Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  RE: Coach Frank Solich & the OU Athletic Department

Topic:  RE: Coach Frank Solich & the OU Athletic Department
Author
Message
Rbrat10
General User

Member Since: 12/15/2020
Location: Portsmouth, OH
Post Count: 26

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coach Frank Solich & the OU Athletic Department
   Posted: 1/10/2021 11:33:52 AM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Frank will name his own departure date and that's how it's going to be. Regardless of what anyone thinks of that, just get used to the idea. While there have been some letdowns and missed expectations, we're a pretty successful program running on a shoestring budget in a lousy stadium with fickle, at best, and quiet fan support.

I'm curious and anxious to know what the next era of Bobcat Football will be like, but Frank will retire on his own terms and I'm fine with that.



The lack of fan support is what bothers me the most. You can walk around town on game day and see as many osu shirts as Ohio shirts. I get that osu is the "big dog" in the state, but damn support your school or hometown team. I didn't even go to OU but still drive 90 miles every week for a home game, and will never change doing that.

Anyways whenever Coach decides to hang it up, I hope they go after a young go getter. Either way ill be there on Saturday's cheering on our boys!


#OUOHYEAH

Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 1,833

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coach Frank Solich & the OU Athletic Department
   Posted: 1/10/2021 11:34:47 AM 
Club Hyatt, good post. I agree with what you're saying. What I don't know and what I'm asking is this: if we do what NIU did and spend more on the staff do we make money or at least break even? The student fees are already bankrolling the athletic department. The money has to come from somewhere.
Back to Top
  
Club Hyatt
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,142

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coach Frank Solich & the OU Athletic Department
   Posted: 1/10/2021 12:01:31 PM 
Rbrat10 wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Frank will name his own departure date and that's how it's going to be. Regardless of what anyone thinks of that, just get used to the idea. While there have been some letdowns and missed expectations, we're a pretty successful program running on a shoestring budget in a lousy stadium with fickle, at best, and quiet fan support.

I'm curious and anxious to know what the next era of Bobcat Football will be like, but Frank will retire on his own terms and I'm fine with that.



The lack of fan support is what bothers me the most. You can walk around town on game day and see as many osu shirts as Ohio shirts. I get that osu is the "big dog" in the state, but damn support your school or hometown team. I didn't even go to OU but still drive 90 miles every week for a home game, and will never change doing that.


A couple things that have hurt in particular the past few years is not having a good non-conference opponent in Peden. Interest does kick up if its perceived as a big game.

Second thing is they've gone away from the early season night game. Cooler than roasting in the heat and more time for the fans to arrive. A few people complained that it was keeping their kids up too late so they ditched it.

The best crowds were in 2012 when Ohio started undefeated and since they haven't been in the major bowl race aside from a moment that is also a factor. Town will get up for a game if there is a reason for it (e.g. big home game, title on the line).

Fortunately bigger home games are coming back. Syracuse, Iowa State and Cincinnati are all penciled to show up in Peden.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
Club Hyatt
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,142

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coach Frank Solich & the OU Athletic Department
   Posted: 1/10/2021 12:14:12 PM 
giacomo wrote:
Club Hyatt, good post. I agree with what you're saying. What I don't know and what I'm asking is this: if we do what NIU did and spend more on the staff do we make money or at least break even? The student fees are already bankrolling the athletic department. The money has to come from somewhere.


Probably enough additional revenue if Ohio were to win like that to cover the salary differential of a more expensive staff (1 mill HC). The likelihood of that level of success is slim with a new staff as it is with the current.

Student fees have always been bankrolling the athletic department. Only the biggest 30 athletic or so athletic departments in the country can run their athletic department entirely without student fees.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,401

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coach Frank Solich & the OU Athletic Department
   Posted: 1/10/2021 1:58:59 PM 
Club Hyatt wrote:
giacomo wrote:
Club Hyatt, good post. I agree with what you're saying. What I don't know and what I'm asking is this: if we do what NIU did and spend more on the staff do we make money or at least break even? The student fees are already bankrolling the athletic department. The money has to come from somewhere.


Probably enough additional revenue if Ohio were to win like that to cover the salary differential of a more expensive staff (1 mill HC). The likelihood of that level of success is slim with a new staff as it is with the current.

Student fees have always been bankrolling the athletic department. Only the biggest 30 athletic or so athletic departments in the country can run their athletic department entirely without student fees.


But with projected on campus undergraduate enrollment for 2024 at 12K, that's a huge drop in student fees from the 18k in 2016.

Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 589

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coach Frank Solich & the OU Athletic Department
   Posted: 1/10/2021 8:51:57 PM 


Last Edited: 1/10/2021 8:54:07 PM by Bobcat1996

Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 589

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coach Frank Solich & the OU Athletic Department
   Posted: 1/10/2021 8:53:17 PM 
Do not confuse a couple folks post as an urge to force Frank out. Frank is going no where unless Frank wants to go somewhere. [/QUOTE]


That is 100% correct Billy.
Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 1,833

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coach Frank Solich & the OU Athletic Department
   Posted: 1/10/2021 10:35:46 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
Club Hyatt wrote:
giacomo wrote:
Club Hyatt, good post. I agree with what you're saying. What I don't know and what I'm asking is this: if we do what NIU did and spend more on the staff do we make money or at least break even? The student fees are already bankrolling the athletic department. The money has to come from somewhere.


Probably enough additional revenue if Ohio were to win like that to cover the salary differential of a more expensive staff (1 mill HC). The likelihood of that level of success is slim with a new staff as it is with the current.

Student fees have always been bankrolling the athletic department. Only the biggest 30 athletic or so athletic departments in the country can run their athletic department entirely without student fees.


But with projected on campus undergraduate enrollment for 2024 at 12K, that's a huge drop in student fees from the 18k in 2016.


That number is sobering. It appears to me that we would not succeed in trying to elevate the program on many levels. I still believe we should pay our head coaches in line with what a dean makes, around 300k. We can find good coaches with potential at that number, but will not keep them if they succeed. So be it. It will not make a difference in revenue or enrollment. We are kidding ourselves if we think otherwise.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 58  of 58 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2021 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties