Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  Ohio Bobcat Club Taxable Benefits-will that affect donations?

Topic:  Ohio Bobcat Club Taxable Benefits-will that affect donations?
Author
Message
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,046

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  Ohio Bobcat Club Taxable Benefits-will that affect donations?
   Posted: 2/27/2019 9:33:37 AM 
I donít know how long the letter about taxable benefits received by Bobcat Club members has been out(Iíve been out of town a long time and didnít get mail), but it would seem to me that the end result will be that donations will continue to drop as a result.

I know that I will giving $1 below the giving level I did before to drop at least $400 in taxable benefits. I know itís not just about the tax write off , but man itís a killer.

I feel like just giving to my major department and just say to heck with my athletic donation.


Back to Top
  
sargentfan
General User

Member Since: 3/16/2005
Post Count: 894

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Bobcat Club Taxable Benefits-will that affect donations?
   Posted: 2/27/2019 3:39:46 PM 
Can someone clarify about what is being talked about here? I know the whole argument that with a higher standard deduction you don't need to give more to save on taxes. But I've never based my giving on my taxable income. Is there something else I am missing?
Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,193

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Bobcat Club Taxable Benefits-will that affect donations?
   Posted: 2/27/2019 9:14:53 PM 
I'm not sure what the letter said but I believe it's been discussed before that required donations for seat purchases no longer are tax-deductible, whereas before they were 80 percent deductible. And as you noted, deductions don't matter anymore for a lot of people because the standard deduction is higher than they will ever be able to reach.
Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,046

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Bobcat Club Taxable Benefits-will that affect donations?
   Posted: 2/28/2019 11:10:11 AM 
Just a few examples of value of benefits:
Side line experience-$400
End zone pavilion-$40
Rohr room-$40
Hospitality village -$17
Membership package-$8!!!
Newsletter-email-$8!!!
Green lot parking-football-$150
Blue lot parking -basketball -$20
Purple lot-basketball-$100
AD -football pre game reception-$18
2 all sports passes-$40

Obviously if you take the greatly expanded standard deduction, none of this affects you. Otherwise, itís just adds a little more math to be done.

Last Edited: 2/28/2019 11:12:37 AM by colobobcat66

Back to Top
  
Mike Johnson
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: North Canton, OH
Post Count: 1,374

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Bobcat Club Taxable Benefits-will that affect donations?
   Posted: 2/28/2019 2:30:30 PM 
colobobcat66 wrote:
Just a few examples of value of benefits:
Side line experience-$400
End zone pavilion-$40
Rohr room-$40
Hospitality village -$17
Membership package-$8!!!
Newsletter-email-$8!!!
Green lot parking-football-$150
Blue lot parking -basketball -$20
Purple lot-basketball-$100
AD -football pre game reception-$18
2 all sports passes-$40

Obviously if you take the greatly expanded standard deduction, none of this affects you. Otherwise, itís just adds a little more math to be done.


When giving to Ohio Athletics or the Bobcat Club, you can deduct 100% of your gift by including a note that says you are declining any and all benefits that might accrue from your donation.



Back to Top
  
catfan28
General User

Member Since: 6/11/2011
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 1,490

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Bobcat Club Taxable Benefits-will that affect donations?
   Posted: 2/28/2019 9:06:29 PM 
Mike Johnson wrote:
When giving to Ohio Athletics or the Bobcat Club, you can deduct 100% of your gift by including a note that says you are declining any and all benefits that might accrue from your donation.


Unfortunately, most of us need/want the benefits - particularly parking. I'd bet that the subset of fans that give and decline benefits is very small.

Back to Top
  
Brian Smith
General User

Member Since: 2/3/2005
Post Count: 2,404

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio Bobcat Club Taxable Benefits-will that affect donations?
   Posted: 3/1/2019 5:59:29 PM 
catfan28 wrote:
Mike Johnson wrote:
When giving to Ohio Athletics or the Bobcat Club, you can deduct 100% of your gift by including a note that says you are declining any and all benefits that might accrue from your donation.


Unfortunately, most of us need/want the benefits - particularly parking. I'd bet that the subset of fans that give and decline benefits is very small.



Still, it's good info to know. I didn't know that was even an option.


Been kicking up sparks/we set the flames free/The windows are locked now so what'll it be?/A house on fire or a rising sea?

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 7  of 7 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties