Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  Why Four Teams Dominate

Topic:  Why Four Teams Dominate
Author
Message
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 1,759

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 12/31/2020 9:34:40 PM 
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-four-teams-dominate-the-...

Reinforces that we have no chance to elevate our program. The old bowl system was better for everyone.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,826

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 12/31/2020 10:26:30 PM 
giacomo wrote:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-four-teams-dominate-the-...

Reinforces that we have no chance to elevate our program. The old bowl system was better for everyone.


You can go back 10 years and I stated many times that exact thing
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,358

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/1/2021 12:23:05 PM 
The crux of the article is that success breeds success, which has essentially created a monopoly on the playoff for three or four schools. But the most interesting paragraph in the article was this one:

The CFP’s Hancock rejected the notion that lower-earning conferences have no chance, saying: “Every team is equal when the season starts.” The CFP has no imminent plans to expand, and changing the contract, now in year seven of 12, would require unanimous consent of all conferences, ESPN and the bowl games, Hancock said.


The first sentence is pure BS. The "P" teams, and especially the four or five who are there every year, have a leg up from the get-go. They usually rank in the top six or eight of the preseason polls, so they get the most attention as the season progresses. G5 teams have to make early season noise by knocking off one or more good "P" teams in OOC games to make any inroads.

The second shows how impossible the situation is for G5 teams. You're not going to get the ACC, B10 or SEC to change the contract. They have at least one team in the playoff every year, so expansion is out of the question for them. They gave G5 teams a bone by including them in a NY6 bowl and aren't willing to budge further. So that means it'll be at least five years before anything changes.

The AAC commissioner recently called for a return to a BCS model. ESPN would likely be in favor if it means more ratings for the other bowls. The bowls that aren't ESPN-originated might be in favor because it could get the other networks to bid on them, increasing their cash flow. The G5 conferences plus B12 and Pac-12 would like a fairer system. They'd just need to sweeten the pot for ACC, B10 and SEC.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 1,319

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/1/2021 12:37:47 PM 
Not sure if we will ever have a satisfying playoff format for CFB.

I don't think expanding to 8 teams would make anything any better.


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,310

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/1/2021 1:36:25 PM 
LuckySparrow wrote:
Not sure if we will ever have a satisfying playoff format for CFB.

I don't think expanding to 8 teams would make anything any better.


Seed the conference winners 1 through 10 and then 11 through 16 are at large berths.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,826

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/1/2021 2:45:48 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
LuckySparrow wrote:
Not sure if we will ever have a satisfying playoff format for CFB.

I don't think expanding to 8 teams would make anything any better.


Seed the conference winners 1 through 10 and then 11 through 16 are at large berths.



And play as many games as professionals?
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,310

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/1/2021 2:57:33 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
LuckySparrow wrote:
Not sure if we will ever have a satisfying playoff format for CFB.

I don't think expanding to 8 teams would make anything any better.


Seed the conference winners 1 through 10 and then 11 through 16 are at large berths.



And play as many games as professionals?


If you maintained the 12 game regular season, all teams would play 12 games.
20 would play 13
16 would play 14
8 would play 15
4 would play 16
2 would play 17

So four teams would play one or two more games than they are currently playing. Many would go so far as to say that by the time you get to only four teams, those teams are professional anyway.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,826

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/1/2021 2:58:51 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
LuckySparrow wrote:
Not sure if we will ever have a satisfying playoff format for CFB.

I don't think expanding to 8 teams would make anything any better.


Seed the conference winners 1 through 10 and then 11 through 16 are at large berths.



And play as many games as professionals?


If you maintained the 12 game regular season, all teams would play 12 games.
20 would play 13
16 would play 14
8 would play 15
4 would play 16
2 would play 17

So four teams would play one or two more games than they are currently playing. Many would go so far as to say that by the time you get to only four teams, those teams are professional anyway.



Those schools would play 13 with the Conference Title game.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,826

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/1/2021 2:59:48 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
LuckySparrow wrote:
Not sure if we will ever have a satisfying playoff format for CFB.

I don't think expanding to 8 teams would make anything any better.


Seed the conference winners 1 through 10 and then 11 through 16 are at large berths.



And play as many games as professionals?


If you maintained the 12 game regular season, all teams would play 12 games.
20 would play 13
16 would play 14
8 would play 15
4 would play 16
2 would play 17

So four teams would play one or two more games than they are currently playing. Many would go so far as to say that by the time you get to only four teams, those teams are professional anyway.



Those schools would play 13 with the Conference Title game.


So some would play as many as 18 games. Aren’t you the one who values the student in student athlete?
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,826

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/1/2021 3:44:57 PM 
Well like Costal Carolina, Cincinnati showed today they undoubtedly should have been playing the night cap as the AAC Champion, they can keep knocking, but they just are not there yet.
Back to Top
  
Rbrat10
General User

Member Since: 12/15/2020
Location: Portsmouth, OH
Post Count: 16

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/1/2021 5:55:53 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
LuckySparrow wrote:
Not sure if we will ever have a satisfying playoff format for CFB.

I don't think expanding to 8 teams would make anything any better.


Seed the conference winners 1 through 10 and then 11 through 16 are at large berths.



And play as many games as professionals?


Yeah play as many as the pros. They proved this year they do not look at these kids as students, if they did there would have been no season.

Honestly I think the MAC had the right idea and should have stuck with it. Wait and play in the spring. All eyes would have been on the MAC.


#OUOHYEAH

Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,121

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/1/2021 8:55:40 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:

If you maintained the 12 game regular season, all teams would play 12 games.


go to 10 game schedule and it can happen
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,826

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/1/2021 11:44:46 PM 
cc-cat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:

If you maintained the 12 game regular season, all teams would play 12 games.


go to 10 game schedule and it can happen


Schools like OHIO wouldn’t even vote for that! 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,870

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/2/2021 10:58:30 AM 
Alan Swank wrote:
LuckySparrow wrote:
Not sure if we will ever have a satisfying playoff format for CFB.

I don't think expanding to 8 teams would make anything any better.


Seed the conference winners 1 through 10 and then 11 through 16 are at large berths.



This will never happen, nor should it.

To use this year as an example, you'd be guaranteeing a playoff spot to UAB, Ball State, Coastal Carolina, Cincinnati, and San Jose State and then leaving the 2-4 teams in P5 conferences to fight over 6 remaining spots.

This year, that means three of Notre Dame (10-1), Iowa State (8-3), Texas A&M (8-1), Florida (8-3), Georgia (8-2), Northwestern (7-2), Indiana (6-1), BYU (11-1) and USC (5-1) stay home for UAB, San Jose State, and the like. And that's in a year where half the Pac 12 didn't complete their schedule. Washington easily could have ended up with 1 loss, too.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,826

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/2/2021 12:57:17 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
LuckySparrow wrote:
Not sure if we will ever have a satisfying playoff format for CFB.

I don't think expanding to 8 teams would make anything any better.


Seed the conference winners 1 through 10 and then 11 through 16 are at large berths.



This will never happen, nor should it.

To use this year as an example, you'd be guaranteeing a playoff spot to UAB, Ball State, Coastal Carolina, Cincinnati, and San Jose State and then leaving the 2-4 teams in P5 conferences to fight over 6 remaining spots.

This year, that means three of Notre Dame (10-1), Iowa State (8-3), Texas A&M (8-1), Florida (8-3), Georgia (8-2), Northwestern (7-2), Indiana (6-1), BYU (11-1) and USC (5-1) stay home for UAB, San Jose State, and the like. And that's in a year where half the Pac 12 didn't complete their schedule. Washington easily could have ended up with 1 loss, too.



Agreed
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,358

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/2/2021 1:13:17 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
LuckySparrow wrote:
Not sure if we will ever have a satisfying playoff format for CFB.

I don't think expanding to 8 teams would make anything any better.


Seed the conference winners 1 through 10 and then 11 through 16 are at large berths.



This will never happen, nor should it.

To use this year as an example, you'd be guaranteeing a playoff spot to UAB, Ball State, Coastal Carolina, Cincinnati, and San Jose State and then leaving the 2-4 teams in P5 conferences to fight over 6 remaining spots.

This year, that means three of Notre Dame (10-1), Iowa State (8-3), Texas A&M (8-1), Florida (8-3), Georgia (8-2), Northwestern (7-2), Indiana (6-1), BYU (11-1) and USC (5-1) stay home for UAB, San Jose State, and the like. And that's in a year where half the Pac 12 didn't complete their schedule. Washington easily could have ended up with 1 loss, too.



Some years work better than others. Last year, the five G5 champs were Memphis (#17 in the final CFP rankings at 12-1), #19 Boise (12-1), #20 AppSt (12-1), FAU (10-3) and Fiami (8-5). They would replace the 12-16 teams in the CFP: Bama and ND (each 10-2) and Michigan, Auburn and Iowa (each 9-3). A pretty good trade.

In 2018 UCF finished #8, so the other four G5 champs would replace the 13-16 CFP teams. In would be #21 Fresno (11-2), AppSt (10-2), UAB (10-3) and NIU (8-5). They would replace WashSt (10-2), Kentucky (9-3), Texas (9-4) and WVU (8-3). Few arguments there, either.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,826

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/2/2021 1:15:26 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
LuckySparrow wrote:
Not sure if we will ever have a satisfying playoff format for CFB.

I don't think expanding to 8 teams would make anything any better.


Seed the conference winners 1 through 10 and then 11 through 16 are at large berths.



This will never happen, nor should it.

To use this year as an example, you'd be guaranteeing a playoff spot to UAB, Ball State, Coastal Carolina, Cincinnati, and San Jose State and then leaving the 2-4 teams in P5 conferences to fight over 6 remaining spots.

This year, that means three of Notre Dame (10-1), Iowa State (8-3), Texas A&M (8-1), Florida (8-3), Georgia (8-2), Northwestern (7-2), Indiana (6-1), BYU (11-1) and USC (5-1) stay home for UAB, San Jose State, and the like. And that's in a year where half the Pac 12 didn't complete their schedule. Washington easily could have ended up with 1 loss, too.



Some years work better than others. Last year, the five G5 champs were Memphis (#17 in the final CFP rankings at 12-1), #19 Boise (12-1), #20 AppSt (12-1), FAU (10-3) and Fiami (8-5). They would replace the 12-16 teams in the CFP: Bama and ND (each 10-2) and Michigan, Auburn and Iowa (each 9-3). A pretty good trade.

In 2018 UCF finished #8, so the other four G5 champs would replace the 13-16 CFP teams. In would be #21 Fresno (11-2), AppSt (10-2), UAB (10-3) and NIU (8-5). They would replace WashSt (10-2), Kentucky (9-3), Texas (9-4) and WVU (8-3). Few arguments there, either.


And not one of them would have represented as one of the top 4 teams in the country, which when you have a 4 team playoff is the goal, the top 4 teams!
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,121

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/2/2021 3:12:43 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
cc-cat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:

If you maintained the 12 game regular season, all teams would play 12 games.


go to 10 game schedule and it can happen


Schools like OHIO wouldn’t even vote for that! 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️


Schools like Ohio do not matter to the NCAA and this equation. Money matters and a "Sweet Sixteen" in some fashion (not necessarily as defined above - e.g., highest ranked 2 -3 non power make it) would generate more money than March Madness dreams of generating. I agree, it may not be good for Ohio, but that is no longer a concern for those in power. And don't be surprised if the MAC goes along with it. Generates money for the conference head and a coach that takes a MAC school to the dance (and, oh my, pulls an upset) get's a higher profile and a chance to jump - see Groce.

Last Edited: 1/2/2021 3:21:28 PM by cc-cat

Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 551

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/11/2021 1:09:30 PM 
College football rankings 2021 from Sporting News. Do these schools look familiar?


1. Alabama
How could a team that is replacing six first-team All-Americans reload? By Continuing "The Process" under Nick Saban. It's Bryce Young's turn at quarterback, and Trey Sanders, Jase McClellan, John Metchie and Jahleel Billingsley are next in line as playmakers. The defense should improve too with Will Anderson Jr. and the potential return of Christopher Allen, who combined for 20 sacks in 2020. The season opens with Miami, and there are road dates at Florida, Texas A&M and Auburn. It's never easy, but the Tide seem well-equipped to handle the challenge.

2. Clemson
D.J. Uiagalelei has offered a glimpse of life after Trevor Lawrence, and it’s clear the Tigers’ offense is in good hands with the former five-star recruit. Lyn-J Dixon will finally step into a starting role at running back, and E.J. Williams and Frank Ladson should take the next step at receiver. Defensive end Myles Murphy and linebacker Trenton Simpson gained valuable experience as freshmen, and the return of James Skalski is huge for a defense that faces a big test out of the gate against Georgia.

3. Ohio State
The Buckeyes likely will lose quarterback Justin Fields to the NFL draft, and that should leave a wide-open competition with C.J. Stroud, Jack Miller III and incoming five-star freshman Kyle McCord. Whoever takes over will have an absurd amount of talent to work with at the receiver position, led by Garrett Wilson. The defense loses a lot, but Tommy Togiai, Zach Harrison and Tyreke Smith can retool the defensive line. Ryan Day has enough to lead a fifth straight Big Ten championship run.

4. Oklahoma
The Sooners were one of the hottest teams at the end of the 2020 season, and Spencer Rattler should be even better in his second year as a starter under coach Lincoln Riley. The tandem of Marcus Major and Seth McGowan in the running game should be fantastic, and Marvin Mims and Theo Wease should be Rattler’s top two targets. The defense improved too, though some key players have a decision to make with the 2021 NFL Draft. Oklahoma will be an "it" team after the strong finish and Cotton Bowl victory against Florida. Will that lead to a fifth CFP appearance?

5. Georgia
JT Daniels steadied the quarterback position late in the season, and the Bulldogs have enough depth built by Kirby Smart’s recruiting to make yet another run toward an SEC championship and Playoff berth. Running back Zamir White and receiver George Pickens are back, too, as well as Georgia's top two tacklers Nakobe Dean and Lewis Cine. The opener against Clemson is another chance to flex on the national stage.

6. Notre Dame
The Irish — who return to independent status in 2021 — face heavy losses on both sides, including quarterback Ian Book. Wisconsin transfer Jack Coan has experience, and there are playmakers returning in running backs Kyren Williams and Chris Tyree and tight end Michael Mayer. The offensive line and front seven will need rebuilt, but Brian Kelly successfully retooled both sides of the ball the last three seasons. The matchup against Wisconsin at Soldier Field is an interesting test to see how the interior will hold up on both sides.

7. Texas A&M
Jimbo Fisher put the program in the College Football Playoff conversation for the first time in 2020. Now, the challenge is to keep it there. The Aggies lose a loaded senior class, with either Zach Calzada or Haynes King taking over for veteran quarterback Kellen Mond. The good news is leading rusher Isaiah Spiller, top receiver Ainias Smith and All-American guard Kenyon Green return. The defense allowed just 21.7 points per game in 2019. The cross-over schedule is friendly, and Auburn and Alabama have to visit College Station.

8. Florida
The Gators flopped in the bowl game, and key components of that potent passing attack — quarterback Kyle Trask, tight end Kyle Pitts and receiver Kadarious Toney — are headed to the next level. That said, Dan Mullen has led three consecutive runs to New Year's Day 6 bowls, and the offense will change with Emory Jones under center. The other challenge is rebuilding the offensive line. Zachary Carter and Brenton Cox will lead a talented defense. This season will test whether Florida can reload and consistently compete for an SEC championship.

Last Edited: 1/11/2021 1:11:05 PM by Bobcat1996

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 7,358

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/11/2021 3:07:16 PM 
A USAT article laments the loss of good teams west of the Mississippi. All the good players from the west coast are heading back east because that's where all the contenders are. Teams west of the Mississippi have filled only six of the 28 CFP slots, and three of those were by Oklahoma.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2021/01/11/al... /


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Club Hyatt
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,080

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/11/2021 5:41:18 PM 
giacomo wrote:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-four-teams-dominate-the-...

Reinforces that we have no chance to elevate our program. The old bowl system was better for everyone.


I'm not really sure about what you mean by elevating the program.

The program as it was to be, in accordance with Boeh's 1995 plan "arrived" by 2012. He thought the Bobcats could reach the Top 25 and regularly Top 40 which they did in the few years prior to 2012. In that plan was an IPF that by then was under construction, televised games on ESPN, a bowl win (Boeh argued the MAC would eventually have more bowls), equipment deal with custom gear.

It was about being a competitive FBS program. If the program goes on a NIU run that is great but shouldn't be the minimum expectation. What Cincinnati is doing is good. They reload pretty fast when down and bring in serious recruiting talent with each staff is another model. In the MAC the floor could be 6-6 which is the same as 4-8 in the AAC.

Perception rules big on this board. There wasn't much of a season at all this year and attendance in Peden was zero so many think the program is down and out. University at the moment is but athletics is its own component.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
Lande71
General User

Member Since: 9/19/2010
Post Count: 265

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/11/2021 7:18:30 PM 
Bobcat1996 wrote:
College football rankings 2021 from Sporting News. Do these schools look familiar?


1. Alabama
How could a team that is replacing six first-team All-Americans reload? By Continuing "The Process" under Nick Saban. It's Bryce Young's turn at quarterback, and Trey Sanders, Jase McClellan, John Metchie and Jahleel Billingsley are next in line as playmakers. The defense should improve too with Will Anderson Jr. and the potential return of Christopher Allen, who combined for 20 sacks in 2020. The season opens with Miami, and there are road dates at Florida, Texas A&M and Auburn. It's never easy, but the Tide seem well-equipped to handle the challenge.

2. Clemson
D.J. Uiagalelei has offered a glimpse of life after Trevor Lawrence, and it’s clear the Tigers’ offense is in good hands with the former five-star recruit. Lyn-J Dixon will finally step into a starting role at running back, and E.J. Williams and Frank Ladson should take the next step at receiver. Defensive end Myles Murphy and linebacker Trenton Simpson gained valuable experience as freshmen, and the return of James Skalski is huge for a defense that faces a big test out of the gate against Georgia.

3. Ohio State
The Buckeyes likely will lose quarterback Justin Fields to the NFL draft, and that should leave a wide-open competition with C.J. Stroud, Jack Miller III and incoming five-star freshman Kyle McCord. Whoever takes over will have an absurd amount of talent to work with at the receiver position, led by Garrett Wilson. The defense loses a lot, but Tommy Togiai, Zach Harrison and Tyreke Smith can retool the defensive line. Ryan Day has enough to lead a fifth straight Big Ten championship run.

4. Oklahoma
The Sooners were one of the hottest teams at the end of the 2020 season, and Spencer Rattler should be even better in his second year as a starter under coach Lincoln Riley. The tandem of Marcus Major and Seth McGowan in the running game should be fantastic, and Marvin Mims and Theo Wease should be Rattler’s top two targets. The defense improved too, though some key players have a decision to make with the 2021 NFL Draft. Oklahoma will be an "it" team after the strong finish and Cotton Bowl victory against Florida. Will that lead to a fifth CFP appearance?

5. Georgia
JT Daniels steadied the quarterback position late in the season, and the Bulldogs have enough depth built by Kirby Smart’s recruiting to make yet another run toward an SEC championship and Playoff berth. Running back Zamir White and receiver George Pickens are back, too, as well as Georgia's top two tacklers Nakobe Dean and Lewis Cine. The opener against Clemson is another chance to flex on the national stage.

6. Notre Dame
The Irish — who return to independent status in 2021 — face heavy losses on both sides, including quarterback Ian Book. Wisconsin transfer Jack Coan has experience, and there are playmakers returning in running backs Kyren Williams and Chris Tyree and tight end Michael Mayer. The offensive line and front seven will need rebuilt, but Brian Kelly successfully retooled both sides of the ball the last three seasons. The matchup against Wisconsin at Soldier Field is an interesting test to see how the interior will hold up on both sides.

7. Texas A&M
Jimbo Fisher put the program in the College Football Playoff conversation for the first time in 2020. Now, the challenge is to keep it there. The Aggies lose a loaded senior class, with either Zach Calzada or Haynes King taking over for veteran quarterback Kellen Mond. The good news is leading rusher Isaiah Spiller, top receiver Ainias Smith and All-American guard Kenyon Green return. The defense allowed just 21.7 points per game in 2019. The cross-over schedule is friendly, and Auburn and Alabama have to visit College Station.

8. Florida
The Gators flopped in the bowl game, and key components of that potent passing attack — quarterback Kyle Trask, tight end Kyle Pitts and receiver Kadarious Toney — are headed to the next level. That said, Dan Mullen has led three consecutive runs to New Year's Day 6 bowls, and the offense will change with Emory Jones under center. The other challenge is rebuilding the offensive line. Zachary Carter and Brenton Cox will lead a talented defense. This season will test whether Florida can reload and consistently compete for an SEC championship.



Count me as for a new format to find the true champion. Put all 8 teams above in a new league and let them play each other during the regular season. They can add a couple more teams to the mix, say North Carolina , Auburn, or Texas, Wisconsin, Penn St. (maybe you would have others)etc. on any given year to make a ten team league. Let them put their teams on the field week after week against each other. At the end of the year the 2 best teams can play for the championship or have the 4 best teams in a playoff. Let them lay it on the line week after week! And.... let the rest of college football play for league championships without them and bowl games. That’s what happens anyway. I know an argument would be: what about teams that lose their ranking and others that might achieve it? Leave room to exchange teams out based on their prowess and replace them with the best teams. For the most part it appears those 8 are gonna be there every year. Just my thoughts, nothing more. OSU and Clemson wouldn’t be able to argue each other’s schedule, either. It just might save college football as the same teams are there all the team. Allows everyone else to go back to traditional football and might spike more interest for them and their fans!
Back to Top
  
Casper71
General User

Member Since: 12/1/2006
Post Count: 2,433

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/12/2021 12:31:11 AM 
Didn't do this but go back 10-20-30 years ago and probably 5 of those 8 teams are the same. So, even in the P5 lots of teams will never reach that top 4.
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,396

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/12/2021 12:00:56 PM 
I loathe anything in sports that requires voting/ranking/human judgment of the results. Turns football into figure skating and diving. I've long said the tournament should simply be a tournament of conference champions and the rankings can be burned to the ground. If you don't win your conference, then you don't get a chance at a national title, period. And if you feel certain conferences aren't deserving of a seat in that tournament, then put them in a more appropriate division.

Taking this further, you could disperse the Pac-12 and just make 4 mega Power conferences, then do the same for the non-power conferences and have 2 four team tournaments. Again, the key factor for me being just having conference champions go represent their conference at the national level and not worry about rankings.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,612

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Why Four Teams Dominate
   Posted: 1/12/2021 12:32:53 PM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
I loathe anything in sports that requires voting/ranking/human judgment of the results. Turns football into figure skating and diving. I've long said the tournament should simply be a tournament of conference champions and the rankings can be burned to the ground. If you don't win your conference, then you don't get a chance at a national title, period. And if you feel certain conferences aren't deserving of a seat in that tournament, then put them in a more appropriate division.

Taking this further, you could disperse the Pac-12 and just make 4 mega Power conferences, then do the same for the non-power conferences and have 2 four team tournaments. Again, the key factor for me being just having conference champions go represent their conference at the national level and not worry about rankings.


It's funny you mention the PAC 12, because them falling off a cliff has coincided with this balance of power shift you see today. College football as a whole NEEDS a West Coast team to be good. It's better for the sport overall when the entire country can be engaged in it. If USC, Washington or Oregon aren't on par with the rest of the country, you may as well just draw a line down the middle and seperate the West from the East. To a degree today, national interest has been relegated to the Southeast corner of the country and maybe a sprinkle or two in the Midwest depending on what Ohio State and Notre Dame are doing.

And it all comes down to one thing: money. The PAC 12 has paltry amounts of it compared to the other power conferences. A lot of blame can be placed on the horrific TV deal they made by controlling all of their own content on the PAC 12 Network, which is hard to find on many subscriptions. More can be blamed on Larry Scott and his decision to move the conference headquarters to downtown San Francisco, where they are just hemorrhaging money in their rent/mortgage there.

That money trickles down every where. To facilities, to recruiting, to coaching salaries, etc. Which is now why you see schools like Alabama and Texas grabbing kids from California who would (normally) be penciled in to USC or wherever else over there. Not to mention the great migration of people leaving California for cheaper cost of living elsewhere.

I'm not really sure how you balance the power back or stop it outside of major reform (reduced scholarships, scheduling tweaks from the NCAA, etc), but championship changes is a start. Whether or not you believe the same teams would win every year in a bowl system or playoffs, it's not about that. It's about the INCLUSION of everyone else.

Food for thought: what makes the NCAA Tournament so great? Do we think Ohio or Loyola or Davidson or Butler or Northern Iowa are going to win the championship? No. We know who is going to. Probably Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky or whatever power you can rattle off. But we love it anyway because EVERY Conference is represented and the path is at least clear.

In college football, not only is the path not clear, it's theoretically non-existent. And it moves from week to week. Florida had to lose 3 games this year before the Committee finally deemed Cincinnati worthy of passing them in the rankings. Iowa State lost to a Sun Belt team and was placed 10-12 spots ahead of them, and also 5-7 spots ahead of the team that beat Sun Belt team and was undefeated.

This Committee will do everything in its power to keep the money and the focus on a small few. A group of 15 or so teams from the Power 5 deemed worthy based on money, tradition and glamour...and ticket sales. I contend that the Committee has no real power and the matchups are created by the brass at ESPN. Why else would they pay so much money for the rights to televise the CFP and the bullsh*t rankings reveal every week? The Committee is located in Bristol, CT not Texas.

Last Edited: 1/12/2021 12:34:30 PM by GoCats105

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 57 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2 | 3    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2021 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties