Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  RE: No More Cleveland Indians

Topic:  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
Author
Message
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,923

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/11/2021 11:43:31 AM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:


I guess I'm just not as woke as other people.


I think it's less your level of wokeness, and more about your inability to apply common sense and logic consistently.


I feel the same way.



Glad to see some self-awareness.
Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 164

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/11/2021 11:52:35 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:


I guess I'm just not as woke as other people.


I think it's less your level of wokeness, and more about your inability to apply common sense and logic consistently.


I feel the same way.



Glad to see some self-awareness.


Opinions expressed in a forum like this are just that....opinions. There are no incorrect opinions.

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,352

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/11/2021 12:15:37 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:


I guess I'm just not as woke as other people.


I think it's less your level of wokeness, and more about your inability to apply common sense and logic consistently.


I feel the same way.



Glad to see some self-awareness.


Opinions expressed in a forum like this are just that....opinions. There are no incorrect opinions.



There are many incorrect opinions. I've heard people opine that Blacks are inferior. That is an incorrect opinion.

Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 164

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/11/2021 12:24:08 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:


I guess I'm just not as woke as other people.


I think it's less your level of wokeness, and more about your inability to apply common sense and logic consistently.


I feel the same way.



Glad to see some self-awareness.


Opinions expressed in a forum like this are just that....opinions. There are no incorrect opinions.



There are many incorrect opinions. I've heard people opine that Blacks are inferior. That is an incorrect opinion.



That was said on this forum?

Last Edited: 2/11/2021 12:24:27 PM by ohiocatfan1

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,352

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/11/2021 1:05:41 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:


I guess I'm just not as woke as other people.


I think it's less your level of wokeness, and more about your inability to apply common sense and logic consistently.


I feel the same way.



Glad to see some self-awareness.


Opinions expressed in a forum like this are just that....opinions. There are no incorrect opinions.



There are many incorrect opinions. I've heard people opine that Blacks are inferior. That is an incorrect opinion.



That was said on this forum?



Not to my knowledge but where one offers an opinon is immaterial. An opinion that is factually wrong is wrong no matter where it's uttered.

Last Edited: 2/11/2021 2:11:13 PM by Alan Swank

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,923

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/11/2021 1:38:01 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:


I guess I'm just not as woke as other people.


I think it's less your level of wokeness, and more about your inability to apply common sense and logic consistently.


I feel the same way.



Glad to see some self-awareness.


Opinions expressed in a forum like this are just that....opinions. There are no incorrect opinions.



What's your address? Just want to know where to send your participation trophy.
Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,637

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/11/2021 3:12:39 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
JSF wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
I disagree with none of that. But I'm still trying to figure out how a baseball team in northern Ohio nicknamed the Indians is so terrible. Seems like "what can I be offended by today".


I don't know where you're from. I'm from Northeast Ohio and my family had season tickets in the 90s. I've been to Jacobs Field at least a hundred times. There was a protest of the name and the mascot at every game. Every one, right in front of the gates. Native Americans have been protesting it for decades. By writing it off as people being offended and having no grounds for doing so, you're simply denying people their basic dignity.

Quote:
Wow. Thin skin much?


You know, I find it interesting that we argue the point and you argue the people.


I guess I'm just not as woke as other people.


See, arguing the person.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 164

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/12/2021 3:12:16 PM 
JSF wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
JSF wrote:
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
I disagree with none of that. But I'm still trying to figure out how a baseball team in northern Ohio nicknamed the Indians is so terrible. Seems like "what can I be offended by today".


I don't know where you're from. I'm from Northeast Ohio and my family had season tickets in the 90s. I've been to Jacobs Field at least a hundred times. There was a protest of the name and the mascot at every game. Every one, right in front of the gates. Native Americans have been protesting it for decades. By writing it off as people being offended and having no grounds for doing so, you're simply denying people their basic dignity.

Quote:
Wow. Thin skin much?


You know, I find it interesting that we argue the point and you argue the people.


I guess I'm just not as woke as other people.


See, arguing the person.


Not arguing the person at all. I've clearly stated that I think being offended by a team mascot is loco.
Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,637

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/12/2021 3:18:33 PM 
That is literally arguing the person.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 164

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/12/2021 3:20:40 PM 
JSF wrote:
That is literally arguing the person.


Educate me. What does "arguing the person" even mean? How's this: If someone has time to protest or be offended by a team mascot they have too much time on their hands.

Last Edited: 2/12/2021 3:27:14 PM by ohiocatfan1

Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,155

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/12/2021 4:31:48 PM 
If someone has time time to be disturbed or upset that a team is changing their mascot because the current one offends a large group of people, they have too much time on their hands.
Back to Top
  
ohiocatfan1
General User

Member Since: 9/6/2016
Post Count: 164

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/12/2021 4:44:27 PM 
cc-cat wrote:
If someone has time time to be disturbed or upset that a team is changing their mascot because the current one offends a large group of people, they have too much time on their hands.


I have repeatedly said I couldn't care less if they change their name or not. I follow sports less now than I ever have. But can you imagine waking up in the morning and feeling down in the dumps because Cleveland still had that mascot with a big smile on his face? Too many people following social media to see what they are now supposed to be offended by. What's next? Someone's dog being offended by a team being called the bulldogs? What a joke.

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,923

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/12/2021 5:01:46 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
cc-cat wrote:
If someone has time time to be disturbed or upset that a team is changing their mascot because the current one offends a large group of people, they have too much time on their hands.


I have repeatedly said I couldn't care less if they change their name or not. I follow sports less now than I ever have. But can you imagine waking up in the morning and feeling down in the dumps because Cleveland still had that mascot with a big smile on his face? Too many people following social media to see what they are now supposed to be offended by. What's next? Someone's dog being offended by a team being called the bulldogs? What a joke.



Man, your reasoning abilities are very poor.

You keep insisting you don't care, and then following that with your opinion on the thing you don't care about. And that opinion's stated in strong terms like "the world's lost its collective mind" and "what a joke." You're on post 11 on the subject. You have a strong opinion on how others should think. That's pretty much the definition of caring.

Last Edited: 2/12/2021 5:02:13 PM by Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame

Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,155

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/12/2021 6:24:23 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
Too many people following social media to see what they are now supposed to be offended by.


You need to find a new group of friends and associates. I literally know no one and have never known anyone who follows social media to see what they are now supposed to be offended by.

I do know Native-Americans and others who are offended by the the caricature the Indians have historically used and I support their interest in doing away with it. If them being offended disturbs you... well that's on you. If them being offended does not disturb you, then why the endless posts?
Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,637

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/12/2021 8:39:07 PM 
ohiocatfan1 wrote:
JSF wrote:
That is literally arguing the person.


Educate me. What does "arguing the person" even mean? How's this: If someone has time to protest or be offended by a team mascot they have too much time on their hands.


https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 1,763

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/19/2021 6:30:35 PM 
I've been hearing some rumors that the Cleveland baseball club may not be in Cleveland for long. Apparently their lease is up on the ballpark and they are making some big demands. That and Charlotte wants a baseball team. Could get interesting.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,352

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/19/2021 10:56:13 PM 
giacomo wrote:
I've been hearing some rumors that the Cleveland baseball club may not be in Cleveland for long. Apparently their lease is up on the ballpark and they are making some big demands. That and Charlotte wants a baseball team. Could get interesting.


The ghost of Art Modell.

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,637

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/20/2021 7:59:50 PM 
giacomo wrote:
I've been hearing some rumors that the Cleveland baseball club may not be in Cleveland for long. Apparently their lease is up on the ballpark and they are making some big demands. That and Charlotte wants a baseball team. Could get interesting.


I suppose they *could* go to a smaller market in an area that has almost no baseball tradition...


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,155

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/21/2021 4:00:34 PM 
giacomo wrote:
I've been hearing some rumors that the Cleveland baseball club may not be in Cleveland for long. Apparently their lease is up on the ballpark and they are making some big demands. That and Charlotte wants a baseball team. Could get interesting.


Not heard a peep down here... yet....and we're not ready - but that may not matter. Most like having triple A here. Beautiful small park in the heart of the city.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,947

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/21/2021 8:18:31 PM 
cc-cat wrote:
giacomo wrote:
I've been hearing some rumors that the Cleveland baseball club may not be in Cleveland for long. Apparently their lease is up on the ballpark and they are making some big demands. That and Charlotte wants a baseball team. Could get interesting.


Not heard a peep down here... yet....and we're not ready - but that may not matter. Most like having triple A here. Beautiful small park in the heart of the city.



Beautiful brand new park! Beats the old place.
Back to Top
  
Kevin Finnegan
General User

Member Since: 2/4/2005
Location: Rockton, IL
Post Count: 794

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/22/2021 10:22:12 AM 
Nashville is pushing hard for an MLB team. Growing city, has been able to support NFL really well. They want expansion, but don't think they'd be opposed to a team moving. However, after 2020, I think expansion is going to be delayed and Tampa (once their massive lease is up) would be the first to look elsewhere. Their stadium sucks and their fanbase is almost non-existent.

Manfred listed the following cities as possible MLB destinations: Portland, Charlotte, Nashville, Las Vegas, Montreal. If I had any say, I'd love to see what support a city like Louisville could give to a team. Decent baseball heritage, lively city, pretty decent weather.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,923

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/22/2021 10:41:58 AM 
JSF wrote:
giacomo wrote:
I've been hearing some rumors that the Cleveland baseball club may not be in Cleveland for long. Apparently their lease is up on the ballpark and they are making some big demands. That and Charlotte wants a baseball team. Could get interesting.


I suppose they *could* go to a smaller market in an area that has almost no baseball tradition...


Feels very unlikely to me. The only argument would basically be that while Charlotte's a smaller market now, it's a fast-growing market while Cleveland's heading in t'other direction.

Charlotte would be a bet on the future. But really, I suspect this is just bluffing to get taxpayers to pick up the cost of a new stadium, the way they always do.
Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,637

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/23/2021 4:20:13 PM 
Absolutely no reason why they should build a new park.

And the exodus from Cleveland has leveled off. The metro area is actually growing and passed Orlando.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
GroverBall
General User

Member Since: 12/3/2012
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 921

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/23/2021 6:16:30 PM 
JSF wrote:
Absolutely no reason why they should build a new park.

And the exodus from Cleveland has leveled off. The metro area is actually growing and passed Orlando.


Agreed. Do teams really expect to build new stadiums every 30 years?
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,947

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: No More Cleveland Indians
   Posted: 2/23/2021 6:31:27 PM 
GroverBall wrote:
JSF wrote:
Absolutely no reason why they should build a new park.

And the exodus from Cleveland has leveled off. The metro area is actually growing and passed Orlando.


Agreed. Do teams really expect to build new stadiums every 30 years?


Ask Atlanta
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 75  of 100 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4    Next >
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2021 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties