Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services

Topic:  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
Author
Message
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,179

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 10/16/2016 5:31:30 PM 
mf279801 wrote:
Interesting article. Thoughts?

http://www.realclearfuture.com/articles/2016/10/13/how_no...


I liked the Star Trek reference in the article.

I grew up watching the original series on T.V.

I always thought it strange that the entire ship's power ran through "dilithium crystals". Yet they didn't carry spares.

A few years ago my wife and I got to see the original bridge on display at Kings Island.
Was surprised just how cheap it looked in person.
Although it could have won an award for "Most Creative Use Of Cardboard".


Back to Top
  
DelBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/26/2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,129

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 10/18/2016 2:24:03 PM 
This article has it all. Vedder, Athens, transportation, even James Rhodes...

http://www.cincinnati.com/longform/news/2016/10/15/ohio-3... /


BA OHIO 2010, BS OHIO 2010, MA Delaware 2012

Back to Top
  
Ohio69
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,674

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 10/26/2016 9:22:57 AM 
And so the terminator takeover and destruction of all jobs begins. And they threw it in our faces by delivering beer.... Genius....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/26/technology/self-driving...

Last Edited: 10/26/2016 9:23:50 AM by Ohio69


Can somebody hit a pull up jumper for me?.....

Back to Top
  
Brian Smith
General User

Member Since: 2/3/2005
Post Count: 2,482

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 10/26/2016 11:35:01 AM 
Ohio69 wrote:
And so the terminator takeover and destruction of all jobs begins. And they threw it in our faces by delivering beer.... Genius....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/26/technology/self-driving...


Reminds me of The Simpsons where Mr. Burns swindles Homer's union out its dental plan by promising it a keg of beer at its meeting.


Been kicking up sparks/we set the flames free/The windows are locked now so what'll it be?/A house on fire or a rising sea?

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,179

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 10/26/2016 11:57:06 AM 
Brian Smith wrote:
Ohio69 wrote:
And so the terminator takeover and destruction of all jobs begins. And they threw it in our faces by delivering beer.... Genius....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/26/technology/self-driving...


Reminds me of The Simpsons where Mr. Burns swindles Homer's union out its dental plan by promising it a keg of beer at its meeting.



Actually reminded me of the Simpsons episode where Homer takes over for a truck driver who died of "meat poisoning" and finds out tractor trailers can drive themselves.



Back to Top
  
OhioStunter
General User



Member Since: 2/18/2005
Location: Chicago
Post Count: 2,516

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 11/11/2016 6:16:13 PM 
Monroe Slavin wrote:
Do automated systems fall asleep or have endangering habits such as drugs or do they misattention due to cellphone usage?

Although, should power system or other usage-outage break down on any automated systems occur, you could have a problem there.





In which I prove that I have my M.O.




I once had my ESPN Watch app crash during a pivotal play. It was horrible. Imagine if automated car software had a crash during a pivotal intersection. Crash = crash.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 9,998

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 11/12/2016 10:26:09 AM 
OhioStunter wrote:
I once had my ESPN Watch app crash during a pivotal play. It was horrible. Imagine if automated car software had a crash during a pivotal intersection. Crash = crash.


+1. Not to mention a clever turn of phrase.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection.

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,179

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 11/15/2016 6:45:49 AM 
There's an article in the business section of today's (11/15) The Record about Millennials (people born between 1984 and 2004) and car ownership.

According to the article,a study found that,over all,Millennials,unlike a lot of their parents,want the freedom that comes with owning their own vehicle.

The article says that this goes against predictions that they'd gravitate more towards Uber and similar services.

The study was done by Strategic Vision Inc.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,016

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 11/19/2016 11:31:14 AM 
I had the opportunity to spend some time this week on the campus of Google X, who oversees their self-driving car division, and took a ride in one of the newest models. The city of Mountain View limits those cars to non-highway driving, and a max speed of 25 mph, but I was still very impressed by the experience. Once the initial shock wore off, I was struck by just how safe it felt. A lot of the erraticism that's brought on by a human driver is removed; it accelerates perfectly smoothly, breaks at the right pace, comes to full stops at stop signs, etc.

In fact, ironically enough, my colleague and I pulled into the Google lot in a rental car and he, while driving, was messing around with the GPS, and almost hit a driverless vehicle. It would have been completely his fault, too.
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,179

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 12/13/2016 6:56:26 AM 
There have been a series of articles in The Record the past few days on driverless vehicles.

I never knew it,but even testing driverless vehicles,with a technician behind the wheel "just in case" ,requires enabling legislation.
According to the paper,right now less then 12 states and the District of Columbia have this type of legislation in place.

Doesn't look like N.J. will be joining the club.
The Assembly voted for it,the Senate hasn't even introduced a Bill.

Last Edited: 12/13/2016 8:55:03 AM by rpbobcat

Back to Top
  
DelBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/26/2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,129

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/5/2017 9:52:28 AM 
rpbobcat wrote:
There's an article in the business section of today's (11/15) The Record about Millennials (people born between 1984 and 2004) and car ownership.

According to the article,a study found that,over all,Millennials,unlike a lot of their parents,want the freedom that comes with owning their own vehicle.

The article says that this goes against predictions that they'd gravitate more towards Uber and similar services.

The study was done by Strategic Vision Inc.


As a millenial, I don't see it as one or the other. My friends and I all gravitate strongly toward Uber, Lyft, cabs, and public transportation. When it's possible to use it we do. On the other hand, there are some instances where owning a car is very convenient. I can't have an Uber take me down the shore or to visit my parents in Ohio.

I personally don't own a car right now because I live in a very dense neighborhood and it's more convenient not to have one. If I want to go down the shore I hitch a ride with a friend or rent a car. If I was married I would think I'd probably want to have one car between the two of us and I think that's where the trend lies. Not an eschewing of cars overall, just a recognition that many cars per household is no longer necessary.


BA OHIO 2010, BS OHIO 2010, MA Delaware 2012

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,179

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/6/2017 7:27:06 AM 
DelBobcat wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
There's an article in the business section of today's (11/15) The Record about Millennials (people born between 1984 and 2004) and car ownership.

According to the article,a study found that,over all,Millennials,unlike a lot of their parents,want the freedom that comes with owning their own vehicle.

The article says that this goes against predictions that they'd gravitate more towards Uber and similar services.

The study was done by Strategic Vision Inc.


As a millenial, I don't see it as one or the other. My friends and I all gravitate strongly toward Uber, Lyft, cabs, and public transportation. When it's possible to use it we do. On the other hand, there are some instances where owning a car is very convenient. I can't have an Uber take me down the shore or to visit my parents in Ohio.

I personally don't own a car right now because I live in a very dense neighborhood and it's more convenient not to have one. If I want to go down the shore I hitch a ride with a friend or rent a car. If I was married I would think I'd probably want to have one car between the two of us and I think that's where the trend lies. Not an eschewing of cars overall, just a recognition that many cars per household is no longer necessary.


My nephew went to the Philadelphia School Of The Arts,then lived in Philly after he graduated.
During that time he didn't own a car either.
This was pre-Uber, so he relied on public transportation,including taking the train(s) to visit his parents in northern N.J.

Where his parents live, public transportation,except to Manhattan,is pretty much nonexistent,so when he visited he used one of their cars to get around.

The woman who he eventually married worked outside of Philly,so she had a car.
They stayed a one car family till they got a house in Philly's suburbs.
Public transportation out there isn't great either.
Now that they had a child they said they're gonna have to go to 2 cars.
Problem is,the house they bought has no garage or even a driveway.


Last Edited: 1/6/2017 7:58:35 AM by rpbobcat

Back to Top
  
DelBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/26/2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,129

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/6/2017 9:13:23 AM 
rpbobcat wrote:
DelBobcat wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
There's an article in the business section of today's (11/15) The Record about Millennials (people born between 1984 and 2004) and car ownership.

According to the article,a study found that,over all,Millennials,unlike a lot of their parents,want the freedom that comes with owning their own vehicle.

The article says that this goes against predictions that they'd gravitate more towards Uber and similar services.

The study was done by Strategic Vision Inc.


As a millenial, I don't see it as one or the other. My friends and I all gravitate strongly toward Uber, Lyft, cabs, and public transportation. When it's possible to use it we do. On the other hand, there are some instances where owning a car is very convenient. I can't have an Uber take me down the shore or to visit my parents in Ohio.

I personally don't own a car right now because I live in a very dense neighborhood and it's more convenient not to have one. If I want to go down the shore I hitch a ride with a friend or rent a car. If I was married I would think I'd probably want to have one car between the two of us and I think that's where the trend lies. Not an eschewing of cars overall, just a recognition that many cars per household is no longer necessary.


My nephew went to the Philadelphia School Of The Arts,then lived in Philly after he graduated.
During that time he didn't own a car either.
This was pre-Uber, so he relied on public transportation,including taking the train(s) to visit his parents in northern N.J.

Where his parents live, public transportation,except to Manhattan,is pretty much nonexistent,so when he visited he used one of their cars to get around.

The woman who he eventually married worked outside of Philly,so she had a car.
They stayed a one car family till they got a house in Philly's suburbs.
Public transportation out there isn't great either.
Now that they had a child they said they're gonna have to go to 2 cars.
Problem is,the house they bought has no garage or even a driveway.




The Philly burbs are hit and miss. I work in them but luckily in one that is transit-friendly so getting to work from the city is a breeze. If I ever decide to decamp to the burbs I'd be looking at places like Media, Narberth, Jenkintown, or Cheltenham that have great public transit access and an easy train ride to Center City. That way the one-car lifestyle would still work well. If I ended up on the Jersey side I think Collingswood or Haddonfield would be my go-to. I like that I have the option to live in the suburbs and still be well-connected to the city without a car. Not the case at all in Cincinnati.

Decamping to the burbs is not a goal for me though. My colleague lives in South Philly with his wife and two young kids and loves raising a family in the city. That's my goal too. They have one car, parked in a lot a few blocks from their house, but they rarely use it. A couple of times per month at best.

Of course when I retire (many, many moons from now) I'll buy a little house on the near-eastside in Athens and walk to Court Street for breakfast every day. That's the dream.

Last Edited: 1/6/2017 9:16:17 AM by DelBobcat


BA OHIO 2010, BS OHIO 2010, MA Delaware 2012

Back to Top
  
DelBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/26/2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,129

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/6/2017 9:15:31 AM 
double post

Last Edited: 1/6/2017 9:16:01 AM by DelBobcat


BA OHIO 2010, BS OHIO 2010, MA Delaware 2012

Back to Top
  
Brian Smith
General User

Member Since: 2/3/2005
Post Count: 2,482

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/6/2017 1:58:16 PM 
Was listening to Adam Conover's Adam Ruins Everything podcast and was listening to the episode with Donald Shoup of UCLA. It made me think of this thread. His argument is to provide a lot less parking when building new structures, eliminate free parking and then use the meter money directly on the sidewalks and upkeep of the neighborhood. It was really fascinating.

http://www.maximumfun.org/adam-ruins-everything/episode-1...


Been kicking up sparks/we set the flames free/The windows are locked now so what'll it be?/A house on fire or a rising sea?

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 9,998

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/6/2017 3:43:54 PM 
Brian Smith wrote:
Was listening to Adam Conover's Adam Ruins Everything podcast and was listening to the episode with Donald Shoup of UCLA. It made me think of this thread. His argument is to provide a lot less parking when building new structures, eliminate free parking and then use the meter money directly on the sidewalks and upkeep of the neighborhood. It was really fascinating.

http://www.maximumfun.org/adam-ruins-everything/episode-1...


We need him on Athens City Council.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection.

Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: Akron (sleeper agent)
Post Count: 4,621

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/9/2017 5:19:36 PM 
Most of the discussion I've seen on Ford's announcement last week about their $700 million investment in Michigan have been comments arguing who should get credit or arguing it isn't "that many jobs."
Whoever you think is responsible, I think it is more exciting news than most people realize...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-cancels-mexico-plant-ann... /

Quote:
Another vehicle planned for the Flat Rock plant and scheduled to be available by 2021, Ford said, is ďa high-volume autonomous vehicle designed for commercial ride hailing or ride sharing, starting in North America.Ē Itís a sign that Ford is moving into the rapidly crowding autonomous ride-sharing space. Uber, Google and GM are also in various stages of developing self-driving vehicles capable of picking up passengers.


"High-volume autonomous vehicle designed for commercial ride hailing or ride sharing"

They are coming...


I've seen crazier things happen.

Black 41 Flash Reverse

Back to Top
  
OhioStunter
General User



Member Since: 2/18/2005
Location: Chicago
Post Count: 2,516

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/9/2017 7:34:48 PM 
Have any of you tried the self-checkouts at the grocery store? Jeez oh peets. Why can't the sensor tell that I've bagged the item and keep asking me to place the item in the dag durn bag?

And scanning a frozen item? Forget it.

I hope the same sensors are not on these autonomous cars that pick people up.
Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: Akron (sleeper agent)
Post Count: 4,621

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/9/2017 9:47:44 PM 
OhioStunter wrote:
Have any of you tried the self-checkouts at the grocery store? Jeez oh peets. Why can't the sensor tell that I've bagged the item and keep asking me to place the item in the dag durn bag?

And scanning a frozen item? Forget it.

I hope the same sensors are not on these autonomous cars that pick people up.


Speaking of checkouts, look at what is coming soon!

http://www.wincor-nixdorf.com/internet/cae/servlet/conten...

Can't wait!

Last Edited: 1/9/2017 9:53:22 PM by The Optimist


I've seen crazier things happen.

Black 41 Flash Reverse

Back to Top
  
Brian Smith
General User

Member Since: 2/3/2005
Post Count: 2,482

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/10/2017 2:41:44 PM 
I have a problem with that photo McDonald's put out. No one who orders their McDonald's from a robot is getting a salad. The embarrassment of ordering three quarter pounders with cheese, two Filet-O-Fishes, a McFlurry and five apple pies is over at that point.

The old, fatter me is incredibly upset they waited until after I can't eat that crap anymore to invent that shame-filter.

Last Edited: 1/10/2017 2:42:40 PM by Brian Smith


Been kicking up sparks/we set the flames free/The windows are locked now so what'll it be?/A house on fire or a rising sea?

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,179

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/19/2017 6:55:10 AM 
There's an interesting article by Matt O'Brien of the AP concerning the "moral dilemmas" designers face with driverless vehicles.

One concerns "life and death" situations.

Based on studies done by MIT,in a scenario where a vehicle has to choose between plowing into a crowd or sacrificing the vehicle's passenger(s),most people choose to save the crowd.

Problem is,the same people don't want to be in a driverless car that would do that.

MIT also has created a website with a Moral Machine" that lets users decide who lives or dies under various scenarios.

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 9,998

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/19/2017 11:01:09 AM 
rp, this is exactly why I don't want computers making that kind of decision. There are often more than two alternatives in such situations, and the damn machine will not understand such subtleties. For instance, you may have the choice of not running into the crowd directly but only on the edges and therefore potentially taking out only one or two folks on the edge of the crowd and saving the five in the car, with hopes that the two you hit are only glancing blows and not fatal ones with adroit maneuvering. The other option would be five dead in the car with a head-on collision with a semi. I'd much rather have people making these kinds of decision not some robot.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 5,188

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/19/2017 11:50:11 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
rp, this is exactly why I don't want computers making that kind of decision. There are often more than two alternatives in such situations, and the damn machine will not understand such subtleties. For instance, you may have the choice of not running into the crowd directly but only on the edges and therefore potentially taking out only one or two folks on the edge of the crowd and saving the five in the car, with hopes that the two you hit are only glancing blows and not fatal ones with adroit maneuvering. The other option would be five dead in the car with a head-on collision with a semi. I'd much rather have people making these kinds of decision not some robot.


Just curious but does your VCR still flash 12:00?????
Back to Top
  
OUs LONG Driver
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Post Count: 539

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/19/2017 12:13:20 PM 
I agree the life & death situation is something that will be difficult to sort out, however, I think it would be hard to argue that replacing the error prone human may prevent these very scenarios from even happening. If it did happen it would be a tragedy, but it's also a tragedy every time there is an easily preventable crash that also claims lives. I don't know the stats but I'm willing to bet there would be thousands more lives saved due to no human error than lost to a scenario where a herd of people jumps in front of a driverless car with no warning. The software will anticipate issues and avoid them in the most efficient way possible.

I saw a video online a few weeks ago of a Tesla that detected a crash would occur between two cars in front of it and was able to slow down a split second before the car directly in front of it crashed. There's no way a human could have done that. The tech will continue to improve over time and the total # of crashes will decrease as more and more of these systems are in place.

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,179

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Vedder shifts his fire onto parking services
   Posted: 1/19/2017 12:20:44 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
rp, this is exactly why I don't want computers making that kind of decision. There are often more than two alternatives in such situations, and the damn machine will not understand such subtleties. For instance, you may have the choice of not running into the crowd directly but only on the edges and therefore potentially taking out only one or two folks on the edge of the crowd and saving the five in the car, with hopes that the two you hit are only glancing blows and not fatal ones with adroit maneuvering. The other option would be five dead in the car with a head-on collision with a semi. I'd much rather have people making these kinds of decision not some robot.


Just curious but does your VCR still flash 12:00?????


Don't make fun of the old technology.

I have video tapes for the television inspection of sewer lines that go back to the Sony Beta days.
We may need to look at them once every 10 years or more.
If you don't have a working Beta or VCR you can't use them,so we keep one of each in storage.
We also have a guy who can fix them when we have to.

I also have really old B&W reel to reel video tapes,but those we can't view anymore.



Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  126 - 150  of 296 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12    Next >
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties