Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19

Topic:  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
Author
Message
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,313

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/11/2020 9:24:10 AM 
greencat wrote:
. wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Let's just throw this out there...

While it's important to be safe (and I'm firmly behind the social distancing efforts and think they need to continue to combat Cov-19.), the over-coddling of our immune systems creates a whole new set of issues and makes the human body more susceptible to disease. Just about every vaccine or cure is born of the disease itself. It's how the human body adapts. We need to stop this current pandemic, but a long term solution is not for humanity to stay in a bubble.

Basketball will return. Not as soon as we would all like, but it will return and it will look very similar to the game we currently know.


It’s amazing how studies have shown Amish children are almost completely allergy-free just from being exposed to things most “English” children are not.

As a parent of a 16-month old, the virus really has hampered my plan to have him exposed to a world that isn’t completely sterilized, scrubbed and sanitary. We run the risk of a bubble hypochondriac generation more than ever now.


I went to Berlin Ohio last year during vacation which is in the heart of Amish country and the CVS looked pretty busy. That high school is a powerhouse in girl's basketball (small school division), so does that mean the kids have to be vaccinated to play ball under state high school rules?


No they do not
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,488

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/11/2020 5:50:30 PM 
greencat wrote:
. wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Let's just throw this out there...

While it's important to be safe (and I'm firmly behind the social distancing efforts and think they need to continue to combat Cov-19.), the over-coddling of our immune systems creates a whole new set of issues and makes the human body more susceptible to disease. Just about every vaccine or cure is born of the disease itself. It's how the human body adapts. We need to stop this current pandemic, but a long term solution is not for humanity to stay in a bubble.

Basketball will return. Not as soon as we would all like, but it will return and it will look very similar to the game we currently know.


It’s amazing how studies have shown Amish children are almost completely allergy-free just from being exposed to things most “English” children are not.

As a parent of a 16-month old, the virus really has hampered my plan to have him exposed to a world that isn’t completely sterilized, scrubbed and sanitary. We run the risk of a bubble hypochondriac generation more than ever now.


I went to Berlin Ohio last year during vacation which is in the heart of Amish country and the CVS looked pretty busy. That high school is a powerhouse in girl's basketball (small school division), so does that mean the kids have to be vaccinated to play ball under state high school rules?


The boys program isn't anything to write off either. They don't have a football team so basketball is their #1 and it shows. It's a fabulous story about the late Coach Perry Reese (an African American) bringing his basketball teaching to that Amish town.

They were in our league and kicked our ass regularly. I never beat them. I never even saw one of our teams beat them until well after I had left. I wanna say my high school, which is a pretty good basketball school for small school standards, has probably only beaten them a handful of times in 20-30 years.

The Girls? Hahahaha...my senior year they beat my classmates like 90-15. They're SO good. The most fundamentally sound program I've ever seen.
Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 6,395

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/12/2020 10:11:18 AM 

OUVan wrote:
Just got an email from a tournament organizer that AAU tournaments are starting back up in about a month. No idea what kind of restrictions they'll have on attendance.


My daughter is playing in an AAU Tournament next weekend in Fort Wayne. 1-day tournament, 2-game guarantee, 3-game max. Games are back-to-back to control flow of people. 10 total girls in participation, 4 coaches (to include 1 scorekeeper) and 10 total spectators. Designated seating sections.
 


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,313

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/12/2020 7:30:07 PM 
GoCats105 wrote:
greencat wrote:
. wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Let's just throw this out there...

While it's important to be safe (and I'm firmly behind the social distancing efforts and think they need to continue to combat Cov-19.), the over-coddling of our immune systems creates a whole new set of issues and makes the human body more susceptible to disease. Just about every vaccine or cure is born of the disease itself. It's how the human body adapts. We need to stop this current pandemic, but a long term solution is not for humanity to stay in a bubble.

Basketball will return. Not as soon as we would all like, but it will return and it will look very similar to the game we currently know.


It’s amazing how studies have shown Amish children are almost completely allergy-free just from being exposed to things most “English” children are not.

As a parent of a 16-month old, the virus really has hampered my plan to have him exposed to a world that isn’t completely sterilized, scrubbed and sanitary. We run the risk of a bubble hypochondriac generation more than ever now.


I went to Berlin Ohio last year during vacation which is in the heart of Amish country and the CVS looked pretty busy. That high school is a powerhouse in girl's basketball (small school division), so does that mean the kids have to be vaccinated to play ball under state high school rules?


The boys program isn't anything to write off either. They don't have a football team so basketball is their #1 and it shows. It's a fabulous story about the late Coach Perry Reese (an African American) bringing his basketball teaching to that Amish town.

They were in our league and kicked our ass regularly. I never beat them. I never even saw one of our teams beat them until well after I had left. I wanna say my high school, which is a pretty good basketball school for small school standards, has probably only beaten them a handful of times in 20-30 years.

The Girls? Hahahaha...my senior year they beat my classmates like 90-15. They're SO good. The most fundamentally sound program I've ever seen.


Hiland boys and girls are coached by brothers currently.

The Perry Reese story should be a movie, including the school board member who invited him over for a beer then called the cops to report a drunk driver when Perry left. Perry was a great person an awesome coach, and if you want to watch defense, he instilled it and it lives today in both the boys and girls.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,005

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/12/2020 10:46:23 PM 
Perry entered Muskingum in the fall of 19977 right after I graduated that spring. I'll have to check the Muskie archives to see if he played for the legendary Jim Burson who coached the late Gene Ford, father of Geno and Dustin Ford.
Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 5,521

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/14/2020 1:00:47 AM 
. wrote:
It’s amazing how studies have shown Amish children are almost completely allergy-free just from being exposed to things most “English” children are not.


You need your health to run those puppy mills.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: Akron (sleeper agent)
Post Count: 4,798

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/14/2020 12:07:35 PM 
Ted Thompson wrote:
OUVan wrote:
Just got an email from a tournament organizer that AAU tournaments are starting back up in about a month. No idea what kind of restrictions they'll have on attendance.


My daughter is playing in an AAU Tournament next weekend in Fort Wayne. 1-day tournament, 2-game guarantee, 3-game max. Games are back-to-back to control flow of people. 10 total girls in participation, 4 coaches (to include 1 scorekeeper) and 10 total spectators. Designated seating sections.

How many officials? Or do coaches officiate?


I've seen crazier things happen.

Black 41 Flash Reverse

Back to Top
  
bornacatfan
General User



Member Since: 8/3/2006
Post Count: 5,354

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/14/2020 6:59:30 PM 
Usually Speice uses tournaments to qualify and evaluate officials. D2 and D3 officals earn their stripes in many of those tourneys for GLIAC and similar conferences
.

Last Edited: 6/14/2020 7:00:03 PM by bornacatfan


never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Winter comes and asks how you spent your summer.....

The game loves and rewards those who love and reward the game

Back to Top
  
.
General User

Member Since: 2/3/2005
Post Count: 2,541

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/15/2020 10:23:31 AM 
greencat wrote:
I am sure some of "Anabaptists" in the area "Mennonites" instead of the staunch Amish, yet, many of the girls have those same last names such as Troyer, Yoder, etc that are common to the Amish (+whatever other Anabaptists) in the area who all or most all descended from the same original families who settled there. At least that was how the guide explained it at the Amish and Mennonite Heritage Center, aka - the Behalt Cyclorama.


I grew up in a NW Ohio town founded by Mennonites and a good chunk of the town is still Mennonite, But they’ve changed with the times to a degree you’d never know it. Completely modern lifestyle despite the Sauder, Short, Yoder, etc. last names. Vaccination, cars, internet, etc.

A Mennonite family lived next door to us. They had 10 cars, including a 1930’s roadster.He worked at the Ford dealer working in the garage. It was a wild reality compared to what you think of when you hear Mennonite.

Last Edited: 6/15/2020 10:31:59 AM by .

Back to Top
  
.
General User

Member Since: 2/3/2005
Post Count: 2,541

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/15/2020 10:28:40 AM 
JSF wrote:
. wrote:
It’s amazing how studies have shown Amish children are almost completely allergy-free just from being exposed to things most “English” children are not.


You need your health to run those puppy mills.


Wasn’t making a judgment on the community one way or the other. Just noting there’s much to learn from them in exposing our children to microbes as a form of allergy resistance.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,488

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/15/2020 12:16:17 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
greencat wrote:
. wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Let's just throw this out there...

While it's important to be safe (and I'm firmly behind the social distancing efforts and think they need to continue to combat Cov-19.), the over-coddling of our immune systems creates a whole new set of issues and makes the human body more susceptible to disease. Just about every vaccine or cure is born of the disease itself. It's how the human body adapts. We need to stop this current pandemic, but a long term solution is not for humanity to stay in a bubble.

Basketball will return. Not as soon as we would all like, but it will return and it will look very similar to the game we currently know.


It’s amazing how studies have shown Amish children are almost completely allergy-free just from being exposed to things most “English” children are not.

As a parent of a 16-month old, the virus really has hampered my plan to have him exposed to a world that isn’t completely sterilized, scrubbed and sanitary. We run the risk of a bubble hypochondriac generation more than ever now.


I went to Berlin Ohio last year during vacation which is in the heart of Amish country and the CVS looked pretty busy. That high school is a powerhouse in girl's basketball (small school division), so does that mean the kids have to be vaccinated to play ball under state high school rules?


The boys program isn't anything to write off either. They don't have a football team so basketball is their #1 and it shows. It's a fabulous story about the late Coach Perry Reese (an African American) bringing his basketball teaching to that Amish town.

They were in our league and kicked our ass regularly. I never beat them. I never even saw one of our teams beat them until well after I had left. I wanna say my high school, which is a pretty good basketball school for small school standards, has probably only beaten them a handful of times in 20-30 years.

The Girls? Hahahaha...my senior year they beat my classmates like 90-15. They're SO good. The most fundamentally sound program I've ever seen.


Hiland boys and girls are coached by brothers currently.

The Perry Reese story should be a movie, including the school board member who invited him over for a beer then called the cops to report a drunk driver when Perry left. Perry was a great person an awesome coach, and if you want to watch defense, he instilled it and it lives today in both the boys and girls.


I cant remember which news channel it was, but they did a special on him after he passed. They filmed a portion of it during a game I was playing in when they opened the new gym in Berlin. Fascinating story...

Also the brothers...Schlabach?

---

Fun tidbit about how good they are. Our coach used to tell us "if it says Hiland on the jersey, he can make a three." Didn't matter if the kid hadn't played a minute in his life.

My senior year we're hosting Hiland and down 6 halfway through the 4th. We had just rallied from double digits and the pressure was on them. After a timeout, they're inbounding the ball and some kid who had never even seen the floor that night comes in and buries a corner three off an inbounds play. Lead pushed to 9 and we never recovered.

Last Edited: 6/15/2020 12:20:53 PM by GoCats105

Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 6,395

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/15/2020 2:39:18 PM 

The Optimist wrote:
Ted Thompson wrote:
OUVan wrote:
Just got an email from a tournament organizer that AAU tournaments are starting back up in about a month. No idea what kind of restrictions they'll have on attendance.


My daughter is playing in an AAU Tournament next weekend in Fort Wayne. 1-day tournament, 2-game guarantee, 3-game max. Games are back-to-back to control flow of people. 10 total girls in participation, 4 coaches (to include 1 scorekeeper) and 10 total spectators. Designated seating sections.

How many officials? Or do coaches officiate?


I am assuming 2 referees and that they will wear masks. God help us if coaches start officiating AAU games. They have tweaked the attendance policy a little. Each team is allowed 25 personnel in the building (this includes players, coaches, scorekeeper and spectators) so they are giving each coach 25 wristbands.


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: Akron (sleeper agent)
Post Count: 4,798

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/15/2020 4:23:50 PM 
Ted Thompson wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Ted Thompson wrote:
OUVan wrote:
Just got an email from a tournament organizer that AAU tournaments are starting back up in about a month. No idea what kind of restrictions they'll have on attendance.


My daughter is playing in an AAU Tournament next weekend in Fort Wayne. 1-day tournament, 2-game guarantee, 3-game max. Games are back-to-back to control flow of people. 10 total girls in participation, 4 coaches (to include 1 scorekeeper) and 10 total spectators. Designated seating sections.

How many officials? Or do coaches officiate?


I am assuming 2 referees and that they will wear masks. God help us if coaches start officiating AAU games. They have tweaked the attendance policy a little. Each team is allowed 25 personnel in the building (this includes players, coaches, scorekeeper and spectators) so they are giving each coach 25 wristbands.


I have seen guidelines on baseball umpires wearing masks during the game. I cannot imagine masks in sports where officials are running/blowing whistle, which is why I was wondering. Going to be interesting


I've seen crazier things happen.

Black 41 Flash Reverse

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,313

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/16/2020 6:53:06 AM 
The Optimist wrote:
Ted Thompson wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Ted Thompson wrote:
OUVan wrote:
Just got an email from a tournament organizer that AAU tournaments are starting back up in about a month. No idea what kind of restrictions they'll have on attendance.


My daughter is playing in an AAU Tournament next weekend in Fort Wayne. 1-day tournament, 2-game guarantee, 3-game max. Games are back-to-back to control flow of people. 10 total girls in participation, 4 coaches (to include 1 scorekeeper) and 10 total spectators. Designated seating sections.

How many officials? Or do coaches officiate?


I am assuming 2 referees and that they will wear masks. God help us if coaches start officiating AAU games. They have tweaked the attendance policy a little. Each team is allowed 25 personnel in the building (this includes players, coaches, scorekeeper and spectators) so they are giving each coach 25 wristbands.


I have seen guidelines on baseball umpires wearing masks during the game. I cannot imagine masks in sports where officials are running/blowing whistle, which is why I was wondering. Going to be interesting


Simple solution, if required to wear a mask you use an electronic whistle
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,313

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/16/2020 6:55:29 AM 
GoCats105 wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
greencat wrote:
. wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Let's just throw this out there...

While it's important to be safe (and I'm firmly behind the social distancing efforts and think they need to continue to combat Cov-19.), the over-coddling of our immune systems creates a whole new set of issues and makes the human body more susceptible to disease. Just about every vaccine or cure is born of the disease itself. It's how the human body adapts. We need to stop this current pandemic, but a long term solution is not for humanity to stay in a bubble.

Basketball will return. Not as soon as we would all like, but it will return and it will look very similar to the game we currently know.


It’s amazing how studies have shown Amish children are almost completely allergy-free just from being exposed to things most “English” children are not.

As a parent of a 16-month old, the virus really has hampered my plan to have him exposed to a world that isn’t completely sterilized, scrubbed and sanitary. We run the risk of a bubble hypochondriac generation more than ever now.


I went to Berlin Ohio last year during vacation which is in the heart of Amish country and the CVS looked pretty busy. That high school is a powerhouse in girl's basketball (small school division), so does that mean the kids have to be vaccinated to play ball under state high school rules?


The boys program isn't anything to write off either. They don't have a football team so basketball is their #1 and it shows. It's a fabulous story about the late Coach Perry Reese (an African American) bringing his basketball teaching to that Amish town.

They were in our league and kicked our ass regularly. I never beat them. I never even saw one of our teams beat them until well after I had left. I wanna say my high school, which is a pretty good basketball school for small school standards, has probably only beaten them a handful of times in 20-30 years.

The Girls? Hahahaha...my senior year they beat my classmates like 90-15. They're SO good. The most fundamentally sound program I've ever seen.


Hiland boys and girls are coached by brothers currently.

The Perry Reese story should be a movie, including the school board member who invited him over for a beer then called the cops to report a drunk driver when Perry left. Perry was a great person an awesome coach, and if you want to watch defense, he instilled it and it lives today in both the boys and girls.


I cant remember which news channel it was, but they did a special on him after he passed. They filmed a portion of it during a game I was playing in when they opened the new gym in Berlin. Fascinating story...

Also the brothers...Schlabach?

---

Fun tidbit about how good they are. Our coach used to tell us "if it says Hiland on the jersey, he can make a three." Didn't matter if the kid hadn't played a minute in his life.

My senior year we're hosting Hiland and down 6 halfway through the 4th. We had just rallied from double digits and the pressure was on them. After a timeout, they're inbounding the ball and some kid who had never even seen the floor that night comes in and buries a corner three off an inbounds play. Lead pushed to 9 and we never recovered.


Yes on the brothers
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,005

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/16/2020 11:36:47 AM 
In chance Dave Mast is Carolyn's dad?

https://hawkhoops.com/archives/reese/perryreesemoviegetsn...

And talk about dominance:

https://hawkhoops.com/schedule.html

Last Edited: 6/16/2020 1:47:59 PM by Alan Swank

Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: Akron (sleeper agent)
Post Count: 4,798

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/18/2020 12:11:43 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Ted Thompson wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Ted Thompson wrote:
OUVan wrote:
Just got an email from a tournament organizer that AAU tournaments are starting back up in about a month. No idea what kind of restrictions they'll have on attendance.


My daughter is playing in an AAU Tournament next weekend in Fort Wayne. 1-day tournament, 2-game guarantee, 3-game max. Games are back-to-back to control flow of people. 10 total girls in participation, 4 coaches (to include 1 scorekeeper) and 10 total spectators. Designated seating sections.

How many officials? Or do coaches officiate?


I am assuming 2 referees and that they will wear masks. God help us if coaches start officiating AAU games. They have tweaked the attendance policy a little. Each team is allowed 25 personnel in the building (this includes players, coaches, scorekeeper and spectators) so they are giving each coach 25 wristbands.


I have seen guidelines on baseball umpires wearing masks during the game. I cannot imagine masks in sports where officials are running/blowing whistle, which is why I was wondering. Going to be interesting


Simple solution, if required to wear a mask you use an electronic whistle


That is a good common-sense approach, and I saw it being discussed in hockey. Could be implemented at some levels... However, at a certain level of play I think even if you set aside the whistle issue the job is physically demanding enough that the amount the mask inhibits your ability to breath is going to be an issue for referees. A lot of referees struggle to run with the players even without the mask...

Last Edited: 6/18/2020 12:17:56 PM by The Optimist


I've seen crazier things happen.

Black 41 Flash Reverse

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,681

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/18/2020 1:00:11 PM 
The Optimist wrote:


I have seen guidelines on baseball umpires wearing masks during the game. I cannot imagine masks in sports where officials are running/blowing whistle, which is why I was wondering. Going to be interesting

Simple solution, if required to wear a mask you use an electronic whistle

That is a good common-sense approach, and I saw it being discussed in hockey. Could be implemented at some levels... However, at a certain level of play I think even if you set aside the whistle issue the job is physically demanding enough that the amount the mask inhibits your ability to breath is going to be an issue for referees. A lot of referees struggle to run with the players even without the mask...


Years ago they came out with a mask that simulated high altitude training, by
restricting air flow when you ran.

Did a quick google search.

They still make them.

Don't look much different then some of the covid masks they are selling now.

I have enough trouble breathing thru a mask,waling in an air conditioned store.

Can't imagine running in one.



Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,313

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/18/2020 1:39:51 PM 
The Optimist wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Ted Thompson wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Ted Thompson wrote:
OUVan wrote:
Just got an email from a tournament organizer that AAU tournaments are starting back up in about a month. No idea what kind of restrictions they'll have on attendance.


My daughter is playing in an AAU Tournament next weekend in Fort Wayne. 1-day tournament, 2-game guarantee, 3-game max. Games are back-to-back to control flow of people. 10 total girls in participation, 4 coaches (to include 1 scorekeeper) and 10 total spectators. Designated seating sections.

How many officials? Or do coaches officiate?


I am assuming 2 referees and that they will wear masks. God help us if coaches start officiating AAU games. They have tweaked the attendance policy a little. Each team is allowed 25 personnel in the building (this includes players, coaches, scorekeeper and spectators) so they are giving each coach 25 wristbands.


I have seen guidelines on baseball umpires wearing masks during the game. I cannot imagine masks in sports where officials are running/blowing whistle, which is why I was wondering. Going to be interesting


Simple solution, if required to wear a mask you use an electronic whistle


That is a good common-sense approach, and I saw it being discussed in hockey. Could be implemented at some levels... However, at a certain level of play I think even if you set aside the whistle issue the job is physically demanding enough that the amount the mask inhibits your ability to breath is going to be an issue for referees. A lot of referees struggle to run with the players even without the mask...


Not something I would worry about personally, high level officials will still officiate at a high level.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,539

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/18/2020 2:32:24 PM 
I wonder if they'd ever consider having more officials work the games, and rather than having them run with play, just positioning an official in each of the key spots.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,313

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/18/2020 3:52:06 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I wonder if they'd ever consider having more officials work the games, and rather than having them run with play, just positioning an official in each of the key spots.


Short answer is NO
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 1,539

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/19/2020 8:12:38 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I wonder if they'd ever consider having more officials work the games, and rather than having them run with play, just positioning an official in each of the key spots.


Short answer is NO


Why? Is somebody super into watching referees run around or something? A 3 man officiating crew basically has three positions. Make it a 6 man officiating crew, and you solve the running problem with masks.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,313

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/19/2020 10:40:36 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I wonder if they'd ever consider having more officials work the games, and rather than having them run with play, just positioning an official in each of the key spots.


Short answer is NO


Why? Is somebody super into watching referees run around or something? A 3 man officiating crew basically has three positions. Make it a 6 man officiating crew, and you solve the running problem with masks.


Why NO? Because it’s NOT being discussed. Your comment or question was “I wonder if they’d consider having more officials work the games”. I simply answered the short answer to that is NO. 1. Schools would have to aregee to the 100% increase in cost, and that’s not happening. 2. The officiating community does not have enough quality to double the numbers.

You asked if they e thought about it and I’m telling you that is a NON starter.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,950

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/20/2020 7:39:33 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
2. The officiating community does not have enough quality to double the numbers.


I can't speak of the quality of officials (I'll leave that to BTC). But I know the quantity of officials is definitely lacking and can not support doubling the # of officials per contest.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 6,313

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The problem with basketball and Covid 19
   Posted: 6/20/2020 7:41:30 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
2. The officiating community does not have enough quality to double the numbers.


I can't speak of the quality of officials (I'll leave that to BTC). But I know the quantity of officials is definitely lacking and can not support doubling the # of officials per contest.


Correct, should amend that comment to: “not enough quality or quantity to double”
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 50  of 56 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2020 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties