Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Volleyball
Topic:  Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys

Topic:  Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
Author
Message
stub
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 820

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 5/24/2019 10:29:41 AM 
http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/wvball/2019-20/schedule

Green Bay Tourney: Green Bay, Fresno St., Northeastern

Plus a next day match at Purdue

American Tourney: American, Temple, Winthrop

N. Texas Tourney: N. Texas, New Mexico, Kansas State

Ohio Tourney: College of Charlestown, UConn, Virginia

"Our home tournament is always a great experience for our fans," Coach Webb said. “This year it will be extra special. Two of the best players to ever play at Ohio (Ellen Herman and Abby Gilleland) will return as coaches for UConn. I know our fans will look forward to seeing them return to the Convo"

Go OHIO

p.s. Ellen Herman-Kimball is the Interim Head Coach this year.



Last Edited: 5/24/2019 3:47:53 PM by stub

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,372

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 7/9/2019 12:43:46 PM 
Big drop off in competition this year in those tournaments.
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 1,689

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 8/22/2019 7:34:58 AM 
Alan Swank wrote:
Big drop off in competition this year in those tournaments.


Maybe I'm reaching, but perhaps the recent lack of wins in the higher level preseason tourneys led to other options with most likely a few more W's.
Back to Top
  
brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Post Count: 1,531

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 8/23/2019 1:33:57 PM 
I don't think you're reaching at all, 100%. This program is not what it was when the current coach took over. I'll be very interested to see how the new AD views the program's future.
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,091

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 8/27/2019 12:19:30 PM 
Saw the team at Kings Island Saturday following their win over Wright State Friday.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 1,689

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 8/28/2019 10:53:21 AM 
brucecuth wrote:
I don't think you're reaching at all, 100%. This program is not what it was when the current coach took over. I'll be very interested to see how the new AD views the program's future.


I end up at most home volleyball games, and have been going since Theis was here. I'd never claim to be an expert on the sport, but I don't see a huge difference in the talent level of the team now vs then. I left the Green and White scrimmage thinking there's a lot of talent on the floor. It feels a little more (to me) like the rest of the conference has caught up more than we have regressed. But, there's no arguing that the win numbers have dwindled lately.

I expect good things this year, so hopefully the past couple of years' trends won't continue.
Back to Top
  
brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Post Count: 1,531

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 8/30/2019 4:02:28 PM 
100%Cat wrote:
brucecuth wrote:
I don't think you're reaching at all, 100%. This program is not what it was when the current coach took over. I'll be very interested to see how the new AD views the program's future.


I end up at most home volleyball games, and have been going since Theis was here. I'd never claim to be an expert on the sport, but I don't see a huge difference in the talent level of the team now vs then. I left the Green and White scrimmage thinking there's a lot of talent on the floor. It feels a little more (to me) like the rest of the conference has caught up more than we have regressed. But, there's no arguing that the win numbers have dwindled lately.

I expect good things this year, so hopefully the past couple of years' trends won't continue.


I certainly hope for good things too.

With an exception here and there, Webb is not bringing in the talent that Theis and Carlston did. In Webb's first year, if I recall correctly, we defeated Carlston's Buckeyes on a neutral court and went 14-0 in the MAC. That was done almost exclusively with ladies recruited by the previous regime. As Webb's players moved in, the record began to suffer. The nadir, for me anyway, was watching us put on a simply dreadful performance against TOSU at St. John arena a year ago. And that was against a lousy TOSU team that won something like 4 conference games.

Where Ohio used to recruit mainly from cities, getting the Indianapolis player of the year under Theis for example, it appears we're more likely to recruit kids from Gallipolis and Federal Hocking with little pedigree. Up until this year with the Margolies girls, I can't remember the last time we got a kid from Columbus, and there are some great programs here, like Dublin Coffman just up the road from me. Sometimes I wonder if the staff knows they exist. Webb needs to take a trip up here with Bob Bolden, who recruits the heck out of Ohio in general and Cbus in particular.

From everything I hear, Webb is a great gentleman and the ladies enjoy playing for him. But until he starts bringing in better talent, or coaching up the talent he has, I am not very optimistic about the future.
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 1,689

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/4/2019 2:14:53 PM 
Not a great start.
Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 3,334

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/4/2019 4:58:35 PM 
100%Cat wrote:
Not a great start.


Ohio seemed to compete in all three losses. Won one set in each. Lost the fourth set to Fresno State 28-26. Lost the second set to Green Bay 27-25. Lost the third set to Purdue 31-29. Had a chance in all three of them to at lest make them five-set matches. Had no trouble at all with Northeastern (18, 15, 18 sweep). Hopefully they can win in the future when they have close sets (and matches).
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,097

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/14/2019 4:38:02 PM 
Tournament sweep. I don't know if any of these teams are any good, but sweeps against the ACC and AAC sound pretty good.
Back to Top
  
brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Post Count: 1,531

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/15/2019 1:13:57 PM 
shabamon wrote:
Tournament sweep. I don't know if any of these teams are any good, but sweeps against the ACC and AAC sound pretty good.


Well, if you believe the old Bill Parcells axiom that "you are what your record says you are" the three visitors weren't very good. All were under .500 before arriving in the convo.

That said, it was a great week for the ladies. They may have something to build on here.

Memo to Jake Hromada: Not trying to be snarky, but if you put stuff on Twitter like you did on Friday when you said 0-5 Charleston is a "very good" team, you really lose a LOT of credibility. Know you're flacking for the team and athletic department, but that claim was way over the top.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Binge
General User

Member Since: 1/13/2012
Location: In the Shadow of Albany International Airport, OH
Post Count: 101

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/15/2019 7:09:16 PM 
brucecuth wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Tournament sweep. I don't know if any of these teams are any good, but sweeps against the ACC and AAC sound pretty good.


Well, if you believe the old Bill Parcells axiom that "you are what your record says you are" the three visitors weren't very good. All were under .500 before arriving in the convo.

That said, it was a great week for the ladies. They may have something to build on here.

Memo to Jake Hromada: Not trying to be snarky, but if you put stuff on Twitter like you did on Friday when you said 0-5 Charleston is a "very good" team, you really lose a LOT of credibility. Know you're flacking for the team and athletic department, but that claim was way over the top.


Memo to Bruce: not trying to be snarky, but maybe you need to do a little homework before you question Jake’s credibility. Sort of a cheap shot, in my opinion. We are very lucky to have someone of Jake’s caliber associated with our program. How many of our games have you attended this year to be able to form such evaluations of our opponents? If you had seen the College of Charleston play I don’t think you would have written that they weren’t any good. Yes, the College of Charleston doesn’t have a great record but they were a good team. They started out their season playing the defending national champions (Stanford) and have taken their lumps early on. That does not necessarily make them a bad team. Coach Webb also spoke about them in similar terms in his pre-game “Chalk Talk” to fans in the Rohr Room and pointed out that we should not be deceived by their record. Virginia was a solid team too, with a very talented middle blocker and opposite. My guess is that they will end up somewhere mid-pack in their league.
Back to Top
  
jh25
General User

Member Since: 1/17/2016
Post Count: 122

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/15/2019 11:37:18 PM 
Bobcat Binge wrote:
brucecuth wrote:
[QUOTE=shabamon]

Memo to Jake Hromada: Not trying to be snarky, but if you put stuff on Twitter like you did on Friday when you said 0-5 Charleston is a "very good" team, you really lose a LOT of credibility. Know you're flacking for the team and athletic department, but that claim was way over the top.


Memo to Bruce: not trying to be snarky, but maybe you need to do a little homework before you question Jake’s credibility. Sort of a cheap shot, in my opinion. We are very lucky to have someone of Jake’s caliber associated with our program. How many of our games have you attended this year to be able to form such evaluations of our opponents? If you had seen the College of Charleston play I don’t think you would have written that they weren’t any good. Yes, the College of Charleston doesn’t have a great record but they were a good team. They started out their season playing the defending national champions (Stanford) and have taken their lumps early on. That does not necessarily make them a bad team. Coach Webb also spoke about them in similar terms in his pre-game “Chalk Talk” to fans in the Rohr Room and pointed out that we should not be deceived by their record. Virginia was a solid team too, with a very talented middle blocker and opposite. My guess is that they will end up somewhere mid-pack in their league.


Razz Wheats on me, Bobcat Binge!!
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 1,689

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/16/2019 8:41:17 AM 
Not only did they sweep the weekend 3-0, they never lost a set. That's a positive thing to see as we near the MAC season. I looked at the MAC volleyball page last week and checked some of the schedules of the teams that have good records, and for the most part, their schedules looked weak to me (no Power 5 opponents). I think if the Cats play the way they did this weekend, and stay healthy, they'll be just fine.

Also, Jake Hromada rocks. That is all.
Back to Top
  
brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Post Count: 1,531

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/16/2019 12:02:34 PM 
Bobcat Binge wrote:
brucecuth wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Tournament sweep. I don't know if any of these teams are any good, but sweeps against the ACC and AAC sound pretty good.


Well, if you believe the old Bill Parcells axiom that "you are what your record says you are" the three visitors weren't very good. All were under .500 before arriving in the convo.

That said, it was a great week for the ladies. They may have something to build on here.

Memo to Jake Hromada: Not trying to be snarky, but if you put stuff on Twitter like you did on Friday when you said 0-5 Charleston is a "very good" team, you really lose a LOT of credibility. Know you're flacking for the team and athletic department, but that claim was way over the top.


Memo to Bruce: not trying to be snarky, but maybe you need to do a little homework before you question Jake’s credibility. Sort of a cheap shot, in my opinion. We are very lucky to have someone of Jake’s caliber associated with our program. How many of our games have you attended this year to be able to form such evaluations of our opponents? If you had seen the College of Charleston play I don’t think you would have written that they weren’t any good. Yes, the College of Charleston doesn’t have a great record but they were a good team. They started out their season playing the defending national champions (Stanford) and have taken their lumps early on. That does not necessarily make them a bad team. Coach Webb also spoke about them in similar terms in his pre-game “Chalk Talk” to fans in the Rohr Room and pointed out that we should not be deceived by their record. Virginia was a solid team too, with a very talented middle blocker and opposite. My guess is that they will end up somewhere mid-pack in their league.


Memo to BB: Get your facts straight and don't misquote me. I NEVER SAID OF CHARLESTON THAT "THEY WEREN'T ANY GOOD," AS YOU CLAIM I DID. I NEVER SAID CHARLESTON WAS A BAD TEAM, AS YOU INFER I DID. I said our opponents weren't VERY good. Huge difference, and I stand by my statement.

I don't take orders from u or anyone else on this board, particularly from someone who doesn't take the time to comprehend what I actually said or goes out of the way to mischaracterize my comments. I'll do whatever homework I please and voice my opinion whenever I choose. If you don't like it, that's your problem. I noticed you called Charleston a good team, not a very good team, a significant difference. If Jake had said same thing I probably wouldn't have commented. At any rate Charleston is now 1-7. If you think that's a good team and Jake thinks that's a very good team, good (or very good) for both of you.

Last Edited: 9/16/2019 12:11:10 PM by brucecuth

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Binge
General User

Member Since: 1/13/2012
Location: In the Shadow of Albany International Airport, OH
Post Count: 101

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/16/2019 10:44:19 PM 
Bruce, you have gone out of your way to muddy what I said so let me make it clear: we have two different opinions about the caliber of some of the teams that competed and that is fine. I thought that your jab at Jake was uncalled for and I still do. You certainly have a right to your opinion-and so do I. Message boards would be pretty boring if everyone agreed all the time.
Back to Top
  
brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Post Count: 1,531

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/17/2019 12:17:05 AM 
BB: As far as Jake is concerned, if what I said is the worst thing he ever hears about his work, then he'll have been extremely fortunate. I've taken time to compliment him, on his Remmers piece last season, for example. I'm sure he can take my criticism as well.

If there was "muddying" done here, yours are the hands that are dirty. Yes, all of us have a right to our opinions. You have no right to claim or infer that I said something I clearly didn't. That's the bottom line. No further comments from you will change that.



Last Edited: 9/17/2019 12:17:41 AM by brucecuth

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Binge
General User

Member Since: 1/13/2012
Location: In the Shadow of Albany International Airport, OH
Post Count: 101

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/17/2019 8:08:15 AM 
Bruce, I am fairly certain that Jake can take care of himself when it comes to criticism and questions of his credibility, it comes with the territory. I would love to buy you a beer at the next home match and discuss the volleyball program. I am interested in what underlying processes and reasons you use to formulate your perspective. PM me if you are able to attend and I will make sure some Jackie O's is available from the concession stand.
Back to Top
  
brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Post Count: 1,531

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/18/2019 5:50:01 AM 
Bobcat Binge wrote:
Bruce, I am fairly certain that Jake can take care of himself when it comes to criticism and questions of his credibility, it comes with the territory. I would love to buy you a beer at the next home match and discuss the volleyball program. I am interested in what underlying processes and reasons you use to formulate your perspective. PM me if you are able to attend and I will make sure some Jackie O's is available from the concession stand.


Thanks for the offer. I will respectfully decline.
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 1,689

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/18/2019 8:20:39 AM 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fYngTUZeUQ
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 3,097

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/20/2019 7:28:03 PM 
Team looks like it's grooving. Sweep over New Mexico then a 3-1 win over K-State.
Back to Top
  
David E Brightbill
General User

Member Since: 9/5/2005
Post Count: 88

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/20/2019 10:33:52 PM 
shabamon wrote:
Team looks like it's grooving. Sweep over New Mexico then a 3-1 win over K-State.


3-2 win over K-State
Back to Top
  
brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Post Count: 1,531

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fall Schedule Includes Four Tourneys
   Posted: 9/21/2019 12:43:42 AM 
By definition, road wins are good wins. Things beginning to set up nicely for MAC competition. Keep the pedal to the metal, ladies!
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 23  of 23 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'Ohio Volleyball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties