Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  Feasible to be an assistant coach at the D1 Level w/ no collegiate playing experience?

Topic:  Feasible to be an assistant coach at the D1 Level w/ no collegiate playing experience?
Author
General User

Member Since: 4/8/2019

Message Not Read  Feasible to be an assistant coach at the D1 Level w/ no collegiate playing experience?
   Posted: 4/8/2019 8:14:13 AM 
I'm big into basketball and would love to get into coaching as a full-time thing. I coached high school basketball for a year, and now I'm a volunteer assistant women's basketball coach at a local d3 university (just finished year 1) - to go along as my paid job as a strength and conditioning/performance coach at a local facility.

Been applying to local d1-mens schools (knowing I don't really have a chance, especially at 25 years old), but I say to myself it doesn't hurt to try and apply. But after researching assistant coaches at the d1 level, they all pretty much had college experience which basically sets them apart from the rest.

My question is, do I have a realistic chance of becoming an assistant coach without any prior collegiate playing experience? I played all 4 years of high school and played in the AAU circuit - but didn't get the opportunity to play collegiate basketball.

Anyone with collegiate experience as a player or coach have any advice or words of wisdom you can share? I already feel like I'm behind in the process because I didn't go the route as a GA. I only have my bachelors in Exercise Science.https://solitaire.onl / https://9apps.ooo https://bluestacks.vip /

Last Edited: 4/9/2019 2:58:12 PM by HenryBraxton

bornacatfan
General User

Member Since: 8/3/2006

Message Not Read  RE: Feasible to be an assistant coach at the D1 Level w/ no collegiate playing experience?
   Posted: 4/8/2019 9:05:26 AM 
HenryBraxton wrote:
I'm big into basketball and would love to get into coaching as a full-time thing. I coached high school basketball for a year, and now I'm a volunteer assistant women's basketball coach at a local d3 university (just finished year 1) - to go along as my paid job as a strength and conditioning/performance coach at a local facility.

Been applying to local d1-mens schools (knowing I don't really have a chance, especially at 25 years old), but I say to myself it doesn't hurt to try and apply. But after researching assistant coaches at the d1 level, they all pretty much had college experience which basically sets them apart from the rest.

My question is, do I have a realistic chance of becoming an assistant coach without any prior collegiate playing experience? I played all 4 years of high school and played in the AAU circuit - but didn't get the opportunity to play collegiate basketball.

Anyone with collegiate experience as a player or coach have any advice or words of wisdom you can share? I already feel like I'm behind in the process because I didn't go the route as a GA. I only have my bachelors in Exercise Science.

THere are hundreds of coaches without prior playing experience. THere are many who have risen from managers to college coaches. It is a long road for a coach to rise to D1. You are on the right path starting at a D3 level and seeing success. Learning the ropes encompasses a ton of things. How do you move a team, how do you write a practice, how do you plan a trip, how do you recruit, where do the meals come from, who gets the busses....and that is before you even start talking about offensive /defensive identities and the personnel you need to fit your program. Most of those guys wanting to be assistants start at the bottom as a video co ordinator or menial stuff eventually ascending to DOBO and similar way before they can be an assistant coach. It is a long hard road over many years. There are guys who are able to circumvent the process or turn up in the right place at the right time but they are few and far between. Chris Beard is an unusual story but he has paid his dues over the years. Tony Bennet was born into it....as a current coach told my son...."I'd hate to be getting into it now as things are not just about your ability to recruit and coach....there is a ton of background and being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people" as he questioned his desire in pursuing a coaching career. If you are totally into it and love the game....go for it with the understanding that there are only 350ish D1 school and they only need 1 head and 3 assts. There are a whole lot of guys that love the game that want those spots ....and even more that have other motivations that see those spots as desirable for much different reasons.

never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Winter comes and asks how you spent your summer.....

The game loves and rewards those who love and reward the game

Andrew Ruck
General User

Member Since: 12/22/2004

Message Not Read  RE: Feasible to be an assistant coach at the D1 Level w/ no collegiate playing experience?
   Posted: 4/8/2019 9:43:36 AM 
Aaron Fuss never played college and seems to be in the process of putting together a great coaching career.

Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

shabamon
General User

Member Since: 11/17/2006

Posted: 4/8/2019 10:15:35 AM 
I would think who you know plays an enormous role right now. Of those that didn't play that have those jobs, many were team managers for D1 teams during undergrad who made it clear to the coaching staff their goals after graduation. Not to discourage, but that appears to be a clear disadvantage you have.

Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004

Posted: 4/8/2019 10:48:03 AM 
HenryBraxton wrote:

Anyone with collegiate experience as a player or coach have any advice or words of wisdom you can share? I already feel like I'm behind in the process because I didn't go the route as a GA. I only have my bachelors in Exercise Science.

The grad assistant route might be the way to go if you can afford it. Over 350 D 1 programs out there with many having one or two grad assistants.

UpSan Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 8/30/2005

Posted: 4/8/2019 10:57:44 AM 
ESPN ranked the playing careers of all 68 coaches in the NCAA Tournament a while back. There were two who didn't even play varsity high school basketball. Nine other coaches didn't play in college, so that makes 11 of 68 who did not play college basketball.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26...

Brian Smith
General User

Member Since: 2/3/2005

Posted: 4/9/2019 3:16:27 PM 
It's amazing the weird paths you can take to get anywhere. Was listening to Amin Elhassan on a podcast talk about his route from the Sudan to an engineering major at Georgia Tech to a guy hawking tickets in a mall for the Atlanta Hawks to a front office job.

But I'd have to imagine you have a better shot at getting into an organization from that end without playing experience than on the coaching end. Seems like you have to start at an extremely young age and have the right mentors to do that. Like an Eric Mangini situation in football.

Last Edited: 4/9/2019 3:17:40 PM by Brian Smith

Been kicking up sparks/we set the flames free/The windows are locked now so what'll it be?/A house on fire or a rising sea?

Smith
General User

Member Since: 7/29/2019

Posted: 7/29/2019 6:34:06 AM 
I would suggest the GA route still or jump on with a strong AAU team. Even volunteer if you have to with the AAU. Coaches don't necessarily need coaching out of you....they need contacts and networks for recruits. Also seems like some programs dont have analytic staffs.... maybe dive into that as well and become solid in that area to see if you can fill a niche that the program doesnt have. If I had to rank my advice.... https://9appsapk.com https://vidmate.vin https://apk9apps.com

GA

Analytics

Last Edited: 7/30/2019 7:50:47 PM by Smith

OUVan
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004

Posted: 7/30/2019 1:15:29 PM 
HenryBraxton wrote:
But after researching assistant coaches at the d1 level, they all pretty much had college experience which basically sets them apart from the rest.

I think what sets them apart is their contacts they made while playing. Coaches hire people they are familiar with or come with recommendations from people they respect. I'll be shocked if anyone was ever hired as an assistant coach strictly off of a resume. I would suggest do a lot of networking and work as many situations as you can (camps, AAU teams, etc.).

And be prepared to be poor for a while.

Bobcat61
General User

Member Since: 5/24/2005

Posted: 7/30/2019 9:58:03 PM 
Go to hoopdirt.com
Job opening are on this site

Showing Replies:  1 - 10  of 10 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics

Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties