Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Carter to Transfer?

Topic:  RE: Carter to Transfer?
Author
Message
Pete Chouteau
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2004
Location: The Driver's Seat
Post Count: 1,460

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 12:50:06 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
But what if he doesn't go to a Power 5 and goes to another MAC school? That would be the nightmare scenario.


Grunkemeyer 2.0?


No comparison. The player who shall not be named beat the coach that brought him to Ohio, not the coach that replaced the coach that brought him to Ohio.
Back to Top
  
A-townBound
General User



Member Since: 3/31/2012
Location: Georgetown, KY
Post Count: 586

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 1:36:24 PM 
LuckySparrow wrote:
I bet he's set to graduate early but who knows. he stays.


Arkley mentioned he is not scheduled to graduate early - at least not by May.


Bleed Green and GO OHIO!!

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 11,063

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 2:19:22 PM 
Pete Chouteau wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
But what if he doesn't go to a Power 5 and goes to another MAC school? That would be the nightmare scenario.


Grunkemeyer 2.0?


No comparison. The player who shall not be named beat the coach that brought him to Ohio, not the coach that replaced the coach that brought him to Ohio.


Understand your reasoning, but if he went to the school not to be named in public and then was a key factor in defeating OHIO in a crucial game, the comparisons would be made on this board, I'm sure of that, logic notwithstanding.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 1,933

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 2:36:00 PM 
I thought I read a while back he had sort of a family connection to Ohio, and that meant a lot to him. Am I misremembering? Or did that care and feels stuff fly town when Saul wasn't renewed?
Back to Top
  
Cbus Convo
General User

Member Since: 3/14/2007
Location: Upper Arlington, OH
Post Count: 75

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 2:50:42 PM 
Id prefer that he stay as hes got a great deal of talent and believe that Coach Boals can extract even more value from the young man. However, the facts are what they are and we finished last in the East with him and will not do any worse without him.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 11,063

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 2:55:29 PM 
100%Cat wrote:
I thought I read a while back he had sort of a family connection to Ohio, and that meant a lot to him. Am I misremembering? Or did that care and feels stuff fly town when Saul wasn't renewed?


Yes, I heard that too. I believe his parents graduated from OHIO, and maybe his grandparents. I believe I heard that on an the ESPN+ broadcasts of one of our games late in the season. I believe I heard it at one point earlier, also.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,348

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 3:24:51 PM 
Uncle went to Ohio. Maybe played basketball, but not sure.
Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,451

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 3:34:03 PM 
Cbus Convo wrote:
Id prefer that he stay as hes got a great deal of talent and believe that Coach Boals can extract even more value from the young man. However, the facts are what they are and we finished last in the East with him and will not do any worse without him.


Oh, it could get a lot worse than 14 wins. Got to get some new players and keep guys like Jason.
Back to Top
  
Recovering Journalist
General User

Member Since: 8/17/2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Post Count: 1,570

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 4:10:22 PM 
Some more nice work from the Post here, with talk of the Carter-Saul bond toward the end.

https://www.thepostathens.com/article/2019/03/saul-philli...
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,620

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 4:40:58 PM 
Once again a student journalist outperforms Jason Snarkley.

Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,280

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 6:31:03 PM 
Recovering Journalist wrote:
Some more nice work from the Post here, with talk of the Carter-Saul bond toward the end.

https://www.thepostathens.com/article/2019/03/saul-philli...


Jason Snarkley could really learn a thing or two from this student writer. Extremely well written that summed up the Saul era perfectly and why he's no longer here.

Last Edited: 3/21/2019 6:31:26 PM by FearLeon


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
Obc2
General User

Member Since: 11/8/2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 531

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 7:20:24 PM 
I'm going to root for JC wherever he plays. I remember Saul saying he was very much looking forward to Jason's Sr season at Ohio.

i hope to see it also. but if not, no hard feelings.
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,510

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 8:05:08 PM 
I am wondering if Carter is keeping a close eye on where Saul lands his next job. Plausible that he follows him.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
DJCooperBurnerAccount
General User

Member Since: 2/4/2019
Post Count: 101

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 10:17:39 PM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
I am wondering if Carter is keeping a close eye on where Saul lands his next job. Plausible that he follows him.


I thought the same. It would be odd if he goes back west, with Carter being from Johnstown.. but the idea of Carter leaving is very odd so it's tough to rule anything out.
Back to Top
  
mid70sbobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 409

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/21/2019 11:15:46 PM 
FearLeon wrote:
Recovering Journalist wrote:
Some more nice work from the Post here, with talk of the Carter-Saul bond toward the end.

https://www.thepostathens.com/article/2019/03/saul-philli...


Jason Snarkley could really learn a thing or two from this student writer. Extremely well written that summed up the Saul era perfectly and why he's no longer here.


I'm assuming you do NOT have a degree in Journalism. Rather, just another snarky and uninformed comment? THINK before you post such drivel.

Back to Top
  
Broomball @ Midnight!
General User

Member Since: 4/3/2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Post Count: 84

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/22/2019 12:28:25 AM 
Do you? If so, you'd know better.

The Post is crushing it, and the Messenger is dying along with its subscriber base.

Drivel... HA!


You just got lesson number one: don't think; it can only hurt the ball club. - Crash Davis (1988)

BS Ohio '88 - MA Florida '92 - PhD Florida '10

Back to Top
  
catfan28
General User

Member Since: 6/11/2011
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 1,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/22/2019 12:34:42 AM 
I don't fault Carter one bit if he leaves. It's evident that there was a strong bond between him and Saul, as I'm sure there was with many of the other players. If Saul lands another job, I could certainly see Carter following him.

Boals will have a rebuild on his hands, regardless. I'm sure Carter won't be the only one to leave. Expectations for next year shouldn't be that high, unless Boals kills it on the recruiting trail. This will be a process.
Back to Top
  
Broomball @ Midnight!
General User

Member Since: 4/3/2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Post Count: 84

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/22/2019 12:42:51 AM 
Boals inherited a build, not a rebuild. Thanks Saul!


You just got lesson number one: don't think; it can only hurt the ball club. - Crash Davis (1988)

BS Ohio '88 - MA Florida '92 - PhD Florida '10

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,620

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/22/2019 6:19:18 AM 
mid70sbobcat wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
Recovering Journalist wrote:
Some more nice work from the Post here, with talk of the Carter-Saul bond toward the end.

https://www.thepostathens.com/article/2019/03/saul-philli...


Jason Snarkley could really learn a thing or two from this student writer. Extremely well written that summed up the Saul era perfectly and why he's no longer here.


I'm assuming you do NOT have a degree in Journalism. Rather, just another snarky and uninformed comment? THINK before you post such drivel.



BSJ 1983. Please teach me.

Snarkley and Saul have had a Donald Trump-Kim Jong Un thing going for a couple of years now. Only difference is the haircuts.

Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: Akron (sleeper agent)
Post Count: 4,955

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/22/2019 9:16:41 AM 
SBH wrote:
mid70sbobcat wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
Recovering Journalist wrote:
Some more nice work from the Post here, with talk of the Carter-Saul bond toward the end.

https://www.thepostathens.com/article/2019/03/saul-philli...


Jason Snarkley could really learn a thing or two from this student writer. Extremely well written that summed up the Saul era perfectly and why he's no longer here.


I'm assuming you do NOT have a degree in Journalism. Rather, just another snarky and uninformed comment? THINK before you post such drivel.



BSJ 1983. Please teach me.

Snarkley and Saul have had a Donald Trump-Kim Jong Un thing going for a couple of years now. Only difference is the haircuts.


Lets all pray Arkley doesnt fire off any rouge nukes


I've seen crazier things happen.

Black 41 Flash Reverse

Back to Top
  
catfan28
General User

Member Since: 6/11/2011
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 1,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/22/2019 9:29:05 AM 
IMO, beat writers (and journalists) are entitled to their opinions. So long as it's clearly indicated it is an OPINION piece, as Arkley did. I don't fault Arkley for holding the opinion that he does. We can all choose to agree or disagree. Good luck finding any news presented on TV without bias/opinion behind it.
Back to Top
  
Recovering Journalist
General User

Member Since: 8/17/2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Post Count: 1,570

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/22/2019 9:31:58 AM 
mid70sbobcat wrote:

I'm assuming you do NOT have a degree in Journalism. Rather, just another snarky and uninformed comment? THINK before you post such drivel.



I don't think you need a degree in anything to evaluate content, but it shouldn't surprise you that many of us do have journalism degrees and deep communication experience.

Let me ask the Arkleys of the board this: If Saul did everything the same (records, love of the school, players, injuries, etc.) but had Jim Christian's personality, would you be fighting for him like this?
Back to Top
  
bornacatfan
General User



Member Since: 8/3/2006
Post Count: 5,497

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/22/2019 2:48:46 PM 
Recovering Journalist wrote:
\

Let me ask the Arkleys of the board this: If Saul did everything the same (records, love of the school, players, injuries, etc.) but had Jim Christian's personality, would you be fighting for him like this?


Hey RJ. I don't think so but found it interesting that JC was retained today as was Danny Manning (for lack of buyout money according to the Deacon Board). Is an Arkley defined by anyone who liked Saul?


never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Winter comes and asks how you spent your summer.....

The game loves and rewards those who love and reward the game

Back to Top
  
Recovering Journalist
General User

Member Since: 8/17/2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Post Count: 1,570

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/22/2019 2:59:01 PM 
bornacatfan wrote:
Recovering Journalist wrote:
\

Let me ask the Arkleys of the board this: If Saul did everything the same (records, love of the school, players, injuries, etc.) but had Jim Christian's personality, would you be fighting for him like this?


Hey RJ. I don't think so but found it interesting that JC was retained today as was Danny Manning (for lack of buyout money according to the Deacon Board). Is an Arkley defined by anyone who liked Saul?



I don't want to say "liked Saul." Hell, I LIKED Saul. You'd have to be a complete ass to not like the guy.

I'd say an "Arkley" is someone who adamantly believes that Saul deserved an extension after two 14-17 seasons with all of his players and a last-place MAC East finish.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,620

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Carter to Transfer?
   Posted: 3/22/2019 3:00:25 PM 
catfan28 wrote:
IMO, beat writers (and journalists) are entitled to their opinions. So long as it's clearly indicated it is an OPINION piece, as Arkley did. I don't fault Arkley for holding the opinion that he does. We can all choose to agree or disagree. Good luck finding any news presented on TV without bias/opinion behind it.


I have zero problem with a beat reporter writing an opinion piece...if he is intellectually honest in his argument. You can't complain about lack of support and injuries and other issues without also addressing recruiting...or lack thereof. I know, he would argue that Saul couldn't recruit after Year 3 because of the contract situation, but just take a look at the kids he offered over his five-year tenure, and especially in Years 3-5. No one else at our level was targeting these kids. He was not targeting the types of players needed to win in this conference. Snarkley completely ignored this metric. He also chose to ignore the obvious downward trend in attendance, excitement and revenue. His sole argument seems to be that we let Saul down. That's weak.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 75  of 167 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2021 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties