Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
The O Zone
Topic:  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread

Topic:  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
Author
Message
TheBobcatBandit
General User



Member Since: 8/25/2013
Post Count: 538

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 5/28/2014 4:37:28 PM 
KyleWvr13 wrote:
TheBobcatBandit wrote:
Would It be possible to release colored smoke at the kickoff of football games or when we score a TD. Fans do it a lot a soccer games I'm not sure if there is a heath risk or anything but if there isn't why not.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/brownsvillehe...

Something like this but more controlled. It would really look cool and would create an atmosphere that no other school has.


You'd have to be careful with that, because you can easily delay the game several minutes by doing this, possibly giving our team a penalty.



Of course. Before this is possible we would need permission. Does anybody know if there's a rule against this? IF not I see no reason why not to ask for permission and give it a go.
Back to Top
  
RPO R6V
General User

Member Since: 1/7/2005
Post Count: 196

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 10/30/2014 8:33:00 PM 
Hi everyone, an old alumnus here, not a student, so feel free to tell me to shut up and go away, but I have one suggestion for the upcoming basketball season: Do away with the O-H-I-O-U chant with accompanying YMCA-dance-style spelling of those letters. We're Ohio. "Ohio U." seems counterproductive to our branding efforts (not to mention it sounds like the name of a directional school) and a bit hard on the ear (e.g. I never hear the school in East Lansing, Michigan referred to as "Michigan State U.") - and what's more it looks like a rip-off of Ohio State U. (because sadly they've managed to make the spelling of OUR NAME with arm gestures synonymous with their athletic programs).
Back to Top
  
RSBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,942

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 10/30/2014 10:07:54 PM 
RPO R6V wrote:
Hi everyone, an old alumnus here, not a student, so feel free to tell me to shut up and go away, but I have one suggestion for the upcoming basketball season: Do away with the O-H-I-O-U chant with accompanying YMCA-dance-style spelling of those letters. We're Ohio. "Ohio U." seems counterproductive to our branding efforts (not to mention it sounds like the name of a directional school) and a bit hard on the ear (e.g. I never hear the school in East Lansing, Michigan referred to as "Michigan State U.") - and what's more it looks like a rip-off of Ohio State U. (because sadly they've managed to make the spelling of OUR NAME with arm gestures synonymous with their athletic programs).


Alumnus, not a student either here.

And once again - we are WAY too paranoid about this!

UC or Cincinnati?
UK or Kentucky?
BG, BGSU, or Bowling Green?
USC or Southern Cal?
University of California, Cal, or UC?
Washington, UW, or University of Washington?

On & on ad nauseum............

In the 40 years since I became aware of Ohio University - I have NEVER spoke to ANYONE who did not know what institution I was speaking of, or what institution was being discussed when "OU" was used, or when Ohio University", or when "Ohio U" was used. "Ohio", maybe a few times. And those few times - it was because they did not even know Ohio University existed - so how could this "Ohio" branding initiative change that at all? I support the "branding" and increased use of "OHIO", but this trying to deny the other appropriate, affectionate, historical references is about as insane as denying climate change.........


RS Bobcat

Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 3,606

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 10/31/2014 10:14:03 AM 
RSBobcat/borna wrote:
RPO R6V wrote:
Hi everyone, an old alumnus here, not a student, so feel free to tell me to shut up and go away, but I have one suggestion for the upcoming basketball season: Do away with the O-H-I-O-U chant with accompanying YMCA-dance-style spelling of those letters. We're Ohio. "Ohio U." seems counterproductive to our branding efforts (not to mention it sounds like the name of a directional school) and a bit hard on the ear (e.g. I never hear the school in East Lansing, Michigan referred to as "Michigan State U.") - and what's more it looks like a rip-off of Ohio State U. (because sadly they've managed to make the spelling of OUR NAME with arm gestures synonymous with their athletic programs).


Alumnus, not a student either here.

And once again - we are WAY too paranoid about this!

UC or Cincinnati?
UK or Kentucky?
BG, BGSU, or Bowling Green?
USC or Southern Cal?
University of California, Cal, or UC?
Washington, UW, or University of Washington?

On & on ad nauseum............

In the 40 years since I became aware of Ohio University - I have NEVER spoke to ANYONE who did not know what institution I was speaking of, or what institution was being discussed when "OU" was used, or when Ohio University", or when "Ohio U" was used. "Ohio", maybe a few times. And those few times - it was because they did not even know Ohio University existed - so how could this "Ohio" branding initiative change that at all? I support the "branding" and increased use of "OHIO", but this trying to deny the other appropriate, affectionate, historical references is about as insane as denying climate change.........


RSBobcat is right. The Ozone needs to get their sh** together. WE are OHIO. Ohio U is bush league and small time and should never be used.
Back to Top
  
RPO R6V
General User

Member Since: 1/7/2005
Post Count: 196

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 10/31/2014 1:16:33 PM 
RSBobcat/borna wrote:
RPO R6V wrote:
Hi everyone, an old alumnus here, not a student, so feel free to tell me to shut up and go away, but I have one suggestion for the upcoming basketball season: Do away with the O-H-I-O-U chant with accompanying YMCA-dance-style spelling of those letters. We're Ohio. "Ohio U." seems counterproductive to our branding efforts (not to mention it sounds like the name of a directional school) and a bit hard on the ear (e.g. I never hear the school in East Lansing, Michigan referred to as "Michigan State U.") - and what's more it looks like a rip-off of Ohio State U. (because sadly they've managed to make the spelling of OUR NAME with arm gestures synonymous with their athletic programs).


Alumnus, not a student either here.

And once again - we are WAY too paranoid about this!

UC or Cincinnati?
UK or Kentucky?
BG, BGSU, or Bowling Green?
USC or Southern Cal?
University of California, Cal, or UC?
Washington, UW, or University of Washington?

On & on ad nauseum............

In the 40 years since I became aware of Ohio University - I have NEVER spoke to ANYONE who did not know what institution I was speaking of, or what institution was being discussed when "OU" was used, or when Ohio University", or when "Ohio U" was used. "Ohio", maybe a few times. And those few times - it was because they did not even know Ohio University existed - so how could this "Ohio" branding initiative change that at all? I support the "branding" and increased use of "OHIO", but this trying to deny the other appropriate, affectionate, historical references is about as insane as denying climate change.........



In the 40+ years I’ve been on this planet I’ve never spoken to anyone who didn’t know to whom I was referring if I said “The Cincinnati Bungles” or “The Cleveland Clowns,” but I’m pretty sure those organizations don’t want to be known by those names. : ) You are correct when you say the “Ohio” branding initiative won’t change the fact that a lot of people know who you’re talking about if you say “Ah-Hiya Yew” as a certain portion of the local population says. (No offense to the local population – my father and mother grew up in Glouster and Trimble respectively.) Some people are gonna use whatever name for us they choose, no matter what they say. In the 1960’s the Pontiac Motor Division would have preferred the GTO have the nickname “The Great One,” but guess what – people started calling it “Goat” and it stuck. To this day, if a car guy tells me he saw a really nice Goat last night I know what he means. None of this means that those of us who can serve as ambassadors for our alma mater should not try to promote what I think is a brand (“Ohio”) with a lot of equity. If you don’t agree with that, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Anyway… I don’t think I made my points clear, so let me try again. I’ll start with my secondary point, with I think you misunderstood. I don’t have any problem with “OU” as long as it’s used similarly to “OSU,” “MSU,” et al. “Ohio U.” is what I have a problem with. Let me modify your straw man argument by adding a third option (and I’ll add some schools at the end). Tell me which of these three “doesn’t belong” (as the old Sesame Street song says):

UC, Cincinnati, or U. of Cincinnati?
UK, Kentucky, or U. of Kentucky?
BG, BGSU, Bowling Green, or Bowling Green State U.?
USC, Southern Cal, or U. of Southern Cal?
University of California, Cal, UC, or U. of California?
Washington, UW, University of Washington, or U. of Washington?
U of M, Michigan, or U. of Michigan?
MSU, Michigan State, or Michigan State U.?
OSU, (The) Ohio State University, or Ohio State U.?
ND, The University of Notre Dame, or U. of Notre Dame?
FSU, Florida State University, or Florida State U.?

Now for my primary point... When the students do the chant in question, they seem to be doing the Ohio State U. shtick of spelling “O-H-I-O” with their arms and just adding a “U” on the end. It’s a bit ironic, but to me it looks as though we don’t have an original thought and we’re ripping off Ohio State U. It reminds me of seeing a high school fan base that’s adopted the Florida State U. “tomahawk chop” arm motion.

Last Edited: 10/31/2014 1:22:54 PM by RPO R6V

Back to Top
  
RSBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,942

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 10/31/2014 8:38:17 PM 
RPO R6V wrote:
RSBobcat/borna wrote:
RPO R6V wrote:
Hi everyone, an old alumnus here, not a student, so feel free to tell me to shut up and go away, but I have one suggestion for the upcoming basketball season: Do away with the O-H-I-O-U chant with accompanying YMCA-dance-style spelling of those letters. We're Ohio. "Ohio U." seems counterproductive to our branding efforts (not to mention it sounds like the name of a directional school) and a bit hard on the ear (e.g. I never hear the school in East Lansing, Michigan referred to as "Michigan State U.") - and what's more it looks like a rip-off of Ohio State U. (because sadly they've managed to make the spelling of OUR NAME with arm gestures synonymous with their athletic programs).


Alumnus, not a student either here.

And once again - we are WAY too paranoid about this!

UC or Cincinnati?
UK or Kentucky?
BG, BGSU, or Bowling Green?
USC or Southern Cal?
University of California, Cal, or UC?
Washington, UW, or University of Washington?

On & on ad nauseum............

In the 40 years since I became aware of Ohio University - I have NEVER spoke to ANYONE who did not know what institution I was speaking of, or what institution was being discussed when "OU" was used, or when Ohio University", or when "Ohio U" was used. "Ohio", maybe a few times. And those few times - it was because they did not even know Ohio University existed - so how could this "Ohio" branding initiative change that at all? I support the "branding" and increased use of "OHIO", but this trying to deny the other appropriate, affectionate, historical references is about as insane as denying climate change.........



In the 40+ years I’ve been on this planet I’ve never spoken to anyone who didn’t know to whom I was referring if I said “The Cincinnati Bungles” or “The Cleveland Clowns,” but I’m pretty sure those organizations don’t want to be known by those names. : ) You are correct when you say the “Ohio” branding initiative won’t change the fact that a lot of people know who you’re talking about if you say “Ah-Hiya Yew” as a certain portion of the local population says. (No offense to the local population – my father and mother grew up in Glouster and Trimble respectively.) Some people are gonna use whatever name for us they choose, no matter what they say. In the 1960’s the Pontiac Motor Division would have preferred the GTO have the nickname “The Great One,” but guess what – people started calling it “Goat” and it stuck. To this day, if a car guy tells me he saw a really nice Goat last night I know what he means. None of this means that those of us who can serve as ambassadors for our alma mater should not try to promote what I think is a brand (“Ohio”) with a lot of equity. If you don’t agree with that, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Anyway… I don’t think I made my points clear, so let me try again. I’ll start with my secondary point, with I think you misunderstood. I don’t have any problem with “OU” as long as it’s used similarly to “OSU,” “MSU,” et al. “Ohio U.” is what I have a problem with. Let me modify your straw man argument by adding a third option (and I’ll add some schools at the end). Tell me which of these three “doesn’t belong” (as the old Sesame Street song says):

UC, Cincinnati, or U. of Cincinnati?
UK, Kentucky, or U. of Kentucky?
BG, BGSU, Bowling Green, or Bowling Green State U.?
USC, Southern Cal, or U. of Southern Cal?
University of California, Cal, UC, or U. of California?
Washington, UW, University of Washington, or U. of Washington?
U of M, Michigan, or U. of Michigan?
MSU, Michigan State, or Michigan State U.?
OSU, (The) Ohio State University, or Ohio State U.?
ND, The University of Notre Dame, or U. of Notre Dame?
FSU, Florida State University, or Florida State U.?

Now for my primary point... When the students do the chant in question, they seem to be doing the Ohio State U. shtick of spelling “O-H-I-O” with their arms and just adding a “U” on the end. It’s a bit ironic, but to me it looks as though we don’t have an original thought and we’re ripping off Ohio State U. It reminds me of seeing a high school fan base that’s adopted the Florida State U. “tomahawk chop” arm motion.


You did clarify better - "Ohio U" being your main peeve. However - Every straw man I have ever met knows what that refers to. Besides - need 5 utterences for the tune there. I can agree on the arm gesturing - unless we want to steal it from them - like they steal from us.......


RS Bobcat

Back to Top
  
Speaker of Truth
General User

Member Since: 1/26/2011
Post Count: 437

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 11/1/2014 4:42:57 PM 
When people complain about using Ohio U it is a waste of time. I would rather have people know us as Ohio U than get us confused with Ohio State. Stop acting like we are as much a household name among casual sports fans as Ohio State.

In a perfect world we would be the only school people think of when someone says "Go Ohio", but that isn't the case and it will never change. Why not embrace trying to be the second school in Ohio instead of trying to fight a losing battle with Ohio State?
Back to Top
  
RSBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,942

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 11/1/2014 5:19:50 PM 
the123kid wrote:
Why not embrace trying to be the second school in Ohio instead of trying to fight a losing battle with Ohio State?


We're not second - we were the first in the state, and the entire NW Territory.


RS Bobcat

Back to Top
  
RPO R6V
General User

Member Since: 1/7/2005
Post Count: 196

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 11/2/2014 9:00:49 AM 
RSBobcat/borna wrote:
RPO R6V wrote:
RSBobcat/borna wrote:
RPO R6V wrote:
Hi everyone, an old alumnus here, not a student, so feel free to tell me to shut up and go away, but I have one suggestion for the upcoming basketball season: Do away with the O-H-I-O-U chant with accompanying YMCA-dance-style spelling of those letters. We're Ohio. "Ohio U." seems counterproductive to our branding efforts (not to mention it sounds like the name of a directional school) and a bit hard on the ear (e.g. I never hear the school in East Lansing, Michigan referred to as "Michigan State U.") - and what's more it looks like a rip-off of Ohio State U. (because sadly they've managed to make the spelling of OUR NAME with arm gestures synonymous with their athletic programs).


Alumnus, not a student either here.

And once again - we are WAY too paranoid about this!

UC or Cincinnati?
UK or Kentucky?
BG, BGSU, or Bowling Green?
USC or Southern Cal?
University of California, Cal, or UC?
Washington, UW, or University of Washington?

On & on ad nauseum............

In the 40 years since I became aware of Ohio University - I have NEVER spoke to ANYONE who did not know what institution I was speaking of, or what institution was being discussed when "OU" was used, or when Ohio University", or when "Ohio U" was used. "Ohio", maybe a few times. And those few times - it was because they did not even know Ohio University existed - so how could this "Ohio" branding initiative change that at all? I support the "branding" and increased use of "OHIO", but this trying to deny the other appropriate, affectionate, historical references is about as insane as denying climate change.........



In the 40+ years I’ve been on this planet I’ve never spoken to anyone who didn’t know to whom I was referring if I said “The Cincinnati Bungles” or “The Cleveland Clowns,” but I’m pretty sure those organizations don’t want to be known by those names. : ) You are correct when you say the “Ohio” branding initiative won’t change the fact that a lot of people know who you’re talking about if you say “Ah-Hiya Yew” as a certain portion of the local population says. (No offense to the local population – my father and mother grew up in Glouster and Trimble respectively.) Some people are gonna use whatever name for us they choose, no matter what they say. In the 1960’s the Pontiac Motor Division would have preferred the GTO have the nickname “The Great One,” but guess what – people started calling it “Goat” and it stuck. To this day, if a car guy tells me he saw a really nice Goat last night I know what he means. None of this means that those of us who can serve as ambassadors for our alma mater should not try to promote what I think is a brand (“Ohio”) with a lot of equity. If you don’t agree with that, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Anyway… I don’t think I made my points clear, so let me try again. I’ll start with my secondary point, with I think you misunderstood. I don’t have any problem with “OU” as long as it’s used similarly to “OSU,” “MSU,” et al. “Ohio U.” is what I have a problem with. Let me modify your straw man argument by adding a third option (and I’ll add some schools at the end). Tell me which of these three “doesn’t belong” (as the old Sesame Street song says):

UC, Cincinnati, or U. of Cincinnati?
UK, Kentucky, or U. of Kentucky?
BG, BGSU, Bowling Green, or Bowling Green State U.?
USC, Southern Cal, or U. of Southern Cal?
University of California, Cal, UC, or U. of California?
Washington, UW, University of Washington, or U. of Washington?
U of M, Michigan, or U. of Michigan?
MSU, Michigan State, or Michigan State U.?
OSU, (The) Ohio State University, or Ohio State U.?
ND, The University of Notre Dame, or U. of Notre Dame?
FSU, Florida State University, or Florida State U.?

Now for my primary point... When the students do the chant in question, they seem to be doing the Ohio State U. shtick of spelling “O-H-I-O” with their arms and just adding a “U” on the end. It’s a bit ironic, but to me it looks as though we don’t have an original thought and we’re ripping off Ohio State U. It reminds me of seeing a high school fan base that’s adopted the Florida State U. “tomahawk chop” arm motion.


You did clarify better - "Ohio U" being your main peeve. However - Every straw man I have ever met knows what that refers to. Besides - need 5 utterences for the tune there. I can agree on the arm gesturing - unless we want to steal it from them - like they steal from us.......


"Ohio U." is indeed a pet peeve of mine, but the main point of my post was the "O-H-I-O-U" chant and arm motions. I wasn't a music major but you don't need five syllables there to go along with the five beats you hear there. How about just a rest (silence) on the first beat? Possibilities include, "(Rest) O, U, Oh, Yeah!" and, "(Rest), O, H, I, O!"

Now, because I am OCD and I didn't write exactly what I should have before, AND for the poster who thinks "Ohio U." is just fine,let me try this again:

UC, Cincinnati, or U. of Cincinnati?
UK, Kentucky, or U. of Kentucky?
BG, BGSU, Bowling Green, or Bowling Green State U.?
USC, Southern Cal, or U. of Southern Cal?
University of California, Cal, UC, or U. of California?
Washington, UW, University of Washington, or U. of Washington?
U of M, Michigan, or U. of Michigan?
MSU, Michigan State, or Michigan State U.?
Princeton or PU? : )
OSU, Ohio State, or Ohio State U.?
ND, Notre Dame, or U. of Notre Dame?
FSU, Florida State, or Florida State U.?

Last Edited: 11/2/2014 1:03:03 PM by RPO R6V

Back to Top
  
RPO R6V
General User

Member Since: 1/7/2005
Post Count: 196

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 11/2/2014 9:12:45 AM 
the123kid wrote:
When people complain about using Ohio U it is a waste of time. I would rather have people know us as Ohio U than get us confused with Ohio State. Stop acting like we are as much a household name among casual sports fans as Ohio State.

In a perfect world we would be the only school people think of when someone says "Go Ohio", but that isn't the case and it will never change. Why not embrace trying to be the second school in Ohio instead of trying to fight a losing battle with Ohio State?


"Embrace trying to be the second school?" No, I will not embrace being an also-ran. Ever. Maybe there's nothing I can do that will change it, but I'll never embrace it. I sure as hell won't ever back down on defending our rightful name and identity, no matter what Columbus A&M and the "Wal-Mart alumni" do.

If anyone gets confused when I say "Ohio" it's their fault and I won't change to accommodate them. I see those momoments as opportunities to educate. They happen here in Michigan occasionally, though usually with people who aren't sports fans whatsoever. I politely explain that just as there is a Michigan and a Michigan State, there's an Ohio and an Ohio State. (Most sports fans here already get it, though. Possibly because of the existense of the two similarly-named schools in the state or possibly because we beat Michigan in The Big Dance.)

Last Edited: 11/2/2014 9:17:58 AM by RPO R6V

Back to Top
  
RSBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,942

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 11/2/2014 10:34:36 AM 
I like the pause - "OU Oh Yeah" suggestion


RS Bobcat

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,115

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 11/4/2014 9:57:26 PM 
New suggestion.

Toward the end of last year, I saw a picture of a different school's cheer sheet online. I want to say it was Iowa State's. It explained the opposing team's player and coach dirt but the student section leaders had already come up with organized cheers associated to the dirt and listed the cheers on the sheet.

It's a good idea to adopt because although there is often useful and juicy reasons to jeer other players, very little of it is used in an organized, collective manner.

For example, remember the dirt that was tied to Javon McCrea and how he tried to get an OU coed to come visit his hotel? Well explain that and also write on the sheet "Listen for a 'Thirsty' chant."
Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: Akron (sleeper agent)
Post Count: 4,661

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 11/5/2014 2:53:10 PM 
When I was doing the dirt sheet, I debated putting it online but ultimately decided against it because sometimes (looking at you Kent) the dirt was pretty heavy hitting stuff.

I have ZERO problem publishing serious (a la various criminal charges) info when I find a newspaper article or county court records site online that verifies the charges. In fact, the more of this kind of stuff the O Zone leaders can find the better the environment in the Convo usually is...

That said, I would be careful in putting the O Zone dirt sheet online. The sketchy backgrounds some of our opponents have could easily go viral and could cause some blow back on Ohio University or the O Zone.
In particular, I fear someone on this board might write a strongly worded letter..


I've seen crazier things happen.

Black 41 Flash Reverse

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,115

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 11/6/2014 8:59:39 AM 
I didn't mean that an ISU student posted the dirt sheet online as a way to help distribute it. I meant that someone took a picture of a dirt sheet from a game and posted it online.

My point was to suggest that O Zone leaders or whoever creates the dirt sheet work to think of specific chants and write them on the dirt sheet before they are printed. That way, there's a better chance for the dirt to actually be used.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,115

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 11/10/2014 11:05:16 AM 
I listened to the Marietta game online. It sounded as though the O Zone made some sort of organized noise on most possessions. So the cheerleaders have been moved back in front of the section? Hmm, seems as though it would be awfully crowded with the Bobcat Black seats. Anyway, from a noise perspective, the O Zone came through clearly over the radio. Nice job.
Back to Top
  
RPKirtland
General User

Member Since: 10/14/2012
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Post Count: 226

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 11/13/2014 5:28:32 PM 
shabamon wrote:
I listened to the Marietta game online. It sounded as though the O Zone made some sort of organized noise on most possessions. So the cheerleaders have been moved back in front of the section? Hmm, seems as though it would be awfully crowded with the Bobcat Black seats. Anyway, from a noise perspective, the O Zone came through clearly over the radio. Nice job.


It is cramped, but whatever. The cheerleaders are being great helps, they wait for a prompt from the O Zone and help start it rather than them starting chants every possession. This is going to be a great year for us in the bleachers. Kudos to whomever (Drake?) made the decision to put the cheerleaders there.
Back to Top
  
boydhallbobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 198

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official O Zone "Problem and Ideas" thread
   Posted: 11/14/2014 9:48:45 AM 
the123kid wrote:
When people complain about using Ohio U it is a waste of time. I would rather have people know us as Ohio U than get us confused with Ohio State. Stop acting like we are as much a household name among casual sports fans as Ohio State.

In a perfect world we would be the only school people think of when someone says "Go Ohio", but that isn't the case and it will never change. Why not embrace trying to be the second school in Ohio instead of trying to fight a losing battle with Ohio State?


Have to agree with this. Born and raised in Athens, but I really don't see the big deal in being called Ohio or Ohio U...Just as long as people know who we are. I'm not sure we would be settling for being second place because of this, I actually think Ohio U. rolls off the tongue better.

Now on the other hand, I've never NEVER called Ohio State, "Ohio" either. It's always been OSU or Ohio State..
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 42  of 42 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2
View Other 'The O Zone' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties