Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  The AD hire

Topic:  The AD hire
Author
Message
Bobcat61
General User

Member Since: 5/24/2005
Post Count: 183

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  The AD hire
   Posted: 8/10/2019 11:03:25 AM 
Great job by the interview group
The release from them has 25 printed lines
4 lines give us the name and some very limited info on the candidate

21 lines tell us what we already know about Bobcat U- what a great job the committee is/ has done- what a great university it is and that Amy Dean is doing

If they donít hire Jason Grooms- hire Amy and let her clean up the mess that was left behind

Anchor Down with a former Bobcat or hire a Bobcat

Think Green, Think Bobcat Green!
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,265

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/10/2019 5:16:32 PM 
Bobcat61 wrote:
Great job by the interview group
The release from them has 25 printed lines
4 lines give us the name and some very limited info on the candidate

21 lines tell us what we already know about Bobcat U- what a great job the committee is/ has done- what a great university it is and that Amy Dean is doing

If they donít hire Jason Grooms- hire Amy and let her clean up the mess that was left behind

Anchor Down with a former Bobcat or hire a Bobcat

Think Green, Think Bobcat Green!


Help us out here. What release are you talking about?

Back to Top
  
Bobcat61
General User

Member Since: 5/24/2005
Post Count: 183

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/11/2019 12:07:45 AM 
Sent to Bobcat Club members Or members of the Trusteeís Academy
Not sure how/ why I got it
Cannot be because I was so close to our glad u r gone AD
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/11/2019 12:48:22 PM 
Those releases are ridiculous. Self aggrandizing on behalf of committee members, very little information on the candidates.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,265

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/11/2019 2:47:50 PM 
SBH wrote:
Those releases are ridiculous. Self aggrandizing on behalf of committee members, very little information on the candidates.


Can you post a link to the releases. The only one I could find was on COMPASS and it talked about the "front porch."

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/11/2019 7:25:25 PM 
There are four that follow the same format. Here's one.


https://www.ohio.edu/compass/stories/19-20/08/fourth-fina...
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 5,326

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/11/2019 8:36:14 PM 
Bobcat61 wrote:


If they donít hire Jason Grooms- hire Amy and let her clean up the mess that was left behind

Anchor Down with a former Bobcat or hire a Bobcat

Think Green, Think Bobcat Green!


How hard is it to understand by some that the new AD will NOT be Amy Dean. Primarily because she did not apply, nor express interest. So that ship will not sail.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,663

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/11/2019 8:41:08 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
So that ship will not sail.


Should it be "that ship has sailed"?

Kinda like "on the wagon" or "off the wagon" for the newly sober character on Seinfeld.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 5,326

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/11/2019 8:50:24 PM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
So that ship will not sail.


Should it be "that ship has sailed"?

Kinda like "on the wagon" or "off the wagon" for the newly sober character on Seinfeld.


Nope, because that ship never even left the dry dock. For it to have sailed, would employ the University missed their opportunity. However there is no opportunity, seeing how she is not a candidate and expressed her desire not to be one. Hence, that ship wonít sail. She will remain in her current role and continue to be an asset.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,265

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/12/2019 7:51:28 AM 
SBH wrote:
There are four that follow the same format. Here's one.


https://www.ohio.edu/compass/stories/19-20/08/fourth-fina...


I read that one too and almost threw up my cheerioes. The boilerplate language is annoying at best and the fake OHIO everywhere feels like someone is forcing castor oil down your throat. High paid and out of touch at the top. They ought to be spending more time on figuring out the root causes of continued declining enrollment and it isn't just fewer kids graduating from Ohio high schools.

Last Edited: 8/12/2019 7:52:25 AM by Alan Swank

Back to Top
  
OUcats82
General User



Member Since: 1/9/2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,509

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/12/2019 8:26:58 AM 
Alan Swank wrote:
SBH wrote:
There are four that follow the same format. Here's one.


https://www.ohio.edu/compass/stories/19-20/08/fourth-fina...


I read that one too and almost threw up my cheerioes. The boilerplate language is annoying at best and the fake OHIO everywhere feels like someone is forcing castor oil down your throat. High paid and out of touch at the top. They ought to be spending more time on figuring out the root causes of continued declining enrollment and it isn't just fewer kids graduating from Ohio high schools.



On top of that, and maybe I am nitpicking here, but did the overall appearance of that release and the website in general look really outdated?


Ohio-The State University

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,265

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/12/2019 8:58:28 AM 
OUcats82 wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
SBH wrote:
There are four that follow the same format. Here's one.


https://www.ohio.edu/compass/stories/19-20/08/fourth-fina...


I read that one too and almost threw up my cheerioes. The boilerplate language is annoying at best and the fake OHIO everywhere feels like someone is forcing castor oil down your throat. High paid and out of touch at the top. They ought to be spending more time on figuring out the root causes of continued declining enrollment and it isn't just fewer kids graduating from Ohio high schools.



On top of that, and maybe I am nitpicking here, but did the overall appearance of that release and the website in general look really outdated?


Very copy heavy. It looks like an academic journal.

Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 2,808

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/12/2019 10:13:54 AM 
From search committee Co-Chairs Nico Karagosian in the article

"Athletics is the front porch of any university and the new athletics director will play an integral role as we work to build our community.Ē

think maybe they googled "athletic department cliches"

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geKepqdFFdYQ4AKRZX...

Back to Top
  
ytownbobcat
General User

Member Since: 8/7/2006
Post Count: 1,054

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/12/2019 10:39:02 AM 
There are two pivotal points to this hire.I think all are probably qualified since they made it as finalists. Therefore I think Whoever is the best fundraiser and who offers the best case for diversity will be chosen.
I think it will be one of the women and I bet on the OSU candidate who is an alum and probably is well connected to deep pockets regionally.
I guess we will find out soon.
BTW I really like Jason Grooms.Not sure of his record regarding fundraising.
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,286

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/12/2019 12:19:12 PM 
cc-cat wrote:
From search committee Co-Chairs Nico Karagosian in the article

"Athletics is the front porch of any university and the new athletics director will play an integral role as we work to build our community.Ē

think maybe they googled "athletic department cliches"

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geKepqdFFdYQ4AKRZX...



If I remember correctly,didn't President Nellis make a similar comment ?


Back to Top
  
OUcats82
General User



Member Since: 1/9/2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,509

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/12/2019 12:41:36 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
cc-cat wrote:
From search committee Co-Chairs Nico Karagosian in the article

"Athletics is the front porch of any university and the new athletics director will play an integral role as we work to build our community.Ē

think maybe they googled "athletic department cliches"

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geKepqdFFdYQ4AKRZX...



If I remember correctly,didn't President Nellis make a similar comment ?




Was just about to type the exact same comment.


Ohio-The State University

Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 4,731

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/12/2019 1:50:51 PM 
If they don't use boilerplate language, what language should they use at this point in the search process?
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,167

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/12/2019 2:12:25 PM 
Well, for starters, you don't write a lede in which so-and-so is going to announce something, then follow up with three paragraphs reinforcing how proud so-and-so is to be making said announcement. The actual announcement - the name of the candidate - doesn't appear until paragraph 4. Whoever wrote it - surely not a member of the university's media relations staff - is all about self promotion rather than actually delivering value to the reader. All four releases follow the same template. Amateurish at best.




Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,204

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/12/2019 6:00:36 PM 
SBH wrote:
Well, for starters, you don't write a lede in which so-and-so is going to announce something, then follow up with three paragraphs reinforcing how proud so-and-so is to be making said announcement. The actual announcement - the name of the candidate - doesn't appear until paragraph 4. Whoever wrote it - surely not a member of the university's media relations staff - is all about self promotion rather than actually delivering value to the reader. All four releases follow the same template. Amateurish at best.






At the very least include all 4 names in the only release needed at this point.
Back to Top
  
mcbin
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: columbus, OH
Post Count: 944

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/14/2019 11:42:51 AM 
colobobcat66 wrote:


At the very least include all 4 names in the only release needed at this point.


Anyone think we're potentially missing out on the best candidates because of how public this search has been?

Lot of sitting ADs probably don't want their name out there the way we're advertising the candidates, and maybe that's why we don't have any current AD candidates.

Nothing at all against these 4 candidates, and I hope we get the best for Ohio, but I'm surprised as one of just 120-some FBS schools, we don't have a current AD in the running.


I'm raising money for cancer research. Help me here: https://www.pelotonia.org/bigbenshoe

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 5,265

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/14/2019 12:10:03 PM 
mcbin wrote:
colobobcat66 wrote:


At the very least include all 4 names in the only release needed at this point.


Anyone think we're potentially missing out on the best candidates because of how public this search has been?

Lot of sitting ADs probably don't want their name out there the way we're advertising the candidates, and maybe that's why we don't have any current AD candidates.

Nothing at all against these 4 candidates, and I hope we get the best for Ohio, but I'm surprised as one of just 120-some FBS schools, we don't have a current AD in the running.


Very interesting point Ben. In the last search, none of the names were announced - just the choice - Schaus. Not sure why this search was conducted in a different manner.

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 2,286

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/14/2019 3:48:19 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
mcbin wrote:
colobobcat66 wrote:


At the very least include all 4 names in the only release needed at this point.


Anyone think we're potentially missing out on the best candidates because of how public this search has been?

Lot of sitting ADs probably don't want their name out there the way we're advertising the candidates, and maybe that's why we don't have any current AD candidates.

Nothing at all against these 4 candidates, and I hope we get the best for Ohio, but I'm surprised as one of just 120-some FBS schools, we don't have a current AD in the running.


Very interesting point Ben. In the last search, none of the names were announced - just the choice - Schaus. Not sure why this search was conducted in a different manner.


O.U. is public university,so I don't know if it may have something to do with "public information" rules.

Back to Top
  
Kinggeorge4
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Guysville, OH
Post Count: 732

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/15/2019 10:03:14 AM 
Cromer it is.


GO BOBCATS
GEORGE

Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Austin, TX
Post Count: 5,198

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/15/2019 10:19:32 AM 
https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/support-staff/julie-cromer... /



Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 2,994

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: The AD hire
   Posted: 8/15/2019 10:21:14 AM 
I'm good with that. I'm sure there will be complaining from some that it wasn't Grooms, but I couldn't bring myself to the belief that he is ready.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 130 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties