrote:
stallionfan8989 wrote:
Wow, this is a questionable choice for my beloved Bobcat's. I have watched this player since he was in pee wee football and always tends to be disappointing given his size. Do not know how this player was evaluated as he was not a starter for his Jr. season, due to smaller players eating his lunch routinely. Guess size matters on this pick but fear OU is in for a rude awakening here, especially since Central Ohio has much better players at this position to be had. Best guess is a project player at best.

We don't often get posts like this, regarding new commits. The last one like this I remember was regarding Eric Herman. Sadly, that was before the BA data loss, or I'd link to it. It nearly directly mirrored your post, though. We'll come back to this post in a few years and see if you were prescient, or not.



Eric Herman started his junior year and had multiple offers. I remember he had offers from Toledeo and BGSU. This is definitely a unique offer, I have never seen us offer somebody who did not start their junior year.


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
ozarkcat
General User

Member Since: 7/20/2006
Location: Missouri
Post Count: 55

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/27/2017 12:45:21 PM 
He was at the Blue-Grey All American combine at Paul Brown stadium on April 26: Their comment: ''Massive and mobile, the 6-6, 305-pound junior has some tools to work with.'' This sounds a bit some optimistic than some comments here.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User



Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 7,986

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/27/2017 12:46:34 PM 
allen wrote:
Eric Herman started his junior year and had multiple offers. I remember he had offers from Toledeo and BGSU. This is definitely a unique offer, I have never seen us offer somebody who did not start their junior year.

I wasn't saying that his situation was like Herman's, though there is one definite similarity. Like Gilliland, Herman was primarily recruited as a DL, but Ohio recruited him as an OL. My primary point, though, was that the post was extremely similar to one that appeared on Hermans' thread shortly after Herman gave his verbal. Shortly after Herman gave his verbal to Ohio someone posted that they had followed his career for years, that they were a big Bobcat fan, and that Ohio had made a terrible error, and that Herman was routinely dominated on the line, and that there were much better players available. It's a shame we had the data loss, or I'd find that post and link to it.

As for offering players that didn't start their Junior year, that is not that unusual. TJ Carrie and Lavon Brazill are two examples. What is different about this case is that in prior cases you had players who didn't start their Junior year, but who had outstanding Senior years, whereas in this case he has yet to prove himself on the field at the high school level since his Senior year is still ahead. My only guess is that Gilliland performed extremely well at the Ohio Camp.

I have no idea if this is a good addition or not. I agree that it's odd. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last Edited: 6/27/2017 1:12:01 PM by L.C.


"It starts with a toughness mindset. You have got to be able to line up and make the tough yards. The kids have to believe in it. I believe in being multiple with a strong running game and a complimentary play action passing attack."

Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 3,001

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/27/2017 1:15:08 PM 
First time poster comes on and immediately badmouths a new recruit... Sorry, just seems a little agenda-driven to me.
Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 3,057

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/27/2017 1:53:18 PM 
L.C. wrote:
allen wrote:
Eric Herman started his junior year and had multiple offers. I remember he had offers from Toledeo and BGSU. This is definitely a unique offer, I have never seen us offer somebody who did not start their junior year.

I wasn't saying that his situation was like Herman's, though there is one definite similarity. Like Gilliland, Herman was primarily recruited as a DL, but Ohio recruited him as an OL. My primary point, though, was that the post was extremely similar to one that appeared on Hermans' thread shortly after Herman gave his verbal. Shortly after Herman gave his verbal to Ohio someone posted that they had followed his career for years, that they were a big Bobcat fan, and that Ohio had made a terrible error, and that Herman was routinely dominated on the line, and that there were much better players available. It's a shame we had the data loss, or I'd find that post and link to it.

As for offering players that didn't start their Junior year, that is not that unusual. TJ Carrie and Lavon Brazill are two examples. What is different about this case is that in prior cases you had players who didn't start their Junior year, but who had outstanding Senior years, whereas in this case he has yet to prove himself on the field at the high school level since his Senior year is still ahead. My only guess is that Gilliland performed extremely well at the Ohio Camp.

I have no idea if this is a good addition or not. I agree that it's odd. We'll just have to wait and see.


Ok, I understand.


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 3,057

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/27/2017 2:01:12 PM 
I looked at one of his highlights from Hudl, he is not a bad athlete for his size. He is a little slow off the snap and he will need to get a lot stronger to play D1 ball. We need to take our time and get the best players that we can. We just had two guys get drafted, let's leverage that.

Last Edited: 6/29/2017 8:00:11 PM by allen


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
Doc Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,145

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/27/2017 2:28:21 PM 
ozarkcat wrote:
He was at the Blue-Grey All American combine at Paul Brown stadium on April 26: Their comment: ''Massive and mobile, the 6-6, 305-pound junior has some tools to work with.'' This sounds a bit some optimistic than some comments here.


For sure.

Size does matter. Back in the dark recruiting days you could coach up a 225 Fr. OL as much as you
wanted. You still ended up with a 250 pound senior that got his arse kicked by a 300 pounder.

I am cautiously optimistic and I think our recruiting success will soon heat up.


http://www.docpowell.net

Back to Top
  
Doc Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,145

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/27/2017 2:32:11 PM 
Honk your horns.

Time for me to open up that new bottle of Monkey Shoulders.

3000 posts.

And where is Monroe?


http://www.docpowell.net

Back to Top
  
Bcat2
General User

Member Since: 7/6/2010
Post Count: 3,932

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/27/2017 4:41:52 PM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
First time poster comes on and immediately badmouths a new recruit... Sorry, just seems a little agenda-driven to me.


Yup. Appears to be some axe grinding, which, the usual suspects will quickly jump to pile on.

So far Athlon and Phil Steele have both rated Ohio's coaching as best in the MAC, so, we might just give them the benefit of the doubt. If they judged him at a camp vs other recruits they have enough to judge if he is worthy of a ship.


"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." JFK

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 4,036

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/27/2017 11:53:00 PM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
First time poster comes on and immediately badmouths a new recruit... Sorry, just seems a little agenda-driven to me.


First time poster that happens to be "stallion", which would be Hartley's chief Catholic School competition for players in Central Ohio. Definitely some axe grinding going on here. Maybe the salt in the wound is that Hartley actually has a couple recent State Titles.
Back to Top
  
Sam bobcat
General User

Member Since: 7/14/2015
Post Count: 275

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 6/29/2017 11:40:20 PM 
L.C. wrote:
O-line recruiting always seems to be more of a mystery than any other position. Perhaps it's because players almost never come in ready to play, and usually must mature for 3 years or so before they are ready. Injuries are a factor as well. In the final analysis, sometimes you get little known players who come in and play well, and sometimes you get guys that dominate in high school that come in and don't improve. That's one reason I always like to see a strong walkon program at offensive line, though it hasn't worked out that well at Ohio. A few guys have come is an walkons and done well, but not many.

When you hire a new OL coach, he gets a pass for a few years while he recruits and trains his own guys. Johnson has been at Ohio for a few years now. We'll see what sort of product he can put on the field this fall.


I'll admit, O line is the hardest position for me to judge. As for walk ons, Nick Sink from last years class looked like one of the better young lineman this spring. Hopefully he does well and earns a scholarship.
Back to Top
  
ExCat21
General User

Member Since: 9/29/2014
Post Count: 294

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 7/1/2017 1:40:51 PM 
I hope they keep him on DL. I actually like this recruit too and glad we jumped on him early. He might run a 5.5-5.9 forty yard dash, but if we can shave his time down to a sub 5.0 flat he can really pose problems for opponents. He has to learn to be more saavy with his handplay in the trenches but I trust our DL coach to coach him up there. At his size he will recquire a double team which will allow our LBs to stop the run. He's like a 2 star player with potential to be a 4 maybe 5 depending on his 4 year weightroom training. Redshirt him and this investment will have other players benefiting off of him too.

Last Edited: 7/1/2017 1:41:57 PM by ExCat21

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User



Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 7,986

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2018 OL Patrick Gilliland (Columbus Bishop Hartley HS, OH) - Ohio Commit
   Posted: 7/4/2017 6:29:30 PM 
Sam bobcat wrote:
Trotter and Fernandez from last years OL class seem to be busts too from what I've heard.

Trotter appear as the backup LT, per this unofficial depth chart:
http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-c...

Is it accurate? Who knows.


"It starts with a toughness mindset. You have got to be able to line up and make the tough yards. The kids have to believe in it. I believe in being multiple with a strong running game and a complimentary play action passing attack."

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 29 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football Recruiting' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             





Copyright ©2017 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties