Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  RE: The "college" vote?

Topic:  RE: The "college" vote?
Author
Message
SVAC83
General User

Member Since: 10/1/2019
Post Count: 76

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/19/2020 8:01:37 PM 
sorry that last post a little out of character to me i didn't mean to slam anyone or anybody. i had just saw people screaming at Screen of MSNBC and it drove me crazy.
Back to Top
  
SVAC83
General User

Member Since: 10/1/2019
Post Count: 76

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/19/2020 8:46:32 PM 
OK on the affordable care act i am far from a expert on this but i do not more about it then i do any other piece of legislation. In i think early 2009 or sometime. The chamber of commerce the university of rio grande, holzer hospital and some others conducted a forum at the university of Rio grande on health care and health insurance. Senator voinovich was there i think it was senator brown, a couple of congressmen from Ohio. people from like 5 different insurance companies. some doctors and administrators from ohio state and so on.

And i was tabbed to ask a question. i was hoping the affordable care act and insurance changes would be good for me. After the question and answer period i was approached by senator voinovich and he got my contact info. i got a few emails from his office and he gave my contact info to Senator tom coburn and Senator John mccain. I never talked to either one of them but talked to people in there office several times. During the affordable care act negotiations senator coburn read into the record a letter that i had written with my concerns over health insurance. I thought that was pretty cool.

So i watched almost everyday on CSPAN to the debate on the affordable care act debate. Now i am not up to date on this as i was 10 years ago. Because i sort of gave up on it ever changing. But as far as i know the railroad is the only industry or company that can offer insurance across state lines. And that is because it falls under like the railroad act or something.

But basically the amendment had a democrat and a republican co author. And it seemed like it was going to pass. But got held up because of concerns of states rights. because each individual state has the right and the ability to determine what a insurance company has to cover and what they don't so the amendment was defeated. I cannot find right now who introduced this amendment but have found it in the past by researching my name in the congressional record.

Some day when i am bored i will look for it. The democrat proposed language that if 2 states wanted to decide to have the same insurance guidelines then a company could offer packages across state lines. as of 2018 no 2 states had ever agreed to this.

Other thing son the affordable care act. Ok yes more people are insured now then before the affordable care act but 90% of those insured pickups were people that qualified for expanded medicare. so people who got insurance for free. And that number would be even higher if people would go sign up.

About 2 million more people got insurance provided from their place of work. But the affordable care act was sold everywhere as something to help people who didn't have insurance from there employer but bought it on the open market.

Before the affordable care act a insurance company could put people in to risk pools so if i was healthy, kept my weight and blood pressure down you qualify for a lower rate and so on. The affordable care act took this away.

So when i tell you the affordable care act took away my policy and policy choices it did just that.

And it screwed most of the people i know that bought insurance on the open market.

Now hey it did do somethings for some people. Because you did have high risk preexisting condition people who were paying tremendously high premiums for there insurance. But to give them coverage they could pay for they put me and healthy people like me in there risk pools and double and tripled my rates and higher deductibles then everyone else.

There was a republican counter offer that set up expanded medicare just like the affordable care group does and had risk pools for high risk people with preexisting conditions and the government would subsidies there premiums. We could of done that at spent a hell of a lot less money and still accomplished the something and not financially crushed the biggest part of 14 million people.

Hey but like i said i voted for Obama the first time i am partly to blame for what i got. Elections have consequences. I continually hoped this would get better but it has not.

in the last 10 years i have paid just about 100k in insurance premiums. i have paid almost 22k in doctors bills and my insurance has almost not paid a dime i think i looked up and i think the last time i looked they have paid less then 4k in 10 years.

it hasn't been good for me i know very few people that get there own coverage it has been good for. And we are who it is supposed to help Biden and Obama tell me that all the time.

it is what it is. To me this was just another policy another tax to stop me from getting ahead. and it seems to me that this is what almost every democratic policy does. I am lucky most people that make a little less then me this keeps them from being able to buy a house or a newer car or pay off some debt.


Trump promised that he would break the state line thing or to get different risk pools set up they didn't make it happen. He did try to set up things where everyone in one industry could group together and buy a group policy but that was shot down.

i get you guys will never agree with me and that is your right it takes all kinds. but just like i don't think every democrat is a socialist leftist. Not all republicans are right wing conservative nut jobs.

The problem is most of the correct best answers for our country our somewhere down the middle. The problem is neither party is there.







Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,559

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/19/2020 9:20:38 PM 
Appeal to moderation, five yard penalty, repeat the down.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
Kevin Finnegan
General User

Member Since: 2/4/2005
Location: Rockton, IL
Post Count: 767

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/20/2020 10:37:04 AM 
SVAC, I appreciate you continuing with the discussion despite the petty, churlish responses from one. Not sure what correcting your grammar adds to the discussion.

I can't see the equivocation of what protesters did in the streets in 2016 and what the president is doing right now. You yourself stated that only 10 million of the 70+ million Trump voters really believe the ridiculous claims he's blasting now. I hope that's true, as that would be less than 10% of the electorate. I'm not sure that's accurate, but using those same numbers, I think it's safe to assume that the 'He's not my president' group that protested in 2016 and throughout, claiming his election was fraudulent represent a similar proportion of the left's voting public.

This reminds me of when people tried to draw a line between a crazy Hollywood celebrity who posted a decapitated head of Trump and the ridiculous actions of the president himself. They're not equal. I've never voted for the Hollywood celebrity. That person does not represent the Democratic party, even if she votes for them. Donald Trump does represent the Republican party, in fact basically is the entire party's platform. So, when you cast a vote for him, you are endorsing his actions and his behaviors. Sure, you're endorsing his policies, but those policies include trying to disenfranchise millions of voters, discount legal votes, and overthrow the foundation of our democracy.

I'm excited for a Biden presidency. I think he has the makings to be a good leader. It will be the first time in quite some time that we have a president that does not have a cult-like following. I believe that we will see a restoration of many of the norms that have been pushed aside for the last four years. There will be a civility in the office and a respect for its power. I just hope we get to see this inauguration on January 20th.

Last Edited: 11/20/2020 10:41:30 AM by Kevin Finnegan

Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,048

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/20/2020 11:04:23 AM 
Kevin Finnegan wrote:
SVAC, I appreciate you continuing with the discussion despite the petty, churlish responses from one. Not sure what correcting your grammar adds to the discussion.


I disagree, Kevin.

Proper grammar says a lot about the person and, perhaps more importantly, makes it more clear to understand the point trying to be made. Many of SVAC's posts have been hard to follow due to poor grammar. While I didn't respond in a petty, churlish way, I definitely thought multiple times while reading through this thread that SVAC could benefit from suggestions on cleaning up his grammar.

Last Edited: 11/20/2020 11:04:48 AM by bobcatsquared

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,778

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/20/2020 12:55:07 PM 
SVAC83 wrote:

But basically the amendment had a democrat and a republican co author. And it seemed like it was going to pass. But got held up because of concerns of states rights. because each individual state has the right and the ability to determine what a insurance company has to cover and what they don't so the amendment was defeated. I cannot find right now who introduced this amendment but have found it in the past by researching my name in the congressional record.

Some day when i am bored i will look for it. The democrat proposed language that if 2 states wanted to decide to have the same insurance guidelines then a company could offer packages across state lines. as of 2018 no 2 states had ever agreed to this.


I'm not sure I understand the obsession with interstate selling when it comes to insurance. It's hard for me to see how it'd be a good thing.

The reason it's not possible, is that states appoint their own regulators to determine the baseline levels of care, coverage, and ensure strong policies that make sure people get good value for their premiums. The moment you regulate interstate selling, there's an immediate race to the bottom and insurance companies will begin offering plans that align with the state regulatory body that allows for plans that are in the best interest of the insurers.

Basically, it would mean that Mississippi lawmakers (or whoever) could set the standard for the nation. Why give that power to an individual state legislature?

It might make costs lower, but that's only because the plans will be worse.


SVAC83 wrote:

Other thing son the affordable care act. Ok yes more people are insured now then before the affordable care act but 90% of those insured pickups were people that qualified for expanded medicare. so people who got insurance for free. And that number would be even higher if people would go sign up.


Can you cite this data?

SVAC83 wrote:

About 2 million more people got insurance provided from their place of work. But the affordable care act was sold everywhere as something to help people who didn't have insurance from there employer but bought it on the open market.

Before the affordable care act a insurance company could put people in to risk pools so if i was healthy, kept my weight and blood pressure down you qualify for a lower rate and so on. The affordable care act took this away.


In a few paragraphs, you say you're in favor of pre-existing coverage protections. How is this different?

Further, this is really, really bad policy. If you give for-profit insurers the right to only insure healthy people, what you are left with is the most expensive portion of the population on the government's dime. That's exactly why American per capita healthcare costs are vastly higher than our counterparts. You're basically gifting the private insurers the lowest risk pool.

SVAC83 wrote:

Now hey it did do somethings for some people. Because you did have high risk preexisting condition people who were paying tremendously high premiums for there insurance. But to give them coverage they could pay for they put me and healthy people like me in there risk pools and double and tripled my rates and higher deductibles then everyone else.


Can you cite the fact that your premiums tripled? I can't find any corroborating evidence for that in broader data. Health insurance costs have risen consistently for 4 decades and continue to do so. But not at the rate you're suggesting.

SVAC83 wrote:

There was a republican counter offer that set up expanded medicare just like the affordable care group does and had risk pools for high risk people with preexisting conditions and the government would subsidies there premiums. We could of done that at spent a hell of a lot less money and still accomplished the something and not financially crushed the biggest part of 14 million people.


Cite this, as well. The original text of the ACA had mandatory medicare expansion; the end draft put that decision on the states. The only states that declined to expand were Republican states. Your recollection doesn't square with mine. Do you have any citation?


SVAC83 wrote:

in the last 10 years i have paid just about 100k in insurance premiums. i have paid almost 22k in doctors bills and my insurance has almost not paid a dime i think i looked up and i think the last time i looked they have paid less then 4k in 10 years.


Respectfully dude, you live in a country that ties health insurance to employment, and you work for an employer who has chosen not to provide you with insurance. That sucks, I know. But I employ 27 internal employees. I offer them all 100% covered health insurance. You can blame the ACA all you want, but our country ties insurance to employment and your employer has made a decision not to offer you insurance. That's the real reason you have shitty access to plans.

It's also, for what it's worth, the exact reason many, many people are in favor of universal healthcare. In Canada, for instance, there are universal plans that everybody gets, and employers just provide supplements to that basic care. The policies employers offer tack on extra value (like a private hospital room after surgery, etc).

Too be very clear, you're voting to continue employer tied coverage, even though employer tied coverage is screwing you over.

SVAC83 wrote:

it hasn't been good for me i know very few people that get there own coverage it has been good for. And we are who it is supposed to help Biden and Obama tell me that all the time.

it is what it is. To me this was just another policy another tax to stop me from getting ahead. and it seems to me that this is what almost every democratic policy does. I am lucky most people that make a little less then me this keeps them from being able to buy a house or a newer car or pay off some debt.


The private market for health insurance sucks. No question. You just voted twice to double down on that.

SVAC83 wrote:

Trump promised that he would break the state line thing or to get different risk pools set up they didn't make it happen. He did try to set up things where everyone in one industry could group together and buy a group policy but that was shot down.


He lied about having a healthcare policy for four years and never presented actual legislation. There's a lesson in there about voting for competent executives. If you like his ideas, that's cool. But ideas aren't worth anything if they come from somebody incapable of executing.










[/QUOTE]

Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 1,738

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/20/2020 2:14:53 PM 
There are a few things that could be done which would make getting and keeping health insurance easier.

- Every policy should be portable. If you were insured under an employer plan and left for whatever reason, you are covered as long as you pay the premium. The whole pre-ex thing would mostly me muted if that were to occur.

- Every person needs to pay a premium to an insurance company, subsidies included. Paying a penalty tax to the IRS doesn't help the insurance company dealing with insuring a 60 year old with medical problems. The twenty something that's healthy needs to pay. This is called adverse selection and insurance companies can't exist unless everyone pays.

Last Edited: 11/20/2020 2:15:13 PM by giacomo

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,778

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/20/2020 3:04:18 PM 
giacomo wrote:
There are a few things that could be done which would make getting and keeping health insurance easier.

- Every policy should be portable. If you were insured under an employer plan and left for whatever reason, you are covered as long as you pay the premium. The whole pre-ex thing would mostly me muted if that were to occur.

- Every person needs to pay a premium to an insurance company, subsidies included. Paying a penalty tax to the IRS doesn't help the insurance company dealing with insuring a 60 year old with medical problems. The twenty something that's healthy needs to pay. This is called adverse selection and insurance companies can't exist unless everyone pays.


Most policies are portable (under Cobra) for up to 36 months.
Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,559

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/20/2020 4:54:17 PM 
Kevin Finnegan wrote:
SVAC, I appreciate you continuing with the discussion despite the petty, churlish responses from one. Not sure what correcting your grammar adds to the discussion.


Churlish! I haven't been called that in a while! I wasn't denigrating or demeaning him for correcting the spelling. It seems petty, but it can make it harder to understand for those who are ESL or have a reading impediment.

Quote:
Most policies are portable (under Cobra) for up to 36 months.


The problem with COBRA is premiums are prohibitively expensive. I don't know of anyone who's ever opted-in tp that.

I also need to remind the ACA is a Republican creation.

Last Edited: 11/20/2020 4:58:40 PM by JSF


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,209

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/20/2020 7:09:54 PM 
All I know is that Medicare with a plan G supplement is a geat thing.
Back to Top
  
Terry Lee
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 44

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/20/2020 8:08:56 PM 
And you and your employer paid roughly 3% of your income throughout your working career plus your current premiums and it doesn’t reimburse providers their cost. Without other healthcare provides the system would be bankrupt
Back to Top
  
SVAC83
General User

Member Since: 10/1/2019
Post Count: 76

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/20/2020 8:09:23 PM 
I will be the first to tell you i don't proof read my post and i have a horrible habit of spelling things the way it sounds. I can tell you it constantly hounded me through college. probably cost me a few tenths on my grade point average. So your not going to offend me. If it makes you agree or think my point is invalid that is your choice. I come on here or any message board as a relaxation for a few minutes here or there.

I am not a politician,or a political pundit i am just a person telling you what i believe and what most people that i talk to everyday and work with believe and my side of a discussion is.

My point just is. When you guys say a vote for Trump makes you a racist.... How do you not see you are not a hug part of the problem...

I don't have time to let my blood boil or things get to me. None of you know me so i don't really care what you think of me. I don't judge myself worth from what anyone thinks about me but my wife my family and God.

And i do my best to not judge other people... i may disagree i may think they are hard headed i may even think they are stupid but why would i try to judge them that isn't up to me to decide.






Back to Top
  
SVAC83
General User

Member Since: 10/1/2019
Post Count: 76

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/20/2020 8:45:33 PM 
As far as some of the questions about the affordable care act. You know it may be hard for you to believe but i don't have my insurance statements form like 2005 to 2009 to show you as proof of what my premiums were how stupid of me not to think that in 2020 i would be in a conversation with someone looking at me to say prove it.

As far as people not understanding how allowing insurance company to sell insurance across state lines would make anything better if you cant see that on your own i am not sure i can explain it. But take the company i work for as a example. we have two locations in west Virginia and two in Ohio so if we could afford to offer insurance to our employees. We would would have to set up a group policy in west Virginia and another group policy in the state of Ohio.

So now instead of getting a group rate for maybe 35 full time people now i am looking for a group rate in one state for like 13 and 22 in another state.

I mean we cannot even pull together with other franchisees in same state to now we would be having a group in Ohio of about maybe 2500 people or in west Virginia for a 1000. do you not think i could do things and get rates to make it more affordable? i think that is just common sense.

And yes i totally get to where you could of had a race to the bottom but you could of least came up with a plan and said OK here are the minimums and i think you could of least got the majority of states to agree to a minimum.

The private insurance market didn't suck there were a few people that it sucked for we could of fixed it for them and left the rest of us alone. My problem was it wasn't sold to the American people as hey we are going to fix your insurance through your business. remember those people were told they could keep there plans. They didn't say hey we are going to insure all these people through medicaid. They said they were going to fix the private insurance market. And what i am trying to tell you is the majority of those people they screed over and the whole thing for the benefit of a few.

if you don't believe me don't believe me. That is your choice. But if you just believe the stuff that democrats pass out or tell you or what you believe then your as bad as these people that believe everything trump says.

Buy the way i was on the healthcare exchange the other day to try to pick a policy for next year. The cheapest plan regrettably it wont be the plan i but but the cheapest premium for me my wife and one daughter still on our insurance is $1232 a month. and that nice premium gives me a $6200 deductible per person and $12400 for family. Doctors visits are $50 specialist are $100 and $20 generic drugs. i don't even want to look at the premiums i am actually going to have to pay to get slightly better coverage.

For those of you who seem to think my employer is horrible for not offering health care i can tell me and them team and try to look up every year away for us to afford it. But we all agree that we would all prefer to keep people employed and give them a place to work over putting us over the edge that if we had a bad year we would be bankrupt. You may think that is horrible but profit margins are small in our industry.

I can tell you my employers are not getting super rich doing what we are doing. I have made more then the two of them combined in probably 7 out of the last 10 years. And when we make more money we always make sure we do things to better things for our employees.

We do have a matching retirement plan that all our employees are available for. We have paid time off for all our employees even part time. They all can get paid life insurance through company's and other things.

Some of your attitudes seem to make us think we are scum of the earth.





Back to Top
  
SVAC83
General User

Member Since: 10/1/2019
Post Count: 76

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/20/2020 9:15:05 PM 
one more reply and i think i am done with this topic i will check over here in a month or two and see what is interests me but i have been spending too much time here.

First trump is not the republican party. TRUMP basically high jacked the republican party and basically won the nomination the first time because of independents and disenchanted democrats. the party will be OK.

I just don't understand a party or even a group of people on here that just don't seem to get life or i am not sure where you live.

It just seems crazy to me that you guys don't think people should have a skin in the game. Right now all these people that receive free health insurance they don't care. They will go to the doctor everyday if they need to or want because they pay nothing. Call off work need a doctors excuse no problem. go to doctor get excuse call off go get drunk.

Do you know how many people that i hire part time that come and say i cant work more then 19 hours because if i do there going to cut my food stamps or my insurance. Do you not see we are creating a country and a world with these policies that are set up to keep poor people poor and dependent on the government.

I feel that is why democrats don't want to privatize social security if they really wanted to save it that would be the answer. And it would allow poor family's and poor communities to build wealth. they would not be as dependent on the government and that is a bad thing for them

So to me supporting a democrat is making sure people cannot get ahead and keep poor people poor. It wants to keep black people in government subsidized housing.

I totally get that is not how you see it but i don't see how.

To me democratic party doesn't want to reward hard work. They seem to think being successful is a horrible thing. Lets punish people who work there ass off to get ahead and succeed and take there hard earned money and give it to those who want to live off the motivated.

I am not going to change one of your minds i get that. But to call me a racist because i believe that is crazy. To tell me that we are horrible people because we want to see less babies aborted is crazy.

I am at work now and two of the four people here are gay. All four of them are conservative. Not all gay people are liberal. Now i cant tell you if they are republicans are not but they are conservatives.

But they are not right wingers that is a fringe of the party. just like progressives are a wing of the democratic party.


Well it has been great debating a little with you guys i am sure i will pipe in on another thread sometime

Back to Top
  
SVAC83
General User

Member Since: 10/1/2019
Post Count: 76

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/20/2020 9:18:11 PM 
one last thing google "10 years of obama care aka the affordable care act. There is a Washington examiner story dated march 23rd 2020. Read the facts there on the amount of people that got coverage and the percent that is medicaid expansion and see how it basically killed the market it was made to save.

Most of you wont read it because it disagrees with your point of view.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,048

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/20/2020 9:19:24 PM 
SVAC83 wrote:
For those of you who seem to think my employer is horrible for not offering health care i can tell me and them team and try to look up every year away for us to afford it.


Huh?!?!?!?

I'm sorry, SAVC83. But I read the above from your (not you're) most recent long-winded post several times with no success at comprehension. While you're (not your) not the only BA poster adverse to brevity in posting, I've found it sometimes nearly impossible to grasp the point you're trying to make.

Last Edited: 11/20/2020 9:20:55 PM by bobcatsquared

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,559

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/21/2020 1:26:07 AM 
You know... I was gonna reply to all that, then I realized I'd be wasting my time. You're not actually engaging with us. You're defending yourself against imaginary accusations, answering questions not asked, ignoring points that were substantive, and simultaneously reciting prejudiced, bigoted garbage while playing victim. So, yeah, no.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,632

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/21/2020 7:53:22 AM 
SVAC83 wrote:
one last thing google "10 years of obama care aka the affordable care act. There is a Washington examiner story dated march 23rd 2020. Read the facts there on the amount of people that got coverage and the percent that is medicaid expansion and see how it basically killed the market it was made to save.

Most of you wont read it because it disagrees with your point of view.


When you cite the Washington Examiner you lost most people.
Back to Top
  
MonroeClassmate
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2010
Post Count: 1,302

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/21/2020 9:39:23 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
SVAC83 wrote:
one last thing google "10 years of obama care aka the affordable care act. There is a Washington examiner story dated march 23rd 2020. Read the facts there on the amount of people that got coverage and the percent that is medicaid expansion and see how it basically killed the market it was made to save.

Most of you wont read it because it disagrees with your point of view.


When you cite the Washington Examiner you lost most people.


Yes, SVAC83, much better to cite the Atlantic with their 4 anonymous sources.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,778

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/21/2020 10:14:50 AM 
I read the Washington Examiner piece.

It focuses on prices in the individual marketplace increasing. They did increase, it's true.

There are two core reasons for that:

1) It's a false comparison to compare the price of pre-ACA plans to post in the individual marketplace. Before the ACA, insurers did not have to insure people. They could flat out refuse to sell plans to high risk people. So the plans that were sold were sold to largely healthy people, and thus cost less. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

2) The individual mandate was struck down by Republicans. The law never actually went into effect as designed. Without the individual mandate, there is less incentive for healthy people to lay premiums. Without their premiums, the premiums for others go up. A key provision of the law was carved out. Of course that would impact the market effects.

If you want to believe that makes the ACA a failure, that's fine. But at least acknowledge which party worked tirelessly to make sure the law wasn't implemented as written, and then followed that up by electing a man who said he'd "replace Obamacare on day 1" and then never did so, and never brought a healthcare bill up for a vote.

And why? Because the ACA is actually more popular than not: https://www.kff.org/health-reform/poll-finding/5-charts-a... /

Even in it's bastardized form.



Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,209

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/21/2020 10:15:40 AM 
Terry Lee wrote:
And you and your employer paid roughly 3% of your income throughout your working career plus your current premiums and it doesn’t reimburse providers their cost. Without other healthcare provides the system would be bankrupt


Their cost? I compare their costs to college costs. As long as there is easy money to be had, their costs will be exhorbitant and outlandish.

When my wife an I turned 65, our premiums decreased by $10,000 a year and our coverage is better.

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,778

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/21/2020 10:26:47 AM 
SVAC83 wrote:
As far as some of the questions about the affordable care act. You know it may be hard for you to believe but i don't have my insurance statements form like 2005 to 2009 to show you as proof of what my premiums were how stupid of me not to think that in 2020 i would be in a conversation with someone looking at me to say prove it.

As far as people not understanding how allowing insurance company to sell insurance across state lines would make anything better if you cant see that on your own i am not sure i can explain it. But take the company i work for as a example. we have two locations in west Virginia and two in Ohio so if we could afford to offer insurance to our employees. We would would have to set up a group policy in west Virginia and another group policy in the state of Ohio.

So now instead of getting a group rate for maybe 35 full time people now i am looking for a group rate in one state for like 13 and 22 in another state.

I mean we cannot even pull together with other franchisees in same state to now we would be having a group in Ohio of about maybe 2500 people or in west Virginia for a 1000. do you not think i could do things and get rates to make it more affordable? i think that is just common sense.

And yes i totally get to where you could of had a race to the bottom but you could of least came up with a plan and said OK here are the minimums and i think you could of least got the majority of states to agree to a minimum.

The private insurance market didn't suck there were a few people that it sucked for we could of fixed it for them and left the rest of us alone. My problem was it wasn't sold to the American people as hey we are going to fix your insurance through your business. remember those people were told they could keep there plans. They didn't say hey we are going to insure all these people through medicaid. They said they were going to fix the private insurance market. And what i am trying to tell you is the majority of those people they screed over and the whole thing for the benefit of a few.

if you don't believe me don't believe me. That is your choice. But if you just believe the stuff that democrats pass out or tell you or what you believe then your as bad as these people that believe everything trump says.

Buy the way i was on the healthcare exchange the other day to try to pick a policy for next year. The cheapest plan regrettably it wont be the plan i but but the cheapest premium for me my wife and one daughter still on our insurance is $1232 a month. and that nice premium gives me a $6200 deductible per person and $12400 for family. Doctors visits are $50 specialist are $100 and $20 generic drugs. i don't even want to look at the premiums i am actually going to have to pay to get slightly better coverage.

For those of you who seem to think my employer is horrible for not offering health care i can tell me and them team and try to look up every year away for us to afford it. But we all agree that we would all prefer to keep people employed and give them a place to work over putting us over the edge that if we had a bad year we would be bankrupt. You may think that is horrible but profit margins are small in our industry.

I can tell you my employers are not getting super rich doing what we are doing. I have made more then the two of them combined in probably 7 out of the last 10 years. And when we make more money we always make sure we do things to better things for our employees.

We do have a matching retirement plan that all our employees are available for. We have paid time off for all our employees even part time. They all can get paid life insurance through company's and other things.

Some of your attitudes seem to make us think we are scum of the earth.







Nobody said anything that implied, even remotely, that you're the scum of the earth. It's embarrassing how Americans have become so inclined to cling to grievances. All of politics is now just a race to see who can be first to get offended.

I think you're also misunderstanding the state lines thing. I have a national plan underwritten for my employees. They're very easy to get and are offered by large national networks like United and Emblem. I had one back when we were a 3 person start up, too.

My company is a large group employer. We have excellent plans, negotiated with a large group, and a very, very good loss history over the last 4 years. A Bronze plan with family care is still $1200. The only difference in cost is that we contribute.

It's a lot of money for an individual to pay. It's also a lot of money for employers.

That's exactly why I'm advocating single payer universal healthcare. It's a crazy thing to burden individuals or employers with. You're making the case for me.
Back to Top
  
SVAC83
General User

Member Since: 10/1/2019
Post Count: 76

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/21/2020 10:50:14 AM 
You guys at east give me a good laugh...
later
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,087

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The "college" vote?
   Posted: 11/21/2020 11:39:38 AM 
SVAC83 wrote:
yes i have spoken out against white hate groups and police tactics. I participated in 4 black lives matters marches over the summer. No looting or violence at any of them.


Which is true for the ones I attended and almost all of the other BLM marches across the country. Do not confuse the marches with the riots. And appreciate that the violence at the riots did, as POTUS would say, come from both sides.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  126 - 149  of 149 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties