Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread

Topic:  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
Author
Message
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 935

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/13/2019 8:56:43 PM 
I hope Micah Shrewsberry gets a look. Has experience as an assistant at both Butler and Purdue, and had a brief head coaching stint at IU-South Bend. Also brings NBA experience having been on Brad Stevens staff in Boston. Also ran basketball ops at Marshall when they were in the MAC, so has a sense of the league.

I'm pretty firmly in the camp that thinks we should be looking at major assistant coaches. The nature of this job's changed pretty drastically since we hired Christian/Saul, and I think the caliber of experienced head coach we can attract's declined as a result.

Boals' is the popular choice it seems, but unless he just loves his alma mater and wants to be here for the rest of his career, I'm not sure I see the upside for him. He's 46 -- if he has any aspirations of a high major job and a million dollar salary, taking this job just sets him back 3 years or so. On the other hand, if he keeps building what he's building at Stony Brook and makes a tournament in the next year or two, he's probably a reasonably hot commodity for an A10/high end CAA/low-end Big East job on a shorter timeline than he'd be having to rebuild in Athens.



Back to Top
  
bornacatfan
General User



Member Since: 8/3/2006
Post Count: 5,320

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/13/2019 9:21:45 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I hope Micah Shrewsberry gets a look. Has experience as an assistant at both Butler and Purdue, and had a brief head coaching stint at IU-South Bend. Also brings NBA experience having been on Brad Stevens staff in Boston. Also ran basketball ops at Marshall when they were in the MAC, so has a sense of the league.

I'm pretty firmly in the camp that thinks we should be looking at major assistant coaches. The nature of this job's changed pretty drastically since we hired Christian/Saul, and I think the caliber of experienced head coach we can attract's declined as a result.

Boals' is the popular choice it seems, but unless he just loves his alma mater and wants to be here for the rest of his career, I'm not sure I see the upside for him. He's 46 -- if he has any aspirations of a high major job and a million dollar salary, taking this job just sets him back 3 years or so. On the other hand, if he keeps building what he's building at Stony Brook and makes a tournament in the next year or two, he's probably a reasonably hot commodity for an A10/high end CAA/low-end Big East job on a shorter timeline than he'd be having to rebuild in Athens.



Logical post. Shrews is talented and has a lot of skill/recruiting/analytics background. I like that thought.

Also like the assistant coach thought. There is a cadre of next gen assistants coming up with a ton of talent. Pedon, Shrews, the IU asst and a bunch more are ready and chomping at the bit to get a chance. They have put in the time and have the background to take the reigns. Unlike Lavall here at Butler that jumped from Mich asst to one year in the UW Mil system and got plucked to follow Chris at Butler. I was not sold on his as an asst but I think the same fanbase that asked me "who is this guy from Gardner Webb?" is going to get very restless when this personnel and winning slide lavall is bringing last for more than a year. There are some really good assts with midwest recruiting ties that would do a good job here.

Boals is an easy fan choice. No doubt he has coaching chops. Inside track, no doubt. Alum that knows the campus and can sell it....most anyone who has spent time here has that particular passion.

It is going to be a huge carousel. Time to get a ringside seat as we may see many folks shuffling after the FBI s(*t hit the fan and Boards and programs start to clean themselves up. Amazed by all the openings just today.

TOS to WiLLiam and Mary, Tejas A&M, Mercer, SIU, Tenn Tech, Niagara, Fairfield....


Last Edited: 3/14/2019 5:12:05 PM by bornacatfan


never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Winter comes and asks how you spent your summer.....

The game loves and rewards those who love and reward the game

Back to Top
  
ohio9704
General User

Member Since: 2/11/2006
Post Count: 1,176

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/13/2019 9:46:02 PM 
Thad Matta will likely get to pick a major college rebuild job, so dont think we are in his mix. Not a lot of chatter about Pat Kelsey. Makes 227,000 and change with a 225,000 buy out (ouch)

Last Edited: 3/13/2019 9:48:31 PM by ohio9704

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 935

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/13/2019 9:48:29 PM 
ohio9704 wrote:
Thad Matta will likely get to pick a major college rebuild job, so dont think we are in his mix. Not a lot of chatter about Pat Kelsey.


Kelsey accepted and then backed out of the UMass job, which paid close to 1,000,000 annually With incentives. I don't think we can get him, given the market he's already proven exists for him.
Back to Top
  
left lane, hammer down
General User



Member Since: 3/25/2012
Location: Albany International Airport Tower
Post Count: 77

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/13/2019 11:10:42 PM 
OU_Country wrote:
DJCooperBurnerAccount wrote:
https://www.thepostathens.com/article/2019/03/ohio-mens-b...

Article from The Post brings up 4 names:

Boals

Pedon

Dustin Ford

Brannen


Of the four, Brannen is the best candidate. But, as Ted said, getting him to Athens would require more money than I suspect Ohio can pay.


+1 From this list Brannen is the standout. Makes 300K now, JS offers 700K might happen. JS has to up the money to get a wining coach. Not sure what Brannen's buyout is?? Will make the difference.


Back to Top
  
left lane, hammer down
General User



Member Since: 3/25/2012
Location: Albany International Airport Tower
Post Count: 77

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/13/2019 11:36:07 PM 
DJCooperBurnerAccount wrote:
Quote:

Hoping we keep a key member of this staff as an assistant.


Drew?


Whichever one that has the greatest rapport with the players. That can be the continuity between Saul and the next coach.
If not it could be a "dumpster fire" for 2 or 3 years. I will guarantee you every player we have is looking at HIS future tonight. Do I stay and take a chance on the new coach, or do I go with a program that "back channel" talked to me in the last few weeks?? Take a year off, work on my shots, and get ahead on the academic side would be my best way to go??

Last Edited: 3/14/2019 9:23:16 PM by left lane, hammer down

Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 4,051

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 12:10:27 AM 
We should interview Jermaine Jackson of Spire. He can definitely recruit, lol. Seriously, he would be a great assistant coach.


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
RSBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,874

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 12:47:54 AM 
The pressure is all on JS

What can he deliver? The great popcorn in the Rohr room - but "we ran out of game programs" AGAIN - And all time lows attendance?

The JS to WVU talk sure quieted down.....


RS Bobcat

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 795

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 10:54:16 AM 
Pitino or Jans. End of story.

Do you want to win games and sell tickets or do you want to keep the same trajectory?

Last Edited: 3/14/2019 10:54:45 AM by Bobcat Love

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 9,853

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 10:55:21 AM 
Bobcat Love wrote:
Pitino or Jans. End of story.

Do you want to win games and sell tickets or do you want to keep the same trajectory?


Thad Matta, ok with you? ;-)


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 4,051

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 11:21:09 AM 
Bobcat Love wrote:
Pitino or Jans. End of story.

Do you want to win games and sell tickets or do you want to keep the same trajectory?


Pitino slept with an assistant coaches wife along with many other things, I think we should watch the conference tournaments and the tournament and identify some great candidates.


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 795

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 11:29:56 AM 
allen wrote:
Bobcat Love wrote:
Pitino or Jans. End of story.

Do you want to win games and sell tickets or do you want to keep the same trajectory?


Pitino slept with an assistant coaches wife along with many other things, I think we should watch the conference tournaments and the tournament and identify some great candidates.


The President of the United States has had 3 wives and upteen number of affairs. I don't really care.

Back to Top
  
Flomo-genized
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 537

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 11:30:13 AM 
allen wrote:
I think we should watch the conference tournaments and the tournament and identify some great candidates.


I'd suggest that that was the reason we're in the position we are today. We hired Saul largely because he was the hot commodity after a single NCAA win. That's how you make mistakes, hiring someone based on a hot week or two in March, rather than based on the total body of work. What happened this week and next should have little bearing on who we hire. That decision should be made based on what they've accomplished up until now

Last Edited: 3/14/2019 11:30:35 AM by Flomo-genized

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: US33 between Athens and the 'Bus, OH
Post Count: 6,480

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 11:32:53 AM 
left lane, hammer down wrote:
DJCooperBurnerAccount wrote:
Quote:

Hoping we keep a key member of this staff as an assistant.


Drew?


Whichever one that has the greatest rapport with the players. That can be the continuity between Saul and the next coach.
If not it could be a "dumpster fire" for 2 or 3 years. I will guarantee you every player we have is looking at HIS future tonight. Do I stay and take a chance on the new coach, or do I go with a program that "back channel" talked to me in the last few weeks?? That a year off, work on my shots, and get ahead on the academic side would be my best way to go??



Retaining Drew might allow them to retain McDay - the Akron SVSM connection.

Otherwise, I agree with your thoughts above - most of those players are going to be evaluating their options in the next week or two.


Henceforth, you will be known as The Bobcat "Message Board Avenger"

Twitter: @ou_country

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: US33 between Athens and the 'Bus, OH
Post Count: 6,480

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 11:33:25 AM 
Flomo-genized wrote:
allen wrote:
I think we should watch the conference tournaments and the tournament and identify some great candidates.


I'd suggest that that was the reason we're in the position we are today. We hired Saul largely because he was the hot commodity after a single NCAA win. That's how you make mistakes, hiring someone based on a hot week or two in March, rather than based on the total body of work. What happened this week and next should have little bearing on who we hire. That decision should be made based on what they've accomplished up until now


+1.


Henceforth, you will be known as The Bobcat "Message Board Avenger"

Twitter: @ou_country

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 795

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 11:40:21 AM 
Flomo-genized wrote:
allen wrote:
I think we should watch the conference tournaments and the tournament and identify some great candidates.


I'd suggest that that was the reason we're in the position we are today. We hired Saul largely because he was the hot commodity after a single NCAA win. That's how you make mistakes, hiring someone based on a hot week or two in March, rather than based on the total body of work. What happened this week and next should have little bearing on who we hire. That decision should be made based on what they've accomplished up until now


On the flip side we hired Christian after TCU was on the cusp of Kadeem Green'ing his ass.

I'd take the guy who just won a Greek league Championship with a below average roster.
Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,047

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 11:50:57 AM 
Bobcat Love wrote:
Pitino or Jans. End of story.

Do you want to win games and sell tickets or do you want to keep the same trajectory?


Pitino has said he wants to coach pros, not sure about college. He was making $7 mil so he doesn’t need the money, but we’re not in his league money wise-are we?
Can he ever coach college again? Would the NCAA come up with show cause if he tried?

As I said elsewhere, NMSU is trying to get Jans to $400-500K and he has a buyout of 1/2 his remaining 3 years which is $375-750K depending on appropriate salary. Do we have the money to move him here?

Last Edited: 3/14/2019 11:54:08 AM by colobobcat66

Back to Top
  
allen
General User

Member Since: 1/24/2006
Post Count: 4,051

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 12:13:03 PM 
OU_Country wrote:
Flomo-genized wrote:
allen wrote:
I think we should watch the conference tournaments and the tournament and identify some great candidates.


I'd suggest that that was the reason we're in the position we are today. We hired Saul largely because he was the hot commodity after a single NCAA win. That's how you make mistakes, hiring someone based on a hot week or two in March, rather than based on the total body of work. What happened this week and next should have little bearing on who we hire. That decision should be made based on what they've accomplished up until now


+1.


I see your point, I would like us to look for a young assistant that can recruit, a Groce type. Groce recruited mike Conley and Greg oden, and we interviewed him after the tournament and his first recruiting class was amazing.


Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach. Woody Hayes

Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 1,658

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 1:05:22 PM 
Bobcat Love wrote:
Flomo-genized wrote:
allen wrote:
I think we should watch the conference tournaments and the tournament and identify some great candidates.


I'd suggest that that was the reason we're in the position we are today. We hired Saul largely because he was the hot commodity after a single NCAA win. That's how you make mistakes, hiring someone based on a hot week or two in March, rather than based on the total body of work. What happened this week and next should have little bearing on who we hire. That decision should be made based on what they've accomplished up until now


On the flip side we hired Christian after TCU was on the cusp of Kadeem Green'ing his ass.



The "Kadeem Green'ing his ass" phrase will forever live on in the history of BA. Thank you Treg Setty for this gem of a line. I am sorry you played for a complete A-hole like Jim Christian. Finally, Jimmy looks like he's out of good options moving forward in his career. I said when he was hired at BC that he'll be back in the MAC in 5 years...we'll see.



#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
Flomo-genized
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 537

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 1:30:25 PM 
allen wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
Flomo-genized wrote:
allen wrote:
I think we should watch the conference tournaments and the tournament and identify some great candidates.


I'd suggest that that was the reason we're in the position we are today. We hired Saul largely because he was the hot commodity after a single NCAA win. That's how you make mistakes, hiring someone based on a hot week or two in March, rather than based on the total body of work. What happened this week and next should have little bearing on who we hire. That decision should be made based on what they've accomplished up until now


+1.


I see your point, I would like us to look for a young assistant that can recruit, a Groce type. Groce recruited mike Conley and Greg oden, and we interviewed him after the tournament and his first recruiting class was amazing.


I agree completely (although Groce was hired in June, not March). I've argued elsewhere that Schaus's preoccupation with hiring someone with prior head coaching experience is a major problem. The pool of guys who (i) have a successful track record as a head coach, (ii) have recruiting ties to our region, (iii) are within our budget, and (iv) would be interested in coming here is extremely narrow.

Teams at our level do not need to artificially limit the pool of potential candidates to focus only on current head coaches. It's a guaranteed recipe to get a mediocre candidate who won't stay long or has little ambition (as the last two hires have ultimately proven).

The number of examples of mid-majors who have successfully established a winning tradition in recent years after poaching someone else's head coach is extremely small (probably just Wichita). By contrast, almost every dominant mid-majors program has consistently hired top assistants, often promoting from within (Butler, Xavier, Buffalo).

We need to identify a top assistant coach with excellent recruiting skills and a Midwestern base (e.g., Tom Ostrom).

Last Edited: 3/14/2019 1:35:34 PM by Flomo-genized

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: US33 between Athens and the 'Bus, OH
Post Count: 6,480

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 1:45:10 PM 
Flomo-genized wrote:
allen wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
Flomo-genized wrote:
allen wrote:
I think we should watch the conference tournaments and the tournament and identify some great candidates.


I'd suggest that that was the reason we're in the position we are today. We hired Saul largely because he was the hot commodity after a single NCAA win. That's how you make mistakes, hiring someone based on a hot week or two in March, rather than based on the total body of work. What happened this week and next should have little bearing on who we hire. That decision should be made based on what they've accomplished up until now


+1.


I see your point, I would like us to look for a young assistant that can recruit, a Groce type. Groce recruited mike Conley and Greg oden, and we interviewed him after the tournament and his first recruiting class was amazing.


I agree completely (although Groce was hired in June, not March). I've argued elsewhere that Schaus's preoccupation with hiring someone with prior head coaching experience is a major problem. The pool of guys who (i) have a successful track record as a head coach, (ii) have recruiting ties to our region, (iii) are within our budget, and (iv) would be interested in coming here is extremely narrow.

Teams at our level do not need to artificially limit the pool of potential candidates to focus only on current head coaches. It's a guaranteed recipe to get a mediocre candidate who won't stay long or has little ambition (as the last two hires have ultimately proven).

The number of examples of mid-majors who have successfully established a winning tradition in recent years after poaching someone else's head coach is extremely small (probably just Wichita). By contrast, almost every dominant mid-majors program has consistently hired top assistants, often promoting from within (Butler, Xavier, Buffalo).

We need to identify a top assistant coach with excellent recruiting skills and a Midwestern base (e.g., Tom Ostrom).


Can you send that in an email format to the following email address, because you're absolutely right: schaus@ohio.edu


Henceforth, you will be known as The Bobcat "Message Board Avenger"

Twitter: @ou_country

Back to Top
  
bn9
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 406

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 2:23:38 PM 
After today’s result, I am curious if Akron is having buyers remorse and would give us Groce back?
Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,047

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 2:31:55 PM 
bn9 wrote:
After today’s result, I am curious if Akron is having buyers remorse and would give us Groce back?

It seems that without his OSU connections at the time of our hiring him that his recruiting has dropped off. Akron is not exactly stacked 2 years in.
Back to Top
  
PalmerFest
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 395

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 2:55:17 PM 
bn9 wrote:
After today’s result, I am curious if Akron is having buyers remorse and would give us Groce back?


Would welcome Coach Groce back with open arms. As frustrating as some of the mid season losses were, he always had us primed in March.

His recruiting pipeline here looked really good when he left Ohio. Maybe it was residue from OSU, maybe not. I saw Caris LaVert is starting for Brooklyn now. And, he also at least got that Kyryl guy who went to Arizona to come to the convo. He was a high level recruit at the time.

Put Walt on the bench next to him and I think we would be alright.
Back to Top
  
brucecuth
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Post Count: 1,409

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official BobcatAttack Coaching Search Thread
   Posted: 3/14/2019 2:59:17 PM 
Brett Nelson, Associate HC, Marquette.

Brought to my attention by a former Bobcat who has worked in several SEC athletic departments.

From West Va. Has been an assistant at both Marshall and Ball St. so knows something about the territory.

Former standout player at Florida under Billy Donovan.

Young, hungry, aggressive.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 75  of 122 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties