Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers

Topic:  Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
Author
Message
berniebobcat
General User

Member Since: 11/23/2010
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Post Count: 154

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 10/28/2020 12:35:19 PM 
Seriously?

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2020/10/26/21535207/possible...





Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,209

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 10/28/2020 2:08:42 PM 
I was surpriesed how little they pay comparatively speaking.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 1,485

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 10/29/2020 9:44:50 AM 
Boals would be crazy to leave for Penn State. He will most certainly get a higher job if he can elevate us (and a selling point would be the two grad transfers he could take with him) but Penn State is a no-win situation. I see him more of an AAC coach next like a Bonnie. I wouldn't worry as much either because if he left, I believe Lamar Thornton has shown the recruiting chops. Most recruits mention him when they have their visits.
Back to Top
  
Maddog13
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Post Count: 422

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 11/3/2020 6:33:43 AM 
Hate to stir the pot, but what lesson did Boals take away from the treatment of his mentor, Larry Hunter, who chose to stay at his Alma Mater when things were going good, only to get the axe when the school felt they could do better? In addition, which sports program is going to be in better shape financially once the smoke of the COVID crisis clears?
Back to Top
  
OUVan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Bethesda, MD
Post Count: 5,215

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 11/3/2020 7:09:38 AM 
Maddog13 wrote:
In addition, which sports program is going to be in better shape financially once the smoke of the COVID crisis clears?


He's a heck of a lot more likely to get fired at Penn State than he is Ohio. There are very few worse Power Conference jobs than State College. Ed DeChellis, a Penn State alum, left Penn State to coach the Naval Academy following the season he took the Nittany Lions to NCAA Tournament.
Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 5,009

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 11/3/2020 2:38:54 PM 
I bet Thad Matta would advise him not to take the Penn State job.

This may just be the speculation of one media person, anyway.
Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 1,738

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 11/13/2020 2:38:20 PM 
He's making some pretty good coin here, but if he leaves we find somebody else. It might be a blessing. Then we can pay the next coach something more realistic given out financial reality. 250-300k tops.
Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On US33 between Athens and Madison Co., OH
Post Count: 7,566

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 11/18/2020 11:23:56 AM 
giacomo wrote:
He's making some pretty good coin here, but if he leaves we find somebody else. It might be a blessing. Then we can pay the next coach something more realistic given out financial reality. 250-300k tops.


You can keep pounding that drum all you want, but it's unlikely to happen unless the entire college sports landscape changes to reduce coaching salaries.
Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 1,738

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 11/18/2020 3:19:01 PM 
You say tomato, I say tomahto. Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but higher ed and Ohio University are in somewhat of a financial mess with an uncertain future. We don't make money on athletics and we'll have to deal with that soon enough. Maybe you or some other boosters are picking up the tab.
Back to Top
  
OUVan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Bethesda, MD
Post Count: 5,215

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 11/18/2020 3:47:13 PM 
giacomo wrote:
You say tomato, I say tomahto. Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but higher ed and Ohio University are in somewhat of a financial mess with an uncertain future. We don't make money on athletics and we'll have to deal with that soon enough. Maybe you or some other boosters are picking up the tab.


We don't make money directly from athletics but we do derive considerable revenue because we have athletics. It's part of the selling point of the University as a whole. You try to make it a simple equation and it just isn't. One of the reasons Ohio got my money way back when is because they did have competitive sports programs.

That being said it wouldn't bother me one bit it we de-emphasized athletics. I think we are being pushed aside by the big boys anyway. As long as we are competing in a conference with like-minded schools, no matter what the level I'm going to be watching.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,633

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 11/18/2020 4:33:42 PM 
OUVan wrote:
giacomo wrote:
You say tomato, I say tomahto. Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but higher ed and Ohio University are in somewhat of a financial mess with an uncertain future. We don't make money on athletics and we'll have to deal with that soon enough. Maybe you or some other boosters are picking up the tab.


We don't make money directly from athletics but we do derive considerable revenue because we have athletics. It's part of the selling point of the University as a whole. You try to make it a simple equation and it just isn't. One of the reasons Ohio got my money way back when is because they did have competitive sports programs.

That being said it wouldn't bother me one bit it we de-emphasized athletics. I think we are being pushed aside by the big boys anyway. As long as we are competing in a conference with like-minded schools, no matter what the level I'm going to be watching.


So you are saying if we increase our Athletics spending we will solve the enrollement and budget issues?
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,209

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 11/18/2020 6:21:09 PM 
OUVan wrote:
giacomo wrote:
You say tomato, I say tomahto. Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but higher ed and Ohio University are in somewhat of a financial mess with an uncertain future. We don't make money on athletics and we'll have to deal with that soon enough. Maybe you or some other boosters are picking up the tab.


We don't make money directly from athletics but we do derive considerable revenue because we have athletics. It's part of the selling point of the University as a whole. You try to make it a simple equation and it just isn't. One of the reasons Ohio got my money way back when is because they did have competitive sports programs.

That being said it wouldn't bother me one bit it we de-emphasized athletics. I think we are being pushed aside by the big boys anyway. As long as we are competing in a conference with like-minded schools, no matter what the level I'm going to be watching.


De-emphasize is similar to defund. When people talk about it they do it in black and white terms. Money or no money, police or no police. What rational people are talking about is somewhere between the extremes which I would like to see. And like you, I'll be watching us play in the league/level we end up in.

Back to Top
  
OUVan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Bethesda, MD
Post Count: 5,215

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 11/19/2020 7:05:07 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
OUVan wrote:
giacomo wrote:
You say tomato, I say tomahto. Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but higher ed and Ohio University are in somewhat of a financial mess with an uncertain future. We don't make money on athletics and we'll have to deal with that soon enough. Maybe you or some other boosters are picking up the tab.


We don't make money directly from athletics but we do derive considerable revenue because we have athletics. It's part of the selling point of the University as a whole. You try to make it a simple equation and it just isn't. One of the reasons Ohio got my money way back when is because they did have competitive sports programs.

That being said it wouldn't bother me one bit it we de-emphasized athletics. I think we are being pushed aside by the big boys anyway. As long as we are competing in a conference with like-minded schools, no matter what the level I'm going to be watching.


So you are saying if we increase our Athletics spending we will solve the enrollement and budget issues?


Ummmm, no, not what I said.
Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On US33 between Athens and Madison Co., OH
Post Count: 7,566

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 11/19/2020 9:42:23 AM 
giacomo wrote:
You say tomato, I say tomahto. Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but higher ed and Ohio University are in somewhat of a financial mess with an uncertain future. We don't make money on athletics and we'll have to deal with that soon enough. Maybe you or some other boosters are picking up the tab.


I have been paying attention, and to the extent of the financial mess, I agree. I'm simply saying that until something changes, banging the drum of paying the coaching position HALF of what it has made for 3-4 years isn't reality. The reason I use this tone is that you've been banging said drum for a few years. We don't get to decide what the coach gets paid...well, I don't anyway. I just buy tickets and donate a little to the OBC. My contributions pay for one night at the OU Inn for the coaching staff. ;)
Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 1,738

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Possible Penn State Basketball Coaching Candidates To Replace Pat Chambers
   Posted: 11/19/2020 3:52:14 PM 
The reason we are paying so much for our coach is that there is some belief that if we just get the right guy, he can elevate us to the next level. I think most of us know by now that is not true. It takes a lot more money,
a higher level of scheduling and even switching conferences. That's is why I've been an advocate for paying our coach dean level money, which I think is fair considering we don't make money on the program. If some boosters want to increase that out of their pocket, God bless them. Maybe that is happening now unbeknownst to me.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 15  of 15 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties