Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  Sexual assault on campus

Topic:  Sexual assault on campus
Author
Message
DelBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/26/2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,093

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 9/26/2018 12:38:44 PM 
ATHENS, Ohio – The nation’s universities are again open for business this fall. And, again, an epidemic of campus sexual assault starts anew, as it does on many campuses in the first few weeks of the fall semester.

On the campus of Ohio University, for example, in the first four weeks of school, campus and local police have received about a dozen reports of sexual assault.

But this year, in the midst of #MeToo, of admired public figures questioned for their past behavior toward women and when a Supreme Court justice nominee is accused of sexual assault while he was a student, this well-respected university in a small southeast Ohio town has responded with rage and, as importantly, action...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2018/09/25/ohio-uni... /


BA OHIO 2010, BS OHIO 2010, MA Delaware 2012

Back to Top
  
Ohio69
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,608

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 9/26/2018 4:21:44 PM 

This exact article ran in USA Today as well.

Good to see all the actions students are taking to try to combat sexual assaults.


Can somebody hit a pull up jumper for me?.....

Back to Top
  
OhioStunter
General User



Member Since: 2/18/2005
Location: Chicago
Post Count: 2,516

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 9/26/2018 6:02:34 PM 
I posted this earlier, but I wonder if the incidents are actually on the rise or more people feel more comfortable in coming forward to report it.
Back to Top
  
Uncle Wes
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 3,668

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 9/26/2018 11:33:17 PM 
There are the ring leaders like Mark Judge who have got major addiction issues that push a culture to help support it then others are along for the ride or led by bad example. These prep schools are full of kids where the parents have washed their hands of responsibility and the kids are led astray by their peers. Campuses filled with kids from these prep schools bring that culture with them but the real push is from the ring leaders. There is never any targeting of the ring leaders at these parties, only hitting everyone they can at a party with an alcohol violation.


Bobcat Sustainability
2018 Quentin Poling, 7th Round (Miami Dolphins)
2017 Tarell Basham, 3rd Round (Indianapolis Colts)
2017 Blair Brown, 5th Round (Jacksonville Jaguars)
2014 Travis Carrie, 7th Round (Oakland Raiders)
2013 Eric Herman, 7th Round (New York Giants)
2012 LaVon Brazil, 6th Round (Indianapolis Colts)
2010 Taylor Price, 3rd Round (NE Patriots)
2009 Mike Mitchell, 2nd Round (Oakland Raiders)
2008 Landon Cohen, 7th Round (Detroit Lions)

Back to Top
  
DelBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/26/2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,093

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 9/27/2018 10:20:17 AM 
OhioStunter wrote:
I posted this earlier, but I wonder if the incidents are actually on the rise or more people feel more comfortable in coming forward to report it.



From the article:

“My mind immediately thought, 'Wow, I'm so glad people are reporting the sexual assault because I know that they happen every weekend and people just don't report them,'” said Tori Doran, a senior at OU. “Maybe it's not that our campus is getting more unsafe but that we're becoming more aware and more of an activist community.”

I think this person is right. There have always been sexual assaults on college campuses. I know women who were assaulted and never reported it because they didn't want to deal with the backlash that would come with it. I'm glad Ohio University students are leading the charge to make it safer for victims to speak out.


BA OHIO 2010, BS OHIO 2010, MA Delaware 2012

Back to Top
  
OUPride
General User

Member Since: 9/21/2010
Post Count: 330

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 9/27/2018 1:50:39 PM 
Georgetown Prep is not sending us their best people. They're sending us rapists and murderers. These are some bad hombres, folks. Sure, I guess some of them are good people.
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 1,976

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 9/27/2018 3:04:55 PM 
OUPride wrote:
Georgetown Prep is not sending us their best people. They're sending us rapists and murderers. These are some bad hombres, folks. Sure, I guess some of them are good people.


Before this gets shut down by the mods.

Does anyone know who is supplying the "bed sheet banners" shown in the photographs with the posted article.

They're a lot higher quality then the spray painted ones you usually see hanging from fraternity and sorority houses.


Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 861

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/1/2018 12:19:46 PM 
DelBobcat wrote:
OhioStunter wrote:
I posted this earlier, but I wonder if the incidents are actually on the rise or more people feel more comfortable in coming forward to report it.



From the article:

“My mind immediately thought, 'Wow, I'm so glad people are reporting the sexual assault because I know that they happen every weekend and people just don't report them,'” said Tori Doran, a senior at OU. “Maybe it's not that our campus is getting more unsafe but that we're becoming more aware and more of an activist community.”

I think this person is right. There have always been sexual assaults on college campuses. I know women who were assaulted and never reported it because they didn't want to deal with the backlash that would come with it. I'm glad Ohio University students are leading the charge to make it safer for victims to speak out.


I suspect that this is probably correct and that incidents aren't on the rise, but reports are. Obviously that women are empowered to report sexual assaults is a big step forward, but the volume of reports indicates a very serious problem in Athens.

20 sexual assault reports in a single month, on a campus of 20,000 students is very troubling. Especially given that the majority of rapes still go unreported.
Back to Top
  
DelBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/26/2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,093

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/1/2018 2:59:46 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
OUPride wrote:
Georgetown Prep is not sending us their best people. They're sending us rapists and murderers. These are some bad hombres, folks. Sure, I guess some of them are good people.


Before this gets shut down by the mods.

Does anyone know who is supplying the "bed sheet banners" shown in the photographs with the posted article.

They're a lot higher quality then the spray painted ones you usually see hanging from fraternity and sorority houses.


Are you implying that the students didn't make the banners themselves? Or that they are incapable of it? I'm not sure I follow.


BA OHIO 2010, BS OHIO 2010, MA Delaware 2012

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 1,976

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/2/2018 6:29:15 AM 
DelBobcat wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
OUPride wrote:
Georgetown Prep is not sending us their best people. They're sending us rapists and murderers. These are some bad hombres, folks. Sure, I guess some of them are good people.


Before this gets shut down by the mods.

Does anyone know who is supplying the "bed sheet banners" shown in the photographs with the posted article.

They're a lot higher quality then the spray painted ones you usually see hanging from fraternity and sorority houses.


Are you implying that the students didn't make the banners themselves? Or that they are incapable of it? I'm not sure I follow.



Looking at the pictures included with the article you posted,a number of the banners (1,3,4,5,6,7,12,14,17) look like they were pre-printed,especially when compared to the ones in the other pictures.

I didn't imply anything.

I don't think it matters whether the students made them themselves or not.

I was just wondering,if they were in fact they were pre-printed,where they came from.



Last Edited: 10/2/2018 6:29:38 AM by rpbobcat

Back to Top
  
DelBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/26/2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,093

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/3/2018 10:21:15 AM 
rpbobcat wrote:


I don't think it matters whether the students made them themselves or not.

I was just wondering,if they were in fact they were pre-printed,where they came from.




Your two sentences here seem to contradict themselves.

I'm just trying to understand why it matters if the students had them printed or if they drew them with a marker? And if they did have them pre-printed why does it matter what print shop they went to?



BA OHIO 2010, BS OHIO 2010, MA Delaware 2012

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 1,976

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/3/2018 10:50:32 AM 
DelBobcat wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:


I don't think it matters whether the students made them themselves or not.

I was just wondering,if they were in fact they were pre-printed,where they came from.




Your two sentences here seem to contradict themselves.

I'm just trying to understand why it matters if the students had them printed or if they drew them with a marker? And if they did have them pre-printed why does it matter what print shop they went to?




There's no contradiction.

Like I said,I don't care if students made them themselves, or if they were pre-printed.

My question is,if they are pre-printed,were they designed/printed locally,or are the same pre-printed banners being made available to universities and other institutions nationwide ?





Back to Top
  
DelBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/26/2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,093

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/3/2018 12:14:28 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:


My question is,if they are pre-printed,were they designed/printed locally,or are the same pre-printed banners being made available to universities and other institutions nationwide ?



Ah, see that's what I thought you meant, but it's not really what you asked before. It very much seems like this was a local idea, but who knows? Maybe George Soros is behind it.


BA OHIO 2010, BS OHIO 2010, MA Delaware 2012

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 1,976

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/3/2018 12:53:19 PM 
DelBobcat wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:


My question is,if they are pre-printed,were they designed/printed locally,or are the same pre-printed banners being made available to universities and other institutions nationwide ?



Ah, see that's what I thought you meant, but it's not really what you asked before. It very much seems like this was a local idea, but who knows? Maybe George Soros is behind it.


I've been asking the same thing sine my first post.

Are the banners pre-printed.

If they are,where did the come from.

These types of banners seem to be popping up at colleges all over,including
here in northern N.J.

Seems to push coincidence that everyone came up with the same "slogans" and,in some cases,fonts,colors etc independently.

Don't know where you came up with Soros.
Maybe you know something I don't.

I was wondering if an organization like #uck Rape Culture might be spearheading this.







Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 4,972

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/3/2018 2:36:41 PM 
Why does it matter who printed them or where they came from?
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 1,976

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/3/2018 2:51:55 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
Why does it matter who printed them or where they came from?


As I said in my last post,there seems to be a "sameness" (slogans,fonts,colors) in a number of the banners popping up on college campuses,including around here in Northern N.J.

I'm just curious whether,as I said in my post, this is a nationwide effort to bring awareness to this issue being spearheaded by an organization like #uck rape culture.



Back to Top
  
DelBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/26/2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,093

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/4/2018 12:07:13 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
Why does it matter who printed them or where they came from?


As I said in my last post,there seems to be a "sameness" (slogans,fonts,colors) in a number of the banners popping up on college campuses,including around here in Northern N.J.

I'm just curious whether,as I said in my post, this is a nationwide effort to bring awareness to this issue being spearheaded by an organization like #uck rape culture.



Well no organization is mentioned in any of the articles about it so my assumption is that you think this is some kind of secret movement? Because I would imagine that an organization like #uck Rape Culture would be using their platform to bring awareness to it if they were behind it.


BA OHIO 2010, BS OHIO 2010, MA Delaware 2012

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 1,976

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/4/2018 2:30:42 PM 
DelBobcat wrote:


Well no organization is mentioned in any of the articles about it so my assumption is that you think this is some kind of secret movement? Because I would imagine that an organization like #uck Rape Culture would be using their platform to bring awareness to it if they were behind it.



Well,your assumption is incorrect.

"Secret Movement",I said just the opposite.

I wondered if a group like #uck rape culture,hardly a "secret movement", might have taken the initiative to try to promote nationwide awareness of this issue.

The banners in the pictures in the article,are all on Fraternity or Sorority Houses.
My first thought was that this may be being spearheaded by their national organizations.

Like I posted,the fact that there is sameness to a number of the banners that are popping up on college campuses around the country kind of pushes coincidence.

Maybe,students at one school saw pictures of the banners,liked them and decided to copy them.






Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 4,972

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/4/2018 10:48:10 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
DelBobcat wrote:


Well no organization is mentioned in any of the articles about it so my assumption is that you think this is some kind of secret movement? Because I would imagine that an organization like #uck Rape Culture would be using their platform to bring awareness to it if they were behind it.



Well,your assumption is incorrect.

"Secret Movement",I said just the opposite.

I wondered if a group like #uck rape culture,hardly a "secret movement", might have taken the initiative to try to promote nationwide awareness of this issue.

The banners in the pictures in the article,are all on Fraternity or Sorority Houses.
My first thought was that this may be being spearheaded by their national organizations.

Like I posted,the fact that there is sameness to a number of the banners that are popping up on college campuses around the country kind of pushes coincidence.

Maybe,students at one school saw pictures of the banners,liked them and decided to copy them.








So if they did, what does it matter. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks your questioning this is kind of weird.

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 1,976

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/5/2018 6:35:07 AM 
Alan Swank wrote:


So if they did, what does it matter. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks your questioning this is kind of weird.



Alan,you're entitled to your opinion.

My questions boil down to whether this awareness campaign is local or national ?

It would be nice to think some college organization had the initiative to promote awareness of this issue on college campuses nationwide.

If you think wanting to know that is "weird",so be it.



Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 861

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/5/2018 10:02:57 AM 
Here's the Right's new talking point about what professionally made signs indicate: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/10481968834648...

Not saying that's why you're asking, but that's why your intentions are being misinterpreted. Because there are many in your party asking the same question in bad faith.
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 1,976

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/5/2018 11:36:19 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Here's the Right's new talking point about what professionally made signs indicate: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/10481968834648...

Not saying that's why you're asking, but that's why your intentions are being misinterpreted. Because there are many in your party asking the same question in bad faith.


Thanks for the post.

As I said,I was wondering,well,hoping actually,that some college organization had taken the initiative to promote awareness of this issue on college campuses nationwide.


Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 4,972

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/5/2018 12:03:09 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:


So if they did, what does it matter. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks your questioning this is kind of weird.



Alan,you're entitled to your opinion.

My questions boil down to whether this awareness campaign is local or national ?

It would be nice to think some college organization had the initiative to promote awareness of this issue on college campuses nationwide.

If you think wanting to know that is "weird",so be it.





Had you put "hoping" in an earlier post and not just wondering, your posts would not have come off as a bit weird.

Back to Top
  
DelBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/26/2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,093

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/5/2018 2:34:27 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Here's the Right's new talking point about what professionally made signs indicate: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/10481968834648...

Not saying that's why you're asking, but that's why your intentions are being misinterpreted. Because there are many in your party asking the same question in bad faith.


Thanks for the post.

As I said,I was wondering,well,hoping actually,that some college organization had taken the initiative to promote awareness of this issue on college campuses nationwide.




Yea, you didn't actually say that until like your fifth post. You made it sound like you were questioning the intentions and motivations of the students. It's a common tactic on the right today and Trump has embraced it, as BLSS pointed out.


BA OHIO 2010, BS OHIO 2010, MA Delaware 2012

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 1,976

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Sexual assault on campus
   Posted: 10/5/2018 3:17:00 PM 
DelBobcat wrote:


Yea, you didn't actually say that until like your fifth post. You made it sound like you were questioning the intentions and motivations of the students. It's a common tactic on the right today and Trump has embraced it, as BLSS pointed out.



My posts said absolutely nothing about questioning either the intentions or motivations of the students.

Trust me,if that was my intent,it would have been crystal clear to any reader.

I can't help it if you and/or others,"read into" what I posted as something beyond what I actually wrote.

As far as "a common tactic on the right",its a common tactic on both the right and left.






Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 37 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2    Next >
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties