Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  RE: The MAC East race

Topic:  RE: The MAC East race
Author
Message
bshot44
General User



Member Since: 2/12/2012
Post Count: 2,074

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/19/2019 10:49:54 PM 
OhioBobcat wrote:
shabamon wrote:
So we've finished week six and we already have a lot to work with to determine how the division race will shake out. Basically, Ohio is in very good shape.


I agree. Ohio will win the East and go to Detroit, and will beat whoever makes it there from the West. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.


After today ...I agree Ohio is in driver's seat for East. Just beat Miami, BG & Akron and they'll head to Detroit.

All very, very plausible on paper.

BUT .... this is Ohio football. The last two years it was very plausible on paper to win the East and we remember how that turned out.

Now ... as far as Ohio vs West Division. I think they go 0-4 vs West. Doubtful they win at Ball, who suddenly (sadly) looks like MACs best. WMU could be favored at Ohio. Already lost to NIU.

I'm somewhat confident on getting to Detroit now ... and more confident it'll end like the last 4 trips.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,958

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/19/2019 11:17:20 PM 
Ted Thompson wrote:
I think it comes down to the Miami game. Ohio wins that and should finish 5-3 in the MAC which I believe will win the East.

I would say, either beat Miami, or beat both WMU and Ball State. Assuming wins over BG and Akron, the former would leave Ohio at 5-3 with tiebreaker advantages over Buffalo, Kent, and Miami, while the latter would leave Ohio at 6-2. Neither is 100%, though, as someone else in the East could end up 6-2, or even 7-1, though I doubt it will happen.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,293

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/19/2019 11:17:44 PM 
bshot44 wrote:
OhioBobcat wrote:
shabamon wrote:
So we've finished week six and we already have a lot to work with to determine how the division race will shake out. Basically, Ohio is in very good shape.


I agree. Ohio will win the East and go to Detroit, and will beat whoever makes it there from the West. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.


After today ...I agree Ohio is in driver's seat for East. Just beat Miami, BG & Akron and they'll head to Detroit.

All very, very plausible on paper.

BUT .... this is Ohio football. The last two years it was very plausible on paper to win the East and we remember how that turned out.

Now ... as far as Ohio vs West Division. I think they go 0-4 vs West. Doubtful they win at Ball, who suddenly (sadly) looks like MACs best. WMU could be favored at Ohio. Already lost to NIU.

I'm somewhat confident on getting to Detroit now ... and more confident it'll end like the last 4 trips.


Not so fast my friend. If we beat the three teams you mentioned and lose to WMU and Ball State and Miami wins all their others, they win the East. Probably the same for others like Kent as well but haven’t really looked at that.
Back to Top
  
bshot44
General User



Member Since: 2/12/2012
Post Count: 2,074

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/20/2019 2:30:51 AM 
colobobcat66 wrote:
bshot44 wrote:
OhioBobcat wrote:
shabamon wrote:
So we've finished week six and we already have a lot to work with to determine how the division race will shake out. Basically, Ohio is in very good shape.


I agree. Ohio will win the East and go to Detroit, and will beat whoever makes it there from the West. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.


After today ...I agree Ohio is in driver's seat for East. Just beat Miami, BG & Akron and they'll head to Detroit.

All very, very plausible on paper.

BUT .... this is Ohio football. The last two years it was very plausible on paper to win the East and we remember how that turned out.

Now ... as far as Ohio vs West Division. I think they go 0-4 vs West. Doubtful they win at Ball, who suddenly (sadly) looks like MACs best. WMU could be favored at Ohio. Already lost to NIU.

I'm somewhat confident on getting to Detroit now ... and more confident it'll end like the last 4 trips.


Not so fast my friend. If we beat the three teams you mentioned and lose to WMU and Ball State and Miami wins all their others, they win the East. Probably the same for others like Kent as well but haven’t really looked at that.


Miami winning at Ball State, Kent AND Ohio is unlikely to me. Just my guess.

But yes ... if they were to pull out the Kent and Ball road wins AND not stumble at home vs BG & Akron ... they would be 6-2. Fact. Just doesn't seem likely to me.

Miami at Kent next wknd is huge. Elimination game almost. A Kent win would really help Ohio seeing how Flashes would still have Toledo, UB, EMU & Ball left ... can't see Flashes sweeping those.

Last Edited: 10/20/2019 2:31:23 AM by bshot44

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,958

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/20/2019 10:15:38 AM 
And, in the topsy, turvy, world that is the MAC this year, where anyone can beat anyone else, EMU finished the weekend by getting it's first MAC win of the year, pinning the second MAC loss on WMU. Now the only team undefeated in MAC play is Ball State, who was 3-5 last year, and finished 5th in the West, while the team in second in the West is CMU, who was 0-8 in conference last year. Of the seven teams who had winning records in MAC play last year, only 2 have them so far this year, Ohio and Miami.

TeamRankings looks at this mess and calls the chances for MAC Championships this way:
Ohio 23.6%
Miami 10.9%
Kent 3.3%
Buffalo 2.2%

Ball State 40.3%
WMU 12.1%
CMU 4.0%
Toledo 1.9%
NIU 1.2%
EMU .5%

So, three weeks in, we are down to only 10 teams that have a real shot at the MACC.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,293

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/20/2019 11:06:57 AM 
L.C. wrote:
And, in the topsy, turvy, world that is the MAC this year, where anyone can beat anyone else, EMU finished the weekend by getting it's first MAC win of the year, pinning the second MAC loss on WMU. Now the only team undefeated in MAC play is Ball State, who was 3-5 last year, and finished 5th in the West, while the team in second in the West is CMU, who was 0-8 in conference last year. Of the seven teams who had winning records in MAC play last year, only 2 have them so far this year, Ohio and Miami.

TeamRankings looks at this mess and calls the chances for MAC Championships this way:
Ohio 23.6%
Miami 10.9%
Kent 3.3%
Buffalo 2.2%

Ball State 40.3%
WMU 12.1%
CMU 4.0%
Toledo 1.9%
NIU 1.2%
EMU .5%

So, three weeks in, we are down to only 10 teams that have a real shot at the MACC.


Good stuff here although I’m not sure that less than a 5% chance is a real shot. Looks like 4 teams with a real shot, but this is the MAC so only time will tell.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,230

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/20/2019 11:28:07 AM 
Why waste our time analyzing this? With our inept defense, we can't win a title.

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,958

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/20/2019 11:50:38 AM 
SBH wrote:
Why waste our time analyzing this? With our inept defense, we can't win a title.

Because there are no MAC teams without flaws. The team that wins will be the team that improves the most from here. Also, it is interesting from a standpoint that this year is the most parity I have every seen in any conference.

colobobcat66 wrote:
L.C. wrote:
And, in the topsy, turvy, world that is the MAC this year, where anyone can beat anyone else, EMU finished the weekend by getting it's first MAC win of the year, pinning the second MAC loss on WMU. Now the only team undefeated in MAC play is Ball State, who was 3-5 last year, and finished 5th in the West, while the team in second in the West is CMU, who was 0-8 in conference last year. Of the seven teams who had winning records in MAC play last year, only 2 have them so far this year, Ohio and Miami.

TeamRankings looks at this mess and calls the chances for MAC Championships this way:
Ohio 23.6%
Miami 10.9%
Kent 3.3%
Buffalo 2.2%

Ball State 40.3%
WMU 12.1%
CMU 4.0%
Toledo 1.9%
NIU 1.2%
EMU .5%

So, three weeks in, we are down to only 10 teams that have a real shot at the MACC.


Good stuff here although I’m not sure that less than a 5% chance is a real shot. Looks like 4 teams with a real shot, but this is the MAC so only time will tell.

And yet, let's look at the teams under 5%:
1. CMU and Kent both have only one MAC loss, so there is no way I can say they don't have a real shot.
2. Buffalo went 8-0 last year, and went 3-0 last year against the West. They do have losses to Miami and Ohio, so they will lose any tiebreaker, so they have to win out.
3. Toledo and NIU both have 2 losses, which isn't a good start, yet both have a history of winning the West, so either of them could get back on track and win out.
4. EMU has losses to Ball State and CMU, but a win over WMU. Strange days. They started a new QB against WMU, and he went 31-36 for 357 yards and 3 TDs. If he keeps playing at even close to that, EMU is a threat to win the rest of their games.

In the end, I don't think any team will go 8-0 or even 7-1 in conference play, and only a few will manage 6-2. Given that any of the ten above could end up 6-2, I can't rule any of them out.

Even stranger, only one game next week is sure to eliminate someone from having a "real shot". The loser of the EMU-Toledo game will be pretty much out of the running. In the other five games, WMU (BG), Buffalo (CMU), and NIU (Akron) need to win to stay in the running. Thus, with half the MAC season done, we could still have as many as 9 teams still in the running.

Last Edited: 10/20/2019 11:53:56 AM by L.C.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 302

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/20/2019 12:18:06 PM 
Ball St and Central Michigan were picked by many college football publications to end up 5 and 6 in the West. They are on top going into the last week of October. Plenty of football left to play. As doubledribble mentioned a few days ago, most of this league is pretty balanced as any team can win on a given day. Take them one game at a time and hope for the best.
Back to Top
  
Robert Fox
General User

Member Since: 11/16/2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Post Count: 1,872

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/20/2019 1:28:49 PM 
Maybe this is why national media spends so little attention on predicting MAC games. It makes them look bad. There's so much parity, and so little payoff (with regard to readership), the national media would rather just ignore the MAC than stick their foot in their mouths.
Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,293

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/20/2019 3:04:17 PM 
L.C. wrote:
SBH wrote:
Why waste our time analyzing this? With our inept defense, we can't win a title.

Because there are no MAC teams without flaws. The team that wins will be the team that improves the most from here. Also, it is interesting from a standpoint that this year is the most parity I have every seen in any conference.

colobobcat66 wrote:
L.C. wrote:
And, in the topsy, turvy, world that is the MAC this year, where anyone can beat anyone else, EMU finished the weekend by getting it's first MAC win of the year, pinning the second MAC loss on WMU. Now the only team undefeated in MAC play is Ball State, who was 3-5 last year, and finished 5th in the West, while the team in second in the West is CMU, who was 0-8 in conference last year. Of the seven teams who had winning records in MAC play last year, only 2 have them so far this year, Ohio and Miami.

TeamRankings looks at this mess and calls the chances for MAC Championships this way:
Ohio 23.6%
Miami 10.9%
Kent 3.3%
Buffalo 2.2%

Ball State 40.3%
WMU 12.1%
CMU 4.0%
Toledo 1.9%
NIU 1.2%
EMU .5%

So, three weeks in, we are down to only 10 teams that have a real shot at the MACC.


Good stuff here although I’m not sure that less than a 5% chance is a real shot. Looks like 4 teams with a real shot, but this is the MAC so only time will tell.

And yet, let's look at the teams under 5%:
1. CMU and Kent both have only one MAC loss, so there is no way I can say they don't have a real shot.
2. Buffalo went 8-0 last year, and went 3-0 last year against the West. They do have losses to Miami and Ohio, so they will lose any tiebreaker, so they have to win out.
3. Toledo and NIU both have 2 losses, which isn't a good start, yet both have a history of winning the West, so either of them could get back on track and win out.
4. EMU has losses to Ball State and CMU, but a win over WMU. Strange days. They started a new QB against WMU, and he went 31-36 for 357 yards and 3 TDs. If he keeps playing at even close to that, EMU is a threat to win the rest of their games.

In the end, I don't think any team will go 8-0 or even 7-1 in conference play, and only a few will manage 6-2. Given that any of the ten above could end up 6-2, I can't rule any of them out.

Even stranger, only one game next week is sure to eliminate someone from having a "real shot". The loser of the EMU-Toledo game will be pretty much out of the running. In the other five games, WMU (BG), Buffalo (CMU), and NIU (Akron) need to win to stay in the running. Thus, with half the MAC season done, we could still have as many as 9 teams still in the running.

LC, you’re so logical but you are basing your arguments on something other than the probabilities that TeamRanking is doing by looking at each each likely result. If you’re going to throw out their rankings, why even show them? I also think using results from prior years really has little value this year when so much is so mixed up in the MAC.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,958

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/20/2019 4:27:29 PM 
colobobcat66 wrote:
LC, you’re so logical but you are basing your arguments on something other than the probabilities that TeamRanking is doing by looking at each each likely result. If you’re going to throw out their rankings, why even show them? I also think using results from prior years really has little value this year when so much is so mixed up in the MAC.

I showed the TR odds because I think they are reasonable. In most years I would agree with you about tossing out the chances of teams with under 5% chance, but this year these numbers have been all over the place. A few weeks ago CMU and Ball State were under 5%. The teams at <5% no doubt have a hard road, but we've already seen plenty of unexpected results.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
oubobcatjohn
General User

Member Since: 1/1/2005
Post Count: 676

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/21/2019 4:26:17 PM 
Miami is a must win for Ohio. They win that game they hold the tie breakers. MAC has lots of parity and league is way down overall. Not much separation top to bottom. Important to avoid upset against BGSU. Ohio defense is that bad it could lose to BGSU. Offense hasn't been consistent enough put teams away. Bobcats are lucky they play in the east. If they were in the west they likely are at the bottom and no chance at a bowl. My hope is they can sneak out wins vs Miami, BGSU and Akron and finish 6-6 5-3 and slide into MACC game on tie breakers. They might miss out if another east team finishes strong goes 6-2 in conference play.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,958

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/22/2019 10:57:52 AM 
oubobcatjohn wrote:
Miami is a must win for Ohio. They win that game they hold the tie breakers. MAC has lots of parity and league is way down overall. Not much separation top to bottom. Important to avoid upset against BGSU. Ohio defense is that bad it could lose to BGSU. Offense hasn't been consistent enough put teams away. Bobcats are lucky they play in the east. If they were in the west they likely are at the bottom and no chance at a bowl. My hope is they can sneak out wins vs Miami, BGSU and Akron and finish 6-6 5-3 and slide into MACC game on tie breakers. They might miss out if another east team finishes strong goes 6-2 in conference play.

If Ohio loses to both Ball State and WMU, a Miami win will be essential so that Ohio can win the tiebreaker in case of an expected road jam at 5-3. However, if Ohio can win 2 of the next three, they should finish 6-2, which should do it unless Miami gets to 6-2 and has a win over Ohio.

Let's start with a win over Ball State.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
WishIWasAtLuckys
General User

Member Since: 7/31/2014
Post Count: 149

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/22/2019 4:02:27 PM 
We cannot game this out too much further than the desperate need to just get a road W this weekend.

Please.

Back to Top
  
bshot44
General User



Member Since: 2/12/2012
Post Count: 2,074

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/22/2019 8:46:59 PM 
WishIWasAtLuckys wrote:
We cannot game this out too much further than the desperate need to just get a road W this weekend.

Please.



My whole point somewhere on this board was the Miami/Kent result has much more bearing on Ohio's MAC East hopes than Ohio's result at Ball.

A loss is fine. A loss with a Kent win is actually better than fine. A loss and a Miami win is no bueno.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 8,958

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/23/2019 10:22:04 AM 
Here's another perspective on how the race will go:
https://www.sharpcollegefootball.com/mac-beta-rank

They project:
East
Ohio 5.5 conference wins
Kent 4.76
Miami 4.61
Buffalo 4.1
BG 1.69
Akron .77

West
Ball State 6.68
CMU 4.96
WMU 4.34
NIU 4.2
EMU 3.93
Toledo 2.47

Again, they show tremendous parity in both sides of the conference.

And, in a bizarre consequence of the parity, if you average the projections from Beta-rank and TeamRankings, the projected win total for each MAC team would be:
Ball State 7.4
EMU 6.8
CMU 6.8
WMU 6.6
Ohio 6.4
Buffalo 6.2
Toledo 6.1
Miami 5.8
Kent 5.4
NIU 5.1
BG 2.9
Akron .7

That gives you 7-8 bowl eligible teams, meaning that several bowl eligible MAC teams will stay home, and the parity also mostly likely means very few bowl wins.

Last Edited: 10/23/2019 6:03:43 PM by L.C.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 302

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/23/2019 7:45:38 PM 
Hoping that booked room in Detroit is what all Ohio fans can expect. Guessing that Ohio needs to win all East games rest of the way and split with Ball or Western. Not for 100% sure, but hope that is the scenario.
Back to Top
  
OhioBobcat
General User

Member Since: 1/20/2006
Post Count: 1,024

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/23/2019 11:20:11 PM 
SBH wrote:
Why waste our time analyzing this? With our inept defense, we can't win a title.



Can't??? Ohio WILL. You'll see...
Back to Top
  
BryanHall
General User

Member Since: 9/11/2010
Post Count: 152

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/24/2019 6:18:39 AM 
OhioBobcat wrote:
SBH wrote:
Why waste our time analyzing this? With our inept defense, we can't win a title.



Can't??? Ohio WILL. You'll see...



I'm somewhere in between with this sentiment. This defense has struggled so much that this team is vulnerable to lose every week--no matter how well the offense plays. However, if they get to the championship game I can see Rourke carrying the team on his back for four quarters to cement his legacy.
Back to Top
  
Sam bobcat
General User

Member Since: 7/14/2015
Post Count: 625

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/24/2019 7:28:42 AM 
BryanHall wrote:
OhioBobcat wrote:
SBH wrote:
Why waste our time analyzing this? With our inept defense, we can't win a title.



Can't??? Ohio WILL. You'll see...



I'm somewhere in between with this sentiment. This defense has struggled so much that this team is vulnerable to lose every week--no matter how well the offense plays. However, if they get to the championship game I can see Rourke carrying the team on his back for four quarters to cement his legacy.

If Ohio wins the MACC it will be because the Bobcats played well as a TEAM. Not because Rourke carried the team for four quarters.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,238

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/24/2019 9:40:26 AM 
Fun, we are talking about struggling to win the worst conference division in FBS, according to the Sagarin rankings.

1 SEC-WEST (A) = 83.38 83.16 ( 1) 7 83.34 ( 1)
2 BIG TEN-EAST (A) = 80.83 80.05 ( 3) 7 81.01 ( 2)
3 BIG 12 (A) = 80.16 80.29 ( 2) 10 80.18 ( 3)
4 PAC-12(NORTH) (A) = 77.57 78.14 ( 4) 6 77.86 ( 4)
5 SEC-EAST (A) = 77.02 76.88 ( 5) 7 76.91 ( 5)
6 PAC-12(SOUTH) (A) = 75.63 76.09 ( 6) 6 75.93 ( 6)
7 BIG TEN-WEST (A) = 74.68 75.38 ( 7) 7 75.02 ( 7)
8 AAC WEST (A) = 73.77 73.32 ( 9) 6 73.43 ( 9)
9 ACC-ATLANTIC (A) = 73.16 74.96 ( 8) 7 73.78 ( 8)
10 ACC-COASTAL (A) = 72.76 72.30 ( 10) 7 72.42 ( 10)
11 MWC-MOUNTAIN (A) = 69.03 67.90 ( 11) 6 68.72 ( 11)
12 AAC EAST (A) = 65.57 65.16 ( 12) 6 65.44 ( 12)
13 MWC-WEST (A) = 62.50 62.97 ( 14) 6 62.83 ( 13)
14 SUN BELT-EAST (A) = 62.21 63.37 ( 13) 5 62.59 ( 14)
15 MAC-WEST (A) = 61.79 62.07 ( 15) 6 62.05 ( 15)
16 I-A IND. (A) = 60.16 60.30 ( 16) 6 60.03 ( 16)
17 CONF USA-EAST (A) = 58.12 57.53 ( 17) 7 57.72 ( 17)
18 SUN BELT-WEST (A) = 57.20 57.17 ( 18) 5 57.22 ( 18)
19 CONF USA-WEST (A) = 56.66 55.90 ( 19) 7 56.23 ( 19)
20 MAC-EAST (A) = 56.14 54.81 ( 20) 6 55.44 ( 20)
21 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 53.24 53.62 ( 21) 10 53.30 ( 21)
22 BIG SKY (AA)= 51.23 51.08 ( 22) 14 51.17 ( 22)
23 COLONIAL (AA)= 48.89 49.69 ( 23) 12 49.24 ( 23)
24 IVY LEAGUE (AA)= 45.28 44.80 ( 24) 8 45.08 ( 24)
25 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 42.86 42.81 ( 25) 11 42.82 ( 25)
26 SOUTHERN (AA)= 41.96 41.69 ( 26) 9 41.85 ( 26)
27 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 40.79 40.49 ( 27) 9 40.58 ( 27)
28 PATRIOT (AA)= 34.48 34.20 ( 28) 7 34.26 ( 28)
29 BIG SOUTH (AA)= 33.35 33.65 ( 29) 8 33.51 ( 29)
30 NORTHEAST (AA)= 33.31 33.62 ( 30) 9 33.46 ( 30)
31 SWAC-WEST (AA)= 33.10 32.05 ( 31) 5 32.66 ( 31)
32 MID-EASTERN (AA)= 29.41 29.47 ( 32) 9 29.39 ( 32)
33 SWAC-EAST (AA)= 25.68 25.99 ( 34) 5 25.62 ( 34)
34 PIONEER (AA)= 25.44 26.25 ( 33) 10 25.84 ( 33)

Last Edited: 10/24/2019 9:41:32 AM by GoCats105



Back to Top
  
bshot44
General User



Member Since: 2/12/2012
Post Count: 2,074

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/24/2019 11:06:44 AM 
Sam bobcat wrote:
BryanHall wrote:
OhioBobcat wrote:
SBH wrote:
Why waste our time analyzing this? With our inept defense, we can't win a title.



Can't??? Ohio WILL. You'll see...



I'm somewhere in between with this sentiment. This defense has struggled so much that this team is vulnerable to lose every week--no matter how well the offense plays. However, if they get to the championship game I can see Rourke carrying the team on his back for four quarters to cement his legacy.

If Ohio wins the MACC it will be because the Bobcats played well as a TEAM. Not because Rourke carried the team for four quarters.


Going to need to see the defense play a solid game to fully believe this.

I agree ... get to Detroit and anything is possible.

There is no reason on earth that the 2016 team should've had the ball with a chance to win in the final minutes of that MACC game vs. WMU ... but they did.

Fortunately, the defense that year was really good. And the offense was hard to watch ... but the defense kept them in that game.

IF Ohio gets to Detroit ... I can see Rourke having a game similar to what he did vs. Kent where he literally did everything .... which was needed to overcome another poor defensive showing.

A poor defensive showing is what we've come to expect thus far in 2019 ... so until the defense performs otherwise, it's hard not to believe that might be Ohio's best chance to get that 50+ year gorilla off their back.

Last Edited: 10/24/2019 11:07:45 AM by bshot44

Back to Top
  
bshot44
General User



Member Since: 2/12/2012
Post Count: 2,074

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/24/2019 11:11:13 AM 
GoCats105 wrote:
Fun, we are talking about struggling to win the worst conference division in FBS, according to the Sagarin rankings.

1 SEC-WEST (A) = 83.38 83.16 ( 1) 7 83.34 ( 1)
2 BIG TEN-EAST (A) = 80.83 80.05 ( 3) 7 81.01 ( 2)
3 BIG 12 (A) = 80.16 80.29 ( 2) 10 80.18 ( 3)
4 PAC-12(NORTH) (A) = 77.57 78.14 ( 4) 6 77.86 ( 4)
5 SEC-EAST (A) = 77.02 76.88 ( 5) 7 76.91 ( 5)
6 PAC-12(SOUTH) (A) = 75.63 76.09 ( 6) 6 75.93 ( 6)
7 BIG TEN-WEST (A) = 74.68 75.38 ( 7) 7 75.02 ( 7)
8 AAC WEST (A) = 73.77 73.32 ( 9) 6 73.43 ( 9)
9 ACC-ATLANTIC (A) = 73.16 74.96 ( 8) 7 73.78 ( 8)
10 ACC-COASTAL (A) = 72.76 72.30 ( 10) 7 72.42 ( 10)
11 MWC-MOUNTAIN (A) = 69.03 67.90 ( 11) 6 68.72 ( 11)
12 AAC EAST (A) = 65.57 65.16 ( 12) 6 65.44 ( 12)
13 MWC-WEST (A) = 62.50 62.97 ( 14) 6 62.83 ( 13)
14 SUN BELT-EAST (A) = 62.21 63.37 ( 13) 5 62.59 ( 14)
15 MAC-WEST (A) = 61.79 62.07 ( 15) 6 62.05 ( 15)
16 I-A IND. (A) = 60.16 60.30 ( 16) 6 60.03 ( 16)
17 CONF USA-EAST (A) = 58.12 57.53 ( 17) 7 57.72 ( 17)
18 SUN BELT-WEST (A) = 57.20 57.17 ( 18) 5 57.22 ( 18)
19 CONF USA-WEST (A) = 56.66 55.90 ( 19) 7 56.23 ( 19)
20 MAC-EAST (A) = 56.14 54.81 ( 20) 6 55.44 ( 20)
21 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 53.24 53.62 ( 21) 10 53.30 ( 21)
22 BIG SKY (AA)= 51.23 51.08 ( 22) 14 51.17 ( 22)
23 COLONIAL (AA)= 48.89 49.69 ( 23) 12 49.24 ( 23)
24 IVY LEAGUE (AA)= 45.28 44.80 ( 24) 8 45.08 ( 24)
25 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 42.86 42.81 ( 25) 11 42.82 ( 25)
26 SOUTHERN (AA)= 41.96 41.69 ( 26) 9 41.85 ( 26)
27 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 40.79 40.49 ( 27) 9 40.58 ( 27)
28 PATRIOT (AA)= 34.48 34.20 ( 28) 7 34.26 ( 28)
29 BIG SOUTH (AA)= 33.35 33.65 ( 29) 8 33.51 ( 29)
30 NORTHEAST (AA)= 33.31 33.62 ( 30) 9 33.46 ( 30)
31 SWAC-WEST (AA)= 33.10 32.05 ( 31) 5 32.66 ( 31)
32 MID-EASTERN (AA)= 29.41 29.47 ( 32) 9 29.39 ( 32)
33 SWAC-EAST (AA)= 25.68 25.99 ( 34) 5 25.62 ( 34)
34 PIONEER (AA)= 25.44 26.25 ( 33) 10 25.84 ( 33)


Fun question ...

How many MVFC teams would be able to win the MAC East this year ...

I think there's no question North Dakota St could win the entire MAC ... and I think South Dakota State would certainly challenge.

No fluke that ESPN Gameday is going to be at the NDSU/SDSU game this Saturday.

I think No. Iowa, Illinois St and Youngstown St the last few years could certainly be competitive in the MAC East.

It is a little comical that we struggle to win the worst division in FBS ... and even with two of the better teams during the Solich era the last couple seasons, they couldn't win either.

#MACtion
Back to Top
  
Sam bobcat
General User

Member Since: 7/14/2015
Post Count: 625

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The MAC East race
   Posted: 10/24/2019 1:49:46 PM 
bshot44 wrote:
Sam bobcat wrote:
BryanHall wrote:
OhioBobcat wrote:
SBH wrote:
Why waste our time analyzing this? With our inept defense, we can't win a title.



Can't??? Ohio WILL. You'll see...



I'm somewhere in between with this sentiment. This defense has struggled so much that this team is vulnerable to lose every week--no matter how well the offense plays. However, if they get to the championship game I can see Rourke carrying the team on his back for four quarters to cement his legacy.

If Ohio wins the MACC it will be because the Bobcats played well as a TEAM. Not because Rourke carried the team for four quarters.


Going to need to see the defense play a solid game to fully believe this.

I agree ... get to Detroit and anything is possible.

There is no reason on earth that the 2016 team should've had the ball with a chance to win in the final minutes of that MACC game vs. WMU ... but they did.

Fortunately, the defense that year was really good. And the offense was hard to watch ... but the defense kept them in that game.

IF Ohio gets to Detroit ... I can see Rourke having a game similar to what he did vs. Kent where he literally did everything .... which was needed to overcome another poor defensive showing.

A poor defensive showing is what we've come to expect thus far in 2019 ... so until the defense performs otherwise, it's hard not to believe that might be Ohio's best chance to get that 50+ year gorilla off their back.


Rourke didn’t do anything by himself. The O line and skill players contributed to his success. I’m sure Rourke would be the first one to agree with me.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 50  of 122 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties